Will they stay or will they go...PART 2

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Will they stay or will they go...PART 2

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:14 pm

I was listening to Colter on his ESPN show the other day and he mentioned a comment Coach Choate made when asked the question:
"What is the single greatest need you have that will get your program to the next level?" or, something to that effect.

According to Colter, who can confirm this, his answer was, "My ability to recruit a QB".

I found that fascinating on several levels.

First: if anyone thinks Coach is all about playing Troy at QB next year...you're not listening. The ONLY reason he would play there is IF everyone else has broken feet!

Second: and this is where it gets interesting, how do the other QB's sitting in the room hear that?
What does Rovig think? Bauman, Beltran? How does the Coaches comment set with them? If I am hearing him talk like that as a QB waiting to get onto the field, I am not sure if it doesn't set some of them, one them on edge and they head out for greener pastures.

I like Choate's frankness when asked questions, but that may not have been a wise response unless you truly believe you have not YET got the QB in your room that you want. It's likely someone bolts.

JimboCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Will they stay or will they go...PART 2

Post by JimboCat » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:27 pm

Coach has proven he is honest and straight forward. Everyone on the team knows exactly where they stand.

I'm guessing he is telling the QB's on the team that they have a chance, if they keep improving, to be the starter. Every position is open to competition, and the best player will start.

I'm curious how many QB's he wants to start spring ball with.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:32 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:14 pm
I was listening to Colter on his ESPN show the other day and he mentioned a comment Coach Choate made when asked the question:
"What is the single greatest need you have that will get your program to the next level?" or, something to that effect.

According to Colter, who can confirm this, his answer was, "My ability to recruit a QB".

First: if anyone thinks Coach is all about playing Troy at QB next year...you're not listening. The ONLY reason he would play there is IF everyone else has broken feet!

Second: and this is where it gets interesting, how do the other QB's sitting in the room hear that?
What does Rovig think? Bauman, Beltran? How does the Coaches comment set with them? If I am hearing him talk like that as a QB waiting to get onto the field, I am not sure if it doesn't set some of them, one them on edge and they head out for greener pastures.

I like Choate's frankness when asked questions, but that may not have been a wise response unless you truly believe you have not YET got the QB in your room that you want. It's likely someone bolts.
Rovig, Bauman and Beltre all fit into the unknown answer regarding Choate’s ability to recruit a QB. So none of them should be bothered by what he said. If anyone should be bothered it’s Andersen and to a greater extent Murray. But I know you’re a Rovig guy, so what Choate said probably got your goat.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:41 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:32 pm
catsrback76 wrote:

Rovig, Bauman and Beltre all fit into the unknown answer regarding Choate’s ability to recruit a QB. So none of them should be bothered by what he said. If anyone should be bothered it’s Andersen and to a greater extent Murray. But I know you’re a Rovig guy, so what Choate said probably got your goat.
Actually I'm not a Rovig guy per se. I am a balanced QB guy, and Rovig was that option with both Murray and Andersen playing QB. I have always felt that our offence would have been a better offense with him, or any other QB ready to distribute the ball were put in.

For what it's worth, I would have loved to see Casey put into the NDSU game in the final 10 minutes just to give him some experience.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:43 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

First, Choate didn't recruit Murray. Second, he didn't recruit Troy as a QB.

If Bauman/Beltran/Rovig are going to bolt after this comment, then I think they already had a foot out the door.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:06 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:43 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

If Bauman/Beltran/Rovig are going to bolt after this comment, then I think they already had a foot out the door.
Maybe, and I get his philosophy of, "my job is to replace you..."!

But being willing to develop also entails some level of "if I produce then I'll play" from a player/coach side. The only guy who has to date been on the field is Rovig and his 2 starts would indicate he has the skills and the aptitude to be our "next guy". But, if the idea is planted that "I'm on to the next guy, who isn't even here yet..." then I think it can be problematic. Just my thoughts.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:20 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:06 pm
onceacat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

Maybe, and I get his philosophy of, "my job is to replace you..."!

But being willing to develop also entails some level of "if I produce then I'll play" from a player/coach side. The only guy who has to date been on the field is Rovig and his 2 starts would indicate he has the skills and the aptitude to be our "next guy". But, if the idea is planted that "I'm on to the next guy, who isn't even here yet..." then I think it can be problematic. Just my thoughts.
Reminds me of the McQueary situation. Would he have stuck around if Ash had given him a chance in that Cat/Griz debacle? Wouldn't have hurt. I probably would have left in that situation too.

Now you've got 3 QBs who look to be studs as either Freshmen or Sophomores. Say Gresh or Modster comes here & wins the job. Does Rovig stick around knowing he'll only get 1 year to start (barring injury, of course) AND knowing that he's got Bauman competing too? Same deal with Bauman & Beltran...although each of them would potentially have 2 years if they got beat out.

The calculus on that is totally different for every kid. McQueary got to light it up at Tech as an all time Frontier great...Jordan Hoy bounced around and started something like 5 D1 games. Depends a lot on how much you want to be the man, what value you place on your education, how much you like being on this particular team, how much you like Bozeman, how much you miss your mom...

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:24 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:41 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

Actually I'm not a Rovig guy per se. I am a balanced QB guy, and Rovig was that option with both Murray and Andersen playing QB. I have always felt that our offence would have been a better offense with him, or any other QB ready to distribute the ball were put in.

For what it's worth, I would have loved to see Casey put into the NDSU game in the final 10 minutes just to give him some experience.
That's not a game you put that kid in. Wouldn't be fair to the rest of the team, or him.

