FBS move-up handwriting on the wall!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Re: FBS move-up handwriting on the wall!

Post by PapaG » Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:35 am

onceacat wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:53 am
PapaG wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:16 am
Camo_Cat wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:30 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:25 pm
So all you NIL experts, will the founders start to put clauses in agreements to claw back money if they skip Bowl games?
Good point. Was watching the DirecTV Holiday Bowl last night. Both teams - USC & Louisville - had a bunch of guys not playing because they entered the portal or had declared for the draft. Do boosters want their money going to athletes who won't even finish a full season with their team?
NIL was an unknown market that I feel is massively inflated currently because it’s such a new thing and some people have money to burn. NFL and NBA teams used to whiff on massive rookie contracts prior to CBA limitations and that was after a track record in college and plenty of tape on players. Now, hundreds of thousands of NIL money is going to HS players with zero track record and tape mainly playing against much lesser players.

It seems the market will deflate as players underperform and the same 10-15 teams keep winning and competing for a legitimate shot at a championship.
I think this is pretty true. I also think it will change substantially when they move to a 12 team playoff. Would Marivn Harrison sit out if there was a championship on the line? Maybe, but I don't think so.

The other thing that is sort of interesting to me is that many (most?) of the big NIL deals are all for legacy players...Marvin Harrison Jr, Shadeur Sanders, Bronny James, Arch Manning...

LOTS of the NIL money is chasing the family name, not on-field performance.
Caleb Williams sitting out of the Holiday Bowl after starring in national advertisements all season seems like piss-poor NIL ROI for those companies.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:27 pm

PapaG wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:35 am
onceacat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
So all you NIL experts, will the founders start to put clauses in agreements to claw back money if they skip Bowl games?
Good point. Was watching the DirecTV Holiday Bowl last night. Both teams - USC & Louisville - had a bunch of guys not playing because they entered the portal or had declared for the draft. Do boosters want their money going to athletes who won't even finish a full season with their team?
NIL was an unknown market that I feel is massively inflated currently because it’s such a new thing and some people have money to burn. NFL and NBA teams used to whiff on massive rookie contracts prior to CBA limitations and that was after a track record in college and plenty of tape on players. Now, hundreds of thousands of NIL money is going to HS players with zero track record and tape mainly playing against much lesser players.

It seems the market will deflate as players underperform and the same 10-15 teams keep winning and competing for a legitimate shot at a championship.
I think this is pretty true. I also think it will change substantially when they move to a 12 team playoff. Would Marivn Harrison sit out if there was a championship on the line? Maybe, but I don't think so.

The other thing that is sort of interesting to me is that many (most?) of the big NIL deals are all for legacy players...Marvin Harrison Jr, Shadeur Sanders, Bronny James, Arch Manning...

Caleb Williams sitting out of the Holiday Bowl after starring in national advertisements all season seems like piss-poor NIL ROI for those companies.
No doubt. Not a great result for USC boosters after overpaying for Lincoln Riley & all his baggage. If I was a whale funding NILs, you can 100% guarantee there would be a clawback provision in the contract for voluntarily sitting out any games.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:55 am

onceacat wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:27 pm
PapaG wrote:
onceacat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:
Montanabob wrote:

No doubt. Not a great result for USC boosters after overpaying for Lincoln Riley & all his baggage. If I was a whale funding NILs, you can 100% guarantee there would be a clawback provision in the contract for voluntarily sitting out any games.
How long before the networks re-work the TV deals or stop broadcasting some bowl games because the star players aren’t playing in them?

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:40 am

AFCAT wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:55 am
onceacat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
onceacat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:
Montanabob wrote:

How long before the networks re-work the TV deals or stop broadcasting some bowl games because the star players aren’t playing in them?
The Barstool Sports Bowl yesterday was the most unprofessional sporting event I’ve ever seen (I watched for maybe a quarter until my wife got sick of Dave Portnoy’s idiocy) and that’s how Craig Bohl’s career ends in a Clown Show. Players being called idiots by the announcers and talking over each other nonstop.

Add in the Georgia game where FSU obviously didn’t want to be there and it was stealing money from advertisers and fans. I think the 12-team playoff will finally whittle down the amount of bowl games and G5 programs will be fighting over even fewer crappy bowls. A G5 playoff seems to be something to think about soon because with NIL the top 15 programs are going to separate themselves even further from the lessers.

What a ride

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:22 am

PapaG wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:40 am
AFCAT wrote:
onceacat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
onceacat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:
Montanabob wrote:

The Barstool Sports Bowl yesterday was the most unprofessional sporting event I’ve ever seen (I watched for maybe a quarter until my wife got sick of Dave Portnoy’s idiocy) and that’s how Craig Bohl’s career ends in a Clown Show. Players being called idiots by the announcers and talking over each other nonstop.

Add in the Georgia game where FSU obviously didn’t want to be there and it was stealing money from advertisers and fans. I think the 12-team playoff will finally whittle down the amount of bowl games and G5 programs will be fighting over even fewer crappy bowls. A G5 playoff seems to be something to think about soon because with NIL the top 15 programs are going to separate themselves even further from the lessers.
Differing opinion:

https://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming ... -top-story

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:25 am

AFCAT wrote:
onceacat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
onceacat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:
Montanabob wrote:

Never. ESPN needs the filler for what otherwise would be a slow sports week while most of its audience is at home or on vacation but trying to avoid spending time with their families.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:32 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:22 am
PapaG wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
onceacat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
onceacat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:
Montanabob wrote:

Differing opinion:

Did you see who the Toledo kicker was in that game?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/p ... uke-pawlak

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:56 am

AFCAT wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:32 am
Cat Grad wrote:
PapaG wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
onceacat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
onceacat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:
Montanabob wrote:

Differing opinion:

Who is going to be the holder next year for MSU? They need another long snapper also, correct?

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:37 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
PapaG wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
onceacat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
onceacat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:
Montanabob wrote:

Differing opinion:

As for the Portnoy Bowl, he probably requires the announcers to be as abnoxious as he is.

Read the wrap-up and saw that the center caught a td pass that had been tipped/touched by a running back but was called back, illegal touching. If it is tipped/touched isn't it a legal catch by a lineman?

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:41 pm

RickRund wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:37 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
PapaG wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
onceacat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
onceacat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:
Montanabob wrote:

Differing opinion:

As for the Portnoy Bowl, he probably requires the announcers to be as abnoxious as he is.

Read the wrap-up and saw that the center caught a td pass that had been tipped/touched by a running back but was called back, illegal touching. If it is tipped/touched isn't it a legal catch by a lineman?
Yep. But wasn't it ineligible receiver down field?

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:11 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:41 pm
RickRund wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:37 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
PapaG wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
onceacat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
onceacat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:

Differing opinion:

Yep. But wasn't it ineligible receiver down field?
So if the center caught the pass, maybe another lineman was down field.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

nanacat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by nanacat » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:23 pm

Interesting how many FBS coaches are making statements publicly about the NIL/Portal now that the bowl season is almost over. Wonder if their opinions are being shared with the NCAA? One coach, can't remember his name now, spoke of how wrong it is that the portal opens before the season is over and what problems that is causing. I mean with college semesters ending and transfers needing to be completed before classes start in January, I get it, but to have players sitting out, or leaving the team before the final game is just bad. However, one comment I read said coaches need to be held to that timing issue too, and I agree. I know it's been discussed in other threads, but there should be a standard. Recruiting/hiring of players or coaches should be done after the season ends, imo. I'm sure that's not realistic and maybe not even possible, but college football is just a train wreck and something needs to be done about it. Not thinking anything will change though.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:55 pm

nanacat wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:23 pm
Interesting how many FBS coaches are making statements publicly about the NIL/Portal now that the bowl season is almost over. Wonder if their opinions are being shared with the NCAA? One coach, can't remember his name now, spoke of how wrong it is that the portal opens before the season is over and what problems that is causing. I mean with college semesters ending and transfers needing to be completed before classes start in January, I get it, but to have players sitting out, or leaving the team before the final game is just bad. However, one comment I read said coaches need to be held to that timing issue too, and I agree. I know it's been discussed in other threads, but there should be a standard. Recruiting/hiring of players or coaches should be done after the season ends, imo. I'm sure that's not realistic and maybe not even possible, but college football is just a train wreck and something needs to be done about it. Not thinking anything will change though.
that would leave 2 solutions: start playing in july or shorter season.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:23 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:56 am
AFCAT wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:32 am
Cat Grad wrote:
PapaG wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
onceacat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
onceacat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:

Differing opinion:

Who is going to be the holder next year for MSU? They need another long snapper also, correct?
I believe Luke Abshire did most of the holding this past season, so I would guess it would be him. Tommy Sullivan will be a Senior next season.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:40 pm

nanacat wrote:
Why would a transfer need to leave prior to spring semester? I get that coaches have a strong preference to have everyone there for Spring practice...but that hardly seems justification.

Move the portal to after Jan 1, then move ALL signings to Feb 1. You could hold coaches to the same standard: NCAA members are not allowed to interview coaches for vacancies until after Signing Day. (Does that hurt recruiting for schools that just fired a coach? Yep. Who cares.)

Honestly, the NCAA is so far beyond inept, its getting to be shocking.

nanacat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by nanacat » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:12 am

onceacat wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:40 pm
nanacat wrote:
Why would a transfer need to leave prior to spring semester? I get that coaches have a strong preference to have everyone there for Spring practice...but that hardly seems justification.

Move the portal to after Jan 1, then move ALL signings to Feb 1. You could hold coaches to the same standard: NCAA members are not allowed to interview coaches for vacancies until after Signing Day. (Does that hurt recruiting for schools that just fired a coach? Yep. Who cares.)

Curious to see if the NCAA takes any action after what happened this year. Opt outs for injury is far different than what happened with Florida State. Maybe it wasn't the portal as much as a protest. But the writing is on the wall.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:16 pm

The peak scenario for a program like Liberty or any other G5 also-ran will be to get boat-raced in a road playoff game as a 12-seed. How fun. Oregon could put up 70 if they wanted.

What a ride

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:32 pm

Is MacAfee wearing his MSU Rodeo belt buckle?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:48 pm

nanacat wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:12 am
onceacat wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:40 pm
nanacat wrote:

Curious to see if the NCAA takes any action after what happened this year. Opt outs for injury is far different than what happened with Florida State. Maybe it wasn't the portal as much as a protest. But the writing is on the wall.
If I was an AD, you can 100% guarantee that EVERY scholarship was contingent of suiting up when medically appropriate & that there would be clawback provisions for sitting out a bowl game. Might not mean much to a Caleb Williams or Marvin Harrison, but there are a lot of marginal NFL draft picks & potential UDFA not suiting up. I'd think twice about trying to pay back a Stanford or USC football scholarship with a practice squad salary.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:52 pm

PapaG wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:16 pm
The peak scenario for a program like Liberty or any other G5 also-ran will be to get boat-raced in a road playoff game as a 12-seed. How fun. Oregon could put up 70 if they wanted.
How is that different than the current FCS playoffs? By my count, 7 out of the 22 games were blowouts (at least 3 scores).

I guess as Cat fans we are happy cause our team is winning instead of losing the blowouts?