TV disapointmnet

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catgrad05
Member # Retired

TV disapointmnet

Post by catgrad05 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:58 am

I have been so frustrated with the TV coverage availability this year of the Cats. I have been a Directv Subscriber for decades and this ongoing dispute between them and SWX is a bunch of BS. I sure hope the university takes this into consideration and no longer uses SWX to supply their games. I take off three to four home games a year to see the Cats live and other than that I work on Saturdays. Being able to watch the Cats after work on my DVR has allowed me to see how the team does every year has been great. So far I have only been able to see the team twice this year.

The Big Meowski
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: TV disapointmnet

Post by The Big Meowski » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:06 am

catgrad05 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:58 am
I have been so frustrated with the TV coverage availability this year of the Cats. I have been a Directv Subscriber for decades and this ongoing dispute between them and SWX is a bunch of BS. I sure hope the university takes this into consideration and no longer uses SWX to supply their games. I take off three to four home games a year to see the Cats live and other than that I work on Saturdays. Being able to watch the Cats after work on my DVR has allowed me to see how the team does every year has been great. So far I have only been able to see the team twice this year.
Man, am I with you. I switched to DirectTV this year to get the NFL Sunday ticket. Boy did I make a mistake. No ABC or Fox. They went away about 2 weeks after my switch. I’m hearing rumors of NBC going away soon.

Brian Demarais
Sec. 105
Row 2
Seat 1

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:09 am

catgrad05 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:58 am
I share your disappointment with DirecTv, and a few weeks ago, dumped them after 20+ years. The only way to get them to resolve their disputes with Altitude and the local channels is to pull your money out. Otherwise they'll continue business as usual.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:25 am

I don't think I'd blame SWX in this situation.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:29 am

This has been the WORST tv year as far as watching Bobcat football that I can recall. We switched to streaming tv last spring. Being able to watch/record/DVR the games was my biggest worry when we left DirectTV.

ESPN+ was a facking joke at best.

PlutoTV is also a facking joke!

We got Hulu and Sling. Felt pretty good about that until I tried viewing the NAU game that I’d scheduled to record. Coverage started with 11:00 min to go in the 2nd Q and ended with 3 min or so in the 4th Q.

Not sure what the solution is, but it’s a hot mess!!

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:54 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:25 am
I don't think I'd blame SWX in this situation.
I wouldn't either, but I do think it would benefit both them and the viewers outside of their broadcast area if they offered tge games for pay in stream form.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:01 am

94VegasCat wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:29 am
This has been the WORST tv year as far as watching Bobcat football that I can recall. We switched to streaming tv last spring. Being able to watch/record/DVR the games was my biggest worry when we left DirectTV.

We got Hulu and Sling. Felt pretty good about that until I tried viewing the NAU game that I’d scheduled to record. Coverage started with 11:00 min to go in the 2nd Q and ended with 3 min or so in the 4th Q.

I've heard the same type of feedback from others as well. There is not a good way to view Bobcat football if you don't have antenna reception and or if you can not watch it in real time. Its been a very frustrating year for following the Cats

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:01 am

I used to be in the TV business and the disputes between the local stations really sucks on the smaller companies. The satellites and cable companies used to (10+ years ago) compensate the local companies to carry their stations. That and now the locals have to pay very significantly to have their stations carried. And the more streaming that people switch to results in lost subscription revenue for the big boys. So now they want to charge affiliates even more to have the privilege of having their stations carried. Now these disputes are going on longer and more frequently with everyone’s revenues getting squeezed. The poor folks that work for places like SWX have to bear the brunt of the wrath when they have absolutely no control over anything.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:17 am

catgrad05 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:01 am
94VegasCat wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:29 am

I've heard the same type of feedback from others as well. There is not a good way to view Bobcat football if you don't have antenna reception and or if you can not watch it in real time. Its been a very frustrating year for following the Cats
We ditched direct Tv for Hulu live when we saw the price was half as much. I’ve REALLY enjoyed it and have got every game except for the Western Illinois ESPN+ debacle. I would agree that their dvr/recording option leaves a lot to be desired. Small amount of memory and half the time it only records half the game and the other times you can’t watch the recorded version from the beginning until the game is over. I started recording the program before the cat game along with our game to ensure I get the whole game. But if you are able to watch live than Hulu live is perfect! I believe they still have a week free trial for new users too.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:18 am