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:28 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

In spite of my comment questioning your sanity in the game thread with about those 10 minutes left in the game I too would have welcomed seeing Casey play. I threw in the towel on the idea sometime ago.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:49 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:28 pm
catsrback76 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

In spite of my comment questioning your sanity in the game thread with about those 10 minutes left in the game I too would have welcomed seeing Casey play. I threw in the towel on the idea sometime ago.
Maybe not NDSU, but I see no reason that he couldn't have played the last few minutes of the Inc. Word game. I think 2-3 minutes in a playoff game goes a long way to cementing loyalty. What are we telling the kid by not playing him ? - you're not good enough to hand the ball of to a running back when we are ahead by 21 points.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:35 am

catscat wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:49 pm
Joe Bobcat wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

Maybe not NDSU, but I see no reason that he couldn't have played the last few minutes of the Inc. Word game. I think 2-3 minutes in a playoff game goes a long way to cementing loyalty. What are we telling the kid by not playing him ? - you're not good enough to hand the ball of to a running back when we are ahead by 21 points.
Or your saying that you are a true freshmen who would actually be 3rd string if it hadn’t been for injuries. If anyone wants to start at QB they’ll have to earn it. Letting them taste something that they haven’t earned is a bad message to send the rest of the team.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:51 am

onceacat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

Choate didn’t have to honor Murray’s commitment. So, yes, he is a Choate recruit. Also, Murray may very well have decided to re-open his recruitment after Ash was fired. No one knows. Neither Bauman, Beltran nor Rovig has played enough to determine if Choate can recruit quarterbacks or not based on them. So IF they’re butt hurt about that comment (and they’re almost certainly not) it would reflect poorly on their psyches.

Quarterbacks transfer all the time.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:16 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:51 am
onceacat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

Choate didn’t have to honor Murray’s commitment. So, yes, he is a Choate recruit. Also, Murray may very well have decided to re-open his recruitment after Ash was fired. No one knows. Neither Bauman, Beltran nor Rovig has played enough to determine if Choate can recruit quarterbacks or not based on them. So IF they’re butt hurt about that comment (and they’re almost certainly not) it would reflect poorly on their psyches.

Quarterbacks transfer all the time.
We shall see, I find this whole thing somewhat fascinating and nothing would surprise me with this issue. We certainly have a lot of bodies potentially in that room in a couple of months. I doubt all stay.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:08 am

Well one thing is for sure. MSU leads the conference in the most interesting off seasons every year.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

catscat

Post by catscat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:43 am

utucats wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:35 am
catscat wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

Or your saying that you are a true freshmen who would actually be 3rd string if it hadn’t been for injuries. If anyone wants to start at QB they’ll have to earn it. Letting them taste something that they haven’t earned is a bad message to send the rest of the team.
Nope that's not what I'm saying. No where did I come even close to saying Bauman should start anything - not even a snowblower. I guess you think that if you haven't "earned" the right to start, then you don't deserve 2 to 3 minutes of mop up time in a game that's put away. By your logic, half the team that played this year shouldn't have been able to play any time at all because they hadn't "earned" the right to be the starter at their position. I think by being on the sideline all season and potentially a main backup for at least half of it, he "earned" two to three minutes of playing time.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:48 am

catscat wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:43 am
utucats wrote:
catscat wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

Nope that's not what I'm saying. No where did I come even close to saying Bauman should start anything - not even a snowblower. I guess you think that if you haven't "earned" the right to start, then you don't deserve 2 to 3 minutes of mop up time in a game that's put away. By your logic, half the team that played this year shouldn't have been able to play any time at all because they hadn't "earned" the right to be the starter at their position. I think by being on the sideline all season and potentially a main backup for at least half of it, he "earned" two to three minutes of playing time.
I think everyone is missing an important detail. If you put Bauman in the game and he is even average than I believe you have a higher likelihood of losing Rovig in the offseason. As it stands Rovig has the leg up because of an extra year and game experience while the true freshman has to “earn it”. I think Choate did exactly what needed to be done to create competition and have the best chance of keeping everyone around for another year

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:05 am

catgrad05 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:48 am
catscat wrote:
utucats wrote:
catscat wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

I think everyone is missing an important detail. If you put Bauman in the game and he is even average than I believe you have a higher likelihood of losing Rovig in the offseason. As it stands Rovig has the leg up because of an extra year and game experience while the true freshman has to “earn it”. I think Choate did exactly what needed to be done to create competition and have the best chance of keeping everyone around for another year
Considering the fact that Rovig was going to become our starting QB before he broke his foot, that might very well be why nobody was played! Good point!

catscat

Q

Post by catscat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:09 am

catgrad05 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:48 am
catscat wrote:
utucats wrote:
catscat wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

Or, Rovig says, "Hey, if I weren't hurt that would be me out there playing in a playoff game." I would hope Rovig is not so thin skinned that he'd think Bauman had somehow jumped him in the depth chart just because Bauman played for two or three minutes of mop up time. I'm sure all of the QB hopefuls recognize that they will have to compete with each other, Andersen, and anyone else recruited to play QB, if they want to start next year. I think many of us would agree that the more game time reps backups get, the better for their overall development and this seems to be the case on our team for every position but QB.

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:16 am

If playing CB for a few minutes would shake up TR enough that he would fall off the tree then he would obviously be too fragile of a leaf for a team that is headed where we are to want on the tree.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

2-B-Champ
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 2-B-Champ » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:21 am

onceacat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

Well I know for a fact that Coach Choate recruited Chris. He was pretty excited about him when he came here on his official visit.