Second scrimmage thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

User avatar
FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 127
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:40 pm
Location: Montana Territory

Re: Second scrimmage thread

Post by FTG_1984 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:01 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:24 pm
LB alignment with what looks like the 1st-team defense: Andersen, Jobman and Askelson with Sterk at Buck
Interesting. Was Josh Hill running with the 2s then? Hard to believe Hill wouldn't be with the 1s.



User avatar
tdub
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1292
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:41 pm
Location: Kalispell

Re: Second scrimmage thread

Post by tdub » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:05 pm

FTG_1984 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:01 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:24 pm
LB alignment with what looks like the 1st-team defense: Andersen, Jobman and Askelson with Sterk at Buck
Interesting. Was Josh Hill running with the 2s then? Hard to believe Hill wouldn't be with the 1s.
Hill’s practice reps are being limited to do all that can be done to keep him healthy for the season.


Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

110010110
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:19 pm

Re: Second scrimmage thread

Post by 110010110 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:08 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:42 pm
Rachac: Eric Zambrano picks off Bauman on sideline pass intended for Kassis

Bauman shows off his gun but the ball is zipped too far in front of Travis Jonsen, who would have been gone had he been able to corral it
The interception play was suppose to be a free play for the offense but the refs didn't throw the flag (probably because it's a scrimmage). The nose tackle was offside by about two and a half feet. Bauman saw the offside and tried to force the pass into a pretty small window that I'm not sure he would have if it wasn't for the free play.



User avatar
RobertoGato
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:46 am

Re: Second scrimmage thread

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:12 pm

110010110 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:08 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:42 pm
Rachac: Eric Zambrano picks off Bauman on sideline pass intended for Kassis

Bauman shows off his gun but the ball is zipped too far in front of Travis Jonsen, who would have been gone had he been able to corral it
The interception play was suppose to be a free play for the offense but the refs didn't throw the flag (probably because it's a scrimmage). The nose tackle was offside by about two and a half feet. Bauman saw the offside and tried to force the pass into a pretty small window that I'm not sure he would have if it wasn't for the free play.
I can confirm this. Bauman was taking a shot because it should have been a free play.



BleedingBLue
Member # Retired
Posts: 2236
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:00 pm

Re: Second scrimmage thread

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:15 pm

Must have been using BSC refs :D



Norsky19
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:24 am

Re: Second scrimmage thread

Post by Norsky19 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:19 pm

John Knight was a pleasant surprise......



User avatar
RobertoGato
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:46 am

Re: Second scrimmage thread

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:28 pm

Bauman looked pretty good tonight. Confident.

Other than the pick on the offsides play, I only saw one bad ball-- an overthrow to Jonsen.

He threw a great pass from around midfield. Opposite hash to the corner of the endzone. Jonsen dropped it.

He also threw a screen in the flat that was right on the money to Jones, but dropped. He had a defender in his lane, but he's so dang tall he just put it right over him.

Jonsen and Andersen both took snaps. The running game was really strong and diverse. I don't think Troy takes the job back, but between him and Jonsen I bet they account for 30-40% of the snaps.

I felt bad for Rovig. Guys were not playing for him. Lots of drops. Suspect effort on some routes. He himself looked fine.



User avatar
Montanabob
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1055
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:29 pm
Location: Two Dot

Re: Second scrimmage thread

Post by Montanabob » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:48 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:15 pm
Must have been using BSC refs :D
Nope. Pac 12


MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1504
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:08 pm
Contact:

Re: Second scrimmage thread

Post by DriscollCat » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:10 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:12 pm
110010110 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:08 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:42 pm
Rachac: Eric Zambrano picks off Bauman on sideline pass intended for Kassis

Bauman shows off his gun but the ball is zipped too far in front of Travis Jonsen, who would have been gone had he been able to corral it
The interception play was suppose to be a free play for the offense but the refs didn't throw the flag (probably because it's a scrimmage). The nose tackle was offside by about two and a half feet. Bauman saw the offside and tried to force the pass into a pretty small window that I'm not sure he would have if it wasn't for the free play.
I can confirm this. Bauman was taking a shot because it should have been a free play.
Glad to hear this because I did not feel like the pass was quite where it needed to be. Tight window, but wasn't quite 50/50 - didn't give the receiver the chance he needed.



DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1504
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:08 pm
Contact:

Re: Second scrimmage thread

Post by DriscollCat » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:12 pm

Here is some (limited) video from the scrimmage along with the post scrimmage press conference. Unfortunately, they were in a major hurry to get the thing started and I wasn't able to get my good audio setup. Please bear with me.




TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 12839
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Second scrimmage thread

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:13 pm

Andersen will always look better (more comfortable) at qb. He’ll also look that way at linebacker, safety, running back, popcorn salesman, radio announcer and head coach.

Bauman looked good based on what I was told and he has a more powerful arm than anyone. Even, unbelievably, Andersen.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7957
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:55 pm
Location: Big Sky Country
Contact:

Re: Second scrimmage thread

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:18 pm

FTG_1984 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:01 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:24 pm
LB alignment with what looks like the 1st-team defense: Andersen, Jobman and Askelson with Sterk at Buck
Interesting. Was Josh Hill running with the 2s then? Hard to believe Hill wouldn't be with the 1s.
I do not believe Josh Hill played tonight.


TWITTER:@Skylinesportsmt
FACEBOOK
https://www.facebook.com/skylinesportsmt1
BIG SKY BREAKDOWN ON ITUNES
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/big ... 1131856462
SUBSCRIBE TO SKYLINE SPORTS
https://skylinesportsmt.com/subscriptions/

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7957
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:55 pm
Location: Big Sky Country
Contact:

Re: Second scrimmage thread

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:18 pm



TWITTER:@Skylinesportsmt
FACEBOOK
https://www.facebook.com/skylinesportsmt1
BIG SKY BREAKDOWN ON ITUNES
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/big ... 1131856462
SUBSCRIBE TO SKYLINE SPORTS
https://skylinesportsmt.com/subscriptions/

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 12839
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Second scrimmage thread

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:38 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:18 pm
Pretty much says it all right there.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

User avatar
catsrback76
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6988
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:18 am
Location: 2300 meters up in Ethiopia!

Re: Second scrimmage thread

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:18 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:38 pm
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:18 pm
Pretty much says it all right there.
Coach is a happy man right now! :D



TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 12839
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Second scrimmage thread

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:23 am

FTG_1984 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:58 pm
Counter Assault wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:30 pm
Based upon what I saw, Troy Andersen is the best QB we have to put on the field.
This isn't surprising. This will likely become a recurring theme that becomes obvious to all as the season progresses. I believe at some point we'll see TA back at the helm. Likely by Week 5.
He’ll be at the helm several times per game.

Andersen is one of the three best quarterbacks in the Big Sky. He’s the best quarterback, tight end, running back, receiver, linebacker and safety on the team. He’s also a top three defensive end at MSU. Not sure about cornerback. Probably wouldn’t play much at DT or OL.

At a minimum he’ll play three of those positions this year. Probably each game.

It’s unlikely that he becomes the full time starting quarterback simply because MSU will be able to win games without him there and the further into the season MSU goes, the better Bauman will get.

Bauman probably won’t become as effective as Andersen at quarterback, but as long as the defense is shutting opponents down he’ll remain there. Bauman would have to be atrocious to get replaced. In two scrimmages his numbers have been borderline just that, but he’s playing against at least the second best defense he’ll see this year not counting postseason games.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

bpcats20
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 286
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:13 am

Re: Second scrimmage thread

Post by bpcats20 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:40 am

Big question of the season-

Since we will have a young redshirt freshman Qb starting, will the Choate/Miller have enough patience to let Bauman develop or knowing that we have roster built to win now cave under the pressure?



Cataholic
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1901
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Second scrimmage thread

Post by Cataholic » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:49 am

bpcats20 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:40 am
Big question of the season-

Since we will have a young redshirt freshman Qb starting, will the Choate/Miller have enough patience to let Bauman develop or knowing that we have roster built to win now cave under the pressure?
Great question. Bauman has all the physical tools for success. If he had another year or two of experience, this team is a legit playoff semi-final contender. My guess is that Miller will call plays that open up the defense for the running game, but are well within Bauman’s capabilities. Don’t put Bauman in a position to fail, just manage the game with short passes and an occasional over the top pass to the corners. Let our Ifanse, our stacked backfield and massive line dominate games on the ground. If we do this, I think they stick with Bauman all season.



User avatar
wbtfg
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9268
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:52 pm

Re: Second scrimmage thread

Post by wbtfg » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:00 am

bpcats20 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:40 am
Big question of the season-

Since we will have a young redshirt freshman Qb starting, will the Choate/Miller have enough patience to let Bauman develop or knowing that we have roster built to win now cave under the pressure?
Sorry, I’m not tracking. Cave under what pressure?



TomCat88
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 12839
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am
Location: An endless run of moguls

Re: Second scrimmage thread

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:05 am

bpcats20 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:40 am
Big question of the season-

Since we will have a young redshirt freshman Qb starting, will the Choate/Miller have enough patience to let Bauman develop or knowing that we have roster built to win now cave under the pressure?
It depends on the record and Bauman’s role in how it got that way. No one sticks with an ineffective quarterback that is causing a team to lose. MSU’s defense is good, but if the quarterback is constantly putting them in bad position, then the defense is going to give points.

If MSU is 0-3 or 2-3/0-1 and Bauman (or any quarterback) is the cause, then you need to make a change. Bauman needs to manage the game and the coaches need to manage Bauman.

Yesterday’s practice, I’m told, was more like an NFL preseason game where the starters on both sides played one series. Then the rest of the time was a mixture of combinations. The fact that the 1 offense smoked the 1 defense sans Andersen could be a positive, but Bauman’s overall numbers could be a negative.

The main thing about Bauman right now is how he’s carrying himself and commanding the team. He needs to get the TT game under his belt, so the coaches can do whatever tweaking they need to do.


MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

Post Reply