Recruiting, Bobby vs Choate

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: Recruiting, Bobby vs Choate

Post by AFCAT » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:51 pm

JimboCat wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:48 pm
I should have been more clear that it was a caller who said the comment, and after relistening to that part, Colter did defend Choate, my mistake.

As I said a few posts back, I think the Tootell and Nuanez show is good unbiased coverage of the Cats. I am looking forward to it being state wide. At least the Cats part.

Grzz, you still think the Cats got "lucky" by winning the Cat Griz game?

Also, you said part of Choate's recruiting success was his drop downs, and that was mostly a result of his UW pipeline., with is going to dry up. I might be wrong, but we have only had one drop down (Sterk) so far, with another coming next year.

*edit - Only one drop down from UW
No, Gardenhire and Hale came from UW too. Choate is currently batting .333 from UW. Time will tell on the other guy.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

GRZZ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by GRZZ » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:02 pm

JimboCat wrote:
I should have been more clear that it was a caller who said the comment, and after relistening to that part, Colter did defend Choate, my mistake.

As I said a few posts back, I think the Tootell and Nuanez show is good unbiased coverage of the Cats. I am looking forward to it being state wide. At least the Cats part.

Also, you said part of Choate's recruiting success was his drop downs, and that was mostly a result of his UW pipeline., with is going to dry up. I might be wrong, but we have only had one drop down (Sterk) so far, with another coming next year.

Haha, I know this is a controversial take on a cat board, but I don't think an unattached third party would have a huge problem with me suggesting that cats got lucky at the end with a fumble. Probably all about perspective again ;-)

My comment was more that it seems every year he is signing a transfer from UW, and I wonder if this is the last year we see that as a regular given that most of the guys who were there when he was will he seniors.

I think it would be cool if they could get a radio affiliate in Bozeman so they would get obnoxious callers from both fan bases similar to Finbaum in SEC country.

I will also confess I sometimes call the cats TAU, Troy Andersen University.

“I think I've heard every coach that's coached against the Grizzlies this year sit up here and say, ‘You know, we're better than those guys, and we can beat those guys,' ” said Kramer. “You know what? The truth is you ain't. So shut. The heck. Up.

JimboCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by JimboCat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:38 pm

I had forgotten about Gardenhire and Hale.

Hopefully in the future we don't have many drop downs because we don't have holes to fill.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:54 pm

GRZZ wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:02 pm
JimboCat wrote:

Haha, I know this is a controversial take on a cat board, but I don't think an unattached third party would have a huge problem with me suggesting that cats got lucky at the end with a fumble. Probably all about perspective again ;-)

My comment was more that it seems every year he is signing a transfer from UW, and I wonder if this is the last year we see that as a regular given that most of the guys who were there when he was will he seniors.

I think it would be cool if they could get a radio affiliate in Bozeman so they would get obnoxious callers from both fan bases similar to Finbaum in SEC country.

Had Eastwood simply dropped the ball on his way into the end zone, that would've been "lucky". That's not what happened. Tucker Yates and Grant Collins went after the football and stripped it out. To say it was a "lucky" play is discrediting the effort those 2 guys put forth to win that game. That's why it makes you look petty to say the Cats got "lucky".

GRZZ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by GRZZ » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:31 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:54 pm
GRZZ wrote:
JimboCat wrote:

Had Eastwood simply dropped the ball on his way into the end zone, that would've been "lucky". That's not what happened. Tucker Yates and Grant Collins went after the football and stripped it out. To say it was a "lucky" play is discrediting the effort those 2 guys put forth to win that game. That's why it makes you look petty to say the Cats got "lucky".
Your own atheltic department called it a miracle...

https://msubobcats.com/news/2018/11/17/ ... h=football

I get it. Cats have won three in a row, no one can take that away. I hate it. Those guys blew up the Griz oline. Cats neverbquit No, stayed in it. No one is taking anything away. It just seems a bit of a stretch to be so offended when the atheltic department called it a miracle, but that is fine. I don't expect everyone to agree.

“I think I've heard every coach that's coached against the Grizzlies this year sit up here and say, ‘You know, we're better than those guys, and we can beat those guys,' ” said Kramer. “You know what? The truth is you ain't. So shut. The heck. Up.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:57 pm

GRZZ wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:31 pm
91catAlum wrote:
GRZZ wrote:
JimboCat wrote:

I get it. Cats have won three in a row, no one can take that away. I hate it. Those guys blew up the Griz oline. Cats neverbquit No, stayed in it. No one is taking anything away. It just seems a bit of a stretch to be so offended when the atheltic department called it a miracle, but that is fine. I don't expect everyone to agree.
I'm not offended, just explaining how it doesn't make griz fans look very good when you refuse to credit the team that beats you, and just explain it away as getting lucky. But I don't expect most griz fans to see that, or agree with it.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:02 pm

Forcing fumbles is a skill. Recovering fumbles is luck. Of course, the fact that the Cats had so many guys behind the line of scrimmage was also great football.

bdales30
New Recruit

Post by bdales30 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:07 pm

It blows my mind that so many griz fans keep saying we got lucky! How can it be credited to luck when we came back from being down by 22 to win on the road at your place!? We were flat out the better team! The cards were stacked against us. We were playing our bitter rivals at their place down by 22 and our team came back and won. We didn't win because of that last fumble. We won because of everything that team did leading up to it! And like a previous poster stated, that last play wasn't luck, that fumble happened because of what our players did on the field to cause that result. Luck would have been if we won because of a missed field goal or something. :roll:

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:18 pm

I do laugh at the fact that some cat fans rail on Colter for hating the Bobcats because many Griz fans feel he is was too hard on the Griz and loves the cats. All about perspective.
[/quote]

This. He's doing his job if both side think he favors the other.

4thecats
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by 4thecats » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:22 pm

I agree. The podcast is great listening. Very educated and don't talk just griz. I would suggest everyone give it a shot.

FTG_1984
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FTG_1984 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:21 am

bdales30 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:07 pm
It blows my mind that so many griz fans keep saying we got lucky!
UM is still coming to terms with the fact that MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY is the bigger, stronger, faster, smarter & (most importantly) tougher football team now. WE ARE MONTANA.

This is understandable from a psychological perspective. They were on top for so long. But their glory days are over now. They came to end over three years ago now. And there is no light at the end of their tunnel.

They're currently in the denial stage of their downward slide.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:51 am

I love when grin fans talk about us being lucky to win. In their heyday, they got lucky plenty of times. Good teams always "seem" to get lucky.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

MTmadeCat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by MTmadeCat » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:06 am

GRZZ wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
GRZZ wrote:
JimboCat wrote:

I haven’t liked them referring to the game as “Miracle in Missoula” but that reference comes from the fact that we came back from a 22–0 deficit to win. The Griz had problems fumbling the ball most of the season, and in the latter half of the season the Cats were one of the best teams in the league in takeaways. The two fumbles in that game were not a product of luck.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:16 am

MTmadeCat wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:06 am
GRZZ wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
GRZZ wrote:
JimboCat wrote:

I haven’t liked them referring to the game as “Miracle in Missoula” but that reference comes from the fact that we came back from a 22–0 deficit to win. The Griz had problems fumbling the ball most of the season, and in the latter half of the season the Cats were one of the best teams in the league in takeaways. The two fumbles in that game were not a product of luck.
Same here. It was a good play, not a miracle. The jiz had a sub .500 record at home this year. I guess we can call Weber’s win against us a miracle, since they overcame a deficit. :roll:

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:17 am

The Miracle in Missoula is a play on the old Miracle in the Meadowlands, and recently Miracle in Minnesota, etc. Hail Mary pass and so on are terms not meant to be taken literally. None of those plays were miracles or answered prayers. They just happened to occur at crucial moments in the game. The fumbled by Sneed was every bit as crucial, but happened with six minutes to go. In reality there was no luck or divine intervention involved in any of those plays. Not sure about Eastwood, but Sneed is terrible about holding onto the ball.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:35 am

GRZZ wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
GRZZ wrote:
JimboCat wrote:

I get it. We call about a dozen Griz wins as “miracles”. The Brian Ah Yat game. How about the miracle blocked Idaho State FG returned by Griz for a TD? Given all the lucky wins the Griz have had over the years, they should be renamed the University of Miracles. They will need a miracle to not reach a 30 year low in enrollment.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:49 am

JimboCat wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:27 pm
Tootell and Nuanez are including a lot more Montana State discussion, and for the most part are unbiased and give an honest opinion, that is why I listen. Some good stuff. I skip through most of the Griz discussion.

There was a guest host this time with Colter.

He also called the Cat Griz game a "lucky" win for us.

An unbiased person would say the Cat Griz game was very even and came down to one play at the end. On "the Stuff", the Griz were out coached and out played handily. I'll take that luck every time.

Just goes to show the Griz fan's mindset. If they lose, its because they were unlucky.

I won't listen anymore when they have a guest host, too biased. (No push back from Colter on the "lucky" win).
Lucky win? Did they watch the second half? They got owned on both sides of the ball (Beat Down) that half. I love how butt hurt the Griz fans are still :)

GRZZ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by GRZZ » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:25 am

I am really enjoying this :-)

1aafan, you won't get any arguments from me about Sneed needing to protect the ball better. And yes cataholic, the griz have had plenty of miracles over the years but it all seems to have been used up. Again, your athletic department referred to it as a miracle, not me.

Do we want to talk about Choate and Hauck as recruiters (you know, the thread title) or are we just going to rehash this each time a new poster sees the first post and responds without reading all of your excellent retort posts about what luck is?

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:36 am

[quote=GRZZ post_id=653738 time=1543937104 user_id=1658]
I am really enjoying this :-)

1aafan, you won't get any arguments from me about Sneed needing to protect the ball better. And yes cataholic, the griz have had plenty of miracles over the years but it all seems to have been used up. Again, your athletic department referred to it as a miracle, not me.

Do we want to talk about Choate and Hauck as recruiters (you know, the thread title) or are we just going to rehash this each time a new poster sees the first post and responds without reading all of your excellent retort posts about what luck is?
[/quote]

I would’ve said the Griz got lucky if the roles were reversed. I thought they were lucky to get up 22 and return that Kickoff to the 50. :wink:

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:54 am

So are we comparing Choate to when the Griz were king of the heap Bobby or just this last year?

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN