FBS move-up handwriting on the wall!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Re: FBS move-up handwriting on the wall!

Post by PapaG » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:43 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:20 pm
PapaG wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:35 pm
onceacat wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:55 pm
Berkeley_Griz wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:01 am
onceacat wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:52 pm
PapaG wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:16 pm
The peak scenario for a program like Liberty or any other G5 also-ran will be to get boat-raced in a road playoff game as a 12-seed. How fun. Oregon could put up 70 if they wanted.
How is that different than the current FCS playoffs? By my count, 7 out of the 22 games were blowouts (at least 3 scores).

I guess as Cat fans we are happy cause our team is winning instead of losing the blowouts?
How is that a serious question. The difference is - since this is a thread about MSU moving up, located on an MSU board, where presumably we're discussing how this relates to MSU - that currently, MSU has the potential to play for national titles. If they move up, during their best ever seasons they can aspire to getting shellacked by Bama/ Oregon/ etc. The obvious insinuation from PapaG's post was about "how fun" it would be if that were the most MSU could aspire to each season.
A chance to play for a national title that nobody cares about?

Whoop de do.
Players don’t care about winning a national championship? Fans? Why do you even follow an FCS program, let alone post frequently about it? I get the vibe you feel it’s beneath you which makes it odd you spend time on it.

I’ve had season tickets to an elite P5 program (Oregon) along with an elite FCS program (MSU). Having my teams at both levels compete for national titles has been and is now for me a lot more fun than whatever fans of Sam Houston or Florida International have to look forward to this Fall.
Players care about winning games.

It feels like you are totally misinterpreting what I'm saying. I 100% love the FCS system & the fact that it has a real playoff. I'd much rather have that system than anything FBS has (although a 12 team playoff feels about right).

But NAIA and D3 teams & fans care about their national championships too. Should MSU drop to D3 in order to win more championships? Of course not. And as FCS becomes increasingly watered down, the FCS playoffs are increasingly meaningless. Fans know it, thats why attendance is so meagre, and why TV ratings are meh.

MSU & UM should be playing sports against peer institutions like OSU, WSU, Utah State, Wyoming, Colorado State etc instead of Portland State, Dixie State, Stetson, Southeast Missouri, Western Illinios, etc.
The Montana State players will win a lot more games in FCS than the cellar level of FBS.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:41 am

PapaG wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:43 pm
onceacat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Berkeley_Griz wrote:
onceacat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
The peak scenario for a program like Liberty or any other G5 also-ran will be to get boat-raced in a road playoff game as a 12-seed. How fun. Oregon could put up 70 if they wanted.
How is that different than the current FCS playoffs? By my count, 7 out of the 22 games were blowouts (at least 3 scores).

I guess as Cat fans we are happy cause our team is winning instead of losing the blowouts?
How is that a serious question. The difference is - since this is a thread about MSU moving up, located on an MSU board, where presumably we're discussing how this relates to MSU - that currently, MSU has the potential to play for national titles. If they move up, during their best ever seasons they can aspire to getting shellacked by Bama/ Oregon/ etc. The obvious insinuation from PapaG's post was about "how fun" it would be if that were the most MSU could aspire to each season.

Whoop de do.
Players don’t care about winning a national championship? Fans? Why do you even follow an FCS program, let alone post frequently about it? I get the vibe you feel it’s beneath you which makes it odd you spend time on it.

I’ve had season tickets to an elite P5 program (Oregon) along with an elite FCS program (MSU). Having my teams at both levels compete for national titles has been and is now for me a lot more fun than whatever fans of Sam Houston or Florida International have to look forward to this Fall.

It feels like you are totally misinterpreting what I'm saying. I 100% love the FCS system & the fact that it has a real playoff. I'd much rather have that system than anything FBS has (although a 12 team playoff feels about right).

But NAIA and D3 teams & fans care about their national championships too. Should MSU drop to D3 in order to win more championships? Of course not. And as FCS becomes increasingly watered down, the FCS playoffs are increasingly meaningless. Fans know it, thats why attendance is so meagre, and why TV ratings are meh.

MSU & UM should be playing sports against peer institutions like OSU, WSU, Utah State, Wyoming, Colorado State etc instead of Portland State, Dixie State, Stetson, Southeast Missouri, Western Illinios, etc.
The Montana State players will win a lot more games in FCS than the cellar level of FBS.
They would win even more games if they moved to the Frontier Conference.

I guess I'm not sure what your point is...Montana State should strive to win lots of games against inferior competition?

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:23 am

onceacat wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:41 am
PapaG wrote:
onceacat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Berkeley_Griz wrote:
onceacat wrote:
PapaG wrote:

Whoop de do.

I guess I'm not sure what your point is...Montana State should strive to win lots of games against inferior competition?
It’s difficult for me to read what you’re saying in any other way except you’re degrading/insulting the Big Sky and national championships won by Montana State players and that somehow makes them less important … to whom, exactly, other than you? To some random person in New York who has on the Weedeater Bowl against Kent State on in the background and knows exactly nothing about either team nor cares about them?

