Facilities - Coach Choate

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:03 am

iaafan wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:12 am
The handrails are not only safer, but they spruce it up. I don’t think the grandstand needs to be replaced, but there are things MSU could do to make it more attractive.
That's a great thought about handrails simply making it look better. Absolutely true. Which made me do something careless — start thinking. Is there anything in the documents about paint color? How about something other than white? Some blue or gold like the other side? Similar pattern maybe? Somewhat darker colors that would absorb more solar and help the ice melt more quickly? I just think iaafan is on to something good here — with the painting there are some low or no-cost options to make that side look better. Or paint the seats in "fan camo" colors so no one knows if anyone came back after halftime or not! 😉

At least a big block M done in the paint?

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:47 pm

I have been in Bozeman and have been talking to some people that have been hanging around the campus. I was told by a gentleman that we are very close on funding for phase 1 of the stadium. He said that things won’t start until after this next season ends, but he seemed to think that they should have all the funding by then. Anyone else heading or heard anything like this. He seemed to know his stuff.

Punters are people too!!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:19 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:47 pm
I have been in Bozeman and have been talking to some people that have been hanging around the campus. I was told by a gentleman that we are very close on funding for phase 1 of the stadium. He said that things won’t start until after this next season ends, but he seemed to think that they should have all the funding by then. Anyone else heading or heard anything like this. He seemed to know his stuff.
Was he a homeless man hanging outside the SUB? 😉

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:57 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:19 pm
GoCats18 wrote:
Was he a homeless man hanging outside the SUB? 😉
You must have talked to him too. 😂

Punters are people too!!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:57 am

GoCats18 wrote:
That’s basically it. I think they’re planning to announce at Homecoming. Then break ground at the end of the 2019 season. Have it ready by the start of 2020 season.

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:53 am

Does that mean "iaafan" is the homeless man hanging outside the SUB? :D

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:56 am

thefrank1 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:53 am
Looks can be deceiving.

If your left, you aren’t right.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:14 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:56 am
thefrank1 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:53 am
Looks can be deceiving.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Tcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Tcat » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:25 am

I would concur with iaafan. Under 1 mill left for funding. Big announcement at Homecoming and target completion for 2020.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:46 pm

The fundraising was always going better than many people thought. Some just assume because they don't make an announcement or they don't read it on a message board that nothing is getting done. People have been working their butts off for years now and I think everyone is going to be pretty happy in the near future. Guys like Choate, Costello, Casey Fox and many others have did exactly what they promised they'd do.

CPACAT
Member # Retired

Post by CPACAT » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:21 pm

I would bet completion is 2021.

IYAACYAS

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:12 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:46 pm
The fundraising was always going better than many people thought. Some just assume because they don't make an announcement or they don't read it on a message board that nothing is getting done. People have been working their butts off for years now and I think everyone is going to be pretty happy in the near future. Guys like Choate, Costello, Casey Fox and many others have did exactly what they promised they'd do.
I’m not sure anyone thought that nothing was getting done on the plan. As a regular donor to the plan, I know I am frustrated at times not hearing or reading about where the project stands. Heck, Choate himself spoke about his frustration with the facilities plan progress just last February and said that they needed to “relaunch” the fundraising effort. It would be nice if the Alumni Foundation or MSU itself gave out more frequent updates. I hope to read or hear something on the plan soon.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:49 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:12 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
I’m not sure anyone thought that nothing was getting done on the plan. As a regular donor to the plan, I know I am frustrated at times not hearing or reading about where the project stands. Heck, Choate himself spoke about his frustration with the facilities plan progress just last February and said that they needed to “relaunch” the fundraising effort. It would be nice if the Alumni Foundation or MSU itself gave out more frequent updates. I hope to read or hear something on the plan soon.
Agreed....just a simple update....where are we in fundraising....how much do we need to have raised before we can begin construction...etc.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:22 pm

AFCAT wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Totally agree. Listening to Choate talk in Billings this April, he was more than frustrated and made it known. He even said give me the tools and the facilities and no one in the big sky would be able to out recruit MSU.

I wish I could share the optimism, but from the things I have heard from Choate and other leaders from different chapters, I just don’t see it. If the fundraising is going good why not come out and say it? I understand why it would be quiet if it’s bad, but if it’s going well, why not boast?

A simple email or letter to let us know would be a good idea. I know Costello won’t do that, because he is the second coming of Fields. Actually Fields was more transparent and noticeable than Costello across the state.

If your left, you aren’t right.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:50 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:22 pm
AFCAT wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Totally agree. Listening to Choate talk in Billings this April, he was more than frustrated and made it known. He even said give me the tools and the facilities and no one in the big sky would be able to out recruit MSU.

I wish I could share the optimism, but from the things I have heard from Choate and other leaders from different chapters, I just don’t see it. If the fundraising is going good why not come out and say it? I understand why it would be quiet if it’s bad, but if it’s going well, why not boast?

A simple email or letter to let us know would be a good idea. I know Costello won’t do that, because he is the second coming of Fields. Actually Fields was more transparent and noticeable than Costello across the state.
Costello was just interviewed in the Gazette about a month or so ago and revealed the amount raised to date. May 23 to be exact. It went beyond the $12 million threshold. I suppose they don’t want to boast about it too much because people sitting on the fence might decide they don’t need to donate. Costello worked on the SDSU facilities fundraiser, which raised a ton more funds than we just did, so he knows what he’s doing.

Fundraising on this started on September 29, 2017. It only took 20 months to complete with all funds ($16.8 million) coming from private donors, including about $5 million for naming rights, $2 million from a private anonymous donor and $1 million from the BQC.

By comparison UM took 23 months to raise $14 million, of which $5 million came from the State. $7 million came from Washington Group. That left just $2 million.

MSU “regular fans” donated $8.8 million. UM “regular fans” donated $2 million. MSU “raised” more money ($16.8 million to $9 million) privately in less time. I don’t think you can ask for much more than that.
Last edited by iaafan on Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:23 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:50 am
Costello was just interviewed in the Gazette about a month or so ago and revealed the amount raised to date. May 23 to be exact. It went beyond the $12 million threshold. I suppose they don’t want to boast about it too much because people sitting on the fence might decide they don’t need to donate. Costello worked on the SDSU facilities fundraiser, which raised a ton more funds than we just did, so he knows what he’s doing.

Fundraising on this started on September 29, 2017. It only took 20 months to complete with all funds ($16.8 million) coming from private donors, including about $5 million for naming rights, $2 million from a private anonymous donor and $1 million from the BQC.

By comparison UM took 23 months to raise $14 million, of which $5 million came from the State. $7 million came from Washington Group. That left just $2 million.

MSU “regular fans” donated $8.8 million. UM “regular fans” donated $2 million. MSU raised more money in less time. I don’t think you can ask for much more than that.
I was wondering the same thing, if maybe making a big announcement that "we're only $500,000 away!" or "only $1 million left to go!" could actually have an adverse effect and cause someone who was considering a donation to change their mind and assume that it's safe to wait and let somebody else donate the remaining money. Kind of like the Bystander Effect in psychology, in which people are less likely to help someone they see is in trouble if there are other people present who they assume will help instead.

I have zero inside info on the fundraising process, but to me it's progressing at about the speed I thought it would given that MSU doesn't have a Denny Washington-type donor who will virtually foot the bill on his own. I can also understand Choate's impatience, as his job literally depends on being able to recruit top players to MSU - it seems that facilities, uniforms, etc. are becoming more and more a part of that given the proliferation of social media in the recruiting process.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:27 am

iaafan wrote:

MSU “regular fans” donated $8.8 million. UM “regular fans” donated $2 million. MSU raised more money in less time. I don’t think you can ask for much more than that.
You say it took 20 months to complete all funding. I'm not sure that's the case... If funding was complete now, why is it being kept secret?

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:38 am

MSU01 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:23 am
iaafan wrote:

I have zero inside info on the fundraising process, but to me it's progressing at about the speed I thought it would given that MSU doesn't have a Denny Washington-type donor who will virtually foot the bill on his own.
Even without Denny Washington MSU has far exceeded the UM “champions” center fundraising effort. UM got BOR approval for $5 million requested by UM to finance in 2014. As of September 30, 2015 UM had raised $1million of the $5 million shortfall. They began re-routing utilities in July 2015, then began some work after the season and got into full swing spring of 2016. So even with Washington dumping in half the funds, MSU did a significantly better job raising funds.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:43 am

91catAlum wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:27 am
iaafan wrote:

You say it took 20 months to complete all funding. I'm not sure that's the case... If funding was complete now, why is it being kept secret?
I don’t know. Maybe the details aren’t all specified. Maybe they want to get all the paperwork for pledges in that are out there. They may raise more than the $16.8 million and put it toward other phases. Could be a number of things.

Point is they’ve done a good-great job. Just look at what UM did by comparison.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:58 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:43 am
91catAlum wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:27 am
iaafan wrote:

I don’t know. Maybe the details aren’t all specified. Maybe they want to get all the paperwork for pledges in that are out there. They may raise more than the $16.8 million and put it toward other phases. Could be a number of things.

Point is they’ve done a good-great job. Just look at what UM did by comparison.
I agree those could be reasons, but my question is more about are you sure the full amount of the money has been raised? Or are we still just "close"?