2024 Schedule

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

smithmel60
New Recruit

Re: 2024 Schedule

Post by smithmel60 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:05 am

Why isn't SDSU on our home schedule. I thought this would be a home and home agreement.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:08 am

AFCAT wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:11 pm
I know this doesn't have anything to do with 2024, but scheduling a home and home with South Dakota State in '23 and '25 probably wasn't the wisest move to be made by Leon. He has been amazing other than that. I think playing that emotional and physical of a game so early in the '23 season didn't really help the Cats. Having SDSU come to Bozeman in '25 during what will be a bit of a re-building year for the Cats also isn't helpful. Hind sight is 20/20 though. Before I get flamed, relax, it's just my opinion.
It's hard to believe that we can't schedule anyone from the MVFC besides SDSU. Maybe it's a little harder to justify a home and home but we should be able to make something work with mid-level teams. Leon definitely has all the connections to make an SDSU game happen whenever he wants but he should have nearly as many connections throughout that conference.

As far as the emotional nature of the game not helping the Cats, I think that's exactly why we played so well and almost won. The Utah Tech game in week 1 was essentially a glorified scrimmage against another team. The guys had been thinking about SDSU for 8.5 months leading up to the game. If we would have played them a couple weeks later, especially with our cupcake schedule, we likely would have lost a little of that fire and the game wouldn't have been as close. As has already been mentioned, our performance against them probably carried a lot of weight with the playoff committee.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:22 am

smithmel60 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:05 am
Why isn't SDSU on our home schedule. I thought this would be a home and home agreement.
They come to Bozeman in 2025.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:48 am

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:08 am
AFCAT wrote:
I know this doesn't have anything to do with 2024, but scheduling a home and home with South Dakota State in '23 and '25 probably wasn't the wisest move to be made by Leon. He has been amazing other than that. I think playing that emotional and physical of a game so early in the '23 season didn't really help the Cats. Having SDSU come to Bozeman in '25 during what will be a bit of a re-building year for the Cats also isn't helpful. Hind sight is 20/20 though. Before I get flamed, relax, it's just my opinion.
It's hard to believe that we can't schedule anyone from the MVFC besides SDSU. Maybe it's a little harder to justify a home and home but we should be able to make something work with mid-level teams. Leon definitely has all the connections to make an SDSU game happen whenever he wants but he should have nearly as many connections throughout that conference.

As far as the emotional nature of the game not helping the Cats, I think that's exactly why we played so well and almost won. The Utah Tech game in week 1 was essentially a glorified scrimmage against another team. The guys had been thinking about SDSU for 8.5 months leading up to the game. If we would have played them a couple weeks later, especially with our cupcake schedule, we likely would have lost a little of that fire and the game wouldn't have been as close. As has already been mentioned, our performance against them probably carried a lot of weight with the playoff committee.
The emotions helped during the game but it's tough to think about a single game for 8.5 months, get so hyped up for that single, big, physical game early in the season, lose that game, and then try to get excited for playing Stetson the next weekend and other teams after that. It has to take a toll and I don't believe it helped the team through the rest of the year. The Cats were already ranked in the top 4 to start the season. They would have maintained that ranking winning against any team that second week. They went on to lose one more close game and one blowout to playoff teams. I think they would have been ranked similar at the end of the season as a two loss team. Obviously, there is no way to know that now, so it's all irrelevant but fun to speculate on.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:49 am

coloradocat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
We had a home-and-home with Western Ill. about 5 years ago.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:58 am

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:49 am
coloradocat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
So we've played the best and the worst. I'd like to see some games against UNI or USD or even UND since they are old conference foes.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:29 am

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:58 am
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:49 am
coloradocat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
So we've played the best and the worst. I'd like to see some games against UNI or USD or even UND since they are old conference foes.
WIU was a decent team in 2018 when they came here for Gold Rush. Finished 5-6. Almost beat us until Troy Andersen decided to take over the game.
But I agree with you that UNI or South Dakota would be good ones to play.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:33 am

tetoncat wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:38 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:46 pm
catatac wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:35 pm
I thought I saw a thread on this earlier but can't find it. We were looking at this on the way to Bozeman, pretty crazy schedule. First game at New Mexico on August 24th, 12 game season, two byes.

Also, it looks like a pretty dang good schedule. Tougher teams are at home. Looking at who we return in 2024, we could possibly be 12-0 regular season.

Not that I'm looking ahead by any means, Cats aren't anywhere done this year. :D Just pointing out - the future is bright. 8)
Wow that's weird - 2 bye weeks. Nice spacing on the byes, though.

Aug 24 at New Mexico
Aug 31 at Utah Tech
Sep 7 vs Maine
Sep 14 vs Stephen F. Austin
Sep 21 -BYE-
Sep 28 at Idaho State
Oct 5 vs Northern Colorado
Oct 12 vs Idaho
Oct 19 at Portland State
Oct 26 -BYE-
Nov 2 at Eastern Washington
Nov 9 vs Sacramento State
Nov 16 at UC Davis
Nov 23 vs Montana
@ ISU, EWU, UC Davis and even PSU will not be easy road games. ISU is better and plays well at home. EWU always tough at home. PSU was young and played us pretty well. UC Davis is ? Good this year with RB not good without. We don't lose many starters on either side, fill with youngsters and a few key transfers.

I like no back to back road trips in conference. Can see them giving us a late espn game at UC Davis.
Those can be tough road games but it’s nothing like 2023.

Big concern right now for MSU is if they put an ESPN game on the schedule and it turns out to be poorly timed. At least no back-to-back road games so it won’t be like the SAC >>> Idaho deal. Probably play UC Davis on a Saturday night. 🤣

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:05 pm

FCS gets to play 12 games in 2024, and I thought it would be interesting to compare the schedules of the teams I think will be Big Sky Conference contenders next season:

Montana State: Four non-conference teams including 2 at home (Maine & Stephen F Austin) and 2 on the road (FBS New Mexico & Utah Tech). Tough games at home include Idaho, Sac State, & Montana (all three will be ranked). On the road against an improved EWU team and a Davis team that will probably be ranked. Six games total at home; another pretty tough schedule in 2024.

Idaho: Tough non-conference schedule against FBS Oregon and Wyoming, FCS playoff team Albany, & Abilene Christian. Only five home games in 2024, with EWU and Weber being their toughest. Have to travel to Davis and MSU. Fairly favorable conference schedule; non-conference will kill them.

Sac State: Only five home games. Three non-conference games on the road including FBS San Jose State and Fresno State. Probably 2-2 after non-conference. EWU, Weber, and Davis at home; MSU on the road. Another favorable conference schedule.

Weber: Only five home games. Non-conference includes three road games at FBS Washington. Ranked conference opponents include Montana, Sac State, and Idaho, all on the road.

UC Davis: Six games at home, with toughest non-conference opponents being FBS Cal and Southern Utah. Have to play Idaho and MSU at home, with a brutal end to the conference season - last three games include @ Montana, vs. MSU, and @ Sac State. Toss in EWU and a potential improved PSU.

Montana: Wow - seven home games - they managed to do it right. Missouri St. and UND will be their toughest non-conference opponents, with a non-conference schedule that does not include any FBS schools. On the road at EWU, and MSU, home against Weber and Davis. A relatively favorable schedule.

I would say chances are the MSU will have the toughest conference schedule again, followed by Davis and then Weber. It would appear that Idaho, Sac State, and then Montana will the leg up on everyone else in terms of ease of schedule. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:35 pm

jgrilley406 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:35 am
AFCAT wrote:
Playing SDSU closer than NDSU did, ultimately is probably what gave the cats a seed and not them. Even though game one or two of a season is not where you’ll be at the end of a season, it does benefit both teams especially if the game is close as it was this year.
This is what I was thinking. We were pretty much hanging our hat on having almost beat them all year and I don't think a cupcake win at home makes us look any better EoY.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:01 pm

"Montana: Wow - seven home games - they managed to do it right. Missouri St. and UND will be their toughest non-conference opponents, with a non-conference schedule that does not include any FBS schools. On the road at EWU, and MSU, home against Weber and Davis. A relatively favorable schedule."

Relatively favorable? Sure, for the 40th year in a row. These guys never play anyone and SEVEN home games makes me want to puke.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:23 am

84CatGrad wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:01 pm
"Montana: Wow - seven home games - they managed to do it right. Missouri St. and UND will be their toughest non-conference opponents, with a non-conference schedule that does not include any FBS schools. On the road at EWU, and MSU, home against Weber and Davis. A relatively favorable schedule."

Relatively favorable? Sure, for the 40th year in a row. These guys never play anyone and SEVEN home games makes me want to puke.
Will season ticket prices go up with the additional home game? If they raised prices this year due to the extra game, it might make sense to maintain the same rates when there are only 6 home games in 2025. If this is the strategy, I think it would be a well-executed move.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:27 am

84CatGrad wrote:

This is why I wanted Ferris to beat them so bad and they came pretty durn close. Just wanted their easy a$$ schedule to bite them in the a$$ for once.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:27 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:23 am
84CatGrad wrote:

Will season ticket prices go up with the additional home game? If they raised prices this year due to the extra game, it might make sense to maintain the same rates when there are only 6 home games in 2025. If this is the strategy, I think it would be a well-executed move.
No doubt! Talk about the money that football team makes... it's pretty incredible. Let's just look at ticket sales, not counting everything else. If they happen to end up a 1 or 2 seed again next year you're talking NINETEEN home games in two years. Maybe average 25k per game, times $50? That's almost $25,000,000. $50,000,000 if the tickets average $100, I have no idea.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:56 pm

catatac wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:27 pm
The Butcher wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:

No doubt! Talk about the money that football team makes... it's pretty incredible. Let's just look at ticket sales, not counting everything else. If they happen to end up a 1 or 2 seed again next year you're talking NINETEEN home games in two years. Maybe average 25k per game, times $50? That's almost $25,000,000. $50,000,000 if the tickets average $100, I have no idea.
Most of the playoff ticket sales revenue goes to the NCAA.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:02 pm

91catAlum wrote:
catatac wrote:
I thought I saw a thread on this earlier but can't find it. We were looking at this on the way to Bozeman, pretty crazy schedule. First game at New Mexico on August 24th, 12 game season, two byes.

Also, it looks like a pretty dang good schedule. Tougher teams are at home. Looking at who we return in 2024, we could possibly be 12-0 regular season.

Not that I'm looking ahead by any means, Cats aren't anywhere done this year. :D Just pointing out - the future is bright. 8)

Aug 24 at New Mexico
Aug 31 at Utah Tech
Sep 7 vs Maine
Sep 21 -BYE-
Sep 28 at Idaho State
Oct 12 vs Idaho
Oct 19 at Portland State
Oct 26 -BYE-
Nov 16 at UC Davis
Nov 23 vs Montana
Someone should probably get a pat on the back for this schedule. If I'm reading it right it looks like the New Mexico game being on August 24 allows MSU to have two OPEN (they're not byes...pet peeve) weeks. I assume since MSU is playing a FBS team this is allowed. ??? The only back-to-back BSC road games (PSU and EWU) have an open week between them. After getting the first two games behind them, the Bobcats only play on the road four games over the next 12 weeks, and they don't travel on back-to-back weeks.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:10 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:02 pm
91catAlum wrote:
catatac wrote:

Aug 24 at New Mexico
Aug 31 at Utah Tech
Sep 7 vs Maine
Sep 21 -BYE-
Sep 28 at Idaho State
Oct 12 vs Idaho
Oct 19 at Portland State
Oct 26 -BYE-
Nov 16 at UC Davis
Nov 23 vs Montana
Someone should probably get a pat on the back for this schedule. If I'm reading it right it looks like the New Mexico game being on August 24 allows MSU to have two OPEN (they're not byes...pet peeve) weeks. I assume since MSU is playing a FBS team this is allowed. ??? The only back-to-back BSC road games (PSU and EWU) have an open week between them. After getting the first two games behind them, the Bobcats only play on the road four games over the next 12 weeks, and they don't travel on back-to-back weeks.
August 24th is week 0 next year, that's why the extra open week. The majority of FCS teams will start August 29th - 31st.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:10 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
catatac wrote:

Aug 24 at New Mexico
Aug 31 at Utah Tech
Sep 7 vs Maine
Sep 21 -BYE-
Sep 28 at Idaho State
Oct 12 vs Idaho
Oct 19 at Portland State
Oct 26 -BYE-
Nov 16 at UC Davis
Nov 23 vs Montana
we also control the 5th bye week. 30 nov would be the 1st round playoff game.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:14 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:10 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
catatac wrote:

Aug 24 at New Mexico
Aug 31 at Utah Tech
Sep 7 vs Maine
Sep 21 -BYE-
Sep 28 at Idaho State
Oct 12 vs Idaho
Oct 19 at Portland State
Oct 26 -BYE-
Nov 16 at UC Davis
Nov 23 vs Montana
we also control the 5th bye week. 30 nov would be the 1st round playoff game.
4 games
BYE
4 games
BYE
4 games
BYE
4 games to the chipper. That would be kinda neat.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:19 pm

The Butcher wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:

Season tickets are paid per seat per game, it's not a flat rate. So an extra home game will cost more.
I have 3 seats at about $40 per seat X 6 home games. Then I pay again for each playoff game if I want all 3 seats.