Sac State..Let's Do It Again Sometime..

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Sac State..Let's Do It Again Sometime..

Post by Mr Lisle » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:37 pm

I watched the game on TV and looked at some of the replay. As bad as things went, we were never really out of this game until it got to late. Sac State put together an exceptional performance and were only off balance the first part of the first quarter. Then nearly everything went right, and the Bobcat miscues played right into it. "Little things 8-[ " like unable to score from the 1, or a Sac State generated interception, or a real bad decison by any measurement going for a first down. Even if we made it, it was still dumb! So all this and the Cats lose by 13. I want a rematch. I hope we see them again in the playoffs. I firmly believe we can beat these guys...should have beaten these guys. I do not fear Sac State!

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Sac State..Let's Do It Again Sometime..

Post by FTG247365 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:19 pm

Mr Lisle wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:37 pm
I watched the game on TV and looked at some of the replay. As bad as things went, we were never really out of this game until it got to late. Sac State put together an exceptional performance and were only off balance the first part of the first quarter. Then nearly everything went right, and the Bobcat miscues played right into it. "Little things 8-[ " like unable to score from the 1, or a Sac State generated interception, or a real bad decison by any measurement going for a first down. Even if we made it, it was still dumb! So all this and the Cats lose by 13. I want a rematch. I hope we see them again in the playoffs. I firmly believe we can beat these guys...should have beaten these guys. I do not fear Sac State!

The difference of a mistake free game, or making a play here or there. If we had scored on the goal line we are 28-34 in the 4th, with momentum. Going into the game with a chip on our shoulder vs "we can do this" makes the difference. We beat them next time, better game plan.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:23 am

You guys are brave for saying you’d like to take them on again and that it was closer than it seemed. Not sure if you listened to Tootell and Nuanez in their MT Football Hour on Monday. They were brutally honest on that podcast about how much Sac actually dominated.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:30 am

Grizaddict wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:23 am
You guys are brave for saying you’d like to take them on again and that it was closer than it seemed. Not sure if you listened to Tootell and Nuanez in their MT Football Hour on Monday. They were brutally honest on that podcast about how much Sac actually dominated.
They’re entertaining, but just two opinions in a sea of them. In case you haven’t noticed those two aren’t always right.

And just because you lose to someone badly, it doesn’t mean you will automatically lose to them again.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:51 am

Next time, let’s not go for it on 4th and 1 on our side of the field in the 1st quarter. This was the kick in the nuts that we just didn’t need. But yes, if we don’t make mistakes we had this one in the bag. I think Sac can beat UM, but only if they rattle Sneed early and often.

Punters are people too!!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:03 am

GoCats18 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:51 am
Next time, let’s not go for it on 4th and 1 on our side of the field in the 1st quarter. This was the kick in the nuts that we just didn’t need. But yes, if we don’t make mistakes we had this one in the bag. I think Sac can beat UM, but only if they rattle Sneed early and often.
Yeah they need to do a better job on Sneed. He’d threw for 236 yards and ran for 204. Dotson ran for 234 and three TDs. Thomson was just 10 for 19, but had 259 yards. He only ran for 14 yards though, but took 36 in losses on sacks.

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:04 am

Grizaddict wrote:
Well, you can read through the posts on BobcatNation if you want brutally honest. I remember a few years back. It was Stitt's first game at UM and the griz beat NDSU. Later that year they met again.....

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:05 pm

Mr Lisle wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:04 am
Grizaddict wrote:
Well, you can read through the posts on BobcatNation if you want brutally honest. I remember a few years back. It was Stitt's first game at UM and the griz beat NDSU. Later that year they met again.....
Exactly. That win proved to be a flukey one. Ndsu has no tape on Stitt or Griz and it played to Griz advantage. When they met later they completely dominated Griz. In this case, there’s plenty of tape which is exactly why Sac St dominated the Cats in every single level. It wasn’t even close. If you played them again it’s the same result.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:55 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:05 pm
Mr Lisle wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
Exactly. That win proved to be a flukey one. Ndsu has no tape on Stitt or Griz and it played to Griz advantage. When they met later they completely dominated Griz. In this case, there’s plenty of tape which is exactly why Sac St dominated the Cats in every single level. It wasn’t even close. If you played them again it’s the same result.
MSU was down its starting RB, who’s one of the best in the Big Sky. MSU’s top player was well below 100%. MSU shot itself in the foot. MSU’s RB2 was well below 100%. Put those three on the field at 100% and MSU wins. MSU has been a shell of itself offensively. MSU did not get dominated. That’s hyperbole.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:03 pm

iaafan wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:55 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
MSU was down its starting RB, who’s one of the best in the Big Sky. MSU’s top player was well below 100%. MSU shot itself in the foot. MSU’s RB2 was well below 100%. Put those three on the field at 100% and MSU wins. MSU has been a shell of itself offensively. MSU did not get dominated. That’s hyperbole.
If that’s not getting absolutely dominated, then there’s no such thing as absolute domination. Not that I had any football knowledge respect for you prior, but that statement just lost you all hope. Are you serious! There can be no bigger sugar coater on this site with that comment. Let’s visit this a second and you tell me where Sac St didn’t dominate the Cats:

- after their first possession (a punt) Sac St scored TDs on 5 straight possessions. It literally went punt, TD, TD, TD, TD, TD, interception, punt. Translation, unstoppable.
- 9 of 13 on 3rd down conversions. That’s 69% for those keeping track at home
- TOP 32.5 for Sac St, 27.5 for MSU
- Thompson goes 23-30 that’s 77%!! Also throws 3 TDs and rushes for 74 on 11 carries.
- their D holds Cats to 100 less yards rushing that their average!
- their D holds cats to 4-15 on 3rd down (27%)
- the Cats scored in garbage time to get to 21 pts, with 1:41 left on clock
- the game was so out of hand Sac St literally went into auto pilot in 4th Q as it was already over
- their D held Cats to 15 rushing yards on 14 carries in 2nd half

Any normal football fan can all it as it is, complete and utter domination. Anything else is absolute sugar coating ******. Your own coaching staff admitted they got completely exposed and best in all 3 phases by a much better team. Wow, you’re absolutely kidding yourself.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:29 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:03 pm
iaafan wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
If that’s not getting absolutely dominated, then there’s no such thing as absolute domination. Not that I had any football knowledge respect for you prior, but that statement just lost you all hope. Are you serious! There can be no bigger sugar coater on this site with that comment. Let’s visit this a second and you tell me where Sac St didn’t dominate the Cats:

- after their first possession (a punt) Sac St scored TDs on 5 straight possessions. It literally went punt, TD, TD, TD, TD, TD, interception, punt. Translation, unstoppable.
- Thompson goes 23-30 that’s 77%!! Also throws 3 TDs and rushes for 74 on 11 carries.
- the game was so out of hand Sac St literally went into auto pilot in 4th Q as it was already over

Any normal football fan can all it as it is, complete and utter domination. Anything else is absolute sugar coating ******. Your own coaching staff admitted they got completely exposed and best in all 3 phases by a much better team. Wow, you’re absolutely kidding yourself.
Down 21-14 at half is not getting dominated. MSU beat itself. They left at least nine if not 21 points on the field.
MSU outgained SAC 403-378.
Averaged more yards per play.
Only one less first down.
Ran the ball better.
Held the league leading rusher to 28 yards on 16 carries.
Real rushing for MSU was 37-181 4.9 per carry.
Two WRs over 100 yards.

Dominating is when you’re up like 20 points or more at halftime, not 7.

You’re obviously listening to Colter and Tootel too much. It’s a radio show. They throw out hyperbole like parade candy. It draws in listeners.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:44 pm

If that’s dominated, then what’s a 63-0 game where a team is up 21-0 after a quarter and 42-0 at half? With a 650-150 total yards edge and 40-20 TOP.

What’s the word for that?

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:48 pm

iaafan wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:44 pm
If that’s dominated, then what’s a 63-0 game where a team is up 21-0 after a quarter and 42-0 at half? With a 650-150 total yards edge and 40-20 TOP.

Ya, good question. If the terminology for our game is complete and utter total domination.... yikes! Your scenario above probably needs words that haven't even been invented yet. :lol: :lol:

Next time the Griz get outplayed in all three phases (Yes, that will happen at least once before Cat\Griz), I'll expect a full unbiased analysis from GA.
Last edited by catatac on Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:48 pm

In a way I think you guys are both right. The Cats certainly weren't dominated in the sense of the word. As iaafan pointed out we were statistically better than Sac in many areas. That doesn't happen if you're a team that got dominated.

That said, if you were watching the game, you saw how we looked in the redzone, you saw our run game get stuffed, and you watched how we got pretty dominated up front on both sides of the ball, and even as early as the 3rd quarter you could just feel that it was going to be a loss. So in those regards, the fact that you almost knew a loss was inevitable, it was demoralizing.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:40 pm

iaafan wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:29 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:

Down 21-14 at half is not getting dominated. MSU beat itself. They left at least nine if not 21 points on the field.
Ran the ball better.
Two WRs over 100 yards.

You’re obviously listening to Colter and Tootel too much. It’s a radio show. They throw out hyperbole like parade candy. It draws in listeners.
:lol: :lol: :lol: so darn laughable. I love how you bring up the total yards comparison. The only reason Sac didn’t have 150 more yards is because of the short fields they had. They literally went up and down the field at will. They were unstoppable. If they had longer fields they would have had 150 more yards or more. They also went into hibernation in the 4th Q where the cats gained 150 of their total yards. Using that stat is completely useless. I saw the game. Complete and utter domination by Sac. They literally scored a TD in 5 of their 8 possessions and only punted twice and then completely took foot off gas. What do you call that if you don’t call it domination? One of Choate’s worst losses since becoming coach.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:46 pm

catatac wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:48 pm
iaafan wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:44 pm

Ya, good question. If the terminology for our game is complete and utter total domination.... yikes! Your scenario above probably needs words that haven't even been invented yet. :lol: :lol:

Next time the Griz get outplayed in all three phases (Yes, that will happen at least once before Cat\Griz), I'll expect a full unbiased analysis from GA.
I’ll happily give you one and it won’t be full of butterflies and rainbows like iaasugarcoat. I already gave you a good analysis of the Cats in the “eye test” thread. There was no bias there.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:15 am

Grizaddict wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:40 pm
iaafan wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:

Ran the ball better.
Two WRs over 100 yards.

:lol: :lol: :lol: so darn laughable. I love how you bring up the total yards comparison. The only reason Sac didn’t have 150 more yards is because of the short fields they had. They literally went up and down the field at will. They were unstoppable. If they had longer fields they would have had 150 more yards or more. They also went into hibernation in the 4th Q where the cats gained 150 of their total yards. Using that stat is completely useless. I saw the game. Complete and utter domination by Sac. They literally scored a TD in 5 of their 8 possessions and only punted twice and then completely took foot off gas. What do you call that if you don’t call it domination? One of Choate’s worst losses since becoming coach.
Thanks for making this so easy. Like when you said the other MSU players that had twice as many snaps as Rovig at some point of the SAC game, this is yet another example of your poor analysis of football. Once again you’re trying to say something that didn’t happen, happened.

You just said, “They (SAC) went up and down the field at will.” First, even if they were (they weren’t) doing that doesn’t mean a team dominated a game. Ya know, because the other team could be moving the ball well and making ST plays to stay in the game. Second, SAC wasn’t going “...up and down the field at will.” They went 3 and out twice, two and out once (that’s right they were “dominating” so much they opted to punt on third down. And they were intercepted once. So they scored on five of nine drives (note I’m not counting their final drive in victory formation). Third, you said yourself that they didn’t drive the whole (“...up and down the...”) field since two of their drives were 38 and 45 yards.

Somehow MSU, the team being “dominated”, had scoring drives of 86, 77, and 64 yards, not to mention drives of 78 and 53 yards that yielded no points. MSU had just two 3 and out drives. MSU punted just three times, same as SAC.

SAC did not take its foot off the gas until 5:33 of the fourth. They were trying to score on their first possession of the quarter, but were intercepted in the EZ. Next drive they couldn’t get out of the shadow of their own goalposts and punted on third down. MSU gained 64 of its yards with SAC in prevent mode.

Yes, SAC probably could’ve had more total yards, but even if you remove the final 64 yards that leaves a 378-359 edge for SAC. Still isn’t a sign of domination.

Face it. You’re not a knowledgeable football fan. You listen to blowhard, hyperbolic commentators and then ape them.

Again, I thank you so much for making this so easy ( and fun) for me. I hope you come back with another easily refutable post.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:38 am

Grizaddict wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:

Ran the ball better.
Two WRs over 100 yards.

So what kind of words do you use to describe the 79 to 7 Penn State - Idaho game? Pretty much same type of game as what we just had? Asking for a friend.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:53 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:15 am
Grizaddict wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:

Ran the ball better.
Two WRs over 100 yards.

Thanks for making this so easy. Like when you said the other MSU players that had twice as many snaps as Rovig at some point of the SAC game, this is yet another example of your poor analysis of football. Once again you’re trying to say something that didn’t happen, happened.

You just said, “They (SAC) went up and down the field at will.” First, even if they were (they weren’t) doing that doesn’t mean a team dominated a game. Ya know, because the other team could be moving the ball well and making ST plays to stay in the game. Second, SAC wasn’t going “...up and down the field at will.” They went 3 and out twice, two and out once (that’s right they were “dominating” so much they opted to punt on third down. And they were intercepted once. So they scored on five of nine drives (note I’m not counting their final drive in victory formation). Third, you said yourself that they didn’t drive the whole (“...up and down the...”) field since two of their drives were 38 and 45 yards.

Somehow MSU, the team being “dominated”, had scoring drives of 86, 77, and 64 yards, not to mention drives of 78 and 53 yards that yielded no points. MSU had just two 3 and out drives. MSU punted just three times, same as SAC.

SAC did not take its foot off the gas until 5:33 of the fourth. They were trying to score on their first possession of the quarter, but were intercepted in the EZ. Next drive they couldn’t get out of the shadow of their own goalposts and punted on third down. MSU gained 64 of its yards with SAC in prevent mode.

Yes, SAC probably could’ve had more total yards, but even if you remove the final 64 yards that leaves a 378-359 edge for SAC. Still isn’t a sign of domination.

Face it. You’re not a knowledgeable football fan. You listen to blowhard, hyperbolic commentators and then ape them.

Again, I thank you so much for making this so easy ( and fun) for me. I hope you come back with another easily refutable post.
I’ll take all the sugar he’s having! And it’s a ****** ton!

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:00 am

Sac St beat us soundly BUT they played almost a perfect game to do it while we made a multitude of mistakes. If we played again could they repeat that performance? They will need to to beat the Griz next week so lets see how consistent they are.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN