National Signing Day - Wednesday.

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: National Signing Day - Wednesday.

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:32 am

coachouert wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:31 am

BOOM!
Yesssir!

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:59 am

stevo
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by stevo » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:06 am

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:26 am
Didn't fix the crummy graphic.

Also agree. I can not believe they didn't fix this. Stupid mistake.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:16 am

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:22 am

Excited already about the 2024 season, the coaching staff seems to have done a great job of bringing in a few transfers to replace the portal departures and graduations at OL, DT, and TE while overall still using an approach focused on recruiting and developing high school players. Go Cats!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:27 am

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:43 am

Just waiting on the Cats to post something on Burckley. Not sure what the hold up is there. I know Burckley is a PWO but so is Superales.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:00 pm

Bobcat starter/depth needs after our guys transferred out:

LB (starter level and backup level) - after a lot of them from the FBS level...we just need to push our developmental guys and have a guy to match or exceed Danny U or McCade when on the field
K (starter level) - after a pile of them
S (starter or backup level) - take our time and find the right fit
QB (starter level) - not sure the coaches want one but I would try to bring in another big QB type who can excel in the run game. Chance Wilson has a big opportunity this spring to be the #2.

DT (starter level) - signed Alec Eckert from Washington State
CB (starter or backup level) - take our time and find the right fit ala Jon Johnson from last year or sign a bunch of freshman...which we did
OL (starter or backup level - signed Samora Ezekiel from North Texas and Dylan Rollins from BYU
H-back (starter level) - signed Rohan Jones from Maine

The bolded positions are the ones we've restocked while the top 4 are ones we should still recruit in my opinion. LB and K are the two biggest remaining as the coaches really like what they have at S and the competition for that 4th guy in the rotation. The QB one is just a personal opinion because I liked the Chambers role so much and Tommy has never made it through a full season healthy. However, it does lead me to believe Vigen is very confident in Reed or Wilson taking on a bigger role this year. RB, WR, TE, DE to me are all good to go with who we have coming back and the young, developing depth at those positions.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:08 pm

With the Superales signing, if we grab a QB from the portal does that mean Duchien is the odd man out or would there still be a spot for him in the room?

Should we be at all surprised that we didn't get a LB yet or was the assumption always that the spot(s) wouldn't be filled until the summer? I know it's too late for a transfer to take spring classes but that didn't stop us from getting other transfers.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:14 pm

I know we are returning a LOT of players and are not losing as much as most teams would in a normal year. What is the total head count for new players coming in for 2024 at this point? My buddy said the Griz have around 30 new players. Seems like a lot, but I know they lost a lot more than the Cats.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:25 pm

catatac wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:14 pm
I know we are returning a LOT of players and are not losing as much as most teams would in a normal year. What is the total head count for new players coming in for 2024 at this point? My buddy said the Griz have around 30 new players. Seems like a lot, but I know they lost a lot more than the Cats.
26 players have signed with MSU so far, consisting of 22 high school players and 4 transfers (Ezekiel, Eckert, Jones, and Rollins).

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:33 pm

Sorry if it's been asked and answered elsewhere, but do we know if the 3 transfers (minus Rollins as I believe he's still on his mission?) are in school currently?

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:48 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:33 pm
Sorry if it's been asked and answered elsewhere, but do we know if the 3 transfers (minus Rollins as I believe he's still on his mission?) are in school currently?
Rohan Jones was announced as a January transfer, so it seems safe to assume that he's in school and the rest will join the team over the summer for Fall Camp.

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:51 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:48 pm
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Rohan Jones was announced as a January transfer, so it seems safe to assume that he's in school and the rest will join the team over the summer for Fall Camp.
Thanks for the info and I'm guessing you're right. I guess we'll get confirmation at spring ball.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:06 pm

MSU01 wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Eckert is already with the team as he's been in the workout photos posted on social media. Assuming Samora is there as well. Rollins won't join until the summer.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:08 pm

MSU01 wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Samora and Eckert are also on campus this semester.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:08 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:25 pm
catatac wrote:
26 players have signed with MSU so far, consisting of 22 high school players and 4 transfers (Ezekiel, Eckert, Jones, and Rollins).
And we lose 11 seniors, 8 so far to the portal, and 1 that I’m aware of in retirement (Abshire from Flores tweet yesterday).

I’m sure there are some others that have or will be retiring, but as it stands right now we’re +6 on the player count based off of the info out there.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:18 pm

Catsrgrood wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:08 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:25 pm
catatac wrote:
And we lose 11 seniors, 8 so far to the portal, and 1 that I’m aware of in retirement (Abshire from Flores tweet yesterday).

I’m sure there are some others that have or will be retiring, but as it stands right now we’re +6 on the player count based off of the info out there.
Bear Old left the team as well. I'm sure there will be more after Spring Ball, there always is. I count 83 players still on the roster, minus Coon and Abshire, who are still on there for some reason.

stevo
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by stevo » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:37 pm

Au Blue
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Au Blue » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:41 pm

The blurry graphics are a huge fail. After trying to read the first couple of signings on Twitter, I gave up. They made me a little nauseous... but, I also have failing eyes.

Too bad the recruits are provided with this horrible design to commemorate one of the biggest days of their athletic careers. <end rant>