Not sold on Choate

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Not sold on Choate

Post by CelticCat » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:09 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:03 am
I might be crazy but I feel like I’ve seen steady improvement by Rovig all season. He missed a couple Saturday but I wouldn’t say it was qb play that was the biggest factor in this loss. Plenty of blame to go around.
You're not crazy. He is incrementally improving. Still has a long ways to go but the game is going to start to slow down for him more and more.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:35 am

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:09 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:03 am
I might be crazy but I feel like I’ve seen steady improvement by Rovig all season. He missed a couple Saturday but I wouldn’t say it was qb play that was the biggest factor in this loss. Plenty of blame to go around.
You're not crazy. He is incrementally improving. Still has a long ways to go but the game is going to start to slow down for him more and more.
This is how I feel as well. I really don't understand the people that are so convinced he is a terrible QB and "not D1 material". What does that even mean? Is there a QB camp somewhere that they give you 10 throws to make and if you don't deliver them all perfectly with a LB blitzing you from 5 yards away, you get the big red "REJECTED" stamp? :wink:

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Here2inform
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Here2inform » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:54 am

I feel sorry for Rovig, he is a mental mess right now. He is having a total Bleskin. I would be surprised if he ever comes out of it. After the interception near the goal line not one person consoled him the entire camera shot of him walking the sideline. I feel the team isn’t behind him and the coaches are pushing him into a tough situation. He is young and has the talent, but his confidence is near shattered. I see the same similarities to the Griz player Adam (fumbler) Eastwood, where he is inserted into 2 different games and immediately fumbles. The kid was broken. Then with the game in control against ISU he breaks a 50+ yard run. Rovig needs a game like that run against a good team, not against the sisters of the poor. If Rovig can come back from this, it will make for a great movie. Good luck to that fine young man.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:19 pm

Here2inform wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:54 am
I feel sorry for Rovig, he is a mental mess right now. He is having a total Bleskin. I would be surprised if he ever comes out of it. After the interception near the goal line not one person consoled him the entire camera shot of him walking the sideline. I feel the team isn’t behind him and the coaches are pushing him into a tough situation. He is young and has the talent, but his confidence is near shattered. I see the same similarities to the Griz player Adam (fumbler) Eastwood, where he is inserted into 2 different games and immediately fumbles. The kid was broken. Then with the game in control against ISU he breaks a 50+ yard run. Rovig needs a game like that run against a good team, not against the sisters of the poor. If Rovig can come back from this, it will make for a great movie. Good luck to that fine young man.
Speculate much? You really aren't very good at it.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:25 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:34 am
I am wondering if that is part of the problem though. Our opponents surely know that Tucker is limited on his reads (We know it and Choate has said so). So they have to be developing a game plan based on his lack of reads. For example, if Tucker is looking to the right flat after the snap, I would expect the defense will commit and fly to that spot. They are not worried about a second read.
Rovig's biggest problem has been missing open receivers, rather than the defense keying on his first reads. And if he isn't ready to progress through his reads, I don't know what the staff can do other than provide him with easy, defined throws. And this is something that they've gone out of their way to do.

For instance, Rovig's first pass yesterday was a quick hitter in the flat. The receiver was open and he air mailed it.

MinnesotaBobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MinnesotaBobcat » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:08 pm

Does anyone wonder what would happen if we didn't go back to Andersen/Jonsen at the first sign of trouble? Yes, those guys are dynamic...and we should get the ball in their hands as much as we can, but can't we do that with Rovig behind center? How can anyone expect him to get better if he never has a chance to work through adversity and gain some confidence? Fact is we are likely to make the playoff's with Rovig/Andersen/Jonsen behind center....but I think the trip to Fargo last season showed the limitations of a one dimensional offense. Unfortunately, that trip doesn't look any easier this year. So, why not take advantage of the next 3 games and see if we can't get him going for the stretch run? I think he might actually surprise some folks.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:12 pm

MinnesotaBobcat wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:08 pm
Does anyone wonder what would happen if we didn't go back to Andersen/Jonsen at the first sign of trouble? Yes, those guys are dynamic...and we should get the ball in their hands as much as we can, but can't we do that with Rovig behind center? How can anyone expect him to get better if he never has a chance to work through adversity and gain some confidence? Fact is we are likely to make the playoff's with Rovig/Andersen/Jonsen behind center....but I think the trip to Fargo last season showed the limitations of a one dimensional offense. Unfortunately, that trip doesn't look any easier this year. So, why not take advantage of the next 3 games and see if we can't get him going for the stretch run? I think he might actually surprise some folks.
How dare you state blasphemy like this!!!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

1984champ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984champ » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:20 pm

The common denominator with the QB issue and lack of success in the passing game is the coaching and Choate’s offensive philosophy. Any young QB is going to struggle the way MSU is programmed to operate the offense.

Mtcatfan

Post by Mtcatfan » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:30 pm

No reason we can't line up in the backfield with Rovig at QB, flanked by Jonsen and Troy. In fact it might be quite intimidating to defenses not knowing whether we pass or give it to one of those guys.

MinnesotaBobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MinnesotaBobcat » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:31 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:12 pm
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:

Sorry....how about "none of our qb's can hit water from a boat, so let's throw Sterk out there and see what he can do." :)

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:36 pm

MinnesotaBobcat wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:31 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:12 pm
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:

Sorry....how about "none of our qb's can hit water from a boat, so let's throw Sterk out there and see what he can do." :)
I could see him at running back. :D

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:44 pm

Mtcatfan wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:30 pm
No reason we can't line up in the backfield with Rovig at QB, flanked by Jonsen and Troy. In fact it might be quite intimidating to defenses not knowing whether we pass or give it to one of those guys.
I’d like to see it.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:53 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:44 pm
Mtcatfan wrote:
I’d like to see it.
This is something I've been fantasizing about since the offseason. Why on earth can't we have Andersen behind Rovig, motion Jonsen over from the WR spot and run a zone-read with Rovig who himself is capable of at least getting 5-8 yards?

There are other ways to get our playmakers involved if the passing is struggling than running a wildcat formation with Tucker Rovig lined up wide left.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:58 pm

MinnesotaBobcat wrote:
Didn't we do this Vs NAU?

He was in for three straight drives against NAU all while the Cats were down 21-0 (three straight punts). He was 1/4 on those three drives for 2 yards. Jonsen and Andersen got one touch each on those drives.

And they didn't exactly bench him on Saturday. He attempted 29 passes. But when your top two running backs aren't healthy and you need some rush offense, then I don't see how you get by without sprinkling in some QB run action.

All that said, I am fine with just letting Rovig figure it out against lesser competition in the coming weeks, as long as the games aren't getting out of hand. If they want to get back to the tournament, they have to win games. I find it very hard to believe that would have won Vs. NAU and @ CP if they just left Rovig in the whole time. Had they just stuck with him and the Cats were 3-3 right now, I think a lot of people would be calling for Choate's head for not using Jonsen/Andersen more.
Last edited by RobertoGato on Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:00 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:53 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:44 pm
Mtcatfan wrote:
I’d like to see it.
This is something I've been fantasizing about since the offseason. Why on earth can't we have Andersen behind Rovig, motion Jonsen over from the WR spot and run a zone-read with Rovig who himself is capable of at least getting 5-8 yards?

There are other ways to get our playmakers involved if the passing is struggling than running a wildcat formation with Tucker Rovig lined up wide left.
One great silver lining from last weeks game? The coaches will now be forced to continually evolve the offense to keep pace with the good teams.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:13 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:58 pm
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:
Didn't we do this Vs NAU?

He was in for three straight drives against NAU all while the Cats were down 21-0 (three straight punts). He was 1/4 on those three drives for 2 yards. Jonsen and Andersen got one touch each on those drives.

And they didn't exactly bench him on Saturday. He attempted 29 passes. But when your top two running backs aren't healthy and you need some rush offense, then I don't see how you get by without sprinkling in some QB run action.

All that said, I am fine with just letting Rovig figure it out against lesser competition in the coming weeks, as long as the games aren't getting out of hand. If they want to get back to the tournament, they have to win games. I find it very hard to believe that would have won Vs. NAU and @ CP if they just left Rovig in the whole time. Had they just stuck with him and the Cats were 3-3 right now, I think a lot of people would be calling for Choate's head for not using Jonsen/Andersen more.
It all ties back to the situation and the play calling. I think you are right about doing that on 2, if not 3 straight drives. But the issue seemed to be throwing a deep ball on 1st down, not completing it, then a running team is behind schedule and even a 3 yard gain on 2nd down gets you into a 3rd and long. We haven't seen the read option with Rovig nearly as much as I thought we would either. As CelticCat said he is capable of getting good yards on designed run plays. That alone would force teams to key in on more than just the RB when Rovig is operating the offense. That would also lead to more effective play action. Who knows though. This is probably stuff that has come up and it might not be something the coaches feel doesn't work. I think the UND game will be telling for the rest of the season as far as the offense is concerned.

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:22 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:13 pm
It all ties back to the situation and the play calling. I think you are right about doing that on 2, if not 3 straight drives. But the issue seemed to be throwing a deep ball on 1st down, not completing it, then a running team is behind schedule and even a 3 yard gain on 2nd down gets you into a 3rd and long. We haven't seen the read option with Rovig nearly as much as I thought we would either. As CelticCat said he is capable of getting good yards on designed run plays. That alone would force teams to key in on more than just the RB when Rovig is operating the offense. That would also lead to more effective play action. Who knows though. This is probably stuff that has come up and it might not be something the coaches feel doesn't work. I think the UND game will be telling for the rest of the season as far as the offense is concerned.
I mean no offense, and maybe certain posters will just have to agree to disagree, but I just don't see this as being the consistent problem.

On Saturday, they started behind the sticks because Rovig air-mailed a wide open screen in the flat to Kassis. Most of his reads are short throws. He misses too many gimmes. If all he did was complete the easy ones consistently, I think he would be playing more consistent snaps.

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:31 pm

Just so y'all remember, Jerod Padmos was a decent QB at Jefferson High School. I think maybe he should get the start next game...........

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:46 pm

Why don’t they allow Denarius to help with coaching the QB’s?

Punters are people too!!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:58 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:46 pm
Why don’t they allow Denarius to help with coaching the QB’s?
Because that chance was already given to Denarius and it turned out he was a better fit to coach the running backs. I've talked about this already this season but I'll say it one more time: just because you were a star at the position you played in college doesn't always mean you will be a great coach at the position...at least right away. Denarius had so much inherent talent that its tough to coach and Denarius kind of found that out when he was QB coach. He had to learn how to be a coach first. He has taken over the RBs and has done a solid job. Let him keep developing as a coach and eventually he will get back to coaching the QB position.