Team Needs

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Team Needs

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:28 pm

After the NDSU beat down it's clear we have some major needs on this team if we intend to be competitive at the top level. This is what I saw and curious to hear what others think.

#1 QB
I love Troy but we have to be able to move the ball on a consistent basis. We need a QB to come in and take the reins, or one of our existing kids needs to step up and lead this offense. I would love to see Chris Murray come back or land Gresch or that UCLA QB. We need help badly because 3 and outs wear out or D pretty fast.

#2 OL
If this is the offense MM and Choate wants to run we need lineman that can move fast and have great strength. In my opinion we don't have the right type of OL-men to do what the staff is asking them to do. blocking was sub-par this season.

#3 LB
We need more twitch guys like Chapman and Hill, Jobman has progressed but he has a lot of growth in his game still. I think moving Troy to the LB corps would be a huge lift to that position instantly.

#4 RB
With the offense we run we need a stable, Ifanse is a good start (to me NDSU had 3 guys just like Ifanse only further along in development). I think we need to be able to use at least 3 RB's every game.

#5 DL
I though we had a great DL this year, we lose some great players I think Yates will be missed the most. Williams and Benson will be good on the inside and Marks and Sterk will be solid ends, but we need backups and more talent period. NDSU manhandled our Dline today.

#6 TE
need some ballcatchers and some blockers.

#7 WR
I think we could use some major upgrades at this position, but we don't use them so why?

The Secondary is probably the only position I think we have good enough talent and depth but hey you can always use more corners right?

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Team Needs

Post by technoCat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:34 pm

1. We need to cutout the penalties. Killed any momentum we ever had. This game might have been at least slightly competitive if we aren't constantly behind the sticks.

2. More speed on special teams. We seem to always be 10 yards behind other teams.

3. QB/lb/oline all need to get better.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

MountainCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MountainCat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:12 pm

The off-season starts tomorrow. Time to make our 2019 team better, and that starts with Coach Choate making some potentially tough changes...

I believe that Coach Choate OWES it to his team and the Montana State fanbase to exhaust himself and his resources to find an offensive coordinator to build this program around because that person is NOT currently in the building in my opinion (Id love to give MILLER the benefit of the doubt, BUT). Last year it was Murray, this year it was Anderson having to set rushing records for the team because they were surrounded by little to no help and inept play calling. Personally, I feel like like those are hardly accomplishments to brag about... We currently have potential waiting in the wings at quarterback and rumors say there could be yet more infusion of talent. Give those young guys someone to learn from and play for! In my humble opinion, THATS where 2019 starts......

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:49 pm

Need to make strides in the facilities arms race, or this little run will be a blip on the way back to mediocrity.

Phat Daddy
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Phat Daddy » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:57 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:28 pm
After the NDSU beat down it's clear we have some major needs on this team if we intend to be competitive at the top level. This is what I saw and curious to hear what others think.

#1 QB
I love Troy but we have to be able to move the ball on a consistent basis. We need a QB to come in and take the reins, or one of our existing kids needs to step up and lead this offense. I would love to see Chris Murray come back or land Gresch or that UCLA QB. We need help badly because 3 and outs wear out or D pretty fast.

#2 OL
If this is the offense MM and Choate wants to run we need lineman that can move fast and have great strength. In my opinion we don't have the right type of OL-men to do what the staff is asking them to do. blocking was sub-par this season.

#3 LB
We need more twitch guys like Chapman and Hill, Jobman has progressed but he has a lot of growth in his game still. I think moving Troy to the LB corps would be a huge lift to that position instantly.

#4 RB
With the offense we run we need a stable, Ifanse is a good start (to me NDSU had 3 guys just like Ifanse only further along in development). I think we need to be able to use at least 3 RB's every game.

#5 DL
I though we had a great DL this year, we lose some great players I think Yates will be missed the most. Williams and Benson will be good on the inside and Marks and Sterk will be solid ends, but we need backups and more talent period. NDSU manhandled our Dline today.

#6 TE

#7 WR
I think we could use some major upgrades at this position, but we don't use them so why?

The Secondary is probably the only position I think we have good enough talent and depth but hey you can always use more corners right?
Good news is you haven’t asked Santa for much, but remember we don’t have 85 scholarships like FBS.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:58 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:49 pm
Need to make strides in the facilities arms race, or this little run will be a blip on the way back to mediocrity.
I wholeheartedly agree that the Cats need to make strides in the facilities area. It kills me though that EWU can play at a High School facility and continue to recruit to win though. Maybe, the Cats need a gold artificial turf. :-k

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:28 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:58 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
I wholeheartedly agree that the Cats need to make strides in the facilities area. It kills me though that EWU can play at a High School facility and continue to recruit to win though. Maybe, the Cats need a gold artificial turf. :-k
Alternating blue and gold

