Insanity!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Norsky19
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Insanity!

Post by Norsky19 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:49 am

catgrad05 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:03 pm
WetBreeches wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:57 pm
WalkOn79 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:34 pm
onceacat wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:46 pm
tetoncat wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:36 pm
NAIA, D2, D3, and JC kids face same issues with injury and time commitments. No huge money coming there way. I get that athletes deserve some. The problem with revenue sharing is that as an organization a college or university is using funds from revenue sports to fund non or low revenue sports. If you paid out profits from one the others will likely go away. That creates the issues with equal scholarships.

Now throw in NIL. Purpose wasn't to pay players to just show up and play. It was to pay them for using their identity to create income on jerseys, promo items, advertisements, etc. Doesn't seem like that part would be that hard for NCAA and their me.bers to put controls in place.
I dont think this is remotely true. TV football contracts pay for facilities & coaches, not for a swim or cross country team.

My kid runs D1 cross country but the school doesnt even have a football team. Hard to argue that somehow football pays for that.
What? Of course we're using revenue from football to fund other sports.
I cannot say for every school...but I can unequivocally say for MSU and UM the football programs carry the athletic departments. Basketball is typically right on the line of running green or red. Back in Robin Selvig's heyday the Lady Griz consistently ran in the green.

Are budgets waiting at a traffic light and they can go in green and stop when red?

Never heard those colors used for a balance sheet before
I think he's making the analogy to the stock market ticker. Balance sheet would be Red/Black. Back in black.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:48 pm

77matman wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:51 am
With all of the $s that are being donated and spent is anyone tracking and reporting???

If not, why not?? I would like to see these $s reported by school by sport. Much should be based on these dollars. For example, if you are the top NIL football team in FCS, should your coaches salary be adjusted downwards?? Did your football team do well because of the top athletes purchased or because it was coached well??
It’s not ran through the school. School can’t be involved.

77matman
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 77matman » Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:46 pm

That doesn’t preclude reporting activity. Someone must know. I assume the nil received by players is taxable.

RICO CAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RICO CAT » Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:04 pm

77matman wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:46 pm
That doesn’t preclude reporting activity. Someone must know. I assume the nil received by players is taxable.
NIL and coaches salaries are not related. And because NIL is not tied to the university, it likely does not receive that information. Two different worlds. You can bet Uncle Sam will count NIL as earned income though and will be waiting with hand wide open come tax time.

“OVER THEM MOUNTAINS”

77matman
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 77matman » Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:09 pm

Yes. I’m sure also about nil being taxable.

Do you think the NCAA collects this info??

RICO CAT

Post by RICO CAT » Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:15 pm

77matman wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:09 pm

I doubt it because to my knowledge there is no NIL limit so nothing to monitor or enforce. I would also speculate that since it’s not being doled out by a public institution, it’s not public record.

“OVER THEM MOUNTAINS”

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:39 pm

RICO CAT wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:15 pm
77matman wrote:

I doubt it because to my knowledge there is no NIL limit so nothing to monitor or enforce. I would also speculate that since it’s not being doled out by a public institution, it’s not public record.
It's an interesting question. My guess is the NCAA would love to know, because they'd love to get a piece of that somehow. Or regulate it in the future. I would be willing to bet they have tried to get schools to report on it. Whether the member schools told them to pound sand or not, I don't know.

77matman
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 77matman » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:35 am

Sure most folks recognize the relationship between $ and winning. It would be nice to see just how much they correlate.

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

RICO CAT

Post by RICO CAT » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:34 pm

77matman wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:35 am
Sure most folks recognize the relationship between $ and winning. It would be nice to see just how much they correlate.

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Well, I think thats an easy one to answer. Just look at the rise of Oregon and Oklahoma State.

“OVER THEM MOUNTAINS”

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:44 pm

RICO CAT wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:34 pm
77matman wrote:

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Well, I think thats an easy one to answer. Just look at the rise of Oregon and Oklahoma State.
U Texas football program has always been one of, if not the, richest programs but their performance over the past decade has been marginally winning. With open pay for play, they got better players and are top 4 FBS now. Pretty easy to connect those dots.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:26 am

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:33 am

rivercat wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:44 pm
RICO CAT wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:34 pm
77matman wrote:

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
U Texas football program has always been one of, if not the, richest programs but their performance over the past decade has been marginally winning. With open pay for play, they got better players and are top 4 FBS now. Pretty easy to connect those dots.
Do you think all of this money just came up out of nowhere? Boosters just magically decided they had collectively millions they could spend? They’ve been paying for players for a long freaking time!

And Texas is good now because they finally have a good coach. They’ve always had the ability to recruit well, they just haven’t had good enough coaching before Sark.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:35 am

91catAlum wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:26 am
1) Good for Manning.

2) It doesn’t say how much Purdy is making from advertisements, endorsements, etc.

It’s also an exception of an example. Purdy is the cheapest starting QB in the league because of where he got drafted. Manning is going to be among the top NIL earners because of who he is.

vike_king

Post by vike_king » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:55 am

RICO CAT wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:15 pm
77matman wrote:

Colleges are audited yearly just like public schools.
Public schools now must make available to auditors, books of outside sources of assistance like booster groups and PTA's.
That being said, colleges may have to show where any extra help is coming from. If so, how this would be disclosed in an audit would be interesting. It would probably be a total dollar amount.

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

bvancleeve
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bvancleeve » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:05 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:48 pm
77matman wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:51 am
With all of the $s that are being donated and spent is anyone tracking and reporting???

If not, why not?? I would like to see these $s reported by school by sport. Much should be based on these dollars. For example, if you are the top NIL football team in FCS, should your coaches salary be adjusted downwards?? Did your football team do well because of the top athletes purchased or because it was coached well??
It’s not ran through the school. School can’t be involved.
At Bobcat Collective, although we are unaffiliated with MSU Athletics, we still provide MSU compliance reporting on all NIL deals. Compliance wants confirmation they are "performing work" for these NIL deals, and also confirms that these NIL deals are following the few rules MSU has in accordance to their guidelines (gambling, alcohol, tobacco, etc).

Brandon Vancleeve
President - Bobcat Collective
Email: brandon@bobcatcollective.com
Important Links: https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective

DMMDCats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DMMDCats » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:27 am

I guarantee the IRS is keeping track.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:45 am

91catAlum wrote:
Fwiw, I saw some more on this, and that’s just what one random company said Manning’s NIL valuation is. That’s not what he’s taken in.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:30 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:45 am
91catAlum wrote:
Fwiw, I saw some more on this, and that’s just what one random company said Manning’s NIL valuation is. That’s not what he’s taken in.
Oh I see. I was wondering how they would know the exact amount.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:49 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:30 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:45 am
91catAlum wrote:
Oh I see. I was wondering how they would know the exact amount.
so will NIL make some players not draft early?

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:26 pm

allcat wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:12 pm
In my mind, I keep saying why do I help fund any of this stuff anymore? I don't have the deep pockets or type of organization that will benefit from donating. That leads me to say that since I have zero say why not let Daddy Warbucks fund it all. If I'm interested I can watch the games I want for 11 bucks a month, during the season. Much of my interest in the game has been killed. I can't see anybody making $100,000 that plays for us, but it all just gives me a bad vibe.
So you only donate when the football team is good, but you won’t donate to keep it good? That’s what I read.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride