Will they stay or will they go...PART 2

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Will they stay or will they go...PART 2

Post by onceacat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:51 pm

I get it. There's a discrepancy between the article in October of Murrays senior year & the reports afterward. I'm just going off the earliest indication of his offer. Was it rescinded when Ash was fired & reoffered later? I have no idea, only that the newspaper reported his offer to both MSU & EWU in October. Maybe something happened in the interim...

Bsmithmsu
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bsmithmsu » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:19 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:49 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:36 pm
Bsmithmsu wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:17 pm
iaafan wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:15 pm
Bsmithmsu: just wanna be sure I’m reading you right. So, to be good a QB must be a passer and they will be good as true and redshirt frosh if they’re ever going to be good?
Obviously a good qb must be a passer however they do not have to be good as true or redshirt freshmen. However they do need to be decent as freshman and it appears none on our current roster are even decent. Coach’s comments seem to reaffirm that.
I don't think you've read all his comments about the QB's.
95% of BSmith posts are negative toward this staff. No reason to read them all.
Constructive criticism to be correct. Most posters on here are just afraid to admit it but the bobcats are not as good as they think they are. Don’t get me wrong I’m a big fan but we have to be real about it. We have no solid QBs on our roster. Good thing is the coach recognizes this and is moving forward right away instead of dragging it on hopping one of the guys on the roster works out like everyone on this board.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:22 pm

Bobcats were better this year than I thought they were. So that’s nice...

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:27 pm

Bsmithmsu wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:19 pm
Constructive criticism to be correct. Most posters on here are just afraid to admit it but the bobcats are not as good as they think they are. Don’t get me wrong I’m a big fan but we have to be real about it. We have no solid QBs on our roster. Good thing is the coach recognizes this and is moving forward right away instead of dragging it on hopping one of the guys on the roster works out like everyone on this board.
Hardly anyone,if any, are opposed to bringing in a transfer QB.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:37 pm

Bsmithmsu wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:54 am
Pretty sure everyone is over thinking this. If we had a good qb they would be the starter and if we had a decent back up they would play in garbage time. Apparently we have neither and we all know it but we still try to over look the situation hoping it is not true.
This is a very good summary of the weekly discussion about Bauman since week 1. Nobody's saying he won't become a decent/good QB but at the moment he apparently isn't or he'd be on the field.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:35 pm

iaafan wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:16 pm
Murray visited campus on January 23-24, 2016. He committed (to Choate) the Monday or Tuesday after. Ash was fired November 22, 2015.
When did he commit? He very likely committed to Choate. When was he offered? It would appear back in October 2015. Unless TomCatt88 pulled this out of his rearend:
TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:03 am
This may have been posted already.

MSU offered 6-4, 195 QB Chris Murray out of Lawndale HS in Ingelwood, Calif. He's completing over 70% of his passes and is averaging 17 yards per carry. I believe the Bobcats are his first offer. About ten minutes later EWU offered him. His team won 62-0 last night.
Probably fair to say he was an Ash recruit, signed by Choate.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:11 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:35 pm
iaafan wrote:
Murray visited campus on January 23-24, 2016. He committed (to Choate) the Monday or Tuesday after. Ash was fired November 22, 2015.
When did he commit? He very likely committed to Choate. When was he offered? It would appear back in October 2015. Unless TomCatt88 pulled this out of his rearend:
TomCat88 wrote:

MSU offered 6-4, 195 QB Chris Murray out of Lawndale HS in Ingelwood, Calif. He's completing over 70% of his passes and is averaging 17 yards per carry. I believe the Bobcats are his first offer. About ten minutes later EWU offered him. His team won 62-0 last night.
Thanks for finding that KK.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:25 pm

Bsmithmsu wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Bsmithmsu: just wanna be sure I’m reading you right. So, to be good a QB must be a passer and they will be good as true and redshirt frosh if they’re ever going to be good?
Obviously a good qb must be a passer however they do not have to be good as true or redshirt freshmen. However they do need to be decent as freshman and it appears none on our current roster are even decent. Coach’s comments seem to reaffirm that.
Matt Nichols. Do you remember that name? Not good at all as a redshirt freshman, not really decent either. We all know how that turned out. Or do you not?