I’m not sure who’s to blame and I’m not peeved at anyone in particular. Just flat out pissed that we don’t get the coverage we used to get.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:02 pm

94VegasCat wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:18 am
I’m not sure who’s to blame and I’m not peeved at anyone in particular. Just flat out pissed that we don’t get the coverage we used to get.
This

And I understand it is nothing that anyone that you would talk to at SWX can do about it and why I have not complained to them directly. I just hope this goes into the decision of having them get the rights to the games. If they still want broadcast rights that's fine and they will make advertising money during the commercials. I just hope MSU negotiates differently and has a streaming option that is viable and can be watched as a re run or on demand. It sucks being a season ticket holder and not be able to see the games that you cant attend

Clinton T

Post by Clinton T » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:12 pm

I've been able to watch and DVR every game this year (minus the ESPN+ debacle) on YouTube TV. Unlimited recording, access on any device that has internet, and easy to set up season-long recordings for any team (just like DirecTV). Not sure how this would work in other Montana markets, but here in Great Falls it works great.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:29 pm

catgrad05 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:02 pm
94VegasCat wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:18 am
This

And I understand it is nothing that anyone that you would talk to at SWX can do about it and why I have not complained to them directly. I just hope this goes into the decision of having them get the rights to the games. If they still want broadcast rights that's fine and they will make advertising money during the commercials. I just hope MSU negotiates differently and has a streaming option that is viable and can be watched as a re run or on demand. It sucks being a season ticket holder and not be able to see the games that you cant attend
Losing SWX coverage would be a huge setback to tens of thousands of in state Bobcat fans. Their coverage easily provides the greatest access to the most viewers in the state. The problem really lies in the satellite networks not wanting to pay local channels their fees. An easy solution would seem to be increase the local access fee that satellite subscribers pay for a $1 or $2 more per month. It would seem that people interested in local coverage could opt out if they don’t want the access.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:34 pm

On another note, doesn't MSU have the ability to create their own platform? We have an audio visual curriculum and a business department to sell advertising. With the miracle of internet, you don’t need huge dollars to create a platform. I will bet that the expertise is on campus to create an app as well. For the games, they could just allow SWX to do the game and carry it on the MSU platform. Like I mentioned before, Montana Tech has a you tube channel that allows their fan base to watch games regardless of where you reside.

GavinDonos

Post by GavinDonos » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:44 pm

Who is going to produce the games if MSU “ditches” SWX? Equipment, on-air talent, production crew... all of that stuff requires know-how and $$$. Otherwise we get a camcorder feed from the top of the press box with the radio broadcast dubbed in, like the rest of the schools in the Big Sky. I don’t think there are a lot of local production companies lining up for the gig. I’m thankful for SWX and the service they provide. This isn’t their fault, or MSUs.

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:56 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:34 pm
On another note, doesn't MSU have the ability to create their own platform? We have an audio visual curriculum and a business department to sell advertising. With the miracle of internet, you don’t need huge dollars to create a platform. I will bet that the expertise is on campus to create an app as well. For the games, they could just allow SWX to do the game and carry it on the MSU platform. Like I mentioned before, Montana Tech has a you tube channel that allows their fan base to watch games regardless of where you reside.
This would solve a lot of issues and make it extremely easy for most. But I'm sure there is some contract in place w/Big Sky Conference, the NCAA, and MSU that wouldn't allow something so simple. But at the same note, no entity or person would be profiting from this, call it a Non-Profit.

Lovethecats75

Post by Lovethecats75 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:48 pm

Just ditched Direct TV as well. Going with UTube TV for now get all the local channels here in Bozeman.

Heidi-jean
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Heidi-jean » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:45 pm

Super frustrated with Cowles Media/Direct TV....The Griz game is on 4 channels right now yet we can't get any CAT games...hmmm.

4thecats
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by 4thecats » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:53 pm

Will the game be on pluto?

tdub

Post by tdub » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:54 pm

4thecats wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:53 pm
Will the game be on pluto?
Yep

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable