Depth Chart / Starters

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Depth Chart / Starters

Post by iaafan » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:14 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:13 am
iaafan wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:05 am
cats2506 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:55 am
I thought I heard coach say something in the presser after the scrimmage that makes me think almost all the 1's have been decided, There are still some 2's and 3's to be determined and they will likely hinge on special teams and the versatility of the player.

How many can travel to TT? usually the non-conference games and FBS games are able to travel more than a BSC game
I don’t think the ILBs have been determined. I kinda hope Martin, if he’s an ILB, goes there from RB. Or that Hardy plays Sam and Andersen moves inside.
Why move Andersen inside?
It just seems like the reason they can’t sort out the ILB is because none of them are really standing out. Sounds like Hardy is doing well at Sam. Troy is way better at Sam than ILB, but it might make the team better overall.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:14 am

RobertCats wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:50 am
cats2506 wrote:
I thought I heard coach say something in the presser after the scrimmage that makes me think almost all the 1's have been decided, There are still some 2's and 3's to be determined and they will likely hinge on special teams and the versatility of the player.

How many can travel to TT? usually the non-conference games and FBS games are able to travel more than a BSC game
Sounds like the coaches met with all the players yesterday and they discussed roles and I imagine whether they redshirt or not. I would think after these conversations that the depth charts are basically finalized but I doubt we see anything until game week. Here is a blurb about it from Greg Rachac in an article about the scrimmage.
Sunday is “roll call” day for the team, meaning the coaches will meet with each player individually to clarify roles and explain expectations. The Bobcats will return to practice Monday to begin its “mock” game-week preparation for their Aug. 31 opener at Texas Tech.
http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky- ... 76526.html
It's a lot different now though in terms of figuring out who will red shirt. I'm sure there are players that the coaches KNOW will RS is 2019 (Barring catastrophic injury issues), but there will probably be a group of players that won't know if they're red shirting until literally the end of the season (Loagn Jones last year).

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:46 am

iaafan wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:14 am
bobcat99 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
cats2506 wrote:

I don’t think the ILBs have been determined. I kinda hope Martin, if he’s an ILB, goes there from RB. Or that Hardy plays Sam and Andersen moves inside.
It just seems like the reason they can’t sort out the ILB is because none of them are really standing out. Sounds like Hardy is doing well at Sam. Troy is way better at Sam than ILB, but it might make the team better overall.
No. They're having a hard time because there are multiple standouts. Tremendous depth there.

Sounds like Hardy is improved, but I'm not sure he's one of the top LB's on the squad.

Moving Andersen to Mike diminishes many of his strengths/abilities. He's the prototype for SAM LB, which is highly rare for this level.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:00 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:46 am
iaafan wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
cats2506 wrote:

No. They're having a hard time because there are multiple standouts. Tremendous depth there.

Sounds like Hardy is improved, but I'm not sure he's one of the top LB's on the squad.

Moving Andersen to Mike diminishes many of his strengths/abilities. He's the prototype for SAM LB, which is highly rare for this level.
I think you might be saying the same thing. I think he's agreeing they're all standouts, but none are separating themselves from the pack. At least that's how I read it.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:06 pm

iaafan wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
cats2506 wrote:

Hill is a known commodity but Jobman, Kanow, Askelson, O'Reilly, and Cozzie all have had really good fall camps. Flovin has also flashed so they currently have about 7 inside linebackers (Mike and Will) that they feel could make an impact. I actually think we may see a different starting unit depending on the opponent each week.

Anyway, Josh Hill didn't play in the scrimmage. Here was the 2-deep on Saturday:

1st Team - Jobman (Will)/Askelson (Mike)/Andersen (Sam)
2nd Team - O'Reilly (Will)/Cozzie (Mike)/Hardy (Sam)

Kanow and Flovin also played a lot inside.

Basically, its a good problem to have.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:34 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:00 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:46 am
iaafan wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
cats2506 wrote:

I think you might be saying the same thing. I think he's agreeing they're all standouts, but none are separating themselves from the pack. At least that's how I read it.
I realize this is semantics, but I've always understood (especially in sports) that when someone is a standout performer, or that they're standing out from the rest, it's meant as an adjective of their play. So to say nobody is standing out would be to say that nobody is doing "well".

Personally, if I wanted to say that they were all on similar levels, I would say that nobody has separated themselves from the other. But again, semantics.

Just wanted to explain how I took it, so what I said makes more sense. :)

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:59 pm

Looks like another mutation for Troy. My take is that he's gonna rotate between offense and defense. When he plays a series on offense, Hardy plays Sam. Hopefully no one, even Troy will have to be overused, and all will be fresh in the 4th quarter.

2024 Resume dominance

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:04 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:59 pm
Looks like another mutation for Troy. My take is that he's gonna rotate between offense and defense. When he plays a series on offense, Hardy plays Sam. Hopefully no one, even Troy will have to be overused, and all will be fresh in the 4th quarter.
It's a LONG season - 12 Games plus 5 Playoff games.
I like the fact that we are at 100+ in the locker room and have depth this team has NEVER had.
Let the Gizz be ranked in the polls, let em win a few... and that makes it better in the Brawl when we win.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:13 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:19 am
bobcat99 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
cats2506 wrote:

You take away many of the things Andersen does well by moving him inside. He's a perfect fit at Sam linebacker. Here is my list of Troy's positional value:

1) SLB
2) RB
3) Buck
4) SS
5) QB
6) TE/Slot WR
7) DE
8.) FS
9) WLB
10) MLB
11) Outside WR
12) DT
13) OL
14) K/P
You left out Long Snapper...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:19 pm

RickRund wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:13 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
cats2506 wrote:

You take away many of the things Andersen does well by moving him inside. He's a perfect fit at Sam linebacker. Here is my list of Troy's positional value:

1) SLB
2) RB
3) Buck
4) SS
5) QB
6) TE/Slot WR
7) DE
8.) FS
9) WLB
10) MLB
11) Outside WR
12) DT
13) OL
14) K/P
He'd be a great long snapper. Can you imagine how many punt returners he'd blow up since he'd be untouched??? I think you're onto something.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:03 pm

RickRund wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
cats2506 wrote:

1) SLB
2) RB
3) Buck
4) SS
5) QB
6) TE/Slot WR
7) DE
8.) FS
9) WLB
10) MLB
11) Outside WR
12) DT
13) OL
14) K/P
Indeed I did. To be honest, he could probably be an NFL long snapper if he tried out. Maybe that's his true best position...

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:13 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:06 pm
iaafan wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
cats2506 wrote:

Hill is a known commodity but Jobman, Kanow, Askelson, O'Reilly, and Cozzie all have had really good fall camps. Flovin has also flashed so they currently have about 7 inside linebackers (Mike and Will) that they feel could make an impact. I actually think we may see a different starting unit depending on the opponent each week.

Anyway, Josh Hill didn't play in the scrimmage. Here was the 2-deep on Saturday:

1st Team - Jobman (Will)/Askelson (Mike)/Andersen (Sam)
2nd Team - O'Reilly (Will)/Cozzie (Mike)/Hardy (Sam)

Kanow and Flovin also played a lot inside.

Basically, its a good problem to have.
What I'm hearing is Williams and Andersen are expected to be outstanding at OLB (Sam/Buck), A players. Relatively speaking, and it isn't a slight, the ILBs are all B players, but definitely good enough to start at most other BSC schools. So while it may appear to iaafan that there's a weakness there, that probably isn't the case.

I'm actually more intrigued by iaa's other scenario: Martin to ILB. That doesn't seem likely since the coaches have found a good fit for him on offense and, I assume, special teams, but you never know. If he's something of a wunderkind he could develop into a third A player at one of the LB (ILB) positions. I also think Hardy is B player, and even if Andersen was an A player at ILB, there doesn't seem to be a gain there.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:01 pm

cats2506 wrote:

I think this is still currently the rule. It was from BSC 2012-2013.
TRAVEL SQUAD LIMITATIONS
1. When air travel and/or overnight lodging are involved, the travel squad limit for Conference,
non-Conference (except FBS) and FCS playoff games shall be fifty-eight (58) student-athletes.
The travel squad limit for FBS games shall be seventy (70).
(a) There is no travel squad limit for non-Conference contests (including FBS) when air travel
and/or overnight lodging are not involved.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:45 pm

I think Hardy will soon be an A player.....I say after 3 games. In fact, as I remember, he's the reason for going ahead with Troy's change to QB last year. It may not have worked out exactly how they had hoped, but they felt that Hardy was almost as athletic as Troy and could solidify the LB corps if he had to switch to QB. Hardy didn't pick up the position as fast as they hoped. I think he had only one year of HS football before going to JC. And no one picks things up like Troy. So we were a little mediocre at LB last year. This year we are loaded with the improvement of Hardy, Jobman, and Askelson, and all the transfers.
Last edited by Helcat72 on Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2024 Resume dominance

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:49 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:45 pm
I think Hardy will soon be an A player.....I say after 3 games.
Isn’t he currently a 2nd stringer?

2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 083190 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:49 pm

No recent "Player of the Day" announcements?

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:00 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:49 pm
Helcat72 wrote:
Yup, behind Troy....but when Troy needs a blow after playing a series on offense he'll play a lot. I also think that if Hardy takes off at Sam maybe they'll move Troy around so opponents won't know where he's coming from. (I have no inside info, just projecting thoughts.)

2024 Resume dominance

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:22 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:00 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:49 pm
Helcat72 wrote:
Yup, behind Troy....but when Troy needs a blow after playing a series on offense he'll play a lot. I also think that if Hardy takes off at Sam maybe they'll move Troy around so opponents won't know where he's coming from. (I have no inside info, just projecting thoughts.)
Could be a good projection, kind of nice having the talent to play Troy where you want to , rather than where you
have too !

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

topshelfthepuck
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by topshelfthepuck » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:52 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:03 pm
RickRund wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
cats2506 wrote:

1) SLB
2) RB
3) Buck
4) SS
5) QB
6) TE/Slot WR
7) DE
8.) FS
9) WLB
10) MLB
11) Outside WR
12) DT
13) OL
14) K/P
Indeed I did. To be honest, he could probably be an NFL long snapper if he tried out. Maybe that's his true best position...
A couple of us were having a discussion on Andersen and areas that he could affect the game without taking much away from his main production areas (only a few extra snaps a game). Coach Choate mentioned him as a possible return option on Kickoff, but we tossed around the idea of the "Up Man" on punts. Sets up as direct snap for some RPO or even a lead blocker on the outside for the rolling punt/sweep to the outside. That may really mess with teams, having the best punter in the league as well as the most versatile player in the league standing back there on 4th and 4.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:28 am

topshelfthepuck wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:52 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:03 pm
RickRund wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
iaafan wrote:
cats2506 wrote:

1) SLB
2) RB
3) Buck
4) SS
5) QB
6) TE/Slot WR
7) DE
8.) FS
9) WLB
10) MLB
11) Outside WR
12) DT
13) OL
14) K/P
A couple of us were having a discussion on Andersen and areas that he could affect the game without taking much away from his main production areas (only a few extra snaps a game). Coach Choate mentioned him as a possible return option on Kickoff, but we tossed around the idea of the "Up Man" on punts. Sets up as direct snap for some RPO or even a lead blocker on the outside for the rolling punt/sweep to the outside. That may really mess with teams, having the best punter in the league as well as the most versatile player in the league standing back there on 4th and 4.