Not sold on Choate

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Not sold on Choate

Post by RobertoGato » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:13 pm

iaafan wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:49 am
He said, “...Rovig got them into the RZ with a big passing play...”. Singular tense. I was just saying he got them there three times in the fourth quarter.

I don’t think it plays to anyone’s strengths to be in a position where they HAVE TO throw the ball.

Regardless of the situation, Rovig played some of his best football in the fourth quarter. I think it sets him up to have a good bye week, which in turn plays into MSU’s schedule, which features five teams in the bottom half of the league in pass D efficiency.
Actually, I said that. And I wasn't trying to say that he only made one good play. I was giving an example. As in "I don't think this is the Cats' strength, but that doesn't mean it never happens-- Rovig's arm got them in the RZ in one play, for instance." Sorry that wasn't clear.

Of course no team wants to be forced into passing. But some teams would naturally do better in that situation because passing is what they do well to begin with. That was basically the point-- the Cats can and do come back, but if they have to do so in a hurry, it plays to what has been their weakness for a number of seasons now.

But yes, I think Rovig played pretty well after a pretty bad start to that game. I am rooting for him to build on that and come out of the bye demonstrating consistent improvement. I want to see him come out and play like that from Q1, and not just have it turn on when the game is nearly out of hand.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:40 am

This is probably my favorite thread so far this season and sums up the craziness of fans in general.

There wasn't a single thread regarding Choate all season. But he loses his first game in the FCS and suddenly at 4:00 Saturday afternoon one guy claims he's not sold on him! Ha. If a person truly believed that it would have come up somewhere our other six games of the season. It's always fascinating to me how people let one game dictate their feelings for a program.

The follow-up post of "I don't know who's worse, the offense or defense" was a solid touch!

I get it's not all going to be rainbows and butterflies all season. I'm fine calling it like I see it. But whoa.

Good rule of thumb for this board. Picture yourself in front of the entire team and coaching staff after the game. You're front and center. You have the floor. The players are on pins and needle awaiting your insight. What would you say? Would you tell them you don't know who's worse, the offense or defense? Would you tell Choate he sucks. Would you say any of the countless crap I've read here all week?

No Chance.

Kindergarten stuff here fellas. If you wouldn't have the balls to say some of this garbage to the players and coaches themselves, why tough-guy it up anonymously on a message board? It's silly but really very simple. If you're really so upset about a college football team, either find a new team or better yet just stay away from the game all together. Some of you aren't quite able to handle it! Lol.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:51 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:40 am
This is probably my favorite thread so far this season and sums up the craziness of fans in general.

There wasn't a single thread regarding Choate all season. But he loses his first game in the FCS and suddenly at 4:00 Saturday afternoon one guy claims he's not sold on him! Ha. If a person truly believed that it would have come up somewhere our other six games of the season. It's always fascinating to me how people let one game dictate their feelings for a program.

The follow-up post of "I don't know who's worse, the offense or defense" was a solid touch!

I get it's not all going to be rainbows and butterflies all season. I'm fine calling it like I see it. But whoa.

Good rule of thumb for this board. Picture yourself in front of the entire team and coaching staff after the game. You're front and center. You have the floor. The players are on pins and needle awaiting your insight. What would you say? Would you tell them you don't know who's worse, the offense or defense? Would you tell Choate he sucks. Would you say any of the countless crap I've read here all week?

No Chance.

Kindergarten stuff here fellas. If you wouldn't have the balls to say some of this garbage to the players and coaches themselves, why tough-guy it up anonymously on a message board? It's silly but really very simple. If you're really so upset about a college football team, either find a new team or better yet just stay away from the game all together. Some of you aren't quite able to handle it! Lol.
I have been saying the same thing for years! Now you will have posters shout you down and say “it’s a message board and it exists to discuss and offer opinions”. As someone so eloquently put it in an earlier thread, “there is a difference between opinion and just being a dick”.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:08 am

ilovethecats wrote:

No Chance.

=D^ =D^

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:24 am

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:51 am
ilovethecats wrote:

No Chance.

I have been saying the same thing for years! Now you will have posters shout you down and say “it’s a message board and it exists to discuss and offer opinions”. As someone so eloquently put it in an earlier thread, “there is a difference between opinion and just being a dick”.
I'll agree to an extent, about the extremists. But at the same time if the extremists on the other side who have made Choate out to be their football god can't handle the first bit of criticism about him or the team, maybe they should also take a break and get a little perspective. There's crazies on both sides of this.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

MSUBOBCAT4LIFE
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MSUBOBCAT4LIFE » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:09 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:24 am
Cataholic wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

No Chance.

I'll agree to an extent, about the extremists. But at the same time if the extremists on the other side who have made Choate out to be their football god can't handle the first bit of criticism about him or the team, maybe they should also take a break and get a little perspective. There's crazies on both sides of this.
=D^ agreed

I Bleed Blue & Gold & Find Myself Watching Replays Of The Game The Day After Being There In Person. Some Call Me Crazy I Call It Dedication

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:33 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

No Chance.

I would need to see an example of this though. I'm a big believer in Choate. I feel good about him. But I liked Ash and Kramer too and don't think they need to be exclusive. So I support him, but definitely don't think he's a god. I certainly don't think he's incapable of making mistakes.

I have read first-hand on this board that "Choate sucks". If I missed the post that said "Choate is a god" than my apologies.

I get what you're saying. There may be people who truly believe that Choate can do no wrong and he's perfect in every way. He certainly seems to have the support of most people for sure. God? That's not my personal perception but I'm glad we have him.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:18 pm

utucats wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:34 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:41 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:39 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:10 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:22 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:13 pm
It all ties back to the situation and the play calling. I think you are right about doing that on 2, if not 3 straight drives. But the issue seemed to be throwing a deep ball on 1st down, not completing it, then a running team is behind schedule and even a 3 yard gain on 2nd down gets you into a 3rd and long. We haven't seen the read option with Rovig nearly as much as I thought we would either. As CelticCat said he is capable of getting good yards on designed run plays. That alone would force teams to key in on more than just the RB when Rovig is operating the offense. That would also lead to more effective play action. Who knows though. This is probably stuff that has come up and it might not be something the coaches feel doesn't work. I think the UND game will be telling for the rest of the season as far as the offense is concerned.
I mean no offense, and maybe certain posters will just have to agree to disagree, but I just don't see this as being the consistent problem.

On Saturday, they started behind the sticks because Rovig air-mailed a wide open screen in the flat to Kassis. Most of his reads are short throws. He misses too many gimmes. If all he did was complete the easy ones consistently, I think he would be playing more consistent snaps.
I was referring strictly to the NAU game. I believe we went deep on 2 straight drives on 1st down or 2nd and long or medium.

As for the airmailing balls do you have any specific plays you can point to? The first pass of the game was a 6-8 yard comeback, not a screen pass. Yes he threw it way too high, but I don't recall too many other high throws, or throws in the dirt from Saturday. I could be misremebering though. I would say his passes on comebacks and slants are his most consistent passes. Sometimes a little hot on the slants but pretty accurate.
When back to check. We were both wrong. Kassis runs a 5 yard hitch. Rovig airmailed him.

All that said, Rovig did make some nicer throws in this game. I don't think he was dreadful or the sole reason we lost. But he struggled early.
Not sure what you armchair QB's are seeing, but I'm seeing a better and better Rovig each time he plays. IF, he can be truly given a game to manage, in spite of all the TA and TJ QB apologists, I believe every aspect of our Offense runs better. Given the fact that Coach Choate himself stated that Sac St. was Rovigs best game to date, 262 yards and a TD against a great Defense, I expect to see a more stable QB commitment. What is abundantly clear to everyone is that what we're doing with 3 players filling the spot with 2 doing essentially the same thing (running) keeps no one off stride except our Offense!
Rovig’s yardage can be attributed to us being forced to pass against a great run D who is susceptible to giving up passing yards. If you paid attention you’ll remember that Rovig was one Sac secondary drop away from giving up a pick 6 as well.

Rovig’s strength is throwing short to medium routes. He’s had some nice ones but he is so inconsistent. He doesn’t go thru reads, he’s an easy sack for a good defensive front and too often he airmails passes over heads or had passes eat turf 5 yards before the receivers.

We are a running team, let’s give up any hope that we are going to pick teams apart through the air. I’m starting to think that BNs desire for a traditional QB has led us down this path. I’d have rather had last years offense against Sac. Does anyone really believe that TA can’t make the throws these guys are barely ever making?
Yes, I do believe TA can't hit those throws, because he rarely hit them last year. Last year's short passing game was mind-bogglingly bad and directly contributed to a couple losses. If you go back and watch the games again, TR has hit on FAR more short throws than he has hasn't. This was the reason CB got replaced by TR. As others have mentioned, CB's mechanics and footwork are so far from good right now that he couldn't hit ANYTHING short. Time and coaching can improve that.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:39 am

KittieKop wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

No Chance.

