Watched the game again- rovig looked decent

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Watched the game again- rovig looked decent

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:43 am

I watched the game last night again... couple things:

1. That first quarter we actually looked pretty damn good! It was just 2 unfortunate plays that derailed the momentum and ultimately the game- the int (which could happen to any qb, his arm was hit), and the terrible 4th down play call, which handed them their first score.

2. Rovig did not play bad. He actually played pretty damn well for most of the game. ESPECIALLY considering it’s impossible for a qb to get in any kind of rhythm when 60% of the plays they are moved to wr. There were definitely some bad and/or missed throws here and there, but plenty of great throws as well. Also, he had zero time to throw against that pass rush, which would be a challenge on any qb.

To summarize- this staff needs to just let rovig play a full game and see what happens. It would actually HELP the running game be more impactful if the defense had to account for a normal passing game as well. The wildcat play with jonsen and/or TA is a great weapon, but if ya use it every frickin play it kinda looses that “surprise” element. Ha.

Anyway, it’s crazy how really just a handful of plays completely changed the game. Take out that int and 4th down call... wouldn’t be surprised if the cats end up winning a close game in the end against a damn good team.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Watched the game again- rovig looked decent

Post by Catsrgrood » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:19 am

I agree. I thought that while watching the game quite honestly and it’s why I avoided this place for a couple days because I knew there would be the doom and gloom.

Rovig played a solid game. Amazing? No, but overall pretty good. The INT was bad and he should have taken the sack, no question there. He threw a couple in the dirt. But he looked pretty solid as a whole in my opinion. Like it was stated above, he didn’t have much of a chance to get into rhythm with so much wildcat action and when he was in, that pass rush was on him immediately, nothing he can do about that.

If he doesn’t throw that INT and the Cats get a FG there, that could have changed decisions as the game went on too. Maybe we don’t go for it in 4th at midfield if we had some points on the board.
And fast forward to early in the 4th qtr, if we have 17 instead of 14, maybe we kick a FG instead of go for it on 4th. That gets us to 20. Then on the next possession we go for it on 4th again in the red zone, maybe if we had 20 we kick another FG, gets us to 23. At that point it would have been 34-23 with about 6-7 min to go in the game. Totally different ball game at that point.

Oh well, that’s the way the game goes, a lot of coulda, woulda, shoulda, but the snowball effect of that first possession, driving down the field and then throwing an INT when we were in FG range can’t be overstated.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:49 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:43 am

1. That first quarter we actually looked pretty damn good! It was just 2 unfortunate plays that derailed the momentum and ultimately the game- the int (which could happen to any qb, his arm was hit), and the terrible 4th down play call, which handed them their first score.

2. Rovig did not play bad. He actually played pretty damn well for most of the game. ESPECIALLY considering it’s impossible for a qb to get in any kind of rhythm when 60% of the plays they are moved to wr. There were definitely some bad and/or missed throws here and there, but plenty of great throws as well. Also, he had zero time to throw against that pass rush, which would be a challenge on any qb.

To summarize- this staff needs to just let rovig play a full game and see what happens. It would actually HELP the running game be more impactful if the defense had to account for a normal passing game as well. The wildcat play with jonsen and/or TA is a great weapon, but if ya use it every frickin play it kinda looses that “surprise” element. Ha.

Anyway, it’s crazy how really just a handful of plays completely changed the game. Take out that int and 4th down call... wouldn’t be surprised if the cats end up winning a close game in the end against a damn good team.
I am with you, time to take the training wheels off. Let him manage a full game. If we want to sprinkle a little Wild Cat in at the Red Zone or specific situations fine, but time for Tucker to take over. I wasn't high on him in the beginning and still question his leadership skills, but I feel he is trying and it has to be hard to pop in and out of the different offensive styles. The lines on both sides of the ball ran into lines of similar talent and the Cats didn't answer the challenge, Rovig couldn't control that.

We are fine with Tucker, I hope he continues to stay focused and driven. For what it is worth, it makes me chuckle to read how easy it is to play QB, according to people on a keyboard. I've never done it besides coaching my son's flag football team or at practice when I was coaching, and it wasn't a pretty a thing then! I do know as a coach, I found it valuable to listen to my QB's perspective before I passed judgement. It seems that would be good advice in Tucker's situation also. Listen to him, guide him, and now, turn him lose.

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:22 am

I am in this camp. Rovig played a perfectly acceptable game. He moved us well and put us in position to score.
Our stale play calling frustrated the team's efforts. We are too predictable and don't adjust when our favorite play is well defended by our opponents. Troy and Travis are huge for this team but the team is so much more. Let's use all our options.

Whenever we split Rovig out, we might as well have put him on the bench as Sac State paid no attention to him and his defender frequently blitzed resulting in an 11 on 10 advantage for them. Maybe we should have had one of our linemen throw him a pass at least once.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:40 am

I feel that we are most effective when we get a tempo going and we didn't do that against SSU. We would leave Rovig in at WR but then we would sub every play so the defense got to as well and it slowed everything down. Let Jonsen have 3-4 plays in a row when he plays QB and give him some options. Give him the fly sweep and maybe a shovel pass to a H back dive as well as keeping it. Let him throw over the top to Rovig because they are not covering him. BUT when Rovig is hitting passes, don't take him out on first down. Let him string them together.

