Insanity!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Insanity!

Post by onceacat » Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:49 pm

Bear Spray II wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:46 pm
aucat wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:29 pm
Capitalism? What's next? Demanding to get paid to play for my church softball team? I mean, hey, they take up an offering every Sunday and I should get my cut right? It's a free market.

What happened to the value of getting an academic scholarship with all of your tuition, books food, housing and extra expenses covered?

WHen you get on here and say "free market" are you saying you don't believe in necessary restrictions to prevent monopolies? Because that's what will happen in a completely unregulated "free market." There will be a handful of schools in what ever conference or Division who will have billionaires and will go out and buy up their team so they can acheive their "MANHOOD." I don't know how much money Washington has but would you be okay with him paying millions so his beloved Griz can buy the best talent in the FCS?

Any "free market" needs to have boundaries..Guard rails, Regs. Whatever you want to call it. College football right now is a runaway train going straight to hell. At least in the NFL you have rules that regulate draft picks, etc. This current college model is unsustainable. THat should be clear to any reasonable person.

It's one thing for a wealthy individual like Washington to donate money for facilities, etc. In fact, I BELIEVE they fund the UM softball program and if anyone was willing to do the same at MSU we would probably have a softball program also. However, to basically purchase the players is something altogether different. Plus you have this wide open no penalty transfer where you can make lateral transfers within your division without having to sit out a year as you once had to.

If I had it my way a college coach could not get paid more than the highest paid professor at that college. If the coach doesn't like that then fine, he/she can go to the pros. Anyway, it is a total mess and the NCAA better start figuring it out. They could at least begin by not allowing penalty free transfers.
You're a radical, liberal, fanatical, criminal! :lol: The NCAA has to place a total limit a University can compensate any one player, and a total limit a team can spend annually on NIL. Then they need to pool all the NIL money and distribute it EVENLY among the universities. NIL was supposed to give financial aid & compensation to student athletes, not destroy recruiting and promote the 'what can I get' attitude. Grow some stones NCAA!
How is it that this works for the NFL & the NBA...but can't work for the NFL Development League (er, um, I meant "College Athletics")

FatBuffalo
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by FatBuffalo » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:04 pm

The NCAA has made money off players for far to long, its about time the players can make money of their skill set and talent.

Someone should sue the NCAA for back pay for all the players that were made slave and paid nothing.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:12 pm

In my mind, I keep saying why do I help fund any of this stuff anymore? I don't have the deep pockets or type of organization that will benefit from donating. That leads me to say that since I have zero say why not let Daddy Warbucks fund it all. If I'm interested I can watch the games I want for 11 bucks a month, during the season. Much of my interest in the game has been killed. I can't see anybody making $100,000 that plays for us, but it all just gives me a bad vibe.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:50 pm

nanacat wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:51 pm
If this whole NIL thing started because a college used a players name, image, likeness, without compensation for that, then either the NCAA better rein it in back to that, or it should be called what it's become-College Free Agency/Pay to Play. It will destroy college sports probably faster than we think.
I can appreciate the fact that players commit time, effort, etc, to play/perform and make money for the school they play for but that was their CHOICE, no one made them play a college sport. Those that do, and get a scholarship, also get alot more than tuition, clothing, books, and room and board. They also get weight/strength training & coaching, dietary/nutrition coaching, let alone the hours their position coaches spend making them better. On top of that, in order to stay eligible they must keep their grades up, so there is tutoring available to them at a different level than your standard college student. And now, NIL for the standout players.
I saw something the other day that I wish I had saved regarding the percentage of HS athletes who get to play college sports at all, let alone a scholarship to play. Then another percentage of those who become starters, then the percentage who make it into the pros. Needless to say the percentages were super low. The purpose of the post had to do with encouraging kids towards reality, like an education that will provide a living income, prioritizing friends, family, etc.
I think this whole deal is setting up more entitlement. When reality finally hits that they're not as good as they thought they were, or the NFL/Pro opportunities don't come pouring in, there will be many young people very sad and regretful that will have to figure out how to live a normal life like the rest of us.
I also kinda wonder when some women athletes are going to start pushing or suing to get equal monies. There are currently some high dollar NIL agreements with a few of the WBB at major universities, I believe Miami,LSU to name a couple. I haven't heard if Caitlyn Clark has one at Iowa but suspect she does. What about the golf ladies, women's track, women's volleyball..... by Title IX the school has to provide funds equitably among women and men's sports....if the NIL contributors are in anyway associated with school foundations, alumni organizations, or coach involvement in direction of distribution of NIL funds ...can women athletes sue because schools are not giving equal monies to coaches, to development facilities and broadcasting or advertising or marketing their sports with similar effort or lower contract amounts.... or not scheduling quality athletic opportunities... or not having the same tax/donor funding committed to school training and facilities as men's athletics (example we are about to spend $25,000,000 for an IPF) with a push by schools administrators/athletic departments to raise those funds privately.... are we pushing donors for an additional $25,000,000 to build new facilities for women's athletes so they can perform to a higher level and get more exposure to NIL funding. Funds for some athletic expansions (not all) are funded by student fees and votes on those fees... so Im a bit in a quandary how I would vote as a student to provide additional funds for athletes so they can enhance their skills on my donor dollars and get six or severn figure salaries while I'm working to pay for my school. I'm wondering if we start paying those students that do public service commercials for UM or MSU during the commercial breaks. Do we pay the professors added stipends that we use to taut our educational expertise at MSU in announcements? Does President Cruzado deserve an additional stipend whenever someone uses her picture or name in an article or blog? Why do I continue to donate to support the kids so they can go to summer school and leave earlier as a grad transfer? Why do I want my tax dollars to support university athletics in anyway as I would rather the funds go to support the other 16500 kids not in athletics that are seeking future careers. Should we consider dropping institutional support of college athletics and focus on education because we don't have a "sugar daddy or sugar lady or mega broadcast contract to compete in the new era"...... at the same time seek private funding to buy all athletic facilities and commercialize some of athletics with a fee for the use of the trainers, nutritionists, coaching and development, make a true free market enterprise... a kid wanting to make himself better so he can earn six or seven figures has to pay for his or her development and he/she has to compete academically if they want a scholarship to attend the nearby institution focused on education. Back in 1889 when MSU/UM were founded as institutions would we even started athletic programs knowing we were going to compete in this environment? Just an afternoon rant...... I don't have an answer but I suspect there are more changes coming than we can foresee blabbing on a message board. I love athletics at MSU but I am not interested in supporting a semi-pro development institution or farm team for the wealthy FBS schools and if we are truly going to be a free market athletic institution, I want to see some of the other kids out there busting their butt getting dollars too and MSU getting compensated for dollars we spent committing to their development if they decide to leave.

Norsky19
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Norsky19 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:18 pm

FatBuffalo wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:04 pm
The NCAA has made money off players for far to long, its about time the players can make money of their skill set and talent.

Someone should sue the NCAA for back pay for all the players that were made slave and paid nothing.
Free tuition/room/board and voluntarily playing a game is equivalent to slave??? Please. =;

BgCATfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BgCATfan » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:27 pm

FatBuffalo wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:04 pm

Who MADE them play ?

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:41 pm

onceacat wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:46 pm
tetoncat wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:36 pm
NAIA, D2, D3, and JC kids face same issues with injury and time commitments. No huge money coming there way. I get that athletes deserve some. The problem with revenue sharing is that as an organization a college or university is using funds from revenue sports to fund non or low revenue sports. If you paid out profits from one the others will likely go away. That creates the issues with equal scholarships.

Now throw in NIL. Purpose wasn't to pay players to just show up and play. It was to pay them for using their identity to create income on jerseys, promo items, advertisements, etc. Doesn't seem like that part would be that hard for NCAA and their me.bers to put controls in place.
I dont think this is remotely true. TV football contracts pay for facilities & coaches, not for a swim or cross country team.

My kid runs D1 cross country but the school doesnt even have a football team. Hard to argue that somehow football pays for that.
That school is choosing to lose money on a program and subsidizing from either institutional support or that they believe sports benefits school overall. So a football player should get 4 million a year because football makes money, but your cross country student shouldn't?

Sports is not bigger than life

nanacat

Post by nanacat » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:10 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:50 pm
nanacat wrote:
If this whole NIL thing started because a college used a players name, image, likeness, without compensation for that, then either the NCAA better rein it in back to that, or it should be called what it's become-College Free Agency/Pay to Play. It will destroy college sports probably faster than we think.
I can appreciate the fact that players commit time, effort, etc, to play/perform and make money for the school they play for but that was their CHOICE, no one made them play a college sport. Those that do, and get a scholarship, also get alot more than tuition, clothing, books, and room and board. They also get weight/strength training & coaching, dietary/nutrition coaching, let alone the hours their position coaches spend making them better. On top of that, in order to stay eligible they must keep their grades up, so there is tutoring available to them at a different level than your standard college student. And now, NIL for the standout players.
I saw something the other day that I wish I had saved regarding the percentage of HS athletes who get to play college sports at all, let alone a scholarship to play. Then another percentage of those who become starters, then the percentage who make it into the pros. Needless to say the percentages were super low. The purpose of the post had to do with encouraging kids towards reality, like an education that will provide a living income, prioritizing friends, family, etc.
I think this whole deal is setting up more entitlement. When reality finally hits that they're not as good as they thought they were, or the NFL/Pro opportunities don't come pouring in, there will be many young people very sad and regretful that will have to figure out how to live a normal life like the rest of us.
I also kinda wonder when some women athletes are going to start pushing or suing to get equal monies. There are currently some high dollar NIL agreements with a few of the WBB at major universities, I believe Miami,LSU to name a couple. I haven't heard if Caitlyn Clark has one at Iowa but suspect she does. What about the golf ladies, women's track, women's volleyball..... by Title IX the school has to provide funds equitably among women and men's sports....if the NIL contributors are in anyway associated with school foundations, alumni organizations, or coach involvement in direction of distribution of NIL funds ...can women athletes sue because schools are not giving equal monies to coaches, to development facilities and broadcasting or advertising or marketing their sports with similar effort or lower contract amounts.... or not scheduling quality athletic opportunities... or not having the same tax/donor funding committed to school training and facilities as men's athletics (example we are about to spend $25,000,000 for an IPF) with a push by schools administrators/athletic departments to raise those funds privately.... are we pushing donors for an additional $25,000,000 to build new facilities for women's athletes so they can perform to a higher level and get more exposure to NIL funding. Funds for some athletic expansions (not all) are funded by student fees and votes on those fees... so Im a bit in a quandary how I would vote as a student to provide additional funds for athletes so they can enhance their skills on my donor dollars and get six or severn figure salaries while I'm working to pay for my school. I'm wondering if we start paying those students that do public service commercials for UM or MSU during the commercial breaks. Do we pay the professors added stipends that we use to taut our educational expertise at MSU in announcements? Does President Cruzado deserve an additional stipend whenever someone uses her picture or name in an article or blog? Why do I continue to donate to support the kids so they can go to summer school and leave earlier as a grad transfer? Why do I want my tax dollars to support university athletics in anyway as I would rather the funds go to support the other 16500 kids not in athletics that are seeking future careers. Should we consider dropping institutional support of college athletics and focus on education because we don't have a "sugar daddy or sugar lady or mega broadcast contract to compete in the new era"...... at the same time seek private funding to buy all athletic facilities and commercialize some of athletics with a fee for the use of the trainers, nutritionists, coaching and development, make a true free market enterprise... a kid wanting to make himself better so he can earn six or seven figures has to pay for his or her development and he/she has to compete academically if they want a scholarship to attend the nearby institution focused on education. Back in 1889 when MSU/UM were founded as institutions would we even started athletic programs knowing we were going to compete in this environment? Just an afternoon rant...... I don't have an answer but I suspect there are more changes coming than we can foresee blabbing on a message board. I love athletics at MSU but I am not interested in supporting a semi-pro development institution or farm team for the wealthy FBS schools and if we are truly going to be a free market athletic institution, I want to see some of the other kids out there busting their butt getting dollars too and MSU getting compensated for dollars we spent committing to their development if they decide to leave.
Preach! It's a Runaway Train!

RICO CAT

Post by RICO CAT » Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:03 pm

nanacat wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:10 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
nanacat wrote:
This is why NIL is managed by an entity not associated with the university. They can’t even use the name or logo of the school with their image. Private funds are collected that are never held by the university. These funds are then distributed at the discretion of said entity at the direction of the stake holders (those making private donations) this is different than what the NCAA is proposing which is basically a trust fund by schools that opt in to be distributed to both male and female athletes in accordance with title IX. As for the indoor practice facility, it will be available for use by MSU athletics, not just football.

“OVER THEM MOUNTAINS”

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:41 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:41 pm
onceacat wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
NAIA, D2, D3, and JC kids face same issues with injury and time commitments. No huge money coming there way. I get that athletes deserve some. The problem with revenue sharing is that as an organization a college or university is using funds from revenue sports to fund non or low revenue sports. If you paid out profits from one the others will likely go away. That creates the issues with equal scholarships.

Now throw in NIL. Purpose wasn't to pay players to just show up and play. It was to pay them for using their identity to create income on jerseys, promo items, advertisements, etc. Doesn't seem like that part would be that hard for NCAA and their me.bers to put controls in place.
I dont think this is remotely true. TV football contracts pay for facilities & coaches, not for a swim or cross country team.

My kid runs D1 cross country but the school doesnt even have a football team. Hard to argue that somehow football pays for that.
That school is choosing to lose money on a program and subsidizing from either institutional support or that they believe sports benefits school overall. So a football player should get 4 million a year because football makes money, but your cross country student shouldn't?
You know how during football broadcasts, they say "This program is the property of the NFL & rebroadcast is prohibited blah blah blah"

Same with Name, Image, Likeness. If someone can pay the NCAA to put Ed O'bannons character on a video game, or pay USC to buy a Caleb Williams jersey...then that is copyright theft, pure and simple. SCOTUS ruled 9-0 on the case. Its not even close to controversial from a legal standpoint...students have an open and shut right to their Name, Image, and Likeness for commercial purposes.

Honestly, I dont really think that athletes are worth the amount they get paid, but I'm not writing the checks to them...I watch college football though, so I guess I'm the product, not the consumer.

The point about kids running cross country or playing track or rowing, or doing rodeo or playing rugby is that those sports do just fine without the supposed subsidy they get from football. Theres not much in the record to show that anything gets subsidized by the revenue sports other than facilities, administration, and coaching staff directly related to those sports.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:42 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:41 pm
onceacat wrote:
tetoncat wrote:

You know how during football broadcasts, they say "This program is the property of the NFL & rebroadcast is prohibited blah blah blah"

Same with Name, Image, Likeness. If someone can pay the NCAA to put Ed O'bannons character on a video game, or pay USC to buy a Caleb Williams jersey...then that is copyright theft, pure and simple. SCOTUS ruled 9-0 on the case. Its not even close to controversial from a legal standpoint...students have an open and shut right to their Name, Image, and Likeness for commercial purposes.

Honestly, I dont really think that athletes are worth the amount they get paid, but I'm not writing the checks to them...I watch college football though, so I guess I'm the product, not the consumer.

The point about kids running cross country or playing track or rowing, or doing rodeo or playing rugby is that those sports do just fine without the supposed subsidy they get from football. Theres not much in the record to show that anything gets subsidized by the revenue sports other than facilities, administration, and coaching staff directly related to those sports.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:16 pm

RICO CAT wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:03 pm
nanacat wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
nanacat wrote:
I can appreciate the fact that players commit time, effort, etc, to play/perform and make money for the5th 4 school they play for but that was their CHOICE, no one made them play a college sport. Those that do, and get a scholarship, also get alot more than tuition, clothing, books, and room and board. They also get weight/strength training & coaching, dietary/nutrition coaching, let alone the hours their position coaches spend making them better. On top of that, in order to stay eligible they must keep their grades up, so there is tutoring available to them at a different level than your standard college student. And now, NIL for the standout players.
This is why NIL is managed by an entity not associated with the university. They can’t even use the name or logo of the school with their image. Private funds are collected that are never held by the university. These funds are then distributed at the discretion of said entity at the direction of the stake holders (those making private donations) this is different than what the NCAA is proposing which is basically a trust fund by schools that opt in to be distributed to both male and female athletes in accordance with title IX. As for the indoor practice facility, it will be available for use by MSU athletics, not just football.
If the NIL cannot be associated with a/the university then how can a/ the university be involved with giving offers to athletes by coaches or are the coaches using a second party to make the offers?

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

RICO CAT

Post by RICO CAT » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:01 pm

RickRund wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:16 pm
RICO CAT wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:03 pm
nanacat wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
nanacat wrote:
I can appreciate the fact that players commit time, effort, etc, to play/perform and make money for the5th 4 school they play for but that was their CHOICE, no one made them play a college sport. Those that do, and get a scholarship, also get alot more than tuition, clothing, books, and room and board. They also get weight/strength training & coaching, dietary/nutrition coaching, let alone the hours their position coaches spend making them better. On top of that, in order to stay eligible they must keep their grades up, so there is tutoring available to them at a different level than your standard college student. And now, NIL for the standout players.
If the NIL cannot be associated with a/the university then how can a/ the university be involved with giving offers to athletes by coaches or are the coaches using a second party to make the offers?
Coaches know a guy that knows a guy holding a bag of money

“OVER THEM MOUNTAINS”

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:21 am

BobcatDel wrote:
nanacat wrote:
I've never seen a manifesto but I do believe you just wrote one.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:34 pm

onceacat wrote:
tetoncat wrote:

What? Of course we're using revenue from football to fund other sports.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

WetBreeches
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by WetBreeches » Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:57 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:34 pm
onceacat wrote:
tetoncat wrote:

I cannot say for every school...but I can unequivocally say for MSU and UM the football programs carry the athletic departments. Basketball is typically right on the line of running green or red. Back in Robin Selvig's heyday the Lady Griz consistently ran in the green.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:03 pm

WetBreeches wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:57 pm
WalkOn79 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
tetoncat wrote:

I cannot say for every school...but I can unequivocally say for MSU and UM the football programs carry the athletic departments. Basketball is typically right on the line of running green or red. Back in Robin Selvig's heyday the Lady Griz consistently ran in the green.

Are budgets waiting at a traffic light and they can go in green and stop when red?

Never heard those colors used for a balance sheet before

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:19 pm

WetBreeches wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:57 pm
WalkOn79 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
tetoncat wrote:

There are a handful of programs for which thats true. MSU & UM are probably among those. Its not unusual for P5 schools to lose money or break even on football.

BobCatFan

Post by BobCatFan » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:01 pm

And this ladies and gentlemen is why both Montana schools can never move up.

77matman
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 77matman » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:51 am

With all of the $s that are being donated and spent is anyone tracking and reporting???

If not, why not?? I would like to see these $s reported by school by sport. Much should be based on these dollars. For example, if you are the top NIL football team in FCS, should your coaches salary be adjusted downwards?? Did your football team do well because of the top athletes purchased or because it was coached well??