Andersen. Offense or Defense?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bsmithmsu
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Andersen. Offense or Defense?

Post by Bsmithmsu » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:33 pm

What about putting him at DE? Might be something worth trying with his speed and ability to go 100% every play. He would only need to put about 30lb or so.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:38 pm

my favorite part about this whole debate-

"what position should Troy Play????? QB??? RB??? Safety???? Buck end????….."

Here is a thought- 99% of people out there agree that he has a legit shot at becoming an NFL Linebacker...…………………………………. call me crazy, but if he is good enough to play LB in the NFL.... maybe, JUST MAYBE, he should be a LB at the college level.

:-k :-k :-k

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Bsmithmsu
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bsmithmsu » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:45 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:38 pm

Here is a thought- 99% of people out there agree that he has a legit shot at becoming an NFL Linebacker...…………………………………. call me crazy, but if he is good enough to play LB in the NFL.... maybe, JUST MAYBE, he should be a LB at the college level.

I also find that funny for a guy that has played very few snaps at LB ever and he is good enough to play FBS? It’s going to be tough finding a place for him next year.

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:28 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:57 am
RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:40 pm
I fully expect Andersen to be replaced, but not by Rovig. I wasn't impressed with him. The pursuit of transfers seems to indicate that the staff would prefer a starting QB not currently on the roster.
I'm guessing either Jensen or Modster commits this week.

Andersen should play both ways, but about 75 percent at LB and 25 percent at RB. MSU needs Andersen at LB next year.

You need to factor in that Ifanse wasn't even 100 percent all season with the nagging hamstring injury. He's also good catching passes out of the backfield. I expect a McGhee/Kirk or Davis type of offense next year.
I've got my fingers crossed for Jensen personally.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:34 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:28 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:57 am
RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:40 pm
I fully expect Andersen to be replaced, but not by Rovig. I wasn't impressed with him. The pursuit of transfers seems to indicate that the staff would prefer a starting QB not currently on the roster.
I'm guessing either Jensen or Modster commits this week.

Andersen should play both ways, but about 75 percent at LB and 25 percent at RB. MSU needs Andersen at LB next year.

You need to factor in that Ifanse wasn't even 100 percent all season with the nagging hamstring injury. He's also good catching passes out of the backfield. I expect a McGhee/Kirk or Davis type of offense next year.
I've got my fingers crossed for Jensen personally.
+1

I would love to get Jenson! First of all, he is a hell of a good QB who is proven to be successful in the Big Sky. And second.... well, it would just make the Cat-Griz rivalry that much better.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:59 pm

Bsmithmsu wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:33 pm
What about putting him at DE? Might be something worth trying with his speed and ability to go 100% every play. He would only need to put about 30lb or so.
Come on man! I've said it before, have him put on about 80 more pounds and have him play nose tackle. Would he lose much speed with that much weight gain?

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:26 pm

Bsmithmsu wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:45 pm
mslacatfan wrote:

I also find that funny for a guy that has played very few snaps at LB ever and he is good enough to play FBS? It’s going to be tough finding a place for him next year.
Not FBS, NFL. That's how far the love fest has spun out of control. Troy's a great athlete but count me as part of that 1% that wants to see him play the position for a full season before projecting him to the pros.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:31 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:59 pm
Bsmithmsu wrote:
Come on man! I've said it before, have him put on about 80 more pounds and have him play nose tackle. Would he lose much speed with that much weight gain?
After meditating this philosophically for 24 hours while in the zen position on a mountaintop while drinking chai tea and composing haikus, I have decided that I would prefer TA to play offense, unless he plays defense. In conclusion, so long as TA wears Bobcat blue and gold for the next two years, I will achieve total consciousness.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:41 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:31 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
Bsmithmsu wrote:
After meditating this philosophically for 24 hours while in the zen position on a mountaintop while drinking chai tea and composing haikus, I have decided that I would prefer TA to play offense, unless he plays defense. In conclusion, so long as TA wears Bobcat blue and gold for the next two years, I will achieve total consciousness.
In your visions, did you see him snapping, holding and kicking? If he plays offense he is going to obliterate the Cat rushing record and hold it for a year until Ifanse breaks his record. But, down there someplace must be the scoring record he'd have to get as a kicker.

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:24 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:31 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
Bsmithmsu wrote:
Everyone is clamoring to hear one of my haiku's. I am pleased to present:

The Bobcats done well,
Troy Anderson ran very fast,
Can you feel the vim building?

Cats92
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Cats92 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:53 pm

Reading all this has me thinking, this is a great problem to have. We’re talking about an all time Cat here. Build a statue next to Sonny and build the north end zone tomorrow so we can slap his name on it like now.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:49 pm

mslacatfan wrote:

Thats Crazy! :shock:

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:12 pm

Isn't it amazing that the kid could probably play buck end, lb, safety, cb, rb, qb or wr in div i football?
Let the kid play lb. He's going to be a safety in the NFL.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:24 pm

seataccat wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:12 pm
Isn't it amazing that the kid could probably play buck end, lb, safety, cb, rb, qb or wr in div i football?
The way the NFL is trending, players that used to be safeties are now playing linebacker. I bet LB is his best position for this level and the next one.

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:24 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:24 pm
seataccat wrote:
The way the NFL is trending, players that used to be safeties are now playing linebacker. I bet LB is his best position for this level and the next one.
You are probably right, it wouldn't surprise me either way.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:53 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:02 pm
If it's true that all signs point to Murray returning and playing football in 2019, then you have to push him to the top of the QB list right next to Rovig. Who wins that competition determines the trajectory of this team offensively. Their styles are so different and I would not want Murray as QB1 but in a slot, wildcat role and Rovig throwing dimes.

Andersen immediately upgrades our LB weakness by putting him on the field with Hill, Kanow, et al. and speed and QB hits has got to go way up!

So, I would send him to LB and give him some carries out of the backfield throughout the game.
This is the part of the conversation where I get lost. I've said since Murray started playing that he should be on the field every offensive snap...but not at quarterback. I watch the games closely an I just don't see why he would shoot to the top of the depth chart upon his return at the QB position for any other reason than he started there for (2) years out of necessity.

If I'm dead wrong I'm dead wrong...but he doesn't give us a passing game. Right?

CatsNoMatterWhat

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:54 pm

seataccat wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:24 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
seataccat wrote:
I dunno. I'm thinking safety also. He's just a shade svelt for LB I think...those guys are playing at 250 lbs.

CatsNoMatterWhat

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:56 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Bsmithmsu wrote:
"only need to put on 30 lb or so"...that's A LOT of weight if it's healthy weight. Not sure you could do it in a single off season.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:53 pm

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:54 pm
seataccat wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:24 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
seataccat wrote:
I dunno. I'm thinking safety also. He's just a shade svelt for LB I think...those guys are playing at 250 lbs.
Maybe 20 years ago.

Troy would be fine at 230.

He's not a S in the NFL, LB all the way, if he makes it.

wapiti

Post by wapiti » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:55 am

As the OP said "It seems soooooo very obvious"

He should be LB on defense.