Culture and Stuff...

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Culture and Stuff...

Post by catatac » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:31 pm

Still digesting that loss and yes, overthinking some things. I still scratch my head at how a team that doesn't win a league game last year, gets a new head coach in place, and now first year out of the gates comes into Bobcat stadium and kicks the $*** out of a team that has all the boxes checked in terms of having the right culture and attitude, has loads of talent, players are big, fast, and physical, etc. For now I'm just going to chalk it up to that being our "bad" let down game and we'll do nothing but improve from here. Choate has said all along we'll be playing our best football in November, let's hope that is true because we're going to need to play quite a bit better that what we saw Saturday, to win those last two.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Re: Culture and Stuff...

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:40 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:31 pm
Still digesting that loss and yes, overthinking some things. I still scratch my head at how a team that doesn't win a league game last year, gets a new head coach in place, and now first year out of the gates comes into Bobcat stadium and kicks the $*** out of a team that has all the boxes checked in terms of having the right culture and attitude, has loads of talent, players are big, fast, and physical, etc. For now I'm just going to chalk it up to that being our "bad" let down game and we'll do nothing but improve from here. Choate has said all along we'll be playing our best football in November, let's hope that is true because we're going to need to play quite a bit better that what we saw Saturday, to win those last two.
Sac State went 7-4 two years ago when most of their best players were sophomores and juniors. They won six league games. Jody Sears was the Big Sky Coach of the Year. Last year, 10 Sac State starters lost their seasons to injury, including QB Kevin Thomson, DE George Obinna, DT Dariyn Choates, SS Mister Harriel, CB Dre Terrell. That plus a lack of internal continuity resulted in an 0-7 Big Sky record and the swift dismissal of of Sears and his staff.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:41 pm

Every team can have a bad game, it happens all the time. We had ours. How we respond is what matters most. It’s in the past, move on and hope that we can figure out what it takes to play all 4 quarters. Besides, I would rather lose to Sac than some of the other teams we play. Learn from your loss and help it motivate to win.

Punters are people too!!

Pecos24
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Pecos24 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:44 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:40 pm

Sac State went 7-4 two years ago when most of their best players were sophomores and juniors. They won six league games. Jody Sears was the Big Sky Coach of the Year. Last year, 10 Sac State starters lost their seasons to injury, including QB Kevin Thomson, DE George Obinna, DT Dariyn Choates, SS Mister Harriel, CB Dre Terrell. That plus a lack of internal continuity resulted in an 0-7 Big Sky record and the swift dismissal of of Sears and his staff.
Please quit muddying the waters with facts. Sac State sucks and we should have kicked their ass. :wink:

Bill Zander
CS '93
AKA - "F'n sorry ass"

BadlandsGrizFanAgain
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BadlandsGrizFanAgain » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:44 am

catatac wrote:
I think its just some games you have to have a QB go win one for you..Cats are really good everywhere except QB. This game is the result...its gotta cost games every now and then.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:15 am

I've been thinking a lot about the Sac State game and wasnt sure which topic to post this under. As the game went on, something stuck out to me. It seems like we have lost our identity on offense. It seemed to me that Rovig lined up as a receiver much more than he previously has leaving TJ and TA to lead our ground attack. I know that those formations are a big part of our offense but it seemed like we were lost and trying to tread water. As many posters have stated the play calling seemed suspect as well. My other thought was, maybe the fact that our offensive line got absolutely dominated just made it look like we lost our identity. What is everyone else thoughts on this?

Hating the griz since 02.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:58 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:40 pm
catatac wrote:
Troy Taylor is a rockstar coach & probably the best OC in FCS football. He also spent 2 years coaching at one of the best defensive schools in FBS before taking the Sac State job. And Andy Thompson spent a decade as one of the best DCs in the BSC.

We've got rookie DCs and OCs in their late 20s and early 30s.

You can expect to take some lumps when you go up against equally talented teams in those circumstances.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:00 am

well lets add this to the list:

QB sucks... check.
OL and DL suck... check.
TA is not being used properly... check.
Coach Choate sucks... check.
Coach Ioane sucks... check.
Sterk is most likely over-rated, how else can you explain his recent games... check.
Coach Miller sucks... check.
The team is not physical anymore... check.
Secondary sucks... check.
Gameday music sucks... check.
the new athletic structure is only 2 stories tall, NOT 3... check.
Travis Jonsen has a crappy attitude... check.

And as it turns out our teams culture is in question, and probably sucks too... ANNNND check.

I'm sure there are others I am missing? Anyone can feel free to add them to the list. :thumbup:

FTG- GO CATS GO!

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:01 am

btribby wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:15 am
I've been thinking a lot about the Sac State game and wasnt sure which topic to post this under. As the game went on, something stuck out to me. It seems like we have lost our identity on offense. It seemed to me that Rovig lined up as a receiver much more than he previously has leaving TJ and TA to lead our ground attack. I know that those formations are a big part of our offense but it seemed like we were lost and trying to tread water. As many posters have stated the play calling seemed suspect as well. My other thought was, maybe the fact that our offensive line got absolutely dominated just made it look like we lost our identity. What is everyone else thoughts on this?
Our oline did not have a great game for sure but I wouldn't say they were dominated. Sac St brought extra defenders on almost every wildcat formation and our RBs weren't holding up in the blocking game well(they were holding a lot just not the right kind :P ). Its come up a couple times here and there but not having 4 out of our top 5 full-time RBs may have contributed to this. Jones played for a bit but went down with an apparent hamstring injury. Ifanse was in on like 2 plays. Sumner was only on special teams. Karl Tucker was out. I wonder if we haven't practiced having TJ or TA in the backfield with Rovig much. Seems like we could be handing off to them more to keep teams honest. Maybe get Fitzgerald or Steele in on some shovel passes up the middle. This is a good time to have a bye week and tweak some of this stuff.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:06 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:00 am

QB sucks... check.
OL and DL suck... check.
Sterk is most likely over-rated, how else can you explain his recent games... check.

And as it turns out our teams culture is in question, and probably sucks too... ANNNND check.

I'm sure there are others I am missing? Anyone can feel free to add them to the list. :thumbup:
I blame it mostly on the lack of Hottie and Look-alike threads this season...

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:11 am

mslacatfan wrote:

QB sucks... check.
OL and DL suck... check.

Our fans suck and don't get back in after halftime... check
our strength coach sucks... check
the weather doesn't cooperate to give us home field advantage... check
BOBCATNATION's infinite wisdom is being squandered by stubborn coaches that can't see how obvious everything is... check :P

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:21 am

btribby wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:15 am
There’s a lot said about putting guys into a position to win, which is the job of the coaches/head coach. If we are being “ out schemed” by the opponent, something Coach Choate admitted to on both sides of the ball, then it’s a coaches job to see it, adjust to it, and attack the opponent based on the scheme.

We were not prepared for Sac St to play us physically or schematically and we didn’t “get it “ till later in the game. In spite of our previous experiences of coming back from being down, we could not against a very good team!

I seriously put this loss on the coaches, whom I love, but who are themselves not a finished product either. Choate is kinda stubborn at times as I think we saw in the first 4th down debacle that essentially cost us a TD. Matt Miller is at times too cute too often as per the 4th down debacle. And Kane is maybe too shy to gamble on things that need to be tried in order to get off the field.

As much as our players need the bye to reflect, I think the coaches more so need it to come to the table and make decisions about what we need to stop doing, start doing, and keep doing. Success is about being consistent in the right things... and that’s a coaches job! Get us there coach and we win out!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:24 am

Camo_Cat wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:06 am
mslacatfan wrote:

QB sucks... check.
OL and DL suck... check.

valid point. I would have to agree with you.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:29 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:24 am
Camo_Cat wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:06 am
mslacatfan wrote:

QB sucks... check.
OL and DL suck... check.

valid point. I would have to agree with you.
Its weird how things go from "so and so had a bad game/is inconsistent/has weak aspects of their game" to "So and so sucks"

Only a couple of people (I think they were drunk, and they've mostly disappeared post game thread) said that anybody sucked.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:04 am

We are going to be just fine for the rest of the season...check

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:26 pm

superbobcat wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:04 am
And as is the case most of the time, neither extreme is true. Nothing nor anybody on or around this team sucks, nor is everything just going to magically be OK without changes being made. Truth is somewhere in between.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:47 am

KittieKop wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:26 pm
superbobcat wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:04 am
And as is the case most of the time, neither extreme is true. Nothing nor anybody on or around this team sucks, nor is everything just going to magically be OK without changes being made. Truth is somewhere in between.
Yup, great point. I'm sticking with one more loss and heading into the playoffs at 9-3. We COULD run the table but I'm not counting on it. We could also drop two more which would still get us into the playoffs most likely.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

StatedImprovement
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by StatedImprovement » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:56 pm

Read a little History
the 'culture' of bobcatnation is intact, these mid-season meltdowns are actually fairly traditional if you just scroll back to this point of most seasons since this board was founded

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm

mslacatfan wrote:

QB sucks... check.
OL and DL suck... check.

You forgot to add that Bobcat Nation is too positive!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:12 pm

StatedImprovement wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:56 pm
Read a little History
the 'culture' of bobcatnation is intact, these mid-season meltdowns are actually fairly traditional if you just scroll back to this point of most seasons since this board was founded
While egriz is in a constant state of idiocy year round