Injuries Question

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

cat-o-nine
BobcatNation Letterman

Injuries Question

Post by cat-o-nine » Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:46 pm

How is it that the Cats can't run out of the locker room without 3 key players getting seriously injured, and these other teams (SDSU, UM, & NDSU) only occasionally lose a player for a play or two? It boggles my mind!
And this isn't just a "this year" thing. Happens every year!

KIX
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Injuries Question

Post by KIX » Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:16 pm

cat-o-nine wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:46 pm
How is it that the Cats can't run out of the locker room without 3 key players getting seriously injured, and these other teams (SDSU, UM, & NDSU) only occasionally lose a player for a play or two? It boggles my mind!
Been wondering that myself all year (and last). Came up in another post about the double reps in practice and being a double edged sword, of sorts. I say MSU take a closer look at the double reps philosophy and possible extra strain in the off season. It is concerning, though, when your listed #1's and #2's go down during weekly practice.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:42 pm

KIX wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:16 pm
cat-o-nine wrote:
Been wondering that myself all year (and last). Came up in another post about the double reps in practice and being a double edged sword, of sorts. I say MSU take a closer look at the double reps philosophy and possible extra strain in the off season. It is concerning, though, when your listed #1's and #2's go down during weekly practice.
Don’t the bison also have a double rep practice system?

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

jgrilley406
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jgrilley406 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:07 pm

cat-o-nine wrote:
NDSU’s best DL didn’t play against the griz and their big (tall) WR was knocked out early in the game with an apparent shoulder injury after his catch.

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:54 am

I don't pay much attention to the Gris but I do know that they were missing like their top 2 guards when they played us? Not saying that player was a star but they have injured players too. Sometimes you just have to be lucky and have all the right players not be injured at the right time (playoffs and big games) Unfortunately for us, Snell was missing for all of our most important games so it stings more IMO

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:51 pm

We really really really missed Snell. That dude was a big difference maker with his blocking.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:12 pm

Bobcats play a really physical style of football. Gonna lend itself to injury. I'd be interested in seeing the number of games missed by the starters from, say, the Top 8 or 16 teams.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:02 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:42 pm
KIX wrote:
cat-o-nine wrote:
Yes they do, that's why Vigen brought it here. Great point.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:54 am

91catAlum wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:02 pm
AFCAT wrote:
KIX wrote:
cat-o-nine wrote:
I'm not super familiar with the system, but I believe the double rep system doesn't put more strain on the 1s and 2s, it just gives the other players more opportunity to practice, instead of sitting on the sidelines. Maybe, someone more familiar with how it works can chime in. I always thought it was basically like running two practices at the same time with 1s versus 3s and 2s versus 4s, or something like that.

Just found this:
https://coachesinsider.com/football/dou ... a-st-univ/

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:29 am

MSU would be smart to get a graduate Physical Therapy program. It’s a big benefit to UM.

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:09 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:29 am
MSU would be smart to get a graduate Physical Therapy program. It’s a big benefit to UM.
The likelihood of the BOR approving a new program like that when UM already has it, is pretty slim unfortunately.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:19 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:54 am
91catAlum wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:02 pm
AFCAT wrote:
KIX wrote:
cat-o-nine wrote:
I'm not super familiar with the system, but I believe the double rep system doesn't put more strain on the 1s and 2s, it just gives the other players more opportunity to practice, instead of sitting on the sidelines. Maybe, someone more familiar with how it works can chime in. I always thought it was basically like running two practices at the same time with 1s versus 3s and 2s versus 4s, or something like that.

Just found this:
https://coachesinsider.com/football/dou ... a-st-univ/
. I think a lot of people think it means every player is doing double the reps that other teams do and therefore getting worn down and injured. It just means that there are two practices going on at the same time. So instead of practice reps happening in one location they’re happening in two locations so that everyone (double the normal amount of players) gets reps.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Clinton T
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Clinton T » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:22 pm

We were unlucky with injuries this year but so were many other teams (NDSU, UM, Furman, etc). Some years the depth is great in certain positions hit particularly hard with injuries and other years (like our LB and TE groups this year) it was definitely a factor. UM had a lot of injuries on the OL but was able to overcome them. We could not.

What it really comes down to, in my opinion, is a lot of luck...and guess what guys - we played some damn good teams and lost. They were better plain and simple. Life goes on and next year we might be the team who puts everything together for a run. Looking forward to the ups and downs next year (hopefully many more ups than downs!!!).

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:33 pm

coachouert wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:09 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
The likelihood of the BOR approving a new program like that when UM already has it, is pretty slim unfortunately.
I know, but it sure would be handy. It’s too bad the universities can’t make decisions without needing the BOR.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:47 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:33 pm
coachouert wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
I know, but it sure would be handy. It’s too bad the universities can’t make decisions without needing the BOR.
Is the PT program really involved with the football program these days?

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:07 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:47 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
coachouert wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
I’m sure they could figure something out where you can use them as trainers, help with rehab, and most importantly, do it cheaply.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:19 pm

Clinton T wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:22 pm
We were unlucky with injuries this year but so were many other teams (NDSU, UM, Furman, etc). Some years the depth is great in certain positions hit particularly hard with injuries and other years (like our LB and TE groups this year) it was definitely a factor. UM had a lot of injuries on the OL but was able to overcome them. We could not.

What it really comes down to, in my opinion, is a lot of luck...and guess what guys - we played some damn good teams and lost. They were better plain and simple. Life goes on and next year we might be the team who puts everything together for a run. Looking forward to the ups and downs next year (hopefully many more ups than downs!!!).
Good post. Only thing I disagree with is they were better. On those days they won. Griz were only team that looked better day we played. Other games was just who made a play and who didn't.

Sports is not bigger than life

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:24 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:07 pm
wbtfg wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
coachouert wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
I’m sure they could figure something out where you can use them as trainers, help with rehab, and most importantly, do it cheaply.
My wife went to PT school in Missoula. I don’t think they did anything with the athletic dept. maybe they do now?

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:04 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:24 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:07 pm
wbtfg wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
coachouert wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
My wife went to PT school in Missoula. I don’t think they did anything with the athletic dept. maybe they do now?
I don’t know if they do either tbh, but I don’t know why they couldn’t. Just seems like in a high cost of living area, any avenue to get more affordable labor is beneficial.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:49 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:19 pm
Clinton T wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:22 pm

Good post. Only thing I disagree with is they were better. On those days they won. Griz were only team that looked better day we played. Other games was just who made a play and who didn't.
Great posts here. I always get a chuckle when people suggest we need drastic changes to the process, i.e. the Physical Therapy deal, better strength and condition coach and program, stop the double repping, recruit more durable players (lol), etc. All of Griz Nation was saying the exact same thing after MSU took them to the woodshed in 2019, then again in 2020 even though they beat us because we went to Frisco, and then certainly in 2021 when the Cats destroyed them again and went to semi's, etc. This Cat program is still in a very good place right now.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!