I am one that backs Choate because I love his intensity and the culture difference he’s brought to the program. Others, like yourself, don’t seem to want for give him credit. Maybe an out of touch idolization of Ash? I think we are better off and the reaction to our first FCS loss proves that Choate has raised the expectations to a point where BN can’t handle even one L.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:05 am

utucats wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:39 am
KittieKop wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

No Chance.

I am one that backs Choate because I love his intensity and the culture difference he’s brought to the program. Others, like yourself, don’t seem to want for give him credit. Maybe an out of touch idolization of Ash? I think we are better off and the reaction to our first FCS loss proves that Choate has raised the expectations to a point where BN can’t handle even one L.
BN can never handle one loss. That's not new. Choate has brought some positive changes but his grade at this point is "incomplete." I absolutely love his commitment to building facilities, to floating the boat of the entire department. But I'm not convinced that he's been able to build the team in the fashion he says he has. We're a team that wants to dominate the LOS, but we were absolutely trucked at the line of scrimmage against the first decent FCS team we played. We've only beaten teams with vastly inferior line play thus far in his tenure, and that includes UM all 3 times. I have grown to like the idea of just trying to dominate teams, wear them down and beat them late, but we're still too unproductive on offense, specifically in the passing game, to do it to good teams. That was the principal complaint of the Ash era, that we were a paper tiger who beat up on bad teams and never beat a good team. How has that changed? The difference is beating Montana, and that's a big one that i get and trust me, nobody likes beating those clowns more than I do. But we're still getting dominated by the best teams in FCS, so has much really changed?

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:52 am

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:05 am
utucats wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

No Chance.

BN can never handle one loss. That's not new. Choate has brought some positive changes but his grade at this point is "incomplete." I absolutely love his commitment to building facilities, to floating the boat of the entire department. But I'm not convinced that he's been able to build the team in the fashion he says he has. We're a team that wants to dominate the LOS, but we were absolutely trucked at the line of scrimmage against the first decent FCS team we played. We've only beaten teams with vastly inferior line play thus far in his tenure, and that includes UM all 3 times. I have grown to like the idea of just trying to dominate teams, wear them down and beat them late, but we're still too unproductive on offense, specifically in the passing game, to do it to good teams. That was the principal complaint of the Ash era, that we were a paper tiger who beat up on bad teams and never beat a good team. How has that changed? The difference is beating Montana, and that's a big one that i get and trust me, nobody likes beating those clowns more than I do. But we're still getting dominated by the best teams in FCS, so has much really changed?
Goldstone, take a look in the mirror. you’re obviously one of BN who can’t handle that MSU lost to SAC.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:55 am

GoldstoneCat wrote:
utucats wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

No Chance.

You're putting an awful lot of conjecture about Choate "still getting dominated" by good teams, on ONE GAME. It was 1 mistake-filed game that we lost by 13 points. Over his tenure we have hung with some of the best teams in FCS including Weber, Kennesaw and SDSU. Choate's problem is that he has trouble beating those teams. But to say he gets dominated by them is just an overly emotional reaction to a very disappointing homecoming loss. The only games we've truly been dominated were Ndsu, and sdsu last year when we had a hurt Troy and a rookie QB in his first ever live action.

There's still a lot of football to be played this season. Let's see how it plays out.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:26 am

My complaint about Choate is that he's been far too aggressive this season on going for it on 4th downs inside our own 50, IMO. Must be an analytics thing, who knows.

It hadn't hurt us yet until the Sac game. But I believe that was where Sac truly gained the momentum and belief that they could beat us.

Our offense drove the length of the field on the first drive, then threw the pick. Defense comes out and forces a quick punt. We get the ball back around our own 30, drive about 8 yards and end up with 4th and 2.
It's the first quarter in a 0-0 game against the #1 rush D in the league with the ball in our own end. PUNT THE FOOTBALL.

After they got the pick and then that turnover on downs, which really is equivalent to 2 consecutive turnovers in the first quarter, Sac made us pay by punching in a TD and I think our team lost some confidence after that, and Sac gained a ton of confidence.

That play changed the game IMO. If we punt and give our defense some field to work with, maybe they come up with another stop and we get the ball back with the score still 0-0. Who knows.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:20 am

91catAlum wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:26 am
My complaint about Choate is that he's been far too aggressive this season on going for it on 4th downs inside our own 50, IMO. Must be an analytics thing, who knows.

It hadn't hurt us yet until the Sac game. But I believe that was where Sac truly gained the momentum and belief that they could beat us.

Our offense drove the length of the field on the first drive, then threw the pick. Defense comes out and forces a quick punt. We get the ball back around our own 30, drive about 8 yards and end up with 4th and 2.
It's the first quarter in a 0-0 game against the #1 rush D in the league with the ball in our own end. PUNT THE FOOTBALL.

After they got the pick and then that turnover on downs, which really is equivalent to 2 consecutive turnovers in the first quarter, Sac made us pay by punching in a TD and I think our team lost some confidence after that, and Sac gained a ton of confidence.

That play changed the game IMO. If we punt and give our defense some field to work with, maybe they come up with another stop and we get the ball back with the score still 0-0. Who knows.
I'll just add, I absolutely loved the gutsy call to go for it on 4th down when we got the TD.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:38 am

catatac wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:20 am
91catAlum wrote:

I'll just add, I absolutely loved the gutsy call to go for it on 4th down when we got the TD.
I'll just clarify that I'm not against going for it on 4th downs ever. Just in our own end. I think the cost outweights the potential gains. The best that can happen is you gain a couple yards and get a first down and still have the ball on your side of the 50. The worst is that you give the other team a very short field, probably some points if they can drive it 10-15 yards, and a big boost of confidence that their defense can stop you.
Last edited by 91catAlum on Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:39 am

GoldstoneCat wrote:
We're a team that wants to dominate the LOS, but we were absolutely trucked at the line of scrimmage against the first decent FCS team we played. We've only beaten teams with vastly inferior line play thus far in his tenure, and that includes UM all 3 times.
Just so I'm clear...

All of the times the Cats have dominated the line of scrimmage over the last few years (Griz all three years) it was only because they were inferior? But if we lose the battle on the line of scrimmage like we did Saturday it's on Choate?

This is akin to hyping up a team before you play them and discussing all their strengths. Then when you beat them...suddenly they weren't very good.

I don't claim to be an expert on line play. Know nothing about it to be honest. But isn't it possible when we dominate the line of scrimmage it's because we're pretty good in that area, and not just because the other teams suck?

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:52 am

So I keep seeing it repeated that our lines got "dominated" in this game as if its an absolute fact and wanted to mention a couple things:

1. We were running the ball ok until Sac sold out on stacking the box. It was usually 7/8(SSU) vs 5/6(MSU) at the line.
2. We went wide on several plays were we only needed a yard allowing them to shoot gaps with their smaller players.
3. Our rb protection was pretty bad in this game. They were usually beat and if the refs wanted to, could have called a holding penalty almost every play on them. This is where being down your top 3 pure backs hurts you.
4. Our dline couldn't get any pressure because Thomson was getting the ball out as soon as his back foot hit the ground on that third step. I don't know how much was scheme and how much was bad coverage but he always had somewhere to go fast.
5. We actually did pretty good against the run. I think they were right around 100 yards for the game with 70 something of it being Thomson.

Did they have a great game? Obviously not but if we are talking about pure talent line versus line, they were not outclassed IMHO. We need to figure out how to turn the weaknesses that we saw on Saturday into strengths and I believe that will be coming from the top down. The bye week came at a perfect time for us and will show us if these young coordinators really have the potential we hope they do.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:03 am

91catAlum wrote:

I didn't mind going for it, but running wide was a mistake. Just give it to Andersen and hit the gut.

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:15 am

Before we go baggin' on Choate or Miller or Ione, or the job the staff is doing, why don't we wait until we see how they respond coming out of the bye week. My guess is that this loss stings with everyone involved with the program and much more so than it does with us fans. I can't imagine how pissed off everyone is on the team and they are probably chomping at the bit to go hit somebody. I actually feel a little sorry for UND, because I personally feel that they are gonna experience our full wrath. This Bobcat team is gonna come ready to prove some stuff.

The bye week always seemed to be one of Ash's weaknesses. We always came out flat afterwards. I think Choate and staff are gonna have this team ready to play.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:20 am

Camo_Cat wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:15 am
Before we go baggin' on Choate or Miller or Ione, or the job the staff is doing, why don't we wait until we see how they respond coming out of the bye week. My guess is that this loss stings with everyone involved with the program and much more so than it does with us fans. I can't imagine how pissed off everyone is on the team and they are probably chomping at the bit to go hit somebody. I actually feel a little sorry for UND, because I personally feel that they are gonna experience our full wrath. This Bobcat team is gonna come ready to prove some stuff.

The bye week always seemed to be one of Ash's weaknesses. We always came out flat afterwards. I think Choate and staff are gonna have this team ready to play.
If MSU beats UND it won’t be by enough or its not good enough because UND isn’t a top team.