Uniforms 2019

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Uniforms 2019

Post by catscat » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:24 am

John K wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:19 am
catscat wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:09 am
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:35 pm
There is no "I" in team. Leave the names to the self infatuated gizz program.
The "gizz" program has not had names on their uniforms for years. So the switch to no names on ours was a switch to match the "gizz." It seems you are trying to say you want to be different from them while advocating being the same.
UM just put the names on again last year, when BH came back.
Thanks. Just goes to show how little attention I pay to what they do. I do know that they didn't have them when we took ours off.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:26 am

After looking it up I did not see Alabama on the list that do not use names. I did see Penn St., USC and Notre Dame. Like I said I don't care either way. I usually look at the number and then find it in the program.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:39 am

catscat wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:24 am
John K wrote:
catscat wrote:
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
The "gizz" program has not had names on their uniforms for years. So the switch to no names on ours was a switch to match the "gizz." It seems you are trying to say you want to be different from them while advocating being the same.
Thanks. Just goes to show how little attention I pay to what they do. I do know that they didn't have them when we took ours off.
That's correct. They took the names off a few years before we did. I think Choate kept them on his first year, and then removed them for his 2nd year in 2017. We added names for the first time in Kramer's first year in 2000, and they added them a few years earlier. So I know it would look like we're following their lead for the 3rd time, if we added them back again now, but honestly I couldn't care less if UM fans think we're copying them. I hope that we never make any decisions based upon doing what they do, or not doing what they do. If we keep beating them in November, and have another successful season this fall, no one on either side should give two s***s about us copying them. I do like that we've copied them in one way. They beat us three straight times from 2013-2015...now we've beaten them three straight times from 2016-2018. I hope we copy them in another way, and extend the streak to 16 games. Better yet, let's make it 17, and then we can't be accused of copying them. :lol:

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:23 am

I sure like names on the uniforms when I re-watch videos like this one:

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:48 am

John K wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:39 am
catscat wrote:
John K wrote:
catscat wrote:
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
That's correct. They took the names off a few years before we did. I think Choate kept them on his first year, and then removed them for his 2nd year in 2017. We added names for the first time in Kramer's first year in 2000, and they added them a few years earlier. So I know it would look like we're following their lead for the 3rd time, if we added them back again now, but honestly I couldn't care less if UM fans think we're copying them. I hope that we never make any decisions based upon doing what they do, or not doing what they do. If we keep beating them in November, and have another successful season this fall, no one on either side should give two s***s about us copying them. I do like that we've copied them in one way. They beat us three straight times from 2013-2015...now we've beaten them three straight times from 2016-2018. I hope we copy them in another way, and extend the streak to 16 games. Better yet, let's make it 17, and then we can't be accused of copying them. :lol:
If UM thinks MSU is copying them by using names on jerseys or not, it just shows their delusion that they are trendsetters. They took the names off the jerseys after the movie "Miracle" came out and most of the world was introduced to the now-cliche concept that the name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back. The next season, the Grizzlies didn't have names on the backs of the jerseys and they acted like they invented the idea. Kind of like having a legacy number or saying "We are Montana". If anything, they should be able to brag "we ripped off that idea first!".

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:32 am

Rich K wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:23 am
That's actually a very good point, and a great argument for having names on the uniforms. Otherwise, when you watch videos like that, from that long ago, you probably wouldn't be able to remember many of those players names. I know that's true for myself, and I'll bet it's true for most fans.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:39 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:48 am
John K wrote:
catscat wrote:
John K wrote:
catscat wrote:
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
If UM thinks MSU is copying them by using names on jerseys or not, it just shows their delusion that they are trendsetters. They took the names off the jerseys after the movie "Miracle" came out and most of the world was introduced to the now-cliche concept that the name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back. The next season, the Grizzlies didn't have names on the backs of the jerseys and they acted like they invented the idea. Kind of like having a legacy number or saying "We are Montana". If anything, they should be able to brag "we ripped off that idea first!".
That's also a very good point. Very few "cool" ideas like the ones you mentioned are truly original. I mean some program had to come up with the idea first, but then after that, if it catches on with other schools, all the others are essentially copying them. It's not like a bunch of different teams just happened to come up with the same idea on their own, without being influenced by seeing someone else who is already doing it.

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:43 am

John K wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:32 am
Rich K wrote:
That's actually a very good point, and a great argument for having names on the uniforms. Otherwise, when you watch videos like that, from that long ago, you probably wouldn't be able to remember many of those players names. I know that's true for myself, and I'll bet it's true for most fans.
+1

I hadn’t been too passionate about this issue, just seemed a matter of convenience. But when you look at it from that perspective, all those guys in the old highlight reels have earned their place in Bobcat lore and should be recognized.

Someday these guys will be those guys.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:14 am

It would sure confuse them with Anderson wearing Andersen's jersey.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Long Time Cat

Post by Long Time Cat » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:19 pm

Rich K wrote:
This is easily the best argument I have seen on either side of this issue.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:30 pm

The old school Cats script & the cat logo with the US flag are the two best helmet decals in my opinion. I'm of the opinion our old school uniforms are badass too.

I actually like when we've gone spartan all white with our unis too under Choate.

Other than that I'm good with our unis, so long as we don't try to go gayass, try-hard Oregon or completely redesign our uniforms like the jizz did back in the 90s when they completely changed their school colors for marketing purposes.

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:03 pm

FTG_1984 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:30 pm
The old school Cats script & the cat logo with the US flag are the two best helmet decals in my opinion. I'm of the opinion our old school uniforms are badass too.

I actually like when we've gone spartan all white with our unis too under Choate.

Other than that I'm good with our unis, so long as we don't try to go gayass, try-hard Oregon or completely redesign our uniforms like the jizz did back in the 90s when they completely changed their school colors for marketing purposes.
Careful, your bigotry’s showing...

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:47 am

Catsrgrood wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:03 pm
FTG_1984 wrote:

Yes never ever say anything even remotely controversial, unless it demeans a Conservative. You should be ashamed and move to Portland.

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:39 am

allcat wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:47 am
Catsrgrood wrote:
FTG_1984 wrote:

Yes never ever say anything even remotely controversial, unless it demeans a Conservative. You should be ashamed and move to Portland.
I’m going to go out on a limb here and assume that most people that post here aren’t 12 years old. Find a different term to use to put something down besides “gayass”. It’s that simple. Using terms like that to put something/someone down show a very simple and immature mind. Has nothing to do with being conservative or liberal, as you seem to imply by saying move to Portland.

Dumb comments like that are going to be called out just the same as if someone were to say something dumb about the coaches or football team.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:24 am

Catsrgrood wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:39 am
allcat wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:
FTG_1984 wrote:

I’m going to go out on a limb here and assume that most people that post here aren’t 12 years old. Find a different term to use to put something down besides “gayass”. It’s that simple. Using terms like that to put something/someone down show a very simple and immature mind. Has nothing to do with being conservative or liberal, as you seem to imply by saying move to Portland.

Dumb comments like that are going to be called out just the same as if someone were to say something dumb about the coaches or football team.
You are using an assumption of every being over a certain age. I'll use the same assumption and wager that almost everybody here has used similar terms in their past, it's how you talked when you were with your friends. I liken it to the Fredo stuff that is very recent. I think many things are someone just wanting to show they have the correct morals and if you don't agree with them you are morally repugnant. I would bet that FTG did not mean this as a putdown of gay people, he was just really saying he did not really like the way Oregon goes overboard with their uni's.

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:41 am

allcat wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:24 am
Catsrgrood wrote:
allcat wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:
FTG_1984 wrote:

You are using an assumption of every being over a certain age. I'll use the same assumption and wager that almost everybody here has used similar terms in their past, it's how you talked when you were with your friends. I liken it to the Fredo stuff that is very recent. I think many things are someone just wanting to show they have the correct morals and if you don't agree with them you are morally repugnant. I would bet that FTG did not mean this as a putdown of gay people, he was just really saying he did not really like the way Oregon goes overboard with their uni's.
I have no intention of turning this thread into a discussion or argument about morals, right/wrong, etc. I simply saw a dumb comment, called it out for what it was, and that was it. I stand by that, as I think it’s pretty clear that if the term gayass is used to put something down, it implies that the person has a problem with gay people. You wouldn’t use that term has a form of putting something down if you were 100% ok with gay people. That would by definition take the “diss” quality out of the word for that person.
Maybe that’s not how he meant it, so my point is, find a different term to put something down with, otherwise it comes off as childish or just plain ignorant or intolerant.
I disagree that most people have used something similar, I’ve been on this board for a few years now and rarely see anything of the sort.
FTG is notorious for posting dumb or childish things though, they often get called out but never reply.

I realize I’m coming off as a social justice warrior here, so I’ll step off my soapbox and let it get back to football, this will be my last post on it.
I just have a hard time letting dumb comments slide.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:28 am

Catsrgrood wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:41 am
allcat wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:
allcat wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:
FTG_1984 wrote:

I have no intention of turning this thread into a discussion or argument about morals, right/wrong, etc. I simply saw a dumb comment, called it out for what it was, and that was it. I stand by that, as I think it’s pretty clear that if the term gayass is used to put something down, it implies that the person has a problem with gay people. You wouldn’t use that term has a form of putting something down if you were 100% ok with gay people. That would by definition take the “diss” quality out of the word for that person.
Maybe that’s not how he meant it, so my point is, find a different term to put something down with, otherwise it comes off as childish or just plain ignorant or intolerant.
I disagree that most people have used something similar, I’ve been on this board for a few years now and rarely see anything of the sort.
FTG is notorious for posting dumb or childish things though, they often get called out but never reply.

I realize I’m coming off as a social justice warrior here, so I’ll step off my soapbox and let it get back to football, this will be my last post on it.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

Mr Lisle

Post by Mr Lisle » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:51 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:48 am
John K wrote:
catscat wrote:
John K wrote:
catscat wrote:
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
For what it's worth...the new American Football League was the first to put players names on the back of their jerseys (1960) so basically everyone copied them. For those of you with short memories :wink: , the AFL merged with the NFL in 1970.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:36 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:28 am
Catsrgrood wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:41 am
allcat wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:
allcat wrote:
Catsrgrood wrote:
FTG_1984 wrote:

Winner winner, chicken parm dinner.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:01 pm

Fair enough, looks like I’m outnumbered on that one...
I can honestly say I’ve never been accused of being a snowflake or easily offended person.

I think there is a difference between being offended by everything (which I wholeheartedly agree there is way too much of these days) and calling someone out for using a very dated and pretty much universally agreed upon term that is, at best, ignorant.

But maybe that’s just me...

Anyway, back to football