TV disapointmnet

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: TV disapointmnet

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:37 am

Steve Steverson wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:42 pm
Pluto is so glitchy it’s nearly unwatchable.
Agreed...almost couldn't watch Pluto's feed...I've emailed Jon Kasper at Big Sky office asking that they reconsider the Pluto contract....

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:29 am

For those around Montana I get the frustration of Dish and Directv and their ongoing feuds with local stations but there is a simple solution for many in the state (even the bars that are missing it). $50 or so for a good digital antenna and never pay a monthly fee again and you’ll get all the swx games you want. I get for rural communities this isn’t an option but for those near the bigger cities it is a pretty nice option.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

DrizztGar74_Cat
New Recruit

Post by DrizztGar74_Cat » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:13 am

I tried to watch the Cal Poly game (10/05/19) on both Pluto and from the SWX website, neither options were that great. I have fiber to my house and good internet speeds 70/70 up/down, so not a user speed thing at all. I did also try using an airTV solution and an indoor digital antenna, but stormy weather busted that one up, grr. I am considering purchasing a good external digital antenna, any suggestions on a good one would be appreciated, I'm currently eyeballing this one:

When watching using Pluto the commentators were obviously biased in one direction (Cal Poly), which bugged me, but is my own personal bias, at least the Cat commentators are good about talking up the apposing team as well. Pluto would cut in and out and was constantly 5-10 minutes behind actual game play, so when it cut out and I switched to SWX via the web, I missed chunks of the game. Or if I read the game day thread I would know what was happening before it did, neat if I want to freak out my kids by having good predictions, but frustrating if I would rather watch the plays.

When watching using SWX, whenever it cut to commercial it wouldn't come back, so I would have to refresh the page and watch the silly intro each time, but it was up to me to kind of judge when the commercial break was over. That and the entire second half didn't air, tad frustrating.

Needless to say, I was able to watch at least 70% of the game, but it wasn't all that fun, not just the game play, but all the bouncing around to actually get to watch some of it. And sorry for the longish post, just kinda venting as I don't think it will change, but at least it's not on Root where cord cutters can't even watch the games.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:22 pm

Turned on my TV today to watch the replay that I’d recorded on HULU. The broadcast recording STARTED on the first play of the FOURTH QUARTER!!!!????

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:55 pm

My streaming is roughly 90 down/12 up... Pluto looked like a Picasso pastel with intermittent audio and too much spolling. The audio feed from 100.7 was probably 3 minutes ahead...

And a question here: during the game posters were commenting possibly a minute or so before the Pluto feed showed a play???

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:44 pm

RickRund wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:55 pm
My streaming is roughly 90 down/12 up... Pluto looked like a Picasso pastel with intermittent audio and too much spolling. The audio feed from 100.7 was probably 3 minutes ahead...

And a question here: during the game posters were commenting possibly a minute or so before the Pluto feed showed a play???
Same problem with Pluto on my TV. Best way I have found around it was to watch on my Android phone and cast it to my TV. That seems to reduce the Picasso. Funny thing is the Android phone is on the same Wi-Fi as the TV. Go figure

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:06 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:44 pm
RickRund wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:55 pm

Same problem with Pluto on my TV. Best way I have found around it was to watch on my Android phone and cast it to my TV. That seems to reduce the Picasso. Funny thing is the Android phone is on the same Wi-Fi as the TV. Go figure
I have a Stylo 4 phone. Tried to mirror to our lg 4k uhd. The phone must not be compatible...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:56 am

If you can, watching on Watch Big Sky instead of Pluto I find it is typically less laggy, and always closer to real time. Pluto is always very delayed.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:14 am

Apologize if already mentioned:

Been with DirecTV for 15 yrs. just dumped them after doing the YouTube TV free trial. If you have good internet and a smart tv this is by far the way to go. Has a ton channels, all the ESPN and Fox, and all the locals! You also get a cloud based DVR and no limit on recording. It actually kicks ass. All for $50/month.