There are plenty of P5 teams you can cheer for if all that matters are winning the FBS championship. You’re not making any sense, are you?

What a ride

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:23 pm

PapaG wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:23 am
onceacat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
onceacat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Berkeley_Griz wrote:
onceacat wrote:
PapaG wrote:

Whoop de do.

It’s difficult for me to read what you’re saying in any other way except you’re degrading/insulting the Big Sky and national championships won by Montana State players and that somehow makes them less important … to whom, exactly, other than you? To some random person in New York who has on the Weedeater Bowl against Kent State on in the background and knows exactly nothing about either team nor cares about them?

There are plenty of P5 teams you can cheer for if all that matters are winning the FBS championship. You’re not making any sense, are you?
Huh? Do you even read what you've written before you hit the "Submit" button?

You said that winning was the important thing, so Cats shouldn't move up. I just pointed out how much more winning the Cats would experience if they dropped to a lower division or if those pesky DSUs moved to FBS.

Now that FCS is so watered down, Cats won't have to worry about playing teams like Sam Houston, JMU, Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, etc...

Eventually once all the decent teams leave FCS, Cats will finally win a championship for sure. It'll all be worth it if the competitive landscape just gets a little weaker, amirite?

Anyway, your logic not mine. I'd rather have a mediocre team against legitimate competition instead of beating up on the little sisters of the poor. If you envision a future of the Cats running up the score against teams that would struggle against the Hawks, you do you, I guess.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:32 pm

At this point the FCS playoffs should just be renamed the Montana/Dakota Invitational Tournament. If we want to keep trying to win it that's fine, but the opportunity arises the decision to move up or stay affects a lot more than just the football program.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:03 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:23 pm
PapaG wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:23 am
onceacat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
onceacat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Berkeley_Griz wrote:
onceacat wrote:
PapaG wrote:

Whoop de do.

Huh? Do you even read what you've written before you hit the "Submit" button?

You said that winning was the important thing, so Cats shouldn't move up. I just pointed out how much more winning the Cats would experience if they dropped to a lower division or if those pesky DSUs moved to FBS.

Now that FCS is so watered down, Cats won't have to worry about playing teams like Sam Houston, JMU, Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, etc...

Eventually once all the decent teams leave FCS, Cats will finally win a championship for sure. It'll all be worth it if the competitive landscape just gets a little weaker, amirite?

Anyway, your logic not mine. I'd rather have a mediocre team against legitimate competition instead of beating up on the little sisters of the poor. If you envision a future of the Cats running up the score against teams that would struggle against the Hawks, you do you, I guess.
My stance is staying put in FCS. You’re saying the championships don’t matter becaose ofs FCS. I really do not understand what argument you’re trying to make other than MSU’s conference and national championships somehow mean less than fighting for a low-tier bowl game. You’re all over the map, which tells me the “move up” proponents have no vision and no plan on how to accomplish this move so instead it’s about downplaying FCS accomplishments.

Simple question - what would your 10-year expectations be for moving into the low-tier of FBS?

What a ride

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:28 pm

My logic is pretty consistent:

Football is a meaningless endeavor in the first place. Its all about entertainment.

Some of us find it more entertaining to compete with peer institutions & football programs, rather than the little sisters of the poor.

Its unfortunate that in the current world, that means a stupid bowl game instead of a legitimate playoff.

Regardless, it (appears) to make financial sense, assuming the Montana Legislature would approve similar funding to states like Idaho, Wyoming, and Nevada.

I would expect the Cats to compete for an MWC championship in 10 years, by which point, a conference championship would include a playoff bid in. a 12 team playoff bracket.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:21 pm

My thoughts center around how the NIL deals that are not only happening now, but will continue to have to grow in order to be and stay competitive make the decision to stay FCS or go FBS irrelevant. Sure it takes money to move up, but the pool of money to tap into also is there at the FBS level. And, it’s not like staying FCS is free money for us…as we all know with recent additions to the infrastructure, (scoreboards, IPF, BAC, Endzone) all needed JUST to stay competitive at the FCS.

I think the lines now have blurred, and I believe more than previously that MSU is not going to stay FCS for long. There will be regionalization and the Cats will be competitive with Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, the DSU’s, etc.! Will we ever play for a national championship? No, but will we at least be honest about how we field our teams with cash, and lobby for players with cash, and win with cash??? Yes. As it is now, that has already become the new reality and though change is never fun…it’s inevitable. It’s time to own it, consider what needs to be done to make it happen in say, 5 years, and begin to dictate the change rather than respond to it.

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:06 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:21 pm
My thoughts center around how the NIL deals that are not only happening now, but will continue to have to grow in order to be and stay competitive make the decision to stay FCS or go FBS irrelevant. Sure it takes money to move up, but the pool of money to tap into also is there at the FBS level. And, it’s not like staying FCS is free money for us…as we all know with recent additions to the infrastructure, (scoreboards, IPF, BAC, Endzone) all needed JUST to stay competitive at the FCS.

I think the lines now have blurred, and I believe more than previously that MSU is not going to stay FCS for long. There will be regionalization and the Cats will be competitive with Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, the DSU’s, etc.! Will we ever play for a national championship? No, but will we at least be honest about how we field our teams with cash, and lobby for players with cash, and win with cash??? Yes. As it is now, that has already become the new reality and though change is never fun…it’s inevitable. It’s time to own it, consider what needs to be done to make it happen in say, 5 years, and begin to dictate the change rather than respond to it.
I don't understand why its inevitable at all. We just have to remain competitive in NIL with our peers. Shouldn't be a problem with our fan base.

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:18 pm

If we can go 6-6 every year and qualify for a bowl game that’ll be great. I can’t wait. Let’s do it. 😬

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:44 pm

Mtcatfan wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:18 pm
If we can go 6-6 every year and qualify for a bowl game that’ll be great. I can’t wait. Let’s do it. 😬
Yep, and that NIL money will just pour in. All fans can get home equity loans on the high priced MT houses so we can donate for more facilities as well. It will be great.

Sports is not bigger than life

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:44 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:44 pm
Mtcatfan wrote:
Yep, and that NIL money will just pour in. All fans can get home equity loans on the high priced MT houses so we can donate for more facilities as well. It will be great.
Don’t worry, it’s all a lock. The cash dump will happen any day now and everything will be bliss. I can’t wait to buy my Potato Bowl champions hoodie.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:17 am

tetoncat wrote:
Mtcatfan wrote:
You are right...when the DSUs move up, beating up on the likes of Northern Colorado & Stetson will provide more than enough interest to sustain a solid team.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:57 am

They are in the same boat we are.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:22 am

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:44 pm
tetoncat wrote:
Mtcatfan wrote:
Don’t worry, it’s all a lock. The cash dump will happen any day now and everything will be bliss. I can’t wait to buy my Potato Bowl champions hoodie.
Where does all the NIL money come from? Assuming Bozeman cannot compete against Cheyenne, Fargo, Rapid City, Boise, Reno…etc. is to fail to remember that we once in fact did…and won those games back in the day. IF we’re all playing for the same donor monies the separation to FBS is revenues generated by media contracts. Staying FCS means the monies from media is smaller, the donors still have to pony up to keep players on the field that they want to see…and facilities will always need to be a priority for MSU no matter which side of the divide FBS/FCS we land on. I’ve stated it early that I’d wish the whole NIL thing was dead and gone but it’s not.

I’m saying that the inevitability of the move to FBS will most likely come down to the opportunity to share in the bigger revenue bowl and not just the reliance on NIL donations. I don’t like the equations here…but I’m now beginning to think they are inevitable.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:49 am

AFCAT wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
Mtcatfan wrote:
It’s been 30 years since we gave Ted Turner an honorary doctorate. He’ll be donating millions the second we go FBS!

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:54 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:22 am
AFCAT wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
Mtcatfan wrote:
Where does all the NIL money come from? Assuming Bozeman cannot compete against Cheyenne, Fargo, Rapid City, Boise, Reno…etc. is to fail to remember that we once in fact did…and won those games back in the day. IF we’re all playing for the same donor monies the separation to FBS is revenues generated by media contracts. Staying FCS means the monies from media is smaller, the donors still have to pony up to keep players on the field that they want to see…and facilities will always need to be a priority for MSU no matter which side of the divide FBS/FCS we land on. I’ve stated it early that I’d wish the whole NIL thing was dead and gone but it’s not.

I’m saying that the inevitability of the move to FBS will most likely come down to the opportunity to share in the bigger revenue bowl and not just the reliance on NIL donations. I don’t like the equations here…but I’m now beginning to think they are inevitable.
In what world do the MWC schools sharing TV money want to add two universities from small towns in one of the least-populated states in the nation? Best case scenario in a move-up is to be a member whatever conference Sam Houston joined.

Nobody promoting moving up to FCS can ever explain how it is feasible for MZU and UM. UM is struggling to attract students as it is.

What a ride

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:26 am

PapaG wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:49 am
AFCAT wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
Mtcatfan wrote:
It’s been 30 years since we gave Ted Turner an honorary doctorate. He’ll be donating millions the second we go FBS!
Yeah, he lost his name on the old Turner Field in Atlanta, so it’s only right that he donates a couple hundred million for the naming rights to Bobcat Stadium. That will happen any day now.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:22 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:26 am
PapaG wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
Mtcatfan wrote:
Yeah, he lost his name on the old Turner Field in Atlanta, so it’s only right that he donates a couple hundred million for the naming rights to Bobcat Stadium. That will happen any day now.
No, please no, Ted Turner. I don't care how much $$ he gives. I am personally waiting on "Alex Singleton Field" at "Troy Andersen Stadium"!!!

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:52 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:22 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:26 am
PapaG wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
tetoncat wrote:
Mtcatfan wrote:
No, please no, Ted Turner. I don't care how much $$ he gives. I am personally waiting on "Alex Singleton Field" at "Troy Andersen Stadium"!!!
Amen, brother. Don't want that guy associated with MSU

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl: