Daly promoted to defensive coordinator

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BobcatBuiltTexan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: Daly promoted to defensive coordinator

Post by BobcatBuiltTexan » Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:35 pm

So as a new bobcat fan... been following some of these Texas boys for a minute.. this is a weird thread. Was really looking to get some insight on coach Daly maybe get a read on how the msu faithful feel about the hire etc.... and most of this thread is about the offense and rpo scheme.. with a little disdain for ST play this year.

Any info on Daly/Howe and what that looks like for the defense this upcoming year?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:39 pm

BobcatBuiltTexan wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:35 pm
So as a new bobcat fan... been following some of these Texas boys for a minute.. this is a weird thread. Was really looking to get some insight on coach Daly maybe get a read on how the msu faithful feel about the hire etc.... and most of this thread is about the offense and rpo scheme.. with a little disdain for ST play this year.

Any info on Daly/Howe and what that looks like for the defense this upcoming year?
First of all; Welcome to BN. Just remember - FTG ESG GCG!

Daly is a Bobcat legacy. He was an All-American linebacker for the Cats and has been coaching here for a while now. He is just taking on the additional responsibility of DC and I have no doubt he and Howe will work together to make the defense even better. I doubt you will find anyone that doesn't respect Daly. Howe is kind of quiet social media-wise (so is Daly) and I don't know much about him, but he has helped build the D-line into one of the best in the nation. I'll try and find a video on him for you.

https://msubobcats.com/staff-directory/bobby-daly/291

Here is some study material for you.

Daly is interviewed in this video.

Mic'd up segment

Howe mic'd up.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:54 pm

BobcatBuiltTexan wrote:

Thank you for getting this thread back on track. Bobby Daly is a great dude and a Bobcat legend. Bobby came to MSU as a walk-on linebacker, and finished his career as an All-American. His brother, Brad, was a Buck Buchanan Award winner, and his dad played for MSU and was a long time high school coach in Montana.

Bobby has coached at MSU and University of Idaho where he coached and mentored the current starting linebackers for the Atlanta Falcons, Troy Andersen and Kaden Elliss.

I think a lot of MSU fans were disappointed when Bobby was passed over for the DC position and Willie Mack Garza was hired. That said, Bobby stayed loyal to the program and continued to pay his dues as a position coach. I don't think anyone has any doubt that Bobby is ready for this position. In fact, if/when Coach Vigen moves on, I would anticipate that Bobby will be an instant fan favorite to be the next head coach here in Bozeman.

As for Howe, he came to MSU from USC and I think a lot of fans first reaction was "how in the heck did we get that guy to coach here?!?!?" He has proven to be a very good DL coach, and the players seem to love him. While Bobby has more of a quiet intensity, Shawn is more fiery and emotional....in a good way. I would say both are very much players coaches.
Last edited by wbtfg on Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:51 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:54 pm
BobcatBuiltTexan wrote:

Thank you for getting this thread back on track. Bobby Daly is a great dude and a Bobcat legend. Bobby came to MSU as a walk-on linebacker, and finished his career as an All-American. His brother, Brad, was a Buck Buchanan Award winner, and his dad played for MSU and was a long time high school coach in Montana.

Bobby has coached at MSU and University of Idaho where he coached and mentored the current starting linebackers for the Atlanta Falcons, Troy Andersen and Kaden Elliss.

I think a lot of MSU fans were disappointed when Bobby was passed over for the DC position and Willie Mack Garza was hired. That said, Bobby stayed loyal to the program and continued to pay his dues as a position coach. I don't think anyone has any doubt that Bobby is ready for this position. In fact, if/when Coach Vigen moves on, I would anticipate that Bobby will be an instant fan favorite to be the next head coach here in Bozeman.

As for Howe, he came to MSU from USC and I think a lot of fans first reaction was "how in the heck did we get that guy to coach here?!?!?" He has proven to be a very good DL coach, and the players seem to love him. While Bobby is has more of a quiet intensity, Shawn is more fiery and emotional....in a good way. I would say both are very much players coaches.
FYI, the Daly sons (Bobby & Brad) played for Helena Capital High School (AA class, highest in MT) and their Dad Jay played on the O-liine for the CATS. I believe both Bobby & Brad were team captains also. Here's his bio...... https://msubobcats.com/staff-directory/bobby-daly/291 .

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:00 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:54 pm
BobcatBuiltTexan wrote:

As for Howe, he came to MSU from USC and I think a lot of fans first reaction was "how in the heck did we get that guy to coach here?!?!?" He has proven to be a very good DL coach, and the players seem to love him. While Bobby is has more of a quiet intensity, Shawn is more fiery and emotional....in a good way. I would say both are very much players coaches.
Actually Vimsince... I mean Kane Ioane is the instant fan favorite for the next HC, then Bobby.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:06 pm

Bobby is very, very, competitive, very driven, and his players love him. He has worked with and developed some very good LB’s in his career, and he learned under some good defensive coaches. He came to MSU and wasn’t long on athletic ability, but was a complete SOB on the field and as smart as they come. Hes the ideal defensive coach, imo.

Howe has had a good, and interesting career. Coached at Montana Tech or Western, analyst at USC, and has been a strength coach. Intense, developed a lot of good players, seems like the players really like him.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:36 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:06 pm
Bobby is very, very, competitive, very driven, and his players love him. He has worked with and developed some very good LB’s in his career, and he learned under some good defensive coaches. He came to MSU and wasn’t long on athletic ability, but was a complete SOB on the field and as smart as they come. Hes the ideal defensive coach, imo.

Howe has had a good, and interesting career. Coached at Montana Tech or Western, analyst at USC, and has been a strength coach. Intense, developed a lot of good players, seems like the players really like him.
I thought I remember Bobby being tough and fast... but maybe I'm remembering. I know for a fact Brad was both of those things.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

BobcatBuiltTexan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BobcatBuiltTexan » Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:49 pm

I appreciate the insight on the change/new guard. I can tell you the McMillan kid is special. He will instantly become the fastest kid on the team but he isn't just a fast kid he knows the game. I watched him for two years and he didn't give up one td in coverage. He comes from a line of d1 athletes... mom was a track star in hs and ran track at rice... dad was a top notch cb at rice and coached cbs for several years.... his older brother plays wr at hcu. Everyone in his family could fly. He knows what college football is about and what it takes to succeed. To put his speed in perspective he and his brother were clocked at 22mph several times this year, only two guys in the nfl have ran faster. I'll be watching to see how he'll help yall win an NC this year. I don't know all the guys from this year's class but I would say based off his production and ability he's the hidden gem of this class. I hope with the DC change they take advantage of his ability to take away the best wr on the other team.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:03 pm

BobcatBuiltTexan wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:49 pm
I appreciate the insight on the change/new guard. I can tell you the McMillan kid is special. He will instantly become the fastest kid on the team but he isn't just a fast kid he knows the game. I watched him for two years and he didn't give up one td in coverage. He comes from a line of d1 athletes... mom was a track star in hs and ran track at rice... dad was a top notch cb at rice and coached cbs for several years.... his older brother plays wr at hcu. Everyone in his family could fly. He knows what college football is about and what it takes to succeed. To put his speed in perspective he and his brother were clocked at 22mph several times this year, only two guys in the nfl have ran faster. I'll be watching to see how he'll help yall win an NC this year. I don't know all the guys from this year's class but I would say based off his production and ability he's the hidden gem of this class. I hope with the DC change they take advantage of his ability to take away the best wr on the other team.
That is smokin'. That is serious fast...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

BobcatBuiltTexan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BobcatBuiltTexan » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:43 pm

RickRund wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:03 pm
BobcatBuiltTexan wrote:
His pops posted this during the season

I did some research and currently he's ranked in the top five in Texas(a serious track state) in the 100 200 LJ and TJ... his 4x2 and 4x1 team is also favored to make it to state. It'll be interesting to see what events his track coach actually puts him in.

Justwinbaby
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Justwinbaby » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:43 am

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:39 pm
BobcatBuiltTexan wrote:

Daly is a Bobcat legacy. He was an All-American linebacker for the Cats and has been coaching here for a while now. He is just taking on the additional responsibility of DC and I have no doubt he and Howe will work together to make the defense even better. I doubt you will find anyone that doesn't respect Daly. Howe is kind of quiet social media-wise (so is Daly) and I don't know much about him, but he has helped build the D-line into one of the best in the nation. I'll try and find a video on him for you.

Mic'd up segment

Howe mic'd up.
We welcome new fans by telling them to remember the griz?

Seriously, our fan base needs a generational turnover...stuck in amateurville.

Do better.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:24 am

Even the new guy knows you're a gris using a creative writing degree to the best of your ability.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:39 am

CodyCat wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:39 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:19 pm
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:45 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:57 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:40 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:48 pm
lutecat wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:51 pm
Here me out. I'd guess that our offensive struggles were a case of defenses figuring out how to confuse Tommy. Tommy will be hitting the film this off-season and figuring it out. CN has said in the past that we run like 4 plays. It's up to Tommy at the line to decide what happens based on what the D shows. At Idaho I heard someone say they showed him a bunch of false fronts. I think the griz figures out more of that.
Don’t put this on Tommy. It is the coordinators job to put the players and team in a position to succeed. At the Idaho game, we decide to pass against the number one passing defense in the conference. All while we had one of the top rushing attacks in the country. Totally mind boggling.
A lot of those plays were RPO’s where the QB read that the “correct” option was to pass.
Stats show 25 pass attempts to 24 rushing against the top rated pass defense in the conference. Strong offensive line. Loaded RB room. Top rushing offense. Skip the RPO, and hand the damn ball off. That is on the OC. It is not complicated.
Biggest misperception in college football, across the country. In the NFL (and in high school) play callers exploit mis matches. That happens a certain amount in college. But when you are an all-out system offense, which MSU is (RPO and spread option mixed), you rarely ever call plays of any sort, especially in the first half. You box count, see fronts, make your choice on your priority read, attack, read again, either flourish or not.
Cmon Colter. The Offensive Coordinator’s job is to develop a game plan to put their team in the best position to win. That includes making changes to the game plan and adapting to take advantage of the opponent’s weaknesses. Our first 3 series at Idaho yielded 9 plays for 14 yards. We passed 3 times on the first 4 plays. Here is an idea: give it to the RB Davis who was playing like a man possessed. Sorry, but that is on the man in charge, the OC.
I will never understand why we don't utilize our running backs more. I understand the RPO thing. But, with our line and our backs. Call some plays that are designed runs for the RBs.
RPOs are basically automatic reads and with as much attention as the running game gets from the defense, the pass option seems to be the read on those plays as extra defenders are used to try and stop the run.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:15 am

Justwinbaby wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:43 am
AFCAT wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:39 pm
BobcatBuiltTexan wrote:

Mic'd up segment

Howe mic'd up.
We welcome new fans by telling them to remember the griz?

Seriously, our fan base needs a generational turnover...stuck in amateurville.

Do better.
I’m so sorry to have upset you, Skippy. Do you need a hug?

I do believe we should teach new fans about the rivalry early.

Thanks for wanting me to die off but I plan to stick around a long time.

I do really well though, but thanks for the advice.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:50 am

BobcatBuiltTexan wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:43 pm
RickRund wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:03 pm
BobcatBuiltTexan wrote:
His pops posted this during the season

I did some research and currently he's ranked in the top five in Texas(a serious track state) in the 100 200 LJ and TJ... his 4x2 and 4x1 team is also favored to make it to state. It'll be interesting to see what events his track coach actually puts him in.
That's incredible. Excited for this kid.

Welcome to the board!

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:02 pm

Jason Petrino is out at NDSU.. do you think MSU make a run at him for DBs? He certainly has the resume and experience with this defense + Montana ties

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:10 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:02 pm
Jason Petrino is out at NDSU.. do you think MSU make a run at him for DBs? He certainly has the resume and experience with this defense + Montana ties
Seems like it would be a great fit for us, but after so much time as a HC or coordinator, not sure he'd be interested in being a position coach at this level.

I could totally seeing him being Safeties coach at a place like Nevada or Arkansas.

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:12 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:10 pm
Bozcat003 wrote:
Seems like it would be a great fit for us, but after so much time as a HC or coordinator, not sure he'd be interested in being a position coach at this level.

I could totally seeing him being Safeties coach at a place like Nevada or Arkansas.
That's true - his resume is probably a bit out of reach for a DB job here without a "Co-DC" Title - which isn't happening this year.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:14 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:12 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:10 pm
Bozcat003 wrote:

That's true - his resume is probably a bit out of reach for a DB job here without a "Co-DC" Title - which isn't happening this year.
That said, I think Bobby had "Associate Head Coach" title, so I suppose that's a possibility to bump pay a little bit.