O-Line Question

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

O-Line Question

Post by gtapp » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:35 pm

I looked at the Sacramento State Rooster and their D-Line was the smallest we have faced so far. How is it they made our much larger (and to this point very successful) O-line look so bad?

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: O-Line Question

Post by Mtcatfan » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:48 pm

Quickness?

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:51 pm

Their edge rusher Obina is one of the best in the league. He was very successful getting to the QB and getting pressure. I think he does that to everyone though.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:01 pm

gtapp wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:35 pm
I looked at the Sacramento State Rooster and their D-Line was the smallest we have faced so far. How is it they made our much larger (and to this point very successful) O-line look so bad?
Size really doesn't have anything to do with it. If size was the only factor, Derek Marks would be useless against any offensive line in the Big Sky. Sac State has a very talented defensive line just like we have a very talented O-line. The two guys I listed below are excellent football players who won a good percentage of their matchups against our guards and tackles. Overall, MSU's offensive scheme has allowed teams to crowd the box but our O-line/scheme could still push the pile and execute on past opponents. Sac State was a different story. They had the #1 run defense in the conference and MSU had the #1 rushing offense coming into last Saturday's game. The Hornets simply won the matchup.

Dariyn Choates - 6'3", 270 lbs. (HM All-Big Sky 2017; Hurt in 2018)
George Obinna - 6'3", 240 lbs. (1st Team All-Big Sky 2017; Preseason All-American in 2018 prior to a season ending injury)

They rotated well and played physical. Wasn't anything special.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:07 pm

gtapp wrote:
Looked to me like Quickness,Lower Pad level, Shooting gaps, we couldn't get a fit and often one or more of
our lineman we're chasing a block.

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:17 pm

Their dline played well no doubt but they were loading the box and bringing run blitzes every down when we went with the wildcat. They dared us to throw it over them and we didn't really try anything deep until late in the game. The sequence where we had four plays from the 3, we tried a formation(qb sneak under center) we hadn't really ever done and tried going wide instead of straight ahead with Troy as Choate mentioned in the his presser which allowed their quickness to have more of an impact. They might have been doing stunts and twists along with the run blitz because there seemed to be someone coming free up the middle almost every pass play later in the game.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

StatedImprovement
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by StatedImprovement » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:10 pm

When an offense is predictable to the point where anyones wife knows what the next play will be, by merely glancing at personel and formation...
11 defenders meeting at the point of impact where the offense will undoubtedly attempt to cross the line of scrimmage isn't that hard to figure out.... repetition creates predictability. The Bobcats are the most Predictable team in FCS

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:48 pm

StatedImprovement wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:10 pm
When an offense is predictable to the point where anyones wife knows what the next play will be, by merely glancing at personel and formation...
11 defenders meeting at the point of impact where the offense will undoubtedly attempt to cross the line of scrimmage isn't that hard to figure out.... repetition creates predictability. The Bobcats are the most Predictable team in FCS
?? 29 pass attempts for 262 yards. 41 rushing attempts for 141 yards.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:57 pm

StatedImprovement wrote:
I know just ask the Griz the last three years. How do you NOT beat this team?! Kinda sad really.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

StatedImprovement
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by StatedImprovement » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:43 pm

catatac wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:48 pm
StatedImprovement wrote:
The Sac State Coaches were at least smart enough to let the Cat's help run down the Clock by gaining a few yards once the outcome was completely decided late in the 3rd. It's called 'prevent' when your team is 3 scores up. Making the 'stats' & a game score appear closer than it looks, is always nice for the losers. But at least the cats scored 7 points in the last 2 minutes after a few other futile attempts at being predictable

sdsyvie
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by sdsyvie » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:29 pm

Running back protection was our biggest issue saturday, not the o line, though I could see how when rovig is running around or tackles are being made in the backfield our presumption is its the o line.

Being down our top 3 running backs right now is the most significant problem that is slowing down this team atm

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:46 am

gtapp wrote:
Toughness, superior defensive coaching, & better gameday strategy

FTG247365

Post by FTG247365 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:53 am

catatac wrote:
StatedImprovement wrote:
If someone could find it on a "game log", on the 29 pass attempts Rovig is in the game (obvious I know), but on the rush attempts either Rovig is split out at WR or not in the game. Just the D reading the offense personal package. #10 or # 15 @ QB, then it's a run play, play thight and fill the gaps. Plus playing an extremely good D.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:55 am

FTG247365 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:53 am
catatac wrote:
StatedImprovement wrote:
If someone could find it on a "game log", on the 29 pass attempts Rovig is in the game (obvious I know), but on the rush attempts either Rovig is split out at WR or not in the game. Just the D reading the offense personal package. #10 or # 15 @ QB, then it's a run play, play thight and fill the gaps. Plus playing an extremely good D.
As was mentioned we didn't really have the option to run with Rovig at qb because all of our RBs are hurt except for Perry.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

FTG247365

Post by FTG247365 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:11 pm

technoCat wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:55 am
FTG247365 wrote:
catatac wrote:
StatedImprovement wrote:
As was mentioned we didn't really have the option to run with Rovig at qb because all of our RBs are hurt except for Perry.
I would like to see Fitzgerald run the ball, he'll earn every yard and soften the d-line.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:45 am

technoCat wrote:
FTG247365 wrote:
catatac wrote:
StatedImprovement wrote:
Agree. I know we are a run heavy team but here is a list of our RBs (Or players that run the ball) that have missed significant time this year because of injury? Seems crazy.

Ifanse
Jones
Andersen
TuckerII
Sumner

Not sure about Hosey, Martin, Perry, etc.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:49 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:51 pm
Their edge rusher Obina is one of the best in the league. He was very successful getting to the QB and getting pressure. I think he does that to everyone though.
Up until this game, we had allowed 2 sacks/hurries all year. This game alone CSUS had 5 against us; 4 sacks and 1 hurry.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:54 pm

Cledus wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:49 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:51 pm
Up until this game, we had allowed 2 sacks/hurries all year. This game alone CSUS had 5 against us; 4 sacks and 1 hurry.
That is eye-opening. And frustrating. And hopefully a blip...

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:17 pm

catatac wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:45 am
technoCat wrote:
FTG247365 wrote:
catatac wrote:
StatedImprovement wrote:
Agree. I know we are a run heavy team but here is a list of our RBs (Or players that run the ball) that have missed significant time this year because of injury? Seems crazy.

Ifanse
Jones
Andersen
TuckerII
Sumner

Not sure about Hosey, Martin, Perry, etc.
Hosey is one of Choate's favorite RB's in protection. He said the Cats missed him in this game. I keep saying this, but I just think MSU's depleted RB corps was the biggest difference in this game. Obviously I do think we lost the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, but with healthy RB's, I think MSU overcomes that. Obviously there would have been more rushing yards, and Rovig would have been able to operate better. I feel like that's easily worth 3 TD's for the Bobcats.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:19 pm

You wonder if Ifanse and/or Jones just can't get healthy, at one point do you get Hosey in?

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast