Players Gone From 2018 Team

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Players Gone From 2018 Team

Post by Grizaddict » Fri May 03, 2019 4:48 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:06 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:19 pm
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:13 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:37 am
You can add Todd Payne to the list
This guy must follow twitter:

Here's some official confirmation on the roster movement for Montana State football.

Colter, serious question, is the loss of 16 players in one roster year for a 4th year coach high or about average? That seems like a lot to me, but I’m interested in how that compares with other programs in our conference or nationally. Many folks keep saying the transfer portal is the reason but are other programs seeing this much change as well?
I have 12 Griz players on my list (that story is coming soon). I think there are many, many reasons we see these numbers rising at Montana State and other places. I will do a podcast on it next week. The one thing I would say is that Jeff Choate has been very open about staying in the front end of roster news. He announces players retiring and leaving the program before reporters can even break down the roster or the roster is updated. For that reason, I think there's more knowledge about the roster movement at MSU than most schools.
That makes sense for sure. In your knowledge is this number high? Does it align to most other Big Sky programs? I suppose a number of us can each take a team and compare and report back but I was hoping you may have an idea.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri May 03, 2019 5:45 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:48 pm
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:

Here's some official confirmation on the roster movement for Montana State football.

Colter, serious question, is the loss of 16 players in one roster year for a 4th year coach high or about average? That seems like a lot to me, but I’m interested in how that compares with other programs in our conference or nationally. Many folks keep saying the transfer portal is the reason but are other programs seeing this much change as well?
I have 12 Griz players on my list (that story is coming soon). I think there are many, many reasons we see these numbers rising at Montana State and other places. I will do a podcast on it next week. The one thing I would say is that Jeff Choate has been very open about staying in the front end of roster news. He announces players retiring and leaving the program before reporters can even break down the roster or the roster is updated. For that reason, I think there's more knowledge about the roster movement at MSU than most schools.
That makes sense for sure. In your knowledge is this number high? Does it align to most other Big Sky programs? I suppose a number of us can each take a team and compare and report back but I was hoping you may have an idea.
Four of the departures are medical retirements, which are impossible to predict. Ty'Rese Gibson is gone for now but may be back if he can get some things in order. So that makes the number more like 11. Then you factor in that Todd Payne, Jarrod Ashche, Jacob Byrne, Clark Judisch and Blake Allred were walk-ons who were replaced by more talented players. Hard to predict 4-star recruits like Dante Sparaco and Maleek Barkley not liking Montana State and leaving so abruptly.

To answer your question, I think each team loses 10-15 players a year whether that comes from injury, attrition or coaches deciding to go in a different direction. And I also think every team has specifics that go along with almost every roster move. And I think the current generation quits in much shorter order than in the past.

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Fri May 03, 2019 6:42 pm

Updated per Skylines latest update.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Fri May 03, 2019 10:33 pm

Choate has improved the roster every year but I think the NDSU loss accelerated Choate's thought process and he is driving upgrades harder then before. I think the roster and the coaching staff have made improvements greater than his first 3 years. I think Choate can compete now for a BSC title and I think he is only another year away from competing for a NC title.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat May 04, 2019 5:40 am

gtapp wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:33 pm
Choate has improved the roster every year but I think the NDSU loss accelerated Choate's thought process and he is driving upgrades harder then before. I think the roster and the coaching staff have made improvements greater than his first 3 years. I think Choate can compete now for a BSC title and I think he is only another year away from competing for a NC title.
I think it all hinges on getting the QB spot figured out. If we do that, then I think you're right.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Sat May 04, 2019 7:31 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 5:45 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:48 pm
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:

Four of the departures are medical retirements, which are impossible to predict. Ty'Rese Gibson is gone for now but may be back if he can get some things in order. So that makes the number more like 11. Then you factor in that Todd Payne, Jarrod Ashche, Jacob Byrne, Clark Judisch and Blake Allred were walk-ons who were replaced by more talented players. Hard to predict 4-star recruits like Dante Sparaco and Maleek Barkley not liking Montana State and leaving so abruptly.

To answer your question, I think each team loses 10-15 players a year whether that comes from injury, attrition or coaches deciding to go in a different direction. And I also think every team has specifics that go along with almost every roster move. And I think the current generation quits in much shorter order than in the past.
Awesome feedback, thank you for answering my question.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat May 04, 2019 8:11 am

Attrition is normal. There will always be a few that either don't like it here, or want to move on for some reason (cost of school, being away from home, playing time, etc).

