New quarterback

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Re: New quarterback

Post by The Butcher » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:59 am

Cledus wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:35 am
4thecats wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:26 am
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:15 am
Nothing wrong with having a full stable of really good quarterbacks on your football team. I like the idea of having a lot of quarterback recruits in the mix. QB's tend to be the best players/athletes on their teams coming out of high school, and sometimes they get beat out or moved to other positions where they end up being outstanding players, or really solid contributors to your team overall. Plus you never know when you may encounter a rash of injuries that decimates your QB position, because apparently that can happen.
Funny you say THIS. During the last NDSU game, the commentary came up about the way NDSU loves to recruit quarterbacks. They mentioned NDSU has 6 qb's on the roster playing different positions than QB.
Seems like Chaote has this philosophy as well. Jonsen is going to be great for us. And it won't be at QB.
This has been a recruiting MO for quite some time, it's nothing recent. That's how all these upstart programs crashed the BCS such as Boise State and TCU. They weren't necessarily recruiting QB's, they were recruiting the best athletes they could find and then fitting them in.

Having said that, even an extraordinarily athletic and talented high school QB has limits to where he can play. It's doubtful you'd ever see one become a lineman. It seems like there are only a few positions an athletic QB can switch, like safety, corner, and wide receiver. Maybe running back. I know it's not a complete list, but you get the idea.
Rob Compson could have become a lineman! :lol: :lol: :lol:

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:11 pm

August newby wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:34 pm
Trying to confirm the validity of this. His father was my last college roommate. His folks are class people.
Yeahhhhh! We got an insider in @August newby! So come on what are the chances we land him August? Tell your old buddy what a sh!thole San Marcos, Texas is.

95bcfb
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 95bcfb » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:24 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:59 am
Cledus wrote:
4thecats wrote:
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Nothing wrong with having a full stable of really good quarterbacks on your football team. I like the idea of having a lot of quarterback recruits in the mix. QB's tend to be the best players/athletes on their teams coming out of high school, and sometimes they get beat out or moved to other positions where they end up being outstanding players, or really solid contributors to your team overall. Plus you never know when you may encounter a rash of injuries that decimates your QB position, because apparently that can happen.
Funny you say THIS. During the last NDSU game, the commentary came up about the way NDSU loves to recruit quarterbacks. They mentioned NDSU has 6 qb's on the roster playing different positions than QB.
Seems like Chaote has this philosophy as well. Jonsen is going to be great for us. And it won't be at QB.
This has been a recruiting MO for quite some time, it's nothing recent. That's how all these upstart programs crashed the BCS such as Boise State and TCU. They weren't necessarily recruiting QB's, they were recruiting the best athletes they could find and then fitting them in.

Having said that, even an extraordinarily athletic and talented high school QB has limits to where he can play. It's doubtful you'd ever see one become a lineman. It seems like there are only a few positions an athletic QB can switch, like safety, corner, and wide receiver. Maybe running back. I know it's not a complete list, but you get the idea.
Rob Compson could have become a lineman! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Neal Smith was a high school QB and one of the best DE I have ever seen play at MSU.

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:31 pm

Cledus wrote:
4thecats wrote:
Bobcatsinmso wrote:

I do agree with you Cledus, add tight end to the mix and there you have 5 likely positions a talented, (and tall) QB may have success in transitioning to. it just so happens that the Bobcats are in need of some new players in the tight end position. :-k

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:32 pm

Cledus wrote:
4thecats wrote:
Bobcatsinmso wrote:

Wilson Brott was a High school quarterback, became a tight end for MSU, then an offensive lineman, and then back to tight end.
Last edited by AFCAT on Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:43 pm

95bcfb wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:24 pm

Neal Smith was a high school QB and one of the best DE I have ever seen play at MSU.
Brayden Konkol played quarterback for Belgrade...and about three other positions. He never left the field.

If it doesn't work out at quarterback would Bauman be converted to a D-end or tight-end? Put 30 pounds on him and the kid would be huge.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:44 pm

Austin Barth did it--similar in size to Bauman.

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:22 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:55 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:35 pm
Stick won’t play in the NFL. But you are right the NFL is looking more at the FCS now versus the past and NDSU, EWU, and JMU have a lot to do with that.
Stick will be at least an NFL backup for a while.
With the NDSU O-line and running game, who wouldn't shine at QB?

Rockhead86
New Recruit

Post by Rockhead86 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:48 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:48 am
Rockhead86 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:43 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:54 pm
Rockhead86 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:20 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:48 pm
RobertCats wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:38 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:51 pm
MNCat wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:42 pm
Why would Gresch post a picture of himself in a Bobcat uniform if he was going to sign with another team?

