Will they stay or will they go...PART 2

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: Will they stay or will they go...PART 2

Post by AFCAT » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:02 am

2-B-Champ wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:21 am
onceacat wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:43 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:32 pm
catsrback76 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:14 pm
I was listening to Colter on his ESPN show the other day and he mentioned a comment Coach Choate made when asked the question:
"What is the single greatest need you have that will get your program to the next level?" or, something to that effect.

According to Colter, who can confirm this, his answer was, "My ability to recruit a QB".

I found that fascinating on several levels.

First: if anyone thinks Coach is all about playing Troy at QB next year...you're not listening. The ONLY reason he would play there is IF everyone else has broken feet!

Second: and this is where it gets interesting, how do the other QB's sitting in the room hear that?
What does Rovig think? Bauman, Beltran? How does the Coaches comment set with them? If I am hearing him talk like that as a QB waiting to get onto the field, I am not sure if it doesn't set some of them, one them on edge and they head out for greener pastures.

I like Choate's frankness when asked questions, but that may not have been a wise response unless you truly believe you have not YET got the QB in your room that you want. It's likely someone bolts.
Rovig, Bauman and Beltre all fit into the unknown answer regarding Choate’s ability to recruit a QB. So none of them should be bothered by what he said. If anyone should be bothered it’s Andersen and to a greater extent Murray. But I know you’re a Rovig guy, so what Choate said probably got your goat.
First, Choate didn't recruit Murray. Second, he didn't recruit Troy as a QB.

If Bauman/Beltran/Rovig are going to bolt after this comment, then I think they already had a foot out the door.
Well I know for a fact that Coach Choate recruited Chris. He was pretty excited about him when he came here on his official visit.

Choate did recruit Chris. Chris mentioned his recruiting process in a interview he did with the Chronicle.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:10 am

When NDSU brought in their 2's or 3's midway thru the 4th quarter it would have been a great time to play Casey. Y'all are reading too much into this discussion. Get your young guys some experience when you can. Rovig's feelings are not a concern. My other thought was that if Troy or any of our key players got hurt during mop-up time it would have been really bad. Troy for sure should have came out.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:31 am

1. Murray was not a Choate Recruit. He was inherited from Ash.

2. Listen to NDSU, a major key to their success is depth with veteran players. We are deep with under class-man , they are deep with upper class -man. We need to get to that point.

3. If we can recruit a QB such as Gresh that comes in as a Jr. and Sr. by then Rovig or Bauman will be ready to take the next step. For us to be a top 4 team, we, IMO, need our depth to be Soph's, JR's and SR's.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:46 am

Sorry superbobcat, but Ash got fired. No one in the class of 2016 is anything other than a Choate recruit. Once Ash got fired all the players that committed to MSU and decided to stay with Choate became Choate’s recruits.

Bsmithmsu
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bsmithmsu » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:54 am

Pretty sure everyone is over thinking this. If we had a good qb they would be the starter and if we had a decent back up they would play in garbage time. Apparently we have neither and we all know it but we still try to over look the situation hoping it is not true.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:04 pm

superbobcat wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:31 am
1. Murray was not a Choate Recruit. He was inherited from Ash.

2. Listen to NDSU, a major key to their success is depth with veteran players. We are deep with under class-man , they are deep with upper class -man. We need to get to that point.

3. If we can recruit a QB such as Gresh that comes in as a Jr. and Sr. by then Rovig or Bauman will be ready to take the next step. For us to be a top 4 team, we, IMO, need our depth to be Soph's, JR's and SR's.
Murray was 100% a Jeff Choate recruit. Reached out to him late in the process when they didn't get Eric Barriere....EWU's current starter.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:10 pm

I stand corrected. I remember reading when he was first hired that Ash and staff had CM on the board as a recruit and he was one of the few that Choate kept when he took over. It must have been someone else. I never doubt VIM! Thanks for correcting me.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:15 pm

Bsmithmsu: just wanna be sure I’m reading you right. So, to be good a QB must be a passer and they will be good as true and redshirt frosh if they’re ever going to be good?

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:33 pm

superbobcat wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:10 pm
I stand corrected. I remember reading when he was first hired that Ash and staff had CM on the board as a recruit and he was one of the few that Choate kept when he took over. It must have been someone else. I never doubt VIM! Thanks for correcting me.
Chris was recruited by Ash. He had an offer in October-its on one of the 2016 recruiting threads. Choate chose to honor all of the offers that Ash extended, so I think its fair to say that this years JR class is part Choate/part Ash...But Choate did not go out and find Murray and extend the offer. Choate honored the offer that Murray already had.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:48 pm

onceacat wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:33 pm
superbobcat wrote:
Chris was recruited by Ash. He had an offer in October-its on one of the 2016 recruiting threads. Choate chose to honor all of the offers that Ash extended, so I think its fair to say that this years JR class is part Choate/part Ash...But Choate did not go out and find Murray and extend the offer. Choate honored the offer that Murray already had.
Not according to Chris Murray. Chris didn’t get his offer from MSU until shortly before national signing day. He mentions the recruiting process in an interview he did with the chronicle.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:11 pm

onceacat wrote:
superbobcat wrote:
Wrong again.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:18 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:48 pm
onceacat wrote:
superbobcat wrote:
Not according to Chris Murray. Chris didn’t get his offer from MSU until shortly before national signing day. He mentions the recruiting process in an interview he did with the chronicle.
I cant search the forum right now, but the article in the Chronicle contradicts an article that Chris gave a local paper a few months earlier. Chris clearly told his local paper in October that he had offers from EWU & MSU-2 or 3 months before Ash was fired.

Obviously either the Chronicle or the article I linked to on that thread is wrong. I've been misquoted by the Chronicle on more than one occasion, so I don't find their 2017 article nearly as convincing as Chris' hometown paper in 2016.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:28 pm

Heres the article from Lawndale during Chris' senior year. Last paragraph or so, it says he has offers from MSU & EWU.

https://www.dailybreeze.com/2015/10/28/ ... -football/

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:16 pm

Murray visited campus on January 23-24, 2016. He committed (to Choate) the Monday or Tuesday after. Ash was fired November 22, 2015.

Bsmithmsu
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bsmithmsu » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:17 pm

iaafan wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:15 pm
Bsmithmsu: just wanna be sure I’m reading you right. So, to be good a QB must be a passer and they will be good as true and redshirt frosh if they’re ever going to be good?
Obviously a good qb must be a passer however they do not have to be good as true or redshirt freshmen. However they do need to be decent as freshman and it appears none on our current roster are even decent. Coach’s comments seem to reaffirm that.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:21 pm

It doesn’t appear that way to me. It appears they’re progressing in a manner that most QBs progress upon entering a college football program.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:36 pm

Bsmithmsu wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:17 pm
iaafan wrote:
Obviously a good qb must be a passer however they do not have to be good as true or redshirt freshmen. However they do need to be decent as freshman and it appears none on our current roster are even decent. Coach’s comments seem to reaffirm that.
I don't think you've read all his comments about the QB's.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:46 pm

onceacat wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:28 pm
Heres the article from Lawndale during Chris' senior year. Last paragraph or so, it says he has offers from MSU & EWU.

This was covered in an earlier thread. I even recall you were part of that discussion as it revolved around QB development. As you can see from his area newspaper, Murray didn’t commit until until late January. Choate was actively recruiting him as Ash had been gone since late November. Other articles indicate that Murray was waiting for EWU but Eric Barrierre committed to EWU essentially pulling their offer from Murray.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:49 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:36 pm
Bsmithmsu wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:17 pm
iaafan wrote:
I don't think you've read all his comments about the QB's.
95% of BSmith posts are negative toward this staff. No reason to read them all.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:33 pm

onceacat wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:28 pm

Up in the air.

Chris Murray anxiously shifted in his seat as the plane steadily climbed, charting a course south and east toward Los Angeles. Toward home. Toward the unknown.

He slipped on his headphones.

“I tried to clear my head, but that was literally impossible,” he admitted recently. “It’s just human nature, I guess.”

He appreciated the honesty, but not the uncertainty. The previous months brimmed with it, so much so that the 17-year-old occasionally was reduced to tears and had to be consoled by his mother, Hilda Valenzuela.

The Lawndale High senior departed his official visit at Montana State the weekend before 2016’s National Signing Day with no offer, but a promise. Newly-appointed head coach Jeff Choate said he still was considering extending a scholarship to one of two signal-callers — the lanky Southern Californian and the other, admittedly, a long shot who had garnered scores of attention.

Murray, who said he had no other offers, would have an answer by the time he landed, Choate assured him.

“I honestly don’t know what I would’ve been doing if I wasn’t in Bozeman right now, to tell you the truth,” Murray said. “I don’t know if I’d be at a (junior college) or if I would’ve just said screw it, you know?”

Not long after rubber collided with the LAX tarmac, Murray pulled out his phone. With eyes glued to the screen, he switched it on.

Choate would call minutes later.

The youngster’s life would change.