Will they stay or will they go...PART 2

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Will they stay or will they go...PART 2

Post by Long Time Cat » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:19 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:28 pm
If Rovig is still here next year I would be shocked.

This tweet seems to indicate otherwise, unless you think he will be asked to leave because he's not good enough.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:24 pm

Again I will be shocked if he is here come fall. Andersen and Buaman are better right now than Tucker, and Jensen is better than both Troy and Casey, so kind of.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:07 pm

Just keep TA and all that speed in the backfield and run Triple option next year. OL will dominate.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:35 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:24 pm
Again I will be shocked if he is here come fall. Andersen and Buaman are better right now than Tucker, and Jensen is better than both Troy and Casey, so kind of.
You need a good QB in each class. What do we have? Potentially. Jensen/Modster-Junior; Rovig-Sophmore; Bauman/Beltran-Freshman; A couple of HS recruits coming in as Redshirts. Not a bad situation so I think Rovig stays and I hope TA is done playing QB except for a little wildcat now and then.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:32 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Andersen isn't playing QB again.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:43 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:32 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Never said he was. I said he and bauman are better than Rovig and when they bring a QB in he really will be on the outside looking in.

If your left, you aren’t right.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:59 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:43 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:32 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Never said he was. I said he and bauman are better than Rovig and when they bring a QB in he really will be on the outside looking in.
And how do you know this? Honest question? Rovig has at least 1 full game that he played well in. What have you seen Bauman do that gives you the impression he's already better? Andersen is a better leader but I wouldn't say better QB. They were looking to swap them until Rovig's injury.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:13 am

Long Time Cat wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:19 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:

This tweet seems to indicate otherwise, unless you think he will be asked to leave because he's not good enough.
If he steps up, he's got the tools. I guess we'll find out at spring ball. If we have a number 1 QB coming out of spring ball, I'm going to feel really good about next season.

Anacomando
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Anacomando » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:34 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
I like Rovig. He can win the job. If Jensen comes in I think he is the favorite. Rovig may leave then, but he can play successfully at this level IMO.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:50 pm

Not saying anything about any guys in particular but the whole "I'm not the starter as a freshman or sophomore I'm leaving" thing is such garbage to me. It's an epidemic in athletics these days and frankly it's pathetic. Stick around, work your a**off and win the job. Nobody knows when a guy may go down, be out because of grades, or underperform and the next man is up. If any of our current QBs leave because they don't win the job, then they weren't meant to be in this program anyway.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:51 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:50 pm
Not saying anything about any guys in particular but the whole "I'm not the starter as a freshman or sophomore I'm leaving" thing is such garbage to me. It's an epidemic in athletics these days and frankly it's pathetic. Stick around, work your a**off and win the job. Nobody knows when a guy may go down, be out because of grades, or underperform and the next man is up. If any of our current QBs leave because they don't win the job, then they weren't meant to be in this program anyway.
While I absolutely concur with the general point you are making, the OP was about how people potentially could be processing this from Coach.

"What is the single greatest need you have that will get your program to the next level?" or, something to that effect.

According to Colter, who can confirm this, his answer was, "My ability to recruit a QB".

I don't think this has anything to do with entitled attitudes held by incoming freshmen per se, but more to do with the perception of a reality that may or may not exist in the Coach's mind regarding who is currently in the room!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:08 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
That’s all fine and I guess I agree to a point but then we should hold the coaches to the same standard. If they’re allowed to move on and better their situation the wby shouldn’t the kids be able to do the same thing? Just seems to be a huge double standard when this topic comes up.

And I disagree it’s an “epidemic these days” as kids have been transferring from one school to another forever.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:27 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:51 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
While I absolutely concur with the general point you are making, the OP was about how people potentially could be processing this from Coach.

"What is the single greatest need you have that will get your program to the next level?" or, something to that effect.

According to Colter, who can confirm this, his answer was, "My ability to recruit a QB".

I don't think this has anything to do with entitled attitudes held by incoming freshmen per se, but more to do with the perception of a reality that may or may not exist in the Coach's mind regarding who is currently in the room!
Oh I agree my post wasn't really about the OP, more the will they stay or go in general, regardless of how things shake out. I've always taken issue with guys transfering for nothing more than playing time. I'm sure we have benefited from those transfers, I'm just not a fan.

If I heard my coach say something along the lines of what Choate said it would drive me to show that a great QB recruit is already in the room.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:34 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:08 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
That’s all fine and I guess I agree to a point but then we should hold the coaches to the same standard. If they’re allowed to move on and better their situation the wby shouldn’t the kids be able to do the same thing? Just seems to be a huge double standard when this topic comes up.

And I disagree it’s an “epidemic these days” as kids have been transferring from one school to another forever.
Epidemic might have been an exaggeration yes. However the transfer rates are up since the early 2000s. I read an article that said 40 percent of D1 student athletes transfer by the end of sophomore year from their 1st school. Obviously that's not all athletes who are unhappy with playing time etc. But that's a huge number.

And I disagree that coaches should be held to the same standard. Coaching is their profession. Hundreds of thousand, sometimes millions of dollars are being paid to them to do a job. The young men playing for them, playing for the school, are being given the opportunity to play a sport and get an education, sometimes for free.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:53 am

I don’t know what the top reason for transferring is, but I know there’s several different reasons. Personal, school, atmosphere, teammates, girlfriend, acknowledge that you aren’t good enough, you know another school wants you etc.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:54 am

A piece of that puzzle you are leaving out is guys who signed on specifically to play for a coach, and then that coach isn't there anymore. That number probably doesn't constitute a high percentage of transfers but can you fault a kid for that? It's such a relationship game.

But in reality 99.99% of athletes aren't going to go pro. You have 4 years to play the game you love. Football in particular is such an odd sport in that there is no way to play football outside of organized leagues. You don't just go down to the YMCA and play a pick up game of tackle football. Unless you want to try your hand at a lower level professional league, of which there are several, you're days playing padded tackle football are over. If you just finished year 3 in a program (1 year redshirted), haven't seen any playing time, you have a choice. Fight to win some playing time, which hasn't happened for 2 years, or go somewhere you can play right away and play the last 2 years of football you'll ever play.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:04 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:34 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

Epidemic might have been an exaggeration yes. However the transfer rates are up since the early 2000s. I read an article that said 40 percent of D1 student athletes transfer by the end of sophomore year from their 1st school. Obviously that's not all athletes who are unhappy with playing time etc. But that's a huge number.

And I disagree that coaches should be held to the same standard. Coaching is their profession. Hundreds of thousand, sometimes millions of dollars are being paid to them to do a job. The young men playing for them, playing for the school, are being given the opportunity to play a sport and get an education, sometimes for free.
I respect your opinion. We just fundamentally disagree on this topic. Because don't even get me started on athletes, opportunities and "free" education! I don't think kids are comphenstated NEARLY enough in terms of the money they bring to their schools and like you mentioned...their coaches. But that is a topic for another day.

While the differences beyween coaches and players is obvious, in regards to this topic I think they should be viewed the same. Commitment is commitment. In a perfect world every coach who signed a contract would fulfill it. Every player who committed to a school would honor it. But that is very simplistic. Coaches are always going to do what in the long run is best for themselves, their families and their careers. There is not a person on this board who wouldn't leave their job today in an opportunity presented itself that was a much better fit with more opportunity.

Just because I'm a fan of a team doesn't mean these kids need to be held to some kind of higher moral standard than anyone else. I don't care if it's my favorite kid who's ever suited up for the cats; if he thinks he has more opportunities somewhere else, who am I to say he's wrong?

Like I said I understand your opinion. But fundamentally we couldn't be farther away from each other on this topic.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:23 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:04 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

I respect your opinion. We just fundamentally disagree on this topic. Because don't even get me started on athletes, opportunities and "free" education! I don't think kids are comphenstated NEARLY enough in terms of the money they bring to their schools and like you mentioned...their coaches. But that is a topic for another day.

While the differences beyween coaches and players is obvious, in regards to this topic I think they should be viewed the same. Commitment is commitment. In a perfect world every coach who signed a contract would fulfill it. Every player who committed to a school would honor it. But that is very simplistic. Coaches are always going to do what in the long run is best for themselves, their families and their careers. There is not a person on this board who wouldn't leave their job today in an opportunity presented itself that was a much better fit with more opportunity.

Just because I'm a fan of a team doesn't mean these kids need to be held to some kind of higher moral standard than anyone else. I don't care if it's my favorite kid who's ever suited up for the cats; if he thinks he has more opportunities somewhere else, who am I to say he's wrong?

Like I said I understand your opinion. But fundamentally we couldn't be farther away from each other on this topic.
Fair enough that we agree to disagree. My issue is more with a guy like Kelly Bryant, than a guy who graduates, wants to play for someone bigger and better and leaves for a year. Or a guy that just doesn't fit the team culture, or the school isn't right for him etc. And I also agree with you that players should be getting compensated more for the revenue they bring to the school. I was just saying they are still at least getting an education a lot of times that is free, where as regular Joe may be paying 40 or 50 grand for that education.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:40 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:23 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:04 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

Fair enough that we agree to disagree. My issue is more with a guy like Kelly Bryant, than a guy who graduates, wants to play for someone bigger and better and leaves for a year. Or a guy that just doesn't fit the team culture, or the school isn't right for him etc. And I also agree with you that players should be getting compensated more for the revenue they bring to the school. I was just saying they are still at least getting an education a lot of times that is free, where as regular Joe may be paying 40 or 50 grand for that education.
See and I think guys like Bryant are a perfect example of what kids should do to allow a better opportunity!

He sat behind a great qb in Watson for 2 seasons. He's named the starter and leads his team to the national championship! They bring in a stud freshman who becomes starter. Now, he could back up Lawrence and that'd a be a great teammate thing for him to do and I'd love it. But I also have no problem with a guy like that going to a better situation and setting himself up in the future. When Cam Newton left Florida for Auburn it turned out to be the best thing he ever did for his career.

Basically, Dabo did what he felt was best for the team and ultimately for himself when he replaced Bryant with the freshman. I'm fine with that. But I'm also fine with Bryant trusting his talent and thinking he's better than a backup and moving on to try and prove that.

Just my opinion...