He also posted that picture today a week after his visit.
He took an unofficial visit the week prior. He came back this week to be a part of the first week of official visits (one more next week before early signing day). Kids have posted pictures of their official visits every year since I've tracked recruiting going back to 2015. Now what does it mean? It means Gresch is very interested in coming here and has been since he reached out to Choate a few months ago. However, Bob Stitt was just hired at Texas State as their OC and two TS coaches began following Gresch on twitter today. He also has strong interest in Idaho State which is an offense that would feature his arm and is ran by former Griz WR coach Mike Ferriter who also has an extensive history with Gresch. We will see what happens.
HE reached out to Choate vs the other way around?! I like this kid more and more each day.
Yeah I was just as surprised as you when I heard it. But I was told Gresch reached out to Choate.
Did he reach out before or after the whole OC switch
Before.

Does anyone else think that might effect the decision for GJ
Very good point, but I think the fact that he reached out to the staff and has visited us twice in the last three (well after the OC change) weeks has to bode well right? I am worried about Stitt and TX state swooping in though.
I agree definitely shows he is still interested.

Rockhead86
New Recruit

Post by Rockhead86 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:53 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:07 am
RobertCats wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:48 am
Rockhead86 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:43 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:54 pm
Rockhead86 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:20 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:48 pm
RobertCats wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:38 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:51 pm
MNCat wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:42 pm
Why would Gresch post a picture of himself in a Bobcat uniform if he was going to sign with another team?

He also posted that picture today a week after his visit.
He took an unofficial visit the week prior. He came back this week to be a part of the first week of official visits (one more next week before early signing day). Kids have posted pictures of their official visits every year since I've tracked recruiting going back to 2015. Now what does it mean? It means Gresch is very interested in coming here and has been since he reached out to Choate a few months ago. However, Bob Stitt was just hired at Texas State as their OC and two TS coaches began following Gresch on twitter today. He also has strong interest in Idaho State which is an offense that would feature his arm and is ran by former Griz WR coach Mike Ferriter who also has an extensive history with Gresch. We will see what happens.
HE reached out to Choate vs the other way around?! I like this kid more and more each day.
Yeah I was just as surprised as you when I heard it. But I was told Gresch reached out to Choate.
Did he reach out before or after the whole OC switch
Before.

Does anyone else think that might effect the decision for GJ
Very good point, but I think the fact that he reached out to the staff and has visited us twice in the last three (well after the OC change) weeks has to bode well right? I am worried about Stitt and TX state swooping in though.
Getting Matt back there has only made things better. Wait? Is there a narrative that Miller will only run a run-first offense thus leading to a kid like Gresch not coming here? Pretty big slap in the face to Matt's knowledge of the passing game if that's the case.
Yep everyone is on the run first mentality here didn’t you know? Jeez I thought everybody knew that. There was really nothing meant to be a slight at Miller. He just does not have the credentials that some of the other coaches have.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:11 pm

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:27 pm

bummer, was hoping to get him.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

sdsyvie
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by sdsyvie » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:28 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:11 pm
You trying to break our hearts colter, posting this in multiple threads :?: :?

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:39 pm

Ok, so with Modster(sp?) showing little interest and Jensen signing elsewhere, I hope Choate has a backup plan to bring in some competition or the guys already in that room are ready to step up.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:40 pm

I don't blame him one bit. Good fit. I hope he does well.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:41 pm

technoCat wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:39 pm
Ok, so with Modster(sp?) showing little interest and Jensen signing elsewhere, I hope Choate has a backup plan to bring in some competition or the guys already in that room are ready to step up.
MSU is still actively recruiting QBs at both the transfer and high school level.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

1984champ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984champ » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:46 pm

technoCat wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:39 pm
I am curious as well. With a new OC and change in direction on offense, it would be ideal to have all of the QBs here for Spring ball.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:03 pm

Rats! Good for him.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:09 pm

If Chris Murry comes back he should be our guy.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:41 pm

seataccat wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:09 pm
If Chris Murry comes back he should be our guy.
I felt that way partway through the season, because midseason Andersen made me miss Murray's throwing ability, something I never thought I'd say.

However now after 3 seasons of offenses that have had to be tailored to the limitations of the the QB running them, I'm ready for a guy who can throw the rock. I'm not saying I want a pass happy offense, but we at the very least need a game manager type QB.

If Murray comes back and wins the job, it will be because he has improved substantially since his sophomore season, which he very well could.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast