2019 Polls

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: 2019 Polls

Post by KittieKop » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:10 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:11 am
onceacat wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:54 pm

And that for an out of state recruit, Mom is never gonna get to watch you play.
:-k

Do we have some weird new border patrol or something I'm not aware of where people from other states can't come here? And if we do, don't we still travel out of state every year? To places like California and Texas?

I'm confused why if I came here from California my mom would never get to watch me play. I agree that if this is the case it dramatically hurts recruiting.
I sit directly above the parents/comp seats in 113 and there are significant numbers of out of state parents at every home game. Have spoken with a number of them over the years. Does mom make every home game? Probably not, but I would wager almost every player has immediate family watching at least one home game each year. Family watching games has little to do with accessibility to Bozeman, it's more cost. Free comp tickets to a game and I'd wager a player's parents spend less to fly to Bozeman from Texas for a game than you or I spend on season tickets living in state. Most player's families/parents aren't destitute; raising a Div I athlete is seldom cheap with camps, coaching, recruiting. I'd bet most families figure a way to make it happen. Also considering a good chunk of those families aren't paying college tuition or anywhere close to cost of attendance most families are paying for their students to attend school.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

utucats
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: 2019 Polls

Post by utucats » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:00 am

onceacat wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:15 pm
utucats wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:45 pm
My two cents....I’ve said it before, the fact that either of our in state universities are worried about competing with anyone else in this conference is a tragedy. Our recruiting advantage is huge and I think we are seeing Choate start to really reap the benefits of that advantage. It takes the coach 3 or 4 rounds of recruiting to really show his vision. I feel like our defense is about to show a huge payoff.

Having said that, the reason Hauck had the griz in the mix the first time was no fluke. He did inherit a great team which is why it didn’t take him years to get that griz team to where he wanted it but he also played winning football and recruited the right kids. Hauck teams played tough d and had big linemen that would wear on opposing teams. He ran the ball effectively and controlled the clock. It’s a winning formula that our coach is putting in place here and with that facility in Missoula it won’t be long until Hauck has them back.

Lucky for us Choate has us further ahead in the process currently. If we want to keep ourselves in that position we have to help him capitalize on that recruiting advantage by getting these facility plans funded.
I’m curious as to what you think our recruiting advantages are. I’d argue that the two Montana schools are at a huge disadvantage to most of the rest of the conference-in particular EWU, WSU, and UCD.

Other than coaching staff, what advantages do we bring to bear?
Have you been to a game in Cheney? If so, compare that experience to what we enjoy on Saturdays at home. There is our advantage and it’s huge. We are recruiting teenagers here.