Not sold on Choate

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Not sold on Choate

Post by FTG_1984 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:02 am

91catAlum wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:53 am
FTG_1984 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:04 am
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:03 pm
IHATEHIPPIES wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:37 pm
We are not top 25 in the nation. Terrible coaching decisions all around.
You are an idiot.

Sac state is a top 10 team in the nation. They lost to 2 fbs schools by a combined like 15 points.
This is exactly what I tried to tell this board last week coming into this game. It seemed the majority disagreed, and delusional fans who predicted 20+ blowouts over Sac State like Montanabob, ilovethecats, 91catAlum, etc. piled on.

Other delusional fans like catsrback76, bobcats92, etc. actually believe Rovig is a good QB. Look at his play compared to our opponents QB. What is wrong with you? Not laying all the blame on him alone, but he looks like a high school QB out there.

The more astute observers on this board realize that our team is playing with very little emotion right now, especially yesterday. I maintain my claim that thiss is because they do not believe in our starting QB. When your locker room loses faith in the QB & system, the morale impact of this is huge.

I heard Choate after this game praise Rovig's play. If he's allowed to stay as starting QB, I believe this is a critical mistake & could be the beginning of the end for Choate.

We are not a Top 25 team with Rovig at QB. Ihatehippies is correct as we stand right now.
My prediction was 28-27 so get your facts straight before you call people out.
Fair enough. You're right & I never saw that. But I based this off a previous post of yours on that thread where you piled on Counter Assault after he accurately predicted the outcome of this game.

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:16 am

RobertoGato wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:12 pm
If you came into this game not sold on Choate, then fine.

If you changed your opinion based on this one game, get a grip.
I disagree. Personally, I've always been sold on Choate & have never doubted him until after this game when he praised the play of Rovig. This is a major red flag in my mind.

This was a key game in Choate's career. It could very well be a long, long time before we ever see the Cats ranked #6 in the nation again. It's likely we could look back on this game as a turning point from everything I see right now.

So, yes, it's just one game. But it was a critical one.

Call me crazy, but if Choate continues to stick with Rovig as starting QB this board will be talking about how the 2nd half of this season marks the low point Choate's Bobcat career. And with all the starters we lose going into next year, there will be a lot of regret about decisions made in the 2nd half of this season.

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:22 am

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:44 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:10 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:05 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:56 pm
Bsmithmsu wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:41 pm
bobcatfan123 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:12 pm

What we need is an experienced QB coach. MM was a WR and never had experience coaching QBs before this year. We have QBs in Rovig and Bauman that are fundamentally lacking. Especially Bauman. Beltran is the only one that is there that has been well schooled in the basics of the position. He is fundamentally solid. He has worked with a professional QB tutor since he was 12yo. However, it appears that he is not in the picture for some reason.

Hopefully during this bye week they can get things back on track. I am sure they are re-thinking things as I type. Coach Choate has shown that he is not afraid to make changes. Looking forward to a strong finish this season.
If Beltran has had a private QB coach for 8 or so years and is not a starter wouldn’t you expect him to be looking to transfer? I know I would be if I had that on my resume. That is assuming he is a decent QB. I had not idea he was professionally coached. Maybe Choat is planning him as the long term starter after this season.
Beltran can make all the throws, he can run and scramble has good footwork and doesn’t make mistakes. Also a smart kid. Must be frustrating for him. He hasn’ been in the picture since day one he has been here. It has been a competition between Bauman and Rovig.
The most popular guy in town after a loss, is the backup QB. Amirite??
Not saying that at all. Just seems strange that he never has gotten a chance.
Bob - you regularly post about how he is a great thrower, accurate, good footwork, leader, etc. How in the world would you know this? Did you watch him in high school? Is it just rumor and conjecture? Isn’t it possible that Bauman and Rovig actually beat him in practice???

So when Troy was playing, many wanted Rovig. When Rovig was playing, many called for Bauman. When Bauman is playing again, many are now calling for Beltran? Is it possible that all these naysayers have no idea what is best? Some people were calling for a QB replacement with Murray saying he couldn’t throw.

For those wanting an immediate solution, it might not exist. The Sac State QB was in his sixth year! We have a redshirt Sophomore and two redshirt freshmen and two true freshmen. I am going to trust that the coaches are playing the best option possible. Choate has already proven that he will play the absolute best option to win.
I maintain that Bauman has looked much much better than Rovig since Day 1. If Beltran is not given a chance, and Choate refuses to let Troy or Jonsen be the primary QB, then Bauman should be at the helm at least. We are going nowhere fast with Rovig as the starter.

I want to trust the coaches in their decisions too, as obviously they see a bigger picture than us outsiders. But I've currently lost complete faith in their decision-making ability at the QB position right now.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:04 am

GoCats18 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:58 pm
I will take this loss. If we are going to lose a game this season, this was the one to do it. You now go into your bye week. This staff will have 2 weeks to learn, teach and fix the problems we have had. It will give players a time to rest, heal, learn and prepare for the second half of the season. Listen, be realistic people. This is one game. This team has the ability to be in the top 10 easily. The Big Sky is known for being all over the place. Just sit back and watch. I really feel that there is another team that is going to fall apart, and we will have a chance in the end to share the conference title. It is possible.
If the Cats fix everything in the bye week, and win out, no harm done. Losses happen, its not the end of the world. The frustration with this game is two other things:

1) If you take this loss (2 scores) along with the struggles the Cats showed against a middle of the road TT team, a really bad 0-6 Western Illinois team, and almost giving up a big lead at 2-4 Poly...Well, then, it isn't "just one game". Its a pattern of skating by and winning big against a really weak schedule. In other words, its a carbon copy of the last few years of the last coaching staff. Win big over inferior opponents and lose decisively to good ones. Can it get fixed in time to win out? Sure. But the Sac game isn't some sort of anomaly, its part of a bigger pattern.

2) I think everyone's expectation is that 4 years into Choate's tenure, the Cats would be back to competing for conference championships and playoff seeds. Could Sac, Weber, and UM all collapse down the stretch & allow the Cats back into the conversation for a championship and/or a playoff seed? Sure, but its completely out of the Cats control at this point. There's only one good resume building game left on the schedule, so the only way the Cats get into the Top 3 is for one of those other teams to lose a bunch of games to lower-tier opponents. Its in the realm of possibility, but its totally out of the Cats' control.

I agree, this team is on the cusp of deserving a Top 10 ranking. But in order to get there, they are going to have to beat a Top 10 team, something they haven't come close to doing in a few years.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:34 am

FTG_1984 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:16 am
I disagree. Personally, I've always been sold on Choate & have never doubted him until after this game when he praised the play of Rovig. This is a major red flag in my mind.

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... 79252.html
“I thought Tucker operated our two-minute stuff late in the game, but that might be the only bright spot, to be honest with you,” said Choate, whose team has a bye this week.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:38 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:34 am
FTG_1984 wrote:

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... 79252.html
“I thought Tucker operated our two-minute stuff late in the game, but that might be the only bright spot, to be honest with you,” said Choate, whose team has a bye this week.
Don't let facts get in the way of a good argument.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:52 am

FTG_1984 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:22 am
Cataholic wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:44 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:10 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:05 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:56 pm
Bsmithmsu wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:41 pm
bobcatfan123 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:12 pm

What we need is an experienced QB coach. MM was a WR and never had experience coaching QBs before this year. We have QBs in Rovig and Bauman that are fundamentally lacking. Especially Bauman. Beltran is the only one that is there that has been well schooled in the basics of the position. He is fundamentally solid. He has worked with a professional QB tutor since he was 12yo. However, it appears that he is not in the picture for some reason.

Hopefully during this bye week they can get things back on track. I am sure they are re-thinking things as I type. Coach Choate has shown that he is not afraid to make changes. Looking forward to a strong finish this season.
If Beltran has had a private QB coach for 8 or so years and is not a starter wouldn’t you expect him to be looking to transfer? I know I would be if I had that on my resume. That is assuming he is a decent QB. I had not idea he was professionally coached. Maybe Choat is planning him as the long term starter after this season.
Beltran can make all the throws, he can run and scramble has good footwork and doesn’t make mistakes. Also a smart kid. Must be frustrating for him. He hasn’ been in the picture since day one he has been here. It has been a competition between Bauman and Rovig.
The most popular guy in town after a loss, is the backup QB. Amirite??
Not saying that at all. Just seems strange that he never has gotten a chance.
Bob - you regularly post about how he is a great thrower, accurate, good footwork, leader, etc. How in the world would you know this? Did you watch him in high school? Is it just rumor and conjecture? Isn’t it possible that Bauman and Rovig actually beat him in practice???

So when Troy was playing, many wanted Rovig. When Rovig was playing, many called for Bauman. When Bauman is playing again, many are now calling for Beltran? Is it possible that all these naysayers have no idea what is best? Some people were calling for a QB replacement with Murray saying he couldn’t throw.