I say this all a bit tongue in cheek because I know MM knows way more than me about personnel and what our guys like to run but I think he just gets too "cute" at times and needs a bit of work on how to keep momentum. SSU was a prime example of that and should be good tape to look at. They consistently called the right play at the right time to keep their drives alive and get out of bad spots.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:58 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:43 am

=D^

ragucat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by ragucat » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:43 pm

Nice to finally hear positive commentary and admintance that maybe the coaches know something on occasion. Sometimes we lose and learn and this is not a bad time to do that if we have to lose as long as can go forward from hear.

bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan123 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:30 pm

I agree with pretty much everything that has been said. I think Rovig is playing decent and getting better. I remember watching Jordan Johnson play for UM his sophomore year. I was not impressed by his passing during his first half season of football. Against EWU he was 11/19 for 34 yards and 1int; against SAC was 9/19 for 148 passing yards and 3 int!, and was 10/18 for 128 yards against Portland State. Johnson's passing/decision making were much more suspect than Rovig's during his sophomore season, but he was put into a position in which he was able to develop as the year progressed (hate to bring up how 2011 ended up).

Rovig has an accurate arm, we just need to put him in a position to develop better decision making and leadership skills.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:55 pm

bobcatfan123 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:30 pm
I agree with pretty much everything that has been said. I think Rovig is playing decent and getting better. I remember watching Jordan Johnson play for UM his sophomore year. I was not impressed by his passing during his first half season of football. Against EWU he was 11/19 for 34 yards and 1int; against SAC was 9/19 for 148 passing yards and 3 int!, and was 10/18 for 128 yards against Portland State. Johnson's passing/decision making were much more suspect than Rovig's during his sophomore season, but he was put into a position in which he was able to develop as the year progressed (hate to bring up how 2011 ended up).

Rovig has an accurate arm, we just need to put him in a position to develop better decision making and leadership skills.
And, that only comes by doing!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:47 am

bobcatfan123 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:30 pm

Yep, 2011 Jordan Johnson is a great example of how a player can get better as the year goes on. I remember most of the griz fan base wanting JJ benched for Gerald Kemp that season. But despite what egriz wanted, pflugrad stuck with JJ and by about November, things started clicking for JJ and the griz got on a roll, and they made a deep playoff run to the semi's. It can happen, players do improve over time.

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:44 am

Yikes. That is about all I can say to this thread. I believe this board has forgotten what good QB play looks like.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:17 am

FTG_1984 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:44 am
Yikes. That is about all I can say to this thread. I believe this board has forgotten what good QB play looks like.
Decent, not good. Pay your bet. That’d be decent too.

BadlandsGrizFanAgain
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BadlandsGrizFanAgain » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:42 am

iaafan wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:17 am
FTG_1984 wrote:
Dont quit now...theyre comparing Rovig to Jordan Johnson....lol

bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan123 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:21 am

BadlandsGrizFanAgain wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:42 am
iaafan wrote:
FTG_1984 wrote:
I'm saying that Jordan Johnson had some very rough games initially and progressed as the season went on. Not similar at all in style (Johnson was a really good dual threat qb, Rovig. . . Not so much) aND I don't see Rovig having as high of a ceiling as johnson. But it is interesting to look where Johnson was at this point his sophomore season. Like 91 mentioned, egriz wanted nothing to do with jj at this point in his career. Your staff did a great job of recognizing potential and allowing him to develop. I think we are seeing Rovig develop as the season goes on and I'm optimistic that he will be a good qb when all is said and done.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:50 am

iaafan wrote:
FTG_1984 wrote:
Oh good another Griz fan who can't read. I wonder if some of you should go The Derek Zoolander Center for Kids Who Can't Read Good.

BadlandsGrizFanAgain
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BadlandsGrizFanAgain » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:07 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:50 am
iaafan wrote:
FTG_1984 wrote:
Oh good another Griz fan who can't read. I wonder if some of you should go The Derek Zoolander Center for Kids Who Can't Read Good.
I think its part of the next academic additions.

BadlandsGrizFanAgain
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BadlandsGrizFanAgain » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:09 am

bobcatfan123 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:21 am
iaafan wrote:
FTG_1984 wrote:
I'm saying that Jordan Johnson had some very rough games initially and progressed as the season went on. Not similar at all in style (Johnson was a really good dual threat qb, Rovig. . . Not so much) aND I don't see Rovig having as high of a ceiling as johnson. But it is interesting to look where Johnson was at this point his sophomore season. Like 91 mentioned, egriz wanted nothing to do with jj at this point in his career. Your staff did a great job of recognizing potential and allowing him to develop. I think we are seeing Rovig develop as the season goes on and I'm optimistic that he will be a good qb when all is said and done.
Idk...I dont remember people not wanting JJ.....I always remember the overall consensus of people being really high on him and his obvious talent.

Maybe the difference being that when he could throw...he could at least rely on his running to keep the offense going.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:14 am

dude, he was just using JJ as an example of a young QB that showed improvement throughout the course of a single season.

Rovig and JJ are two completely different types of QB's. And at this point, Rovig is nowhere near as good as JJ turned out to be.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:25 am

FTG_1984 wrote:
Yikes is about all I can say to someone who reneges on a bet to pay a charity of choice.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:42 am

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:25 am
FTG_1984 wrote:
Yikes is about all I can say to someone who reneges on a bet to pay a charity of choice.
He's a blowhard and has no intention of backing up his word or his character. Sad, but there are some of those in every fan base!