Dylan Porter (transfer from Nevada) commits

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Dylan Porter (transfer from Nevada) commits

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:20 am

Dylan Porter a 6-6, 305-lb OL has committed to transfer to MSU from Nevada. He has three years to play three. He played high school football at Elmira, Oregon.

From Nevada bio:… Once saved his mom’s life from cardiac arrest in the middle of his senior wrestling season.

Won 4A wrestling championship at 285. First team all league both ways (OL/DL). 2-star 247.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Dylan Porter (transfer from Nevada) commits

Post by Montanabob » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:15 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:20 am
Dylan Porter a 6-6, 305-lb OL has committed to transfer to MSU from Nevada. He has three years to play three. He played high school football at Elmira, Oregon.

From Nevada bio:… Once saved his mom’s life from cardiac arrest in the middle of his senior wrestling season.

Won 4A wrestling championship at 285. First team all league both ways (OL/DL). 2-star 247.
Brings us to about 17 offensive lineman going into fall with 1 senior. Trying to be deep in the trenches and make for some intense competition.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:23 am

OL is the most important position for the offense we run, not surprising. Looks like a good pickup.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:36 am

Interesting.

Expect attrition at OL.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:46 am

Interesting.

Expect the a BETTER OL!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:51 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:36 am
Interesting.

Expect attrition at OL.
How do you mean that?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:06 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Interesting.

Expect attrition at OL.
They've been after a transfer OL since last season ended. They already expected attrition...and it happened. Porter can add much-needed competition at tackle or guard right now. Now with Dylan, there are about 8 lineman who can make up that depth every coach wants. The rest all need more time to develop.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:19 am

Believe he will come in as a sophomore? Love that, plus has a little game experience. I'd expect him to be a backup this year, and take a spot next year.

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:19 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:06 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Interesting.

Expect attrition at OL.
They've been after a transfer OL since last season ended. They already expected attrition...and it happened. Porter can add much-needed competition at tackle or guard right now. Now with Dylan, there are about 8 lineman who can make up that depth every coach wants. The rest all need more time to develop.
Do you expect any more additions to the team from transfer?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:24 am

Bozcat003 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:19 am
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Interesting.

Expect attrition at OL.
This is getting comical to me because the QB hysteria never ends but....they are still looking for an upperclassmen QB transfer. Has to be a higher level transfer though like Choate explained in January after Gresch Jensen and Devon Modster didn't sign. They aren't just going to do it for the sake of doing it.

Another dark horse summer transfer? Safety.

Note: Here is the definition of "hysteria" - exaggerated or uncontrollable emotion or excitement, especially among a group of people

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:34 am

This is really great news. That's 600 pounds of transfers in the last week that should really put us over the top. I'm not even sure where to be neurotic at this point since I happen to believe we will be fine with Rovig.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:51 am

VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Interesting.

Expect attrition at OL.
What attrition happened?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:59 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:51 am
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Interesting.

Expect attrition at OL.
What attrition happened?
Jarrod Asche, Brody McKnight, and Sean Hatten all retired/left the program since last season ended. For depth, it didn't necessarily help that Colin Hammock decided to graduate early with one year of eligibility left.

Here is the current offensive line by class:

Mitch Brott (Sr.)
Lewis Kidd (Jr.)
Taylor Tuiasosopo (Jr.)
Denver Krone (Jr.)
Jake Sessions (Jr.)
Connor Wood (So.)
Zach Redd (So.)
Dylan Porter (So.)

This will likely be the eight that make up the depth chart unless a younger kid steps up in fall camp. Speaking of the younger guys:

Ryan Barkley (Rfr.)
Joe McElroy (Rf.)
Jack Harlow (Fr.)
Hudson Klundt (Fr.)
Anthony Session II (Fr.)
Jack Vering (Fr.)
Holden Sampson (Fr.)
Justus Perkins (Fr.)

Jacob Kettels will be greyshirting so he will technically start his football eligibility in 2020. He is recovering from offseason surgery. Here is the value in greyshirting freshman with senior year injuries: https://www.athleticscholarships.net/qu ... y-shirting.

I also think a kid from Big Timber named Shayden King will join this group as a developmental walk-on. He is about 6'5", 230 lbs. and he moves well. Could make a good tackle before its all said and done. He and Ethan Bullock made quite the imposing duo on both sides of the ball for Sweet Grass County High School. Here is his tape: http://www.hudl.com/profile/6044528/Shayden-King/videos. I'm not sure on this so don't count it yet as fact.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:40 am

VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Interesting.

Expect attrition at OL.
Whether it happens this year or next, it will happen. Which I know is usual, but I'd say more than usual.

Lot of OL that have the same amount of eligibility, or less. They can't all play, so players leave...by their choice or not.

That's all I'm saying.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:42 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:24 am
Bozcat003 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Interesting.

Expect attrition at OL.
This is getting comical to me because the QB hysteria never ends but....they are still looking for an upperclassmen QB transfer. Has to be a higher level transfer though like Choate explained in January after Gresch Jensen and Devon Modster didn't sign. They aren't just going to do it for the sake of doing it.

Note: Here is the definition of "hysteria" - exaggerated or uncontrollable emotion or excitement, especially among a group of people
Thank goodness. We need a QB and Bauman ain't ready.

Cat4LifeHouseDivided
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat4LifeHouseDivided » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:24 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:42 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Bozcat003 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Interesting.

Expect attrition at OL.

Jeez, take a Xanax and stop being a downer. There are other qbs...Rovig, Beltran. Also, attrition is natural and we have depth on the OL along with a bunch of incoming kids. We will be ok!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:02 pm

Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:24 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:42 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Bozcat003 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Interesting.

Expect attrition at OL.

Jeez, take a Xanax and stop being a downer. There are other qbs...Rovig, Beltran. Also, attrition is natural and we have depth on the OL along with a bunch of incoming kids. We will be ok!
A downer? I'm pretty damn high on the talent of this team, sans QB.

Let me tell you something. A team that is happy, or even content, with what they have at QB is not seeking out a veteran QB transfer. Choate and Co went after Jensen, hard. They went after Monster, hard. Now, apparently they're still looking for a veteran QB transfer. It isn't hard to put two and two together here. We'll probably be a decent/good team with Rovig/Bauman starting, but with a good QB we could have a title contending team. Our OL is that good. Our DL is that good. Our secondary is that good.

I'm just being realistic, and looking at what we have plus what the coaches are doing. It's not rocket science.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:39 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:23 am
OL is the most important position for the offense we run, not surprising. Looks like a good pickup.
Absolutley. Need some mass to block running lanes but also give time enough for Murray/Rovig/Bauman on play-action to pass-block. Rare to find at the FCS level so bring on the competition! Every position should be open at this point but some guys would need to beat out to lose their starting position.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan123 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:53 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Bozcat003 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Interesting.

Expect attrition at OL.

Feel great about our o-line and d-line. I feel pretty good about it qb situation. I don't feel very good about our LB line up. I know Anderson will be a gamer, but our lb play was a big weakness last year. Will transitioning TA make that big of an impact from the previous year? Coaches must have seen some off season player development to not be going after another lb transfer.

asstastic
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by asstastic » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:57 pm

Question for everyone:

Isn’t it a coach’s job to try to recruit over players?

It seems all the discussion on this board lately has been about attrition and the coaches not having faith in people because they sign a drop down or mention they need another player.

Saying there will be attrition on the horizon is like saying the sun is gonna set behind the mountains tonight.

The right players will rise to the challenge.

Punchin Griz fans in the mouth since 2002 [-o<

#RTD

19-4-0