Bsmithmsu
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bsmithmsu » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:47 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:25 pm
Bsmithmsu wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Matt Nichols. Do you remember that name? Not good at all as a redshirt freshman, not really decent either. We all know how that turned out. Or do you not?
Matt was a rare occasion. Funny how EWU has almost three back to back to back QBs that went pro. Two of them just played each other for the grey cup and we were only able to get one qb during that time period that was close to their skill level.

Correction- all three did go pro
Last edited by Bsmithmsu on Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:56 pm

Bsmithmsu wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:47 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Bsmithmsu wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Matt was a rare occasion. Funny how EWU has almost three back to back to back QBs that went pro. Two of them just played each other for the grey cup and we were only able to get one qb during that time period that was close to their skill level.
Also funny that they recruited Chris Murray, although we know he had plenty of things to work on when it came to passing...

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:11 pm

Bsmithmsu wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:47 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Bsmithmsu wrote:
iaafan wrote:

Correction- all three did go pro
Yes they did. But Bo Levi Mitchell transferred in as a junior. My point is performance, or lack there of as a freshman, or even a sophomore isn't indicative of career trajectory, especially at the QB position.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:28 pm

onceacat wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:11 pm
KittieKop wrote:
iaafan wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

It doesn’t matter who offered him a scholarship. Lots of coaches probably offered him one. A player can have a multitude of recruiters. Only one can call him their recruit. That’s the coach he verbally commits to and ultimately signs with. So Murray is a Choate recruit.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:05 pm

catscat wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:43 am
utucats wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:35 am
catscat wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:49 pm
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:28 pm
catsrback76 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:41 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:32 pm
catsrback76 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:14 pm
I was listening to Colter on his ESPN show the other day and he mentioned a comment Coach Choate made when asked the question:
"What is the single greatest need you have that will get your program to the next level?" or, something to that effect.

According to Colter, who can confirm this, his answer was, "My ability to recruit a QB".

I found that fascinating on several levels.

First: if anyone thinks Coach is all about playing Troy at QB next year...you're not listening. The ONLY reason he would play there is IF everyone else has broken feet!

Second: and this is where it gets interesting, how do the other QB's sitting in the room hear that?
What does Rovig think? Bauman, Beltran? How does the Coaches comment set with them? If I am hearing him talk like that as a QB waiting to get onto the field, I am not sure if it doesn't set some of them, one them on edge and they head out for greener pastures.

I like Choate's frankness when asked questions, but that may not have been a wise response unless you truly believe you have not YET got the QB in your room that you want. It's likely someone bolts.
Rovig, Bauman and Beltre all fit into the unknown answer regarding Choate’s ability to recruit a QB. So none of them should be bothered by what he said. If anyone should be bothered it’s Andersen and to a greater extent Murray. But I know you’re a Rovig guy, so what Choate said probably got your goat.
Actually I'm not a Rovig guy per se. I am a balanced QB guy, and Rovig was that option with both Murray and Andersen playing QB. I have always felt that our offence would have been a better offense with him, or any other QB ready to distribute the ball were put in.