Then you get some attrition that is "encouraged" because there are other players who are better, and being blunt, they're a non optimal usage of scholarship or roster space. Attrition because you're upgrading your roster is a good thing. So Cauley, Metcalf, no big deal. Williams on the other hand, not ideal at all. But it happens. I don't think any of this is an indictment on Choate.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat May 04, 2019 11:06 am

91catAlum wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 5:40 am
gtapp wrote:
I think it all hinges on getting the QB spot figured out. If we do that, then I think you're right.
Our roster is much stronger overall and Choate is working on making it even stronger. I think we are stronger overall, but we may be missing the key individual standouts that separate a good team from a great team. Troy is obviously an NFL talent, but we need a couple more NFL type guys. NDSU, Delaware and Stony Brook each had 7 guys that got NFL tryouts/deals this year. Heck, Northern Colorado, UC Davis, Western Illinois and South Dakota State all had four guys get NFL deals.

https://m.herosports.com/nfl/draft-2019 ... -team-ajaj

Obviously, we have Troy (and Konkol and maybe even Murray) as NFL guys, but with additions like Ifanse, Sterk and the new UW guy, Choate is getting those key extra players that will put our roster over the top. Big Sky Conference this year and and deep playoff run this year and next year.

Anacomando
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Anacomando » Sun May 05, 2019 8:33 am

Cataholic wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 11:06 am
91catAlum wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 5:40 am
gtapp wrote:
Our roster is much stronger overall and Choate is working on making it even stronger. I think we are stronger overall, but we may be missing the key individual standouts that separate a good team from a great team. Troy is obviously an NFL talent, but we need a couple more NFL type guys. NDSU, Delaware and Stony Brook each had 7 guys that got NFL tryouts/deals this year. Heck, Northern Colorado, UC Davis, Western Illinois and South Dakota State all had four guys get NFL deals.

https://m.herosports.com/nfl/draft-2019 ... -team-ajaj

Obviously, we have Troy (and Konkol and maybe even Murray) as NFL guys, but with additions like Ifanse, Sterk and the new UW guy, Choate is getting those key extra players that will put our roster over the top. Big Sky Conference this year and and deep playoff run this year and next year.
Yes, the Cats can compete for the Big Sky. I agree with previous analysis on the QB. As far as the national conversation, I'd like to see a Bobcat team get past the quarterfinals. Ash never did it; maybe Choate can! We'll see. I like the team this year and they need to get those tough road wins. I'm excited and look forward to 2019!

Caturday
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Caturday » Sun May 05, 2019 10:23 am

Is Jalen Cole still with the team? I know he had a very serious injury last year. Is it still a wait and see how recovers deal?

Cat4LifeHouseDivided
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat4LifeHouseDivided » Sun May 05, 2019 10:30 am

Caturday wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 10:23 am
Is Jalen Cole still with the team? I know he had a very serious injury last year. Is it still a wait and see how recovers deal?
Noted a page or 2 earlier. He medically retired due to severity of a knee injury.

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Mon May 06, 2019 12:11 pm

I tried to put up a link from the Sacramento Paper but couldn't get it done. If you have an interest in seeing a team get destroyed you have to read this article. Titled "28 Football Players Left Sac State in 2016. Here's Why". I kept telling friends we needed to be aware of the talent in Sacramento, but could never figure out how they couldn't get it done. Now I know. The article further states they actually lost 72 players between 2014 and 2018. To fill out the mess, they lost a boat load of key players to injury last year, basically wiping out what was left.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon May 06, 2019 1:15 pm

Mr Lisle wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:11 pm
I tried to put up a link from the Sacramento Paper but couldn't get it done. If you have an interest in seeing a team get destroyed you have to read this article. Titled "28 Football Players Left Sac State in 2016. Here's Why". I kept telling friends we needed to be aware of the talent in Sacramento, but could never figure out how they couldn't get it done. Now I know. The article further states they actually lost 72 players between 2014 and 2018. To fill out the mess, they lost a boat load of key players to injury last year, basically wiping out what was left.
Guessing the Sacramento Bee???

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon May 06, 2019 1:23 pm

Mr Lisle wrote:

https://statehornet.com/2018/10/28-foot ... heres-why/

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Mon May 06, 2019 3:23 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:23 pm
Mr Lisle wrote:

interesting to see how many off the losing teams went to start FBS.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Mon May 06, 2019 4:27 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 3:23 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:

Coaches over coach and out think themselves everyday, the number doesn’t shock me anymore. It’s equivalent off college basketball refs, they call a good game in the first half, then meet with each other at halftime, and then totally lose their minds in the second half. Someone always has to get in the way, just to put their own stamp on it.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Wed May 08, 2019 12:00 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 4:27 pm
Montanabob wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:

Coaches over coach and out think themselves everyday, the number doesn’t shock me anymore. It’s equivalent off college basketball refs, they call a good game in the first half, then meet with each other at halftime, and then totally lose their minds in the second half. Someone always has to get in the way, just to put their own stamp on it.
Is Sears still at Sac, or did they let him go?

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed May 08, 2019 12:38 pm

Cledus wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:00 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 4:27 pm
Montanabob wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:

Is Sears still at Sac, or did they let him go?

https://statehornet.com/2018/11/whats-n ... ody-sears/

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu May 30, 2019 6:38 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu May 30, 2019 7:26 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:38 pm
I think this is a calculated move based on a realization that playing QB at MSU is likely not going to happen in the foreseeable future because though we don’t know who the QB will be, those in the program are aware.