Watched the game again- rovig looked decent

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Watched the game again- rovig looked decent

Post by iaafan » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:47 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:42 am
CelticCat wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:25 am
FTG_1984 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:44 am
Yikes. That is about all I can say to this thread. I believe this board has forgotten what good QB play looks like.
Yikes is about all I can say to someone who reneges on a bet to pay a charity of choice.
He's a blowhard and has no intention of backing up his word or his character. Sad, but there are some of those in every fan base!
Got a feeling FTG1984 is a Griz fan. For The Griz?

bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan123 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:30 pm

BadlandsGrizFanAgain wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:09 am
bobcatfan123 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:21 am
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:42 am
iaafan wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:17 am
FTG_1984 wrote:
Yikes. That is about all I can say to this thread. I believe this board has forgotten what good QB play looks like.
Decent, not good. Pay your bet. That’d be decent too.
Dont quit now...theyre comparing Rovig to Jordan Johnson....lol
I'm saying that Jordan Johnson had some very rough games initially and progressed as the season went on. Not similar at all in style (Johnson was a really good dual threat qb, Rovig. . . Not so much) aND I don't see Rovig having as high of a ceiling as johnson. But it is interesting to look where Johnson was at this point his sophomore season. Like 91 mentioned, egriz wanted nothing to do with jj at this point in his career. Your staff did a great job of recognizing potential and allowing him to develop. I think we are seeing Rovig develop as the season goes on and I'm optimistic that he will be a good qb when all is said and done.
Idk...I dont remember people not wanting JJ.....I always remember the overall consensus of people being really high on him and his obvious talent.

Maybe the difference being that when he could throw...he could at least rely on his running to keep the offense going.
https://egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.p ... on#p679357

I think maybe this will refresh your memory. This was one of many threads going on egriz at the time. Pretty much the same sort of conversation we have been having on BN these past few months!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:57 pm

bobcatfan123 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:30 pm
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:09 am
bobcatfan123 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:21 am
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:42 am
iaafan wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:17 am
FTG_1984 wrote:
Decent, not good. Pay your bet. That’d be decent too.
Dont quit now...theyre comparing Rovig to Jordan Johnson....lol
I'm saying that Jordan Johnson had some very rough games initially and progressed as the season went on. Not similar at all in style (Johnson was a really good dual threat qb, Rovig. . . Not so much) aND I don't see Rovig having as high of a ceiling as johnson. But it is interesting to look where Johnson was at this point his sophomore season. Like 91 mentioned, egriz wanted nothing to do with jj at this point in his career. Your staff did a great job of recognizing potential and allowing him to develop. I think we are seeing Rovig develop as the season goes on and I'm optimistic that he will be a good qb when all is said and done.
Idk...I dont remember people not wanting JJ.....I always remember the overall consensus of people being really high on him and his obvious talent.

Maybe the difference being that when he could throw...he could at least rely on his running to keep the offense going.
https://egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.p ... on#p679357

I think maybe this will refresh your memory. This was one of many threads going on egriz at the time. Pretty much the same sort of conversation we have been having on BN these past few months!
Bobcatfan123 now serving hot bowls of shut the F—k up.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:02 pm

I have more respect for Rovig as every day passes.

This was the most talked about position battle in the entire state. From last season, through the spring, into fall, it's all everyone wanted to talk about. Look at this very board in Mid-October. It's so fascinating that even Griz fans can't stop talking about it.

The fall camp was crazy. I was able to watch a few practices and thought both dudes brought stuff to the table. What I really noticed was how Bauman took control of the huddle. He seemed to so that better than Rovig. In the end, Bauman, a redshirt freshman, just wasn't ready. I know this is sports and people don't like patience in sports but wow. We're acting like Bauman must be awful because he didn't set the place on fire after a couple starts. Give. Me. A. Break.

So Rovig gets another shot. While I concede he makes mistakes every game, so does every qb I've ever seen. That is such a lousy argument. We said all season we need a guy to manage the game and if our run game does their part we should score points. This has been the case all season and we're doing it without our starting running back!

I think because of the hype surrounding this position, Rovig gets unfairly scrutinized every game. Don't get me wrong, players are going to be scrutinized, and no position more than the qb. That's not what I mean. But every pair of eyes every game seem to be watching nothing but this quarterback. I'm convinced if this dude tied his shoes funny out there people would call him out on it. I believe had he been our starter through last season and there was no battle this season, even if he had the EXACT same numbers as he does now, he wouldn't be called out near as much.

