Andersen. Offense or Defense?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catinahat
New Recruit

Re: Andersen. Offense or Defense?

Post by catinahat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:37 pm

Have you not watched him play qb? He is hitting guys!

CatRowdy
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by CatRowdy » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:12 pm

Coach has said he thinks Troy could play linebacker on Sundays; and they need to give him time as a linebacker so there is film. Since the program/culture is about helping these young men succeed; I'm betting IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, Troy will play defense next year. Sure, there will be plays where he plays a little offense, but we see that with other players. I say 'if at all possible' because I think Troy and any of our players will play where they are needed.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:02 pm

If it's true that all signs point to Murray returning and playing football in 2019, then you have to push him to the top of the QB list right next to Rovig. Who wins that competition determines the trajectory of this team offensively. Their styles are so different and I would not want Murray as QB1 but in a slot, wildcat role and Rovig throwing dimes.

Andersen immediately upgrades our LB weakness by putting him on the field with Hill, Kanow, et al. and speed and QB hits has got to go way up!

So, I would send him to LB and give him some carries out of the backfield throughout the game.

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:40 pm

I fully expect Andersen to be replaced, but not by Rovig. I wasn't impressed with him. The pursuit of transfers seems to indicate that the staff would prefer a starting QB not currently on the roster.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:43 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:40 pm
I fully expect Andersen to be replaced, but not by Rovig. I wasn't impressed with him. The pursuit of transfers seems to indicate that the staff would prefer a starting QB not currently on the roster.
In all fairness, Going after transfers has to happen for insurance if nothing else. One of the freshman might light up spring but Choate can't take that chance.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:53 pm

I vote for defense. TA doesn't seem to have improved regarding the important ability to look off your first target,
and go to your second and third choices. He tends to pull the ball down pretty quickly and run with it if the primary receiver
is covered; of course, he is great at running. I guess it depends on our situation at running back next year. If Ifanse stays
healthy and we have depth behind him then I would think TA would help the team best at LB.

What if Chris Murray comes back in good form? Tough but pleasant choices to have for the coaching staff

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:17 am

It seems crazy, but in my opinion Andersen is on his way to having his number "15" retired after just two seasons.

Before accusing me of blasphemy, consider the case:
He was the 2017 BSC Frosh of the Year.
First team all-BSC quarterback as a sophomore.
He ran for a BSC single-season rushing record by a QB.
He scored more points in a single-season than anyone in MSU history.
He scored more TDs in a single-season than anyone in MSU history.
He has the most 100-yard games in a single-season in MSU history.
His five TDs scored in Cat-Griz is believed to be the most in MSU history (Cat-Griz history?)

That's in just two seasons!

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Shaner
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Shaner » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:30 am

I'm going to go a little different direction than most here and say offense, but as the full time and primary RB. I'm not sure how his hands are out of the backfield, but having a guy of his physical talent and obvious ability to rush with the football touching the ball 15 - 20 times a game seems like a must after what I've seen. I definitely want QB playing QB next year, but Troy is an extraordinarily effective runner and I would like to see that aspect remain in the offense.

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:49 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:17 am
It seems crazy, but in my opinion Andersen is on his way to having his number "15" retired after just two seasons.

His five TDs scored in Cat-Griz is believed to be the most in MSU history (Cat-Griz history?)

Not crazy at all Tom; he is well on his way to being one of the greats.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:55 am

Shaner wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:30 am
I'm going to go a little different direction than most here and say offense, but as the full time and primary RB. I'm not sure how his hands are out of the backfield, but having a guy of his physical talent and obvious ability to rush with the football touching the ball 15 - 20 times a game seems like a must after what I've seen. I definitely want QB playing QB next year, but Troy is an extraordinarily effective runner and I would like to see that aspect remain in the offense.
But then what do you do with Ifanse?

I think Ifanse needs to be the 20+ carry RB, then bring Troy in for 7-8 carries per game, so he can play where he wants - LB. After playing QB this year, he's earned that.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:57 am

RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:40 pm
I'm guessing either Jensen or Modster commits this week.

Andersen should play both ways, but about 75 percent at LB and 25 percent at RB. MSU needs Andersen at LB next year.

You need to factor in that Ifanse wasn't even 100 percent all season with the nagging hamstring injury. He's also good catching passes out of the backfield. I expect a McGhee/Kirk or Davis type of offense next year.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:04 am

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:49 am
TomCat88 wrote:

Sort of proves how one dimensional our offense was.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:05 am

He needs to be on defense. He's already been the newcomer, can't do that again. He's been 1st string all conference on offense. He now needs to get a chance at 1st string defense.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:12 am

Montanabob wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:04 am
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:49 am
TomCat88 wrote:

Sort of proves how one dimensional our offense was.
I don't think there's been any question that MSU has a one-dimensional offense, but I highly doubt there's a player that could've done what Andersen just did. Murray is damn good and MSU has been pretty one-dimensional with him in there, but he's a ways behind Andersen in most of those categories.

toM StUber

Shaner
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Shaner » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:36 am

91catAlum wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:55 am
Shaner wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:30 am
But then what do you do with Ifanse?

I think Ifanse needs to be the 20+ carry RB, then bring Troy in for 7-8 carries per game, so he can play where he wants - LB. After playing QB this year, he's earned that.
I think you keep Ifanse and Troy on the field together most the time with both of them being running and receiving options. Teams that use two great running backs creatively have a pretty significant advantage if they are able to game plan and exploit the mismatches. A talented QB in the backfield with Ifanse and Troy would make for a pretty dangerous core on offense.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:06 am

When Murray was playing, he was referred to as the best athlete on the field. When Troy was playing, he was called the best athlete in the field. I have also heard Jonsen being called a next level athlete and the best on the field. Crazy thing is that you can make a legitimate argument for each of them as the best athlete. What an incredible situation to have all three as options, and Ifanse on top of that!

Lane Sumner has been lost in some of this discussion and we also have Logan Jones! Not much is said about Lane, but he is a workhorse in the weight room and also classroom. Logan Jones is a difference maker as became evident in the last regular season games. If we can add a passing game, we are looking at a clear Big Sky title contender.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:11 am

Andersen must play primarily on defense.

I'm not sure how many of you noticed during the game, but Josh Hill missed the entire season, came back, and was immediately the best LB we had on the field. We desperately need speed on defense, especially at LB. Andersen gives us that in bunches. What were 10 yard gains on the edge could be 2-3 yard gains. That's huge. That's what Mac Bignell always gave us. We missed that this year with Hill and Kanow injured.

Now you can't take a guy who had 21 TD's on offense and not give him some offensive touches. I would expect he gets 5-10 touches a game, while playing defense. At the very least he will make a scary decoy on offense next year...have to give him attention at all times when he is on the field.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:17 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:11 am

I'm not sure how many of you noticed during the game, but Josh Hill missed the entire season, came back, and was immediately the best LB we had on the field. We desperately need speed on defense, especially at LB. Andersen gives us that in bunches. What were 10 yard gains on the edge could be 2-3 yard gains. That's huge. That's what Mac Bignell always gave us. We missed that this year with Hill and Kanow injured.

Now you can't take a guy who had 21 TD's on offense and not give him some offensive touches. I would expect he gets 5-10 touches a game, while playing defense. At the very least he will make a scary decoy on offense next year...have to give him attention at all times when he is on the field.
This. That. And this and uh. It's like this and like that and like this. You just creeped to the mic like a phantom.

In other words, good post!! You're exactly correct on all counts.

toM StUber

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:20 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:17 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:11 am

This. That. And this and uh. It's like this and like that and like this. You just creeped to the mic like a phantom.

In other words, good post!! You're exactly correct on all counts.
THIS, THIS, in Spades!!!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:02 pm

TomCat88 wrote:

What are the requirements to get your number retired? I thought you had to be named to an All-American team. Maybe I just made that up but I thought I'd heard that before. If that's the case he needs to be a LB. Never gonna get it at QB (not a true QB) or RB (Ifanse will take too many carries). If he turns out to be as good at LB as everyone assumes he'll be he's going to have a crazy resume at the end of his Bobcat career.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!