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:39 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:28 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:58 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Alternating blue and gold
:no: :sick:

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

RMD
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by RMD » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:40 pm

I see that Utah State needs a head coach, so we might need one as well. 😰

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:44 pm

Phat Daddy wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:57 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:28 pm

#1 QB

#2 OL

#3 LB

#4 RB

#5 DL

#6 TE

#7 WR

Good news is you haven’t asked Santa for much, but remember we don’t have 85 scholarships like FBS.
Logan Jones helps on the rb front. He, ifanse, Sumner almost a stable make. I love our receivers, with jonsen, kassis, McCutcheon, plus hopefully breakthroughs from duru and metcalf. DL can be great again, with guys we already have plus the other washington transfer whose name escapes me. I completely agree about the OL, i think we've got bodies there but i'm not sure about players. Lb, agree, love grant but he's not fast, not twitchy, just solid. Josh hill, troy, kanow, you've got something, balue if he's healthy. QB, i'm with you, I'd love to see 8 win that job back.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:45 pm

RMD wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:40 pm
Don't think that'll happen, but you're right, we shouldn't breathe totally easy WRT choate until that job is filled by someone else.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:48 pm

RMD wrote:
If USU is going to go after a FCS coach, you'd have to think it will be Jay Hill from Weber. Choate is 17-18 at MSU, not exactly a FBS resume at this point.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:01 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:48 pm
RMD wrote:
If USU is going to go after a FCS coach, you'd have to think it will be Jay Hill from Weber. Choate is 17-18 at MSU, not exactly a FBS resume at this point.
Jay Hill will have a legit shot at that job should he want it.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:14 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:01 pm
MSU01 wrote:
RMD wrote:
Jay Hill will have a legit shot at that job should he want it.
Agreed. Wonder about beau Baldwin there also? I suppose with all of ed lambs byu ties he couldn't take that job huh? Wouldn't be surprised if their search committee at least reached out to choate, given his history of being there, but I think you're right to say hill would be much higher in the pecking order at this stage.

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:20 pm

The announcers for ESPN said it best.....When NDSU started the run, the President and the School decided to put a LOT of money into the sports programs. They raised tuition (all of is going to athletics), raised booster costs (by double/triple) and they all played it....and more. They knew what it took. And they did it...

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:24 pm

SACCAT wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:20 pm
The announcers for ESPN said it best.....When NDSU started the run, the President and the School decided to put a LOT of money into the sports programs. They raised tuition (all of is going to athletics), raised booster costs (by double/triple) and they all played it....and more. They knew what it took. And they did it...
I don’t think raising tuition is going to be in play in Montana. We will have to see about the rest.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:29 pm

MSU01 wrote:
RMD wrote:
I agree that Jay Hill would/should be in line for an FBS job before Choate(but I think it’s most likely be as a coordinator, not head coach). I’m 100% a backer of Choate and love where I think he’s taking the program, but the bottom line is he’s 17-18 overall right now and 1-1 in the playoffs, that doesn’t jump off the page on a resume for an FBS gig.

I think that’s the silver lining to the steady progress he’s made with the program. With him most likely being here for 2-3 more years minimum, he will have had plenty of recruiting classes to build the depth and the culture of this program into the mold of NDSU, like he’s said many times that he wants to do. I think we really started to see that play out the second half of this year. In turn the program should be in a great place whenever he does leave.

If he would have come in and torn it up in year 1 or 2 and made playoff runs in one or both of those years, then that would have most likely really grabbed the attention of the FBS for a coaching gig. It would have been fun as a fan base to be a part of that, no doubt, but who knows how much stronger the program really would have been in the long run if there was a year or two flash in the pan, the coach leaves and the program is starting over again.

I think the coaching continuity of Choate being here for 5-6 years or more and building the talent and depth from top to bottom like he is will be good for the program in the long run, it should be built for sustained success.

Next year is the next step in that direction.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:29 pm

We need a permanent Offensive Coordinator. Miller has done an admirable job since taking over but does Choate really think he's ready to lead that side of the ball going forward or was he just the best option on the team to provide a spark down the stretch after Cole walked out the door? No matter the decision, hopefully Choate learned his lesson that Co-coordinators doesn't work.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:37 pm

SACCAT wrote:
And the Fargodome is a City owned facility. Do you think the City of Bozeman would ever build a facility primarily for MSU athletics? The thought is laughable. I don't see the Bozeman community or MSU ever making a commitment to sports like NDSU has.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:45 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:37 pm
SACCAT wrote:
And the Fargodome is a City owned facility. Do you think the City of Bozeman would ever build a facility primarily for MSU athletics? The thought is laughable. I don't see the Bozeman community or MSU ever making a commitment to sports like NDSU has.
Agreed, and I don't know where that leaves us. We need the updates in the facilities plan, but how does that come to fruition? Hard to figure.