College Sports Madness-2019 Top 44 Countdown

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

codecat
Member # Retired

Re: College Sports Madness-2019 Top 44 Countdown

Post by codecat » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:32 am

#35 New Hampshire FCS Football-2019 Preview (Wildcats)
#6 CAA
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17648

Finished 2018 outside all three polls: Stats, CSM, and Hero.
Everything went wrong for New Hampshire last season. The program had made 14 straight playoff appearances until last year.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:57 am

#34 Duquesne FCS Football-2019 Preview (Dukes)
#1 NEC
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17651

Finished 2018 #21 in the Stats, #24 in the CSM, and in the Hero poll.
Duquesne returned to the playoffs for the first time since 2015. And once there, the Dukes managed to knock off Towson to earn their first ever playoff win. That will be the main goal again in 2019, but it may not be as easy as it looks to win the expanded NEC and earn an automatic spot in the playoffs.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:50 am

#33 Monmouth FCS Football-2019 Preview (Hawks)
#2 Big South
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17654

Finished 2018 outside Stats, CSM, and Hero polls.
Monmouth has had a couple very good seasons. In 2017 they made the playoffs and last season they just missed out with an 8-3 record. In Big South play it has been Kennesaw State that has stood in their way. That may be the case again in 2019, but the Hawks have the offensive talent to again push for a playoff spot, even if they finish second in the Big South again.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:07 am

#32 Northern Arizona FCS Football-2019 Preview (Lumberjacks)
#6 Big Sky
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17657

Northern Arizona suffered through a difficult, injury-prone 2018 campaign. New coach Chris Ball should bring the defensive intensity that this team needs. He spent the last three seasons as Memphis’ defensive coordinator and will add a much needed boost to the defense.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:50 am

codecat wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:07 am
#6 Big Sky

Northern Arizona suffered through a difficult, injury-prone 2018 campaign. New coach Chris Ball should bring the defensive intensity that this team needs. He spent the last three seasons as Memphis’ defensive coordinator and will add a much needed boost to the defense.
NAU should be a lot better than they are. The similarities to EWU are almost identical. Any local talent who doesn't get on with ASU or UA should be snapped up by NAU. You would think. I think the populations of each state are about similar. Phoenix and Seattle are very similar in population. Tucson is probably close to double Spokane, but not quite. The enrollment at NAU is 25,000+, which I think is quite a bit higher than EWU.

If this new coach is any good, NAU could be a new conference powerhouse in a few years or sooner.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:52 am

Cledus wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:50 am
codecat wrote:
#6 Big Sky

NAU should be a lot better than they are. The similarities to EWU are almost identical. Any local talent who doesn't get on with ASU or UA should be snapped up by NAU. You would think. I think the populations of each state are about similar. Phoenix and Seattle are very similar in population. Tucson is probably close to double Spokane, but not quite. The enrollment at NAU is 25,000+, which I think is quite a bit higher than EWU.

If this new coach is any good, NAU could be a new conference powerhouse in a few years or sooner.
And the thought of playing football in Tucson or Tempe in August is nauseating. But a kid can go to Flagstaff and play in temps 20-30 degrees cooler, then play inside when it gets cold. With the right program I think they could be stealing a few guys from ASU, UA, and even from Colorado and CA. NAU is a sleeping giant and one of these days they're going to blow up.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:39 pm

Cledus wrote:
codecat wrote:
#6 Big Sky

Ball was my #1 choice to replace Ash, I have since seen the error of my ways.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:58 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:39 pm
Cledus wrote:
codecat wrote:
#6 Big Sky

I wonder why a DC for an FBS school would make what most people would consider a downward career move. I think NAU probably has enough money to pay him close to what Memphis did. If it’s not money, the FBS position would seemingly open more doors for him than a BSC head coach.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:24 pm

Cledus wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:58 pm
RobertCats wrote:
Cledus wrote:
codecat wrote:
#6 Big Sky

I wonder why a DC for an FBS school would make what most people would consider a downward career move. I think NAU probably has enough money to pay him close to what Memphis did. If it’s not money, the FBS position would seemingly open more doors for him than a BSC head coach.

Seems somebody else in The Big Sky came from an FBS p5 to coach! :o

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:25 pm

Cledus wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:58 pm
RobertCats wrote:
Cledus wrote:
codecat wrote:
#6 Big Sky

It seems to me you have more of a chance to affect your future by being the guy in charge at an FCS school. As a coordinator at a middling FBS school you're mostly dependent on the success of the program, which is dictated by the head coach's success. I'd want to bet on myself to go be the guy in charge and make a bigger impact if the ultimate goal is to be a HC at the highest level.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:32 am

#31 South Dakota FCS Football-2019 Preview (Coyotes)
#6 Missouri Valley
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17660

South Dakota has been very inconsistent during Coach Bob Nielson’s three year tenure leading the program. In 2017 the Coyotes made the playoffs, but the two other seasons South Dakota finished a disappointing 4-7. They will hope 2019 will be less like 2018 and more like 2017.

Returning Leader: Passing: Austin Simmons, QB, 3,124 yards

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:38 am

codecat wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:32 am
#31 South Dakota FCS Football-2019 Preview (Coyotes)
#6 Missouri Valley
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17660

South Dakota has been very inconsistent during Coach Bob Nielson’s three year tenure leading the program. In 2017 the Coyotes made the playoffs, but the two other seasons South Dakota finished a disappointing 4-7. They will hope 2019 will be less like 2018 and more like 2017.

Returning Leader: Passing: Austin Simmons, QB, 3,124 yards
[/quote

I notice they are predicted to start 0-2. I don't think so with their secondary and that offense, but who knows?

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:40 am

#30 North Dakota FCS Football-2019 Preview (Fighting Hawks)
#1 FCS Independent
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17663

North Dakota got off to a strong start in 2018. They were 5-2, with one of those losses coming against Washington, and were in a very good position to get into the playoffs. However, the Fighting Hawks lost three of their last four games and finished with a disappointing 6-5 record.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:41 am

#29 Delaware FCS Football-2019 Preview (Fightin' Blue Hens)
#6 CAA
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17666

Finished 2018 #24 in the Stats, #25 in Hero, and #19 in CSM polls.
Delaware finally made the playoffs again in 2018 after an eight year absence. They lost to James Madison in the first round, but it was still a big step in the right direction. Coach Danny Rocco has a lot of big holes to fill this season, but he has also been bringing in very strong recruiting classes and the hopes remain high heading into 2019.

grizband
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by grizband » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:28 pm

Cledus wrote:
codecat wrote:
#6 Big Sky

The Phoenix Metro area is about 1,000,000 people larger than the Seattle Metro area (4.8 million to 3.9 million), while Tucson has a metro area of 1 million compared to 570,000 for Spokane. This should give NAU an advantage at least in recruiting pool, but the on field results haven't materialized in the past 20 seasons.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:44 pm

"The Phoenix Metro area is about 1,000,000 people larger than the Seattle Metro area (4.8 million to 3.9 million), while Tucson has a metro area of 1 million compared to 570,000 for Spokane. This should give NAU an advantage at least in recruiting pool, but the on field results haven't materialized in the past 20 seasons."

The hometowns of the Husky roster would seem to indicate the greater Seattle area isn't heavily recruited by Washington and WAZZU shows a similar roster recruiting base and pattern...

https://gohuskies.com/roster.aspx?roster=176

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:13 pm

grizband wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:28 pm
Cledus wrote:
codecat wrote:
#6 Big Sky

The Phoenix Metro area is about 1,000,000 people larger than the Seattle Metro area (4.8 million to 3.9 million), while Tucson has a metro area of 1 million compared to 570,000 for Spokane. This should give NAU an advantage at least in recruiting pool, but the on field results haven't materialized in the past 20 seasons.
Didn't realize Spokane was that large. Was thinking 400000 or so... No wonder I don't like it there :D

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:23 pm

grizband wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:28 pm
Cledus wrote:
codecat wrote:
#6 Big Sky

I think Souers did a lot well there, but the football team was handicapped by his low upside. I think a lot of people will be surprised if NAU really steps it up under this new coach. If that happens they'll be right where they should be (in my judgment), but I can see a lot of people not expecting it or being surprised.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:38 am

#28 Central Arkansas FCS Football-2019 Preview (Bears)
#4 Southland
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17669

Finished 2018 outside Stats, Hero, and CSM polls.
The Bottom Line:
The landscape in the Southland Conference changed last season. In the recent past it has been all about Central Arkansas and Sam Houston State. Last year Nicholls won the regular season title and Incarnate Word and Lamar both made their playoff debuts. UCA plays those three playoff teams on the road. The competition is getting tougher and the conference seems to be much more balanced. That will again make it difficult for Central Arkansas to reach seven wins and have a chance at returning to the playoffs.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:58 am

codecat wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:38 am
#28 Central Arkansas FCS Football-2019 Preview (Bears)
#4 Southland
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/17669

Finished 2018 outside Stats, Hero, and CSM polls.
The Bottom Line:
The landscape in the Southland Conference changed last season. In the recent past it has been all about Central Arkansas and Sam Houston State. Last year Nicholls won the regular season title and Incarnate Word and Lamar both made their playoff debuts. UCA plays those three playoff teams on the road. The competition is getting tougher and the conference seems to be much more balanced. That will again make it difficult for Central Arkansas to reach seven wins and have a chance at returning to the playoffs.
This will hit them a bit I think:

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act