Unfortunately it does not have Root, but I go to all of the home games anyway and that’s pretty much the programs that Root is playing for the rest of the year outside of Cat-Griz, which I also will be in attending so I won’t miss anything.

DirecTV has not had local stations for about a month now and I was able to record and watch the Cats game through this YouTube TV which does have locals. Let me know if you have any questions

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:21 am

Grizaddict wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:14 am

Been with DirecTV for 15 yrs. just dumped them after doing the YouTube TV free trial. If you have good internet and a smart tv this is by far the way to go. Has a ton channels, all the ESPN and Fox, and all the locals! You also get a cloud based DVR and no limit on recording. It actually kicks ass. All for $50/month.

Unfortunately it does not have Root, but I go to all of the home games anyway and that’s pretty much the programs that Root is playing for the rest of the year outside of Cat-Griz, which I also will be in attending so I won’t miss anything.

DirecTV has not had local stations for about a month now and I was able to record and watch the Cats game through this YouTube TV which does have locals. Let me know if you have any questions
Are you able to get out-of-market NFL games? Really the only reason I've stuck with Direct for so long is the NFL ticket. But if I had a way to still get my Sunday football fix I'd dump them.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:33 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:21 am
Grizaddict wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:14 am

Are you able to get out-of-market NFL games? Really the only reason I've stuck with Direct for so long is the NFL ticket. But if I had a way to still get my Sunday football fix I'd dump them.
From my knowledge, it will stream whatever the local channel is playing live. I saw the Seahawks and Rams on Thursday night I know there was a Packers game on there yesterday and like I said it will carry all three ESPN stations as well as ESPNU so any football played there. Oh and there’s an SEC network.

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/?gclsrc= ... wE#panel-0

You can click on this link and punch in your ZIP Code for the channel line up

JimmyEatWorld
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by JimmyEatWorld » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:44 am

kmax wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:29 am
For those around Montana I get the frustration of Dish and Directv and their ongoing feuds with local stations but there is a simple solution for many in the state (even the bars that are missing it). $50 or so for a good digital antenna and never pay a monthly fee again and you’ll get all the swx games you want. I get for rural communities this isn’t an option but for those near the bigger cities it is a pretty nice option.
Even this has challenges, at least in the Bozeman viewing area for us cord-cutters, as ABCFoxMontana recently moved their transmitter from Bozeman Pass out to 4 Corners area. I live in the 4 Corners area and cannot get a good quality picture on ABC, Fox, or SWX. I have heard of lots of trouble others have experienced both out this way as well as in town. I hope Cowles gets this fixed soon!

PHAT CAT

Post by PHAT CAT » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:57 pm

JimmyEatWorld wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:44 am
kmax wrote:
Even this has challenges, at least in the Bozeman viewing area for us cord-cutters, as ABCFoxMontana recently moved their transmitter from Bozeman Pass out to 4 Corners area. I live in the 4 Corners area and cannot get a good quality picture on ABC, Fox, or SWX. I have heard of lots of trouble others have experienced both out this way as well as in town. I hope Cowles gets this fixed soon!
Wow, now I know why I can't pick up any of those channels out of the air. Thanks for the info. Thanks for nothing Directv and ABCFOX Montana.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:29 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:57 pm
JimmyEatWorld wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:44 am
kmax wrote:
Wow, now I know why I can't pick up any of those channels out of the air. Thanks for the info. Thanks for nothing Directv and ABCFOX Montana.
I’m telling you man do the YouTube TV free trial, you won’t be disappointed. You will get the locals that have been missing and a lot of other great stuff

PHAT CAT

Post by PHAT CAT » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:27 pm

I'll remember that GA. Thanks

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:17 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:17 am
catgrad05 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:01 am
94VegasCat wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:29 am
This has been the WORST tv year as far as watching Bobcat football that I can recall. We switched to streaming tv last spring. Being able to watch/record/DVR the games was my biggest worry when we left DirectTV.

ESPN+ was a facking joke at best.

PlutoTV is also a facking joke!

We got Hulu and Sling. Felt pretty good about that until I tried viewing the NAU game that I’d scheduled to record. Coverage started with 11:00 min to go in the 2nd Q and ended with 3 min or so in the 4th Q.

Not sure what the solution is, but it’s a hot mess!!
I've heard the same type of feedback from others as well. There is not a good way to view Bobcat football if you don't have antenna reception and or if you can not watch it in real time. Its been a very frustrating year for following the Cats
We ditched direct Tv for Hulu live when we saw the price was half as much. I’ve REALLY enjoyed it and have got every game except for the Western Illinois ESPN+ debacle. I would agree that their dvr/recording option leaves a lot to be desired. Small amount of memory and half the time it only records half the game and the other times you can’t watch the recorded version from the beginning until the game is over. I started recording the program before the cat game along with our game to ensure I get the whole game. But if you are able to watch live than Hulu live is perfect! I believe they still have a week free trial for new users too.
@RobertCats What channel on Hulu Live carries the ‘Cat games? Would this work out of Montana? We will be moving permanently to what has been our winter home in just a few weeks. Would love to have a good option to watch. Thanks!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:46 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:17 pm
RobertCats wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:
94VegasCat wrote:
This has been the WORST tv year as far as watching Bobcat football that I can recall. We switched to streaming tv last spring. Being able to watch/record/DVR the games was my biggest worry when we left DirectTV.

We got Hulu and Sling. Felt pretty good about that until I tried viewing the NAU game that I’d scheduled to record. Coverage started with 11:00 min to go in the 2nd Q and ended with 3 min or so in the 4th Q.

I've heard the same type of feedback from others as well. There is not a good way to view Bobcat football if you don't have antenna reception and or if you can not watch it in real time. Its been a very frustrating year for following the Cats
We ditched direct Tv for Hulu live when we saw the price was half as much. I’ve REALLY enjoyed it and have got every game except for the Western Illinois ESPN+ debacle. I would agree that their dvr/recording option leaves a lot to be desired. Small amount of memory and half the time it only records half the game and the other times you can’t watch the recorded version from the beginning until the game is over. I started recording the program before the cat game along with our game to ensure I get the whole game. But if you are able to watch live than Hulu live is perfect! I believe they still have a week free trial for new users too.
@RobertCats What channel on Hulu Live carries the ‘Cat games? Would this work out of Montana? We will be moving permanently to what has been our winter home in just a few weeks. Would love to have a good option to watch. Thanks!
I'm guessing Hulu picks up local channels, one being SWX, so I really doubt it would work out of SWX area (which is like MT, northern ID, western WA).

There is no way to get SWX outside of their coverage area. You'll need to watch the Cats on PlutoTV or Watchbigsky.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:16 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:46 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:17 pm
RobertCats wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:
94VegasCat wrote:

I'm guessing Hulu picks up local channels, one being SWX, so I really doubt it would work out of SWX area (which is like MT, northern ID, western WA).

There is no way to get SWX outside of their coverage area. You'll need to watch the Cats on PlutoTV or Watchbigsky.
Correct, Hulu just picks up the local channels. I believe my fox is missoula, CBS is Great Falls and ABC is Butte.

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:01 pm

Am I the only one not able to receive SWX for the past two weeks or so in the Bozeman area??
Channels 18.1, 18.2 and 18.3 over the air.

Cats15

Post by Cats15 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:09 pm

wapiti wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:01 pm
Am I the only one not able to receive SWX for the past two weeks or so in the Bozeman area??
Channels 18.1, 18.2 and 18.3 over the air.
I have 3 TV's, 2 upstairs and one in the living room, all with an HD antenna. After doing an auto scan of channels on all three I picked those channels back up on 2 our of the 3 TV's. I have no idea why the one upstairs is still not picking those channels up. :-s