For what it's worth, I would have loved to see Casey put into the NDSU game in the final 10 minutes just to give him some experience.
In spite of my comment questioning your sanity in the game thread with about those 10 minutes left in the game I too would have welcomed seeing Casey play. I threw in the towel on the idea sometime ago.
Maybe not NDSU, but I see no reason that he couldn't have played the last few minutes of the Inc. Word game. I think 2-3 minutes in a playoff game goes a long way to cementing loyalty. What are we telling the kid by not playing him ? - you're not good enough to hand the ball of to a running back when we are ahead by 21 points.
Or your saying that you are a true freshmen who would actually be 3rd string if it hadn’t been for injuries. If anyone wants to start at QB they’ll have to earn it. Letting them taste something that they haven’t earned is a bad message to send the rest of the team.
Nope that's not what I'm saying. No where did I come even close to saying Bauman should start anything - not even a snowblower. I guess you think that if you haven't "earned" the right to start, then you don't deserve 2 to 3 minutes of mop up time in a game that's put away. By your logic, half the team that played this year shouldn't have been able to play any time at all because they hadn't "earned" the right to be the starter at their position. I think by being on the sideline all season and potentially a main backup for at least half of it, he "earned" two to three minutes of playing time.
If these 2-3 minutes are as insignificant as you suggest then why is it important that Bauman get them? My thought is who cares, all the QBs have every opportunity to have this job if they put in the time and effort to earn it.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:08 pm

First year of red shirt rule. Without it no-one even questions Bauman not playing. With it, we still had a lot of freshman not play not just QB. I swear there are still some on here just convinced we needed to put an inexperienced young guy in just to throw the ball. I wonder how quickly they would have turned on him if he threw a few picks and we lost one of the games we managed to win with our non throwing QB.

Sports is not bigger than life

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:40 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:28 pm
onceacat wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
iaafan wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

It doesn’t matter who offered him a scholarship. Lots of coaches probably offered him one. A player can have a multitude of recruiters. Only one can call him their recruit. That’s the coach he verbally commits to and ultimately signs with. So Murray is a Choate recruit.
We should probably change the "Recruits" discussion thread titles then, since none of them on there are MSU recruits. What are they, "offered athletes?" They only become recruits when they're signed? So is it really "recruiting day" in February when all the athletes send in those letters? Thought it was "signing day". So they become "recruits" after signing? I thought you were a recruit when you were, you know, recruited....offered to come here.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:01 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
iaafan wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

It sounds to me like you are saying that Chris Murray is one of Choate's failures at recruiting QB. I hope that's not what you are saying, but if Choate recruited Chris, and Choate has only recruited "not-so-great" QBs, well, then, I guess we can all see the end results of that syllogism.

I think thats sort of disparaging for Chris, which was the whole point of the thread.

Hope that's not the point you are trying to make.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:09 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:40 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
iaafan wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

We should probably change the "Recruits" discussion thread titles then, since none of them on there are MSU recruits. What are they, "offered athletes?" They only become recruits when they're signed? So is it really "recruiting day" in February when all the athletes send in those letters? Thought it was "signing day". So they become "recruits" after signing? I thought you were a recruit when you were, you know, recruited....offered to come here.
Recruiting is a 6 month long process that starts with the recruiter identifying talented recruits who might fit into your system, then whittling down that group of potential recruits to realistic "gets", then meeting the recruitss, the parents, the coaches and pitching them on your school/staff/team, ...maybe they make a campus visit before, maybe after the offer. . . After all that, if it's a good fit, the recruiter makes an offer to the recruit a few months in. Then the recruit evaluates all of the offers and decides if he wants to become a commit. Then, on signing day, I guess if he faxes in his letter of intent, he becomes a recruit.

I don't like it when people get credit for work they don't do. I think one of the classiest things Choate did in his 3 years here is keep all the offers made to the recruits of the previous coaching staff. And he deserves credit for getting most of them across the finish line.

But being on the dumb end of the fax when a kid (recruit?) sends in his Letter of Intent doesn't make that kid your recruit.

IMHO

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:52 pm

utucats wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:05 pm
catscat wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:43 am
utucats wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:35 am
catscat wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:49 pm
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:28 pm
catsrback76 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:41 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:32 pm
catsrback76 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:14 pm
I was listening to Colter on his ESPN show the other day and he mentioned a comment Coach Choate made when asked the question:
"What is the single greatest need you have that will get your program to the next level?" or, something to that effect.

According to Colter, who can confirm this, his answer was, "My ability to recruit a QB".

I found that fascinating on several levels.

First: if anyone thinks Coach is all about playing Troy at QB next year...you're not listening. The ONLY reason he would play there is IF everyone else has broken feet!

Second: and this is where it gets interesting, how do the other QB's sitting in the room hear that?
What does Rovig think? Bauman, Beltran? How does the Coaches comment set with them? If I am hearing him talk like that as a QB waiting to get onto the field, I am not sure if it doesn't set some of them, one them on edge and they head out for greener pastures.

I like Choate's frankness when asked questions, but that may not have been a wise response unless you truly believe you have not YET got the QB in your room that you want. It's likely someone bolts.
Rovig, Bauman and Beltre all fit into the unknown answer regarding Choate’s ability to recruit a QB. So none of them should be bothered by what he said. If anyone should be bothered it’s Andersen and to a greater extent Murray. But I know you’re a Rovig guy, so what Choate said probably got your goat.
Actually I'm not a Rovig guy per se. I am a balanced QB guy, and Rovig was that option with both Murray and Andersen playing QB. I have always felt that our offence would have been a better offense with him, or any other QB ready to distribute the ball were put in.

For what it's worth, I would have loved to see Casey put into the NDSU game in the final 10 minutes just to give him some experience.
In spite of my comment questioning your sanity in the game thread with about those 10 minutes left in the game I too would have welcomed seeing Casey play. I threw in the towel on the idea sometime ago.
Maybe not NDSU, but I see no reason that he couldn't have played the last few minutes of the Inc. Word game. I think 2-3 minutes in a playoff game goes a long way to cementing loyalty. What are we telling the kid by not playing him ? - you're not good enough to hand the ball of to a running back when we are ahead by 21 points.
Or your saying that you are a true freshmen who would actually be 3rd string if it hadn’t been for injuries. If anyone wants to start at QB they’ll have to earn it. Letting them taste something that they haven’t earned is a bad message to send the rest of the team.
Nope that's not what I'm saying. No where did I come even close to saying Bauman should start anything - not even a snowblower. I guess you think that if you haven't "earned" the right to start, then you don't deserve 2 to 3 minutes of mop up time in a game that's put away. By your logic, half the team that played this year shouldn't have been able to play any time at all because they hadn't "earned" the right to be the starter at their position. I think by being on the sideline all season and potentially a main backup for at least half of it, he "earned" two to three minutes of playing time.
If these 2-3 minutes are as insignificant as you suggest then why is it important that Bauman get them? My thought is who cares, all the QBs have every opportunity to have this job if they put in the time and effort to earn it.
Oh, I guess I see your point. I was under the apparently mistaken impression that Bauman has been on the team all year putting in time and effort practicing and preparing to be as ready as possible in the event that he turned out to be the next man up. Since he just showed up on the sideline for the Incarnate Word game, I certainly was mistaken to think he should play a single snap.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:03 am

KittieKop wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:40 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
iaafan wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

So you’re calling Murray an Ash recruit? Even though he never committed to Ash? Please answer “yes.” Are all the players that committed to other schools also Ash recruits? Every single UM player that Ash tried to get to MSU isn’t avPflugrad or Delaney or Stitt recruit, they’re all Ash recruits, because if Ash tries recruiting that kid he’s Ash’s recruit and not the coach that player actually committed to.

Okay, I got it now. Thanks. Chris Murray, who committed and signed for Jeff Choate is a Rob Ash recruit, not a jeff Choate recruit. Thanks for enlightening me. The real reason Murray came to MSU is Ash. Even though he was fired two months before Murray committed.

The Marine Corps Recruit Depot is probably a boot camp for the Army. Since the Army was also recruiting some of those recruits who just happen to be at MCRD.

This is fun. I like it. If I try to date Jessica Alba and she says no and goes out with someone else I can now say she’s my date.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:31 am

Holy cow guys. ](*,)