He's a redshirt sophomore that's started what, 6-7 games in his career? If you're truly trying to be honest I think you'd have a hard time saying that he hasn't improved as he went along. I think the Sac game was evidence of that. He played well enough to win. If our coaches are as good as I think. If our offensive and defensive line are as good as they should be. If our defense as a whole is even close to as good as we thought they'd be. If we have the runners that I think we do....that performance from Rovig should win almost every time.

Unlike some I've read on this board, I'm one of those guys that think freshman and sophomores can get better with reps and practice. Why people are so convinced this kid can't be good for us is so confusing to me sometimes.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:16 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:02 pm

This was the most talked about position battle in the entire state. From last season, through the spring, into fall, it's all everyone wanted to talk about. Look at this very board in Mid-October. It's so fascinating that even Griz fans can't stop talking about it.

The fall camp was crazy. I was able to watch a few practices and thought both dudes brought stuff to the table. What I really noticed was how Bauman took control of the huddle. He seemed to so that better than Rovig. In the end, Bauman, a redshirt freshman, just wasn't ready. I know this is sports and people don't like patience in sports but wow. We're acting like Bauman must be awful because he didn't set the place on fire after a couple starts. Give. Me. A. Break.

So Rovig gets another shot. While I concede he makes mistakes every game, so does every qb I've ever seen. That is such a lousy argument. We said all season we need a guy to manage the game and if our run game does their part we should score points. This has been the case all season and we're doing it without our starting running back!

I think because of the hype surrounding this position, Rovig gets unfairly scrutinized every game. Don't get me wrong, players are going to be scrutinized, and no position more than the qb. That's not what I mean. But every pair of eyes every game seem to be watching nothing but this quarterback. I'm convinced if this dude tied his shoes funny out there people would call him out on it. I believe had he been our starter through last season and there was no battle this season, even if he had the EXACT same numbers as he does now, he wouldn't be called out near as much.

He's a redshirt sophomore that's started what, 6-7 games in his career? If you're truly trying to be honest I think you'd have a hard time saying that he hasn't improved as he went along. I think the Sac game was evidence of that. He played well enough to win. If our coaches are as good as I think. If our offensive and defensive line are as good as they should be. If our defense as a whole is even close to as good as we thought they'd be. If we have the runners that I think we do....that performance from Rovig should win almost every time.

Unlike some I've read on this board, I'm one of those guys that think freshman and sophomores can get better with reps and practice. Why people are so convinced this kid can't be good for us is so confusing to me sometimes.
Nice post.
Rovig has improved with each game.
NAU 11-23-1, 106, 1 TD 92.2
Poly 12-24-1, 163, 1 TD 112.5 (122.7 w/o last second passes)
SAC 16-29-1, 262, 1 TD 135.5 (#2 pass D efficiency in BSC)

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:40 pm

iaafan wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:16 pm
ilovethecats wrote:

Nice post.
Rovig has improved with each game.
NAU 11-23-1, 106, 1 TD 92.2
Poly 12-24-1, 163, 1 TD 112.5 (122.7 w/o last second passes)
SAC 16-29-1, 262, 1 TD 135.5 (#2 pass D efficiency in BSC)
And just so people won't bring it up again, Sac did not start playing prevent until the last drive. They kept playing man and we finally started beating them over the top.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:51 pm

technoCat wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:40 pm

And just so people won't bring it up again, Sac did not start playing prevent until the last drive. They kept playing man and we finally started beating them over the top.
Oh people will bring it up again. It will be wrong, but it will be brought up. Beauty of message boards is you can really just say whatever you want, truthful or not, fact or not, and just roll with it. That's why they're so entertaining. \:D/

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:27 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:51 pm
technoCat wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:40 pm

Oh people will bring it up again. It will be wrong, but it will be brought up. Beauty of message boards is you can really just say whatever you want, truthful or not, fact or not, and just roll with it. That's why they're so entertaining. \:D/
You’ve got it figured out my man! It’s supposed to be fun and you definitely seem to be having a good time with all this. 👍

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:51 pm

ilovethecats wrote:

=D^ =D^ =D^

GO CATS GO!!!

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:21 pm

FTG_1984 wrote:
So tell me Mr. Knowledgeable, does good QB play look like what Troy did last season? Because that's the drum you've been beating all season, and it's what we got last season and it wasn't pretty. Don't get me wrong, he's an amazing athlete, but a good QB he is not. Never will be.

Please enlighten us with your great wisdom, oh clairvoyant one.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:28 am

TR’s stats thru 5 games are (comp-att-int) 62-105-3 with 7 TD’s and an avg of 151yds/g, which gives him a Pass Efficiency Rating (aka QBR I believe???) of 136 according to the MSU website. However, his QBR was 195 against Norfolk, so his BSC QBR is ~ 120 I believe. Last year the BSC website showed our Pass Efficiency Rating for the team as 106.4 & 122yds/g passing for all games and 114 & 122 yds/g for BSC games, so we have improved, and Tucker is a part of that improvement.

I watched the replay as well and overall came away more optimistic than when I left the game. TR’s stats against Sac St were 16-29-1 with 1 TD and 262 yards (same as Thompson). As others have stated MSU outgained SSU 403 to 378. I’d like to point out that the CATS were in the red zone twice in the 4th quarter and were stopped on 4th downs….once at ~9 min mark and the next drive at ~5:30 mark…..remember we lost by 13.

I was overall more optimistic because even though the game was difficult to watch at times in person, we weren’t too far away from winning that game….but we didn’t. The two things that really were tough to stomach were the coach’s decision to go for it on 4th & 1 at MSU’s 43 yard line in the 1st quarter and then use a ‘gimmick’ play, and, the fact that we were able to manage just over 400 yards of offense but couldn’t punch the ball into the end zone in the 4th qrtr when it mattered. There was no doubt our OL got manhandled, but we had it 1st & goal on the 3 yard line and couldn’t get it in the endzone. Even though it’s tough to admit their DL was better than our OL, I think with just decent ‘play calling’ you should be able to punch it in given 4 tries. After all aren’t we suppose to have numerous weapons at our offensive disposal (which I think we do) that make our offense difficult to defend????

Could the players have played better….YEP. There aren’t too many games I’ve seen Choate & company get out coached…(2017 @ EWU was a game that comes to mind) but IMHO this loss is mostly on the coaching staff. I hope the staff can learn from this loss and improve their game. GO CATS!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:30 am

grizzh8r wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:21 pm
FTG_1984 wrote:
So tell me Mr. Knowledgeable, does good QB play look like what Troy did last season? Because that's the drum you've been beating all season, and it's what we got last season and it wasn't pretty. Don't get me wrong, he's an amazing athlete, but a good QB he is not. Never will be.

Always impressed with guys that can get "clairvoyant" in there. Seriously, kudos to that. =D^

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:34 am

During the first and goal from the 3 series MSU fumbled twice. That just sucked.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:48 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:34 am
During the first and goal from the 3 series MSU fumbled twice. That just sucked.
Ya what was that about?! That was very frustrating. Was that a snap issue too like some of the shotgun snaps we discussed? I didn't have a great vantage point but the center-quarterback combo seemed to struggle at times.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:02 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:48 am
iaafan wrote:
Ya what was that about?! That was very frustrating. Was that a snap issue too like some of the shotgun snaps we discussed? I didn't have a great vantage point but the center-quarterback combo seemed to struggle at times.
Rovig went under center on third down and mishandled the snap. Not sure if the snap was bad or not. Jonsen ran for two yards and fumbled and Tuiasosopo recovered. I don’t think the snap was bad. Regardless Jonsen had control of it, then got hit and fumbled. Actually gained two yards, so that play wasn’t a killer as much as the third down play, which lost a yard.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:33 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:02 am
ilovethecats wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Rovig went under center on third down and mishandled the snap. Not sure if the snap was bad or not. Jonsen ran for two yards and fumbled and Tuiasosopo recovered. I don’t think the snap was bad. Regardless Jonsen had control of it, then got hit and fumbled. Actually gained two yards, so that play wasn’t a killer as much as the third down play, which lost a yard.
If you're under center a muffed snap is on the quarterback 95% of the time. Take it from a former center :)

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:35 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:33 am
iaafan wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:02 am
ilovethecats wrote:
iaafan wrote:
If you're under center a muffed snap is on the quarterback 95% of the time. Take it from a former center :)
Well ******. God Rovig sucks! :wink:

Seriously though that aspect of the game has seemed a little sloppy to the casual fan.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:43 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:30 am
grizzh8r wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:21 pm
FTG_1984 wrote:

Always impressed with guys that can get "clairvoyant" in there. Seriously, kudos to that. =D^
Just calling it like I see it. He's obviously the smartest person in the room, we're just obtuse...

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan123 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:58 pm

Anyone else think Rovigs performance looks better now? Not sure what sneeds stats were against sac, but I think it was 140 yards passing and 2 interceptions. And that's arguably the best QB in the big sky! Sac is looking to be the top dog

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:37 am

Rovig looked leaps ahead of Sneed this game. Sneed was rattled from the second possession on. No running game. Bobby ball?