For those wanting an immediate solution, it might not exist. The Sac State QB was in his sixth year! We have a redshirt Sophomore and two redshirt freshmen and two true freshmen. I am going to trust that the coaches are playing the best option possible. Choate has already proven that he will play the absolute best option to win.
I maintain that Bauman has looked much much better than Rovig since Day 1. If Beltran is not given a chance, and Choate refuses to let Troy or Jonsen be the primary QB, then Bauman should be at the helm at least. We are going nowhere fast with Rovig as the starter.

I want to trust the coaches in their decisions too, as obviously they see a bigger picture than us outsiders. But I've currently lost complete faith in their decision-making ability at the QB position right now.
Yes FTG, Bauman has looked better in practice since day 1. I was there just about every day at Fall Camp. Bauman looked great all during Fall camp. He no doubt looks the part and has a great arm. But, when the bullets started flying, his lack of fundamentals really showed up. There is a huge difference between practice, where a QB doesn't have to worry about getting hit, and game conditions. Once in a game, things speed way up and if you don't have the fundamentals down, like footwork and making reads, then your in trouble. This was really evident with Bauman when he got into live action. That is why Choate made the change. Rovig is a couple of steps ahead of Bauman in that regard. With regard to Beltran, he doesn't have the physical stature of Bauman and Rovig but he has the fundamentals down pat. I think if he ever gets the chance in a game it would show up quickly. However, Choate is doing what he feels is best for the team. He has to live with the results. Hopefully the remainder of the season will prove him out.

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:13 am

FTG_1984 wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:

This was a key game in Choate's career. It could very well be a long, long time before we ever see the Cats ranked #6 in the nation again. It's likely we could look back on this game as a turning point from everything I see right now.

Call me crazy, but if Choate continues to stick with Rovig as starting QB this board will be talking about how the 2nd half of this season marks the low point Choate's Bobcat career. And with all the starters we lose going into next year, there will be a lot of regret about decisions made in the 2nd half of this season.
His "praise" of Rovig was pretty limited. He also highlighted QB play as a problem. What do you want him to do-- trash the kid in the media?

He tried Bauman. His play was really, really bad. To act as though this situation is as simple as switching back again ignores what happened during Bauman's starts.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:55 am

Bauman didn’t throw any interceptions, which quarterbacks as ineffective as Rovig and Bauman have been cannot do. So I’ll give him credit there. The knock on Bauman was that he was missing open receivers.

I have no idea what the coaches will do. They need to do something to get teams out of the box. Maybe have Jonsen and Andersen pass once in awhile.

That isn’t MSU’s only problem. Injuries to key players (the bye may help that) and a knack for shooting themselves in the foot being another.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:59 am

Never let facts and data stand in the way of a good argument!

http://hornetsports.com/sports/fball/co ... y?view=bio

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:07 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:59 am
Never let facts and data stand in the way of a good argument!

http://hornetsports.com/sports/fball/co ... y?view=bio
And this would be in relation to....?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Cats15
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Cats15 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:13 am

I won $11 off a friend I brought to the game. He hadn't seen the cats play yet this year and every time Jonsen or Troy lined up at QB, I bet him a buck that the play was going to be a QB run up the middle. You can line up in 50 different formations but if the D knows that it is going to be a run up the middle, it isn't going to take a genius to stop it. We may have lost the game but I did win $11 so there's that \:D/ ](*,)

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:19 am

I thought the biggest downfall against Sac State was our o-line. I felt that this was their worst game of the season. Also, credit Sac for not allowing us to get to their QB. To me, this game was won and lost at the line of scrimmage.

Punters are people too!!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:22 am

RobertoGato wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:13 am
FTG_1984 wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:

His "praise" of Rovig was pretty limited. He also highlighted QB play as a problem. What do you want him to do-- trash the kid in the media?

He tried Bauman. His play was really, really bad. To act as though this situation is as simple as switching back again ignores what happened during Bauman's starts.
And to call for Beltran is just asking for another unknown. Our best option right now is probably taking the snaps.

One focus for the next two weeks has to be what works best to make Tucker Rovig successful. We know Tucker can hit the short pass across the middle. How about adding a pass to a RB in the flat? Or even a pass to a TE over the middle or down and out? Both can also be effective in dealing with a blitz. I also think Tucker can make the occasional deep throw to the sideline shoulder of the receiver (Kassis or McCutcheon). Miller really needs to focus on what are Tucker’s strengths. Easy throws and easy reads.

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:27 am

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:22 am
RobertoGato wrote:
FTG_1984 wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:

And to call for Beltran is just asking for another unknown. Our best option right now is probably taking the snaps.

One focus for the next two weeks has to be what works best to make Tucker Rovig successful. We know Tucker can hit the short pass across the middle. How about adding a pass to a RB in the flat? Or even a pass to a TE over the middle or down and out? Both can also be effective in dealing with a blitz. I also think Tucker can make the occasional deep throw to the sideline shoulder of the receiver (Kassis or McCutcheon). Miller really needs to focus on what are Tucker’s strengths. Easy throws and easy reads.
In Miller's defense, most of Rovig's reads are defined and don't ask a ton of his arm. Part of the reason he isn't seeing super consistent snaps is because he's missing on some gimme throws-- hitches and screens. He needs to consistently hit the short, open receivers to keep the offense on schedule. If he does that, they won't need to replace him with Jonsen/Andersen so often. He started doing that later in the game on Saturday, but it was pretty rough in the early going.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:34 am

RobertoGato wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:27 am
Cataholic wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
FTG_1984 wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:

In Miller's defense, most of Rovig's reads are defined and don't ask a ton of his arm. Part of the reason he isn't seeing super consistent snaps is because he's missing on some gimme throws-- hitches and screens. He needs to consistently hit the short, open receivers to keep the offense on schedule. If he does that, they won't need to replace him with Jonsen/Andersen so often. He started doing that later in the game on Saturday, but it was pretty rough in the early going.
I am wondering if that is part of the problem though. Our opponents surely know that Tucker is limited on his reads (We know it and Choate has said so). So they have to be developing a game plan based on his lack of reads. For example, if Tucker is looking to the right flat after the snap, I would expect the defense will commit and fly to that spot. They are not worried about a second read.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:38 am

FTG_1984 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:04 am
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:03 pm
IHATEHIPPIES wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:37 pm
We are not top 25 in the nation. Terrible coaching decisions all around.
You are an idiot.

Sac state is a top 10 team in the nation. They lost to 2 fbs schools by a combined like 15 points.
This is exactly what I tried to tell this board last week coming into this game. It seemed the majority disagreed, and delusional fans who predicted 20+ blowouts over Sac State like Montanabob, ilovethecats, 91catAlum, etc. piled on.

Other delusional fans like catsrback76, bobcats92, etc. actually believe Rovig is a good QB. Look at his play compared to our opponents QB. What is wrong with you? Not laying all the blame on him alone, but he looks like a high school QB out there.

The more astute observers on this board realize that our team is playing with very little emotion right now, especially yesterday. I maintain my claim that thiss is because they do not believe in our starting QB. When your locker room loses faith in the QB & system, the morale impact of this is huge.

I heard Choate after this game praise Rovig's play. If he's allowed to stay as starting QB, I believe this is a critical mistake & could be the beginning of the end for Choate.

We are not a Top 25 team with Rovig at QB. Ihatehippies is correct as we stand right now.
Lol. I’m a delusional fan?! :lol:

Couple things. I never predicted a blowout win. Never predicted a score. Go back and re-read it. I said I thought Sac was a good team playing good ball right now. All I said is I thought they were leaving Bozeman with a loss. If thinking the Cats would win Saturday makes me delusional then so be it!

What I did say was you didn’t have the best track record with your own predictions and bets this season. I just always find it funny when people act all knowing and criticize other people’s thoughts.

But hey my man....more power to ya. I’m still pretty confident in this squad going forward so I won’t get worked up because an anonymous guy calls me names on a message board. :-({|=

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:01 am

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:34 am
RobertoGato wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:27 am
Cataholic wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
FTG_1984 wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:

I am wondering if that is part of the problem though. Our opponents surely know that Tucker is limited on his reads (We know it and Choate has said so). So they have to be developing a game plan based on his lack of reads. For example, if Tucker is looking to the right flat after the snap, I would expect the defense will commit and fly to that spot. They are not worried about a second read.
I think you are correct. It appears they are telling Tucker to go with the first read because he is limited in this fundamental. The defense knew it and were ready. A QB at the FCS div 1 level should know how to make reads. Bauman is even less fundamentally prepared when it comes to making reads. He also lacks in footwork fundamentals. It is a problem. Jonsen and Anderson come in and the defense and everyone in the stands know it is a run play up the middle. Makes for a very predictable day for a defense. We got away with it, with weaker defenses.
Last edited by bobcatbob on Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:03 am

I might be crazy but I feel like I’ve seen steady improvement by Rovig all season. He missed a couple Saturday but I wouldn’t say it was qb play that was the biggest factor in this loss. Plenty of blame to go around.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:08 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:03 am
I might be crazy but I feel like I’ve seen steady improvement by Rovig all season. He missed a couple Saturday but I wouldn’t say it was qb play that was the biggest factor in this loss. Plenty of blame to go around.
Yes he did better this week however his fundamentals flaws are still hurting our offense. Yes, there were other factors too that hurt us just as much. I am sure they will be very focused on that during this bye week.