TV disapointmnet

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kmax
Site Admin

Re: TV disapointmnet

Post by kmax » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:26 pm

wapiti wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:01 pm
Am I the only one not able to receive SWX for the past two weeks or so in the Bozeman area??
Channels 18.1, 18.2 and 18.3 over the air.
No, it is problematic now unfortunately. See the post from JimmyEatWorld above (quoted below). Apparently they recently moved their towers and it is much harder to get a signal. If anyone has a directional antenna would definitely need to readjust for this move.
JimmyEatWorld wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:44 am
kmax wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:29 am
For those around Montana I get the frustration of Dish and Directv and their ongoing feuds with local stations but there is a simple solution for many in the state (even the bars that are missing it). $50 or so for a good digital antenna and never pay a monthly fee again and you’ll get all the swx games you want. I get for rural communities this isn’t an option but for those near the bigger cities it is a pretty nice option.
Even this has challenges, at least in the Bozeman viewing area for us cord-cutters, as ABCFoxMontana recently moved their transmitter from Bozeman Pass out to 4 Corners area. I live in the 4 Corners area and cannot get a good quality picture on ABC, Fox, or SWX. I have heard of lots of trouble others have experienced both out this way as well as in town. I hope Cowles gets this fixed soon!

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:07 pm

Just wondering....I have watched games featuring other big Sky teams on Pluto with seemingly no problems of static, stopped action, or temporary signal loss. It seems to be just Bobcat games....Am I wrong?

2024 Resume dominance

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:18 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:07 pm
Just wondering....I have watched games featuring other big Sky teams on Pluto with seemingly no problems of static, stopped action, or temporary signal loss. It seems to be just Bobcat games....Am I wrong?
You have to imagine road games on Pluto with either of the Montana schools being the visiting team put the most stress on the servers.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

JimmyEatWorld
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by JimmyEatWorld » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:21 am

Receiving OTA signal from ABC/Fox/SWX in the Bozeman area still has challenges. In visiting with the station, it appears they recognize the issue as widespread and will develop plan to correct it. Again, this all stems from the recent (2 weeks ago) movement of their transmitter from Bozeman Pass to the 4 Corners area. I know many people that are struggling with reception all over the valley. The only ones that are picking it up with any degree of clarity have external directional antennas so they are picking it up from Butte. Hopefully this gets fixed soon!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:02 am

So with the constant nonsense with Directv I was thinking about just getting an antenna to get my local channels. Tired of missing games every Saturday and Sunday.

I’ve never bought an antenna. Don’t even know where to go. Any suggestions?!

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:23 am

YouTube tv kids. Do the free trial. It includes the local channels. $50/month. I’ve watched the recent cats games and will watch Griz tonight. Free cloud based DVR w unlimited recording as well.

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:24 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:02 am
So with the constant nonsense with Directv I was thinking about just getting an antenna to get my local channels. Tired of missing games every Saturday and Sunday.

Amazon.

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:08 am

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:24 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:02 am

Amazon.
Got mine at BestBuy..
Pretty sure Amazon or even wally world would have the same.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/antennas-d ... Id=5894080

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

JimmyEatWorld
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by JimmyEatWorld » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:11 am

Update 10/22 - Sam, engineer for ABCFoxMontana has stated that they are aware of signal loss issues with respect to OTA TV for local Fox, ABC, and SWX in the Bozeman market; and have applied with FCC to increase power. He is hoping to have corrected w/in 30 days. Hopefully this will resolve all the issues being experienced around the valley with OTA signal clarity.

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:49 am

JimmyEatWorld wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:11 am
Update 10/22 - Sam, engineer for ABCFoxMontana has stated that they are aware of signal loss issues with respect to OTA TV for local Fox, ABC, and SWX in the Bozeman market; and have applied with FCC to increase power. He is hoping to have corrected w/in 30 days. Hopefully this will resolve all the issues being experienced around the valley with OTA signal clarity.
Good to hear.
I have moved my antenna around and still no signal for me. I live on the south side of the valley.

There is a reason tv towers should put on high hills/mountain tops and NOT down by the river.

JimmyEatWorld
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by JimmyEatWorld » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:30 am

wapiti wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:49 am
JimmyEatWorld wrote:
Good to hear.
I have moved my antenna around and still no signal for me. I live on the south side of the valley.

There is a reason tv towers should put on high hills/mountain tops and NOT down by the river.
It actually was placed on High Flat to the SW of 4 Corners area (look up on the ridge and you can see many towers up there). So those of us out in the 4 Corners area should be drowning in their signal - however they are experiencing some sort of signal loss with the tower itself. Hopefully this gets corrected soon.

Cats15

Post by Cats15 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:26 am

JimmyEatWorld wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:30 am
wapiti wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:49 am
JimmyEatWorld wrote:
Good to hear.

It actually was placed on High Flat to the SW of 4 Corners area (look up on the ridge and you can see many towers up there). So those of us out in the 4 Corners area should be drowning in their signal - however they are experiencing some sort of signal loss with the tower itself. Hopefully this gets corrected soon.

I live in town and actually am able to pick up these channels with a cheap $10 HD Antenna I got of off Amazon. However, watching the World Series last night, the signal wasn't great. It may have been the storm.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:50 am

Grizaddict wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:23 am
YouTube tv kids. Do the free trial. It includes the local channels. $50/month. I’ve watched the recent cats games and will watch Griz tonight. Free cloud based DVR w unlimited recording as well.
Would this work internationally?

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:46 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:50 am
Grizaddict wrote:
No, as a matter of fact it won’t even work for anyone that isn’t physically in the viewing area of a channel showing those games. I can use this (or others like sling or Hulu live) and watch games from here but if I were traveling outside the state I would get local Fox, NBC, CBS, ABC channels for whatever location I was in. These over the top options are just streaming (usually cheaper) alternatives to cable/dish plans.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:59 am

kmax wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:46 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
No, as a matter of fact it won’t even work for anyone that isn’t physically in the viewing area of a channel showing those games. I can use this (or others like sling or Hulu live) and watch games from here but if I were traveling outside the state I would get local Fox, NBC, CBS, ABC channels for whatever location I was in. These over the top options are just streaming (usually cheaper) alternatives to cable/dish plans.
Got it! And thanks, I'll just keep working my usual system of ESPN, Pluto and MSUBOBCATS to get my fix.

Lovethecats75
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Lovethecats75 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:19 pm

Just sent all the Direct TV crap back to them today, 26 years is a loyal customer and I'm done. Moved over to YouTube TV And so far could not be happier.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:20 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:59 am
kmax wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
Got it! And thanks, I'll just keep working my usual system of ESPN, Pluto and MSUBOBCATS to get my fix.
If you had really good internet speed on both ends, you could set up a remote desktop with a relative in MT and watch the games that way... or a slingbox on someone's cable, if they are even still made anymore.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:01 pm

Lovethecats75 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:19 pm
Just sent all the Direct TV crap back to them today, 26 years is a loyal customer and I'm done. Moved over to YouTube TV And so far could not be happier.
Best move ever. I did exact same thing. Having the local channels is great and has allowed me to watch a lot more football, including NFL, Cats, Griz, you name it. I’ve had no issues with buffering and the cloud-based DVR kicks ass

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:05 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
kmax wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
Kmax i’m not sure that is correct. When I set mine up it had me punch in the ZIP Code for my local viewing area, which then attached me to the Butte-Bozeman local channels. So technically if a subscriber just punched in a Bozeman ZIP Code I think that’s what local channels they would get regardless of where they are located. It would be worth doing the free trial and trying it.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:18 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:05 pm
catsrback76 wrote:
kmax wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
Kmax i’m not sure that is correct. When I set mine up it had me punch in the ZIP Code for my local viewing area, which then attached me to the Butte-Bozeman local channels. So technically if a subscriber just punched in a Bozeman ZIP Code I think that’s what local channels they would get regardless of where they are located. It would be worth doing the free trial and trying it.
Sadly, it is correct. Trust me it verifies location. I was in Seattle at the time of one of our games and tried pulling it up and got the local Seattle locals instead of my Bozeman locals.