Andersen. Offense or Defense?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

NorthernPlains
BobcatNation Letterman

Andersen. Offense or Defense?

Post by NorthernPlains » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:48 pm

Ok this has been discussed but now the season has ended it is worth a serious review.

It seems soooooo very obvious. None the less there remains strong opinions on both sides.

While playing QB, a position he is not very adept at, Troy Andersen just set Montana State records for...

1. Most 100 yard rushing games in a season.

2. Most touchdowns scored in a season.

Set aside any passing yards / touchdowns he accounted for, then tell me what percentage of the offense did he personally generate? Then try to justify the argument that "Moving him to LB makes us better in two positions". A new, college level, quarterback will be identified and brought into the mix. Still how in the heck does removing 60% of your offense make a team better? The fact is the coach would be nuts to move this kid to defense.

I will readily admit I'm wrong... if he is moved to linebacker next year and can still match or beat the number of touchdowns he generated this year on offense. If he does feel free to pummel me. Otherwise don't kill the bobcat offense in order to make the defense marginally better. Swing away.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Andersen. Offense or Defense?

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:00 pm

Dude.... he broke records at RB....... he didn’t do jack squat at QB.

I’m not trying to be a dick, but it’s the truth. I’m a huge TA fan, amazing what he has sacrificed for the team. But he is a LB, who should get a handful of rb snaps every game.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:01 pm

At linebacker he totally eliminates the over-the-middle pass game for opposing offenses and creates a real sack threat up the middle. We finally have a deep stable of QBs and Rovig has experience.

Defense.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:03 pm

Defense, with a sprinkling of 5-8 touches a game in the run game. Imo it's not even close.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:11 pm

We are hoping for a transfer quarterback-we haven't gotten one yet. Are we not also looking for transfer linebackers? All the cows aren't in the barn yet-lets see how recruiting goes. I find it hard to believe we will get enough good players on offense to replace 21 touchdowns and over 100 rushing yards per game. I think Andersen will be used primarily on offense next season. We shall see.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:14 pm

This game today showed where he should really be. National Championship caliber teams are going to shut down an offense like ours every day of the week. Not to mention we got our asses kicked in the run game on D.

Edit: Even a game managing QB should account for double the TDs TA did through the air. Add more goal line runs and TDs for the backs, plus TA still getting his touches and TDs offensively, the argument of what he accounted for doesn't really work, especially cause that's part of the offenses problem against great team.
Last edited by BleedingBLue on Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:15 pm

I double checked the stats for the QB for NDSU and sure enough, he was 7 for 12 for 86 total yards throwing the football and seven different receivers caught one of his passes. I'm not real certain but from previous film sessions after games during the season, it appeared as though again in this game today more than a few routes were run incorrectly, broken off by the receivers and I saw one of those bad passes hit the receiver for the Cats right in the hands! Dang those poor throws like that...

Bocephus

Post by Bocephus » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:16 pm

What wins championships? Defense and running the ball and thats 2 paces we need Troy.

Starting LB along with mixing in the backfield with Ifanse. Watch out. Jensen, Bauman or Rovig would make a great starting QB with that running game.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:18 pm

If Troy is our qb next year, then get prepared for this again. 2nd round and out. Troy is our best football player and if 1/3 of the team played with his heart we would instantly be better, but him at QB is holding his career back and the team. He needs to play defense or running back.

If your left, you aren’t right.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:21 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:18 pm
If Troy is our qb next year, then get prepared for this again. 2nd round and out. Troy is our best football player and if 1/3 of the team played with his heart we would instantly be better, but him at QB is holding his career back and the team. He needs to play defense or running back.
Yes! We will not beat Championship caliber teams with this offense.

NorthernPlains
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by NorthernPlains » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:33 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:14 pm
This game today showed where he should really be. National Championship caliber teams are going to shut down an offense like ours every day of the week. Not to mention we got our asses kicked in the run game on D.

Edit: Even a game managing QB should account for double the TDs TA did through the air. Add more goal line runs and TDs for the backs, plus TA still getting his touches and TDs offensively, the argument of what he accounted for doesn't really work, especially cause that's part of the offenses problem against great team.

Just in case I wasn't clear in my op, I am not saying Troy should be playing QB next year. He doesn't belong there, and the cats are lucky to have won as many games as they did with "this offense".

My point is, in any game Andersen is a potential scoring machine and he should be on offense getting his hands on the ball. A change into an actually balanced offense with a true QB would generate a real passing game. That would replace some of his production from this year. None the less moving him to LB would leave a gapping hole to try to replace all of his offensive scoring.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:46 pm

NorthernPlains wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:33 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:14 pm

Just in case I wasn't clear in my op, I am not saying Troy should be playing QB next year. He doesn't belong there, and the cats are lucky to have won as many games as they did with "this offense".

My point is, in any game Andersen is a potential scoring machine and he should be on offense getting his hands on the ball. A change into an actually balanced offense with a true QB would generate a real passing game. That would replace some of his production from this year. None the less moving him to LB would leave a gapping hole to try to replace all of his offensive scoring.
I understand your point. My point is it's not like those TDs he accounted for disappear. It's entirely possible a different QB could have as many TDs through the air that TA had combined this season. Plus he will still get some from the RB position and a more balanced offense with a true passing threat will allow a guy like Ifanse to have an even better year.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:03 pm

I’ll take a QB that has 25-30 passing TDs and 5-10 rushing TDs with a RB that scores 14-20 rushing TDs. It simply CANNOT be the QB only.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:12 pm

Today was evidence enough for me where he should be. Mainly on defense with some carries on offense. Both sides of the ball are not championship caliber yet.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:24 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:12 pm
Today was evidence enough for me where he should be. Mainly on defense with some carries on offense. Both sides of the ball are not championship caliber yet.
Exactly. He's gonna get touches, because he's too valuable not too...but his future is at LB. After watching that game it should be beyond obvious how badly we need speed on defense.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:27 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:24 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:12 pm
Exactly. He's gonna get touches, because he's too valuable not too...but his future is at LB. After watching that game it should be beyond obvious how badly we need speed on defense.
Yeah our second and third levels couldn't match up with their offense. 18 fkn senior starters will do that, though. Impressive.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:15 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:21 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:18 pm
Yes! We will not beat Championship caliber teams with this offense.
Love the kid, but this is the TRUTH!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

catinahat
New Recruit

Post by catinahat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:26 pm

I wonder what TA wants? I know at the beginning of the year he wanted defense, but i wonder if after a season of leading this team as the qb, he has changed his mind. I feel if he wanted to to be the qb next year, he would do the work in the off season and be a damn good qb next year. Look at much he has progressed over this season.

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:32 pm

The answer is yes.

Every down linebacker and 5-7 touches a game on offense so that they don't lose his big play ability.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:35 pm

catinahat wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:26 pm
I wonder what TA wants? I know at the beginning of the year he wanted defense, but i wonder if after a season of leading this team as the qb, he has changed his mind. I feel if he wanted to to be the qb next year, he would do the work in the off season and be a damn good qb next year. Look at much he has progressed over this season.
I doubt he's lost the desire to hit guys.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!