Transfer QB's in town this weekend

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Transfer QB's in town this weekend

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:05 pm

Bsmithmsu wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:43 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:31 pm
onceacat wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:22 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:16 pm
Bsmithmsu wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:11 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:25 pm
Couple things regarding posts in this thread:

- I am 99.9% sure the BSC intraconference transfer rules are a moot point for Gresch due to his drop down to JUCO route...now he’s just viewed as a JUCO transfer so normal stuff there
- Gresch is definitely a talented QB and will help any team he lands on. If he came to bozeman i think he makes the cats an instant contender for conference championships since QB is your biggest missing piece
- there were a lot of posters here bashing Gresch prior to his first Cat-Griz game saying he isn’t all that great, was overrated, and isn’t that good of a QB. Glad to see you’ve all changed your tune :D
Gresh would no doubt make us contenders. He would probably be the best all around qb the cats would ha e since Lulay. Only issue is how quickly can the offense adapt to a new playbook and will we have enough good wr next year to get all of Gresh’s potential.
:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

C'mon man. DeNarius McGhee and Dakota Prukop would beg to differ.
I think he looked better as a Freshman than McGhee & he's already a far better passer than Prukop ever was. He doesn't have Prukops wheels, but that's a really minor concern with a QB. Well, maybe some Bobcats think differently...
I suppose Prukop is debatable. McGhee is not, especially his freshman year.
I don’t believe either of these two throw as clean of a pass that Gresh does. McGhee was just good at turning a broken play into something and Prukop must have bought his fame because I never was big on him. He showed glimmers of greatness now and then but just couldn’t get it all together.
After starting in the Big Sky, one of these QBs was offered a scholarship to Oregon, Alabama, and Michigan. Guess which one:

a) Gresch Jensen
b) Dakota Prukop

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:10 pm

Between the two potential Options would Gresch have the better scrambling ability? He might be the better bridge towards the pocket passing game that Choate claims he wants. But a true pocket passer would allow us to go more pro style and utilize a FB more.

I think it would be a shock if at least one of these ended up not signing

Cat_gld
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat_gld » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:11 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:05 pm
Bsmithmsu wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
onceacat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Bsmithmsu wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:

- I am 99.9% sure the BSC intraconference transfer rules are a moot point for Gresch due to his drop down to JUCO route...now he’s just viewed as a JUCO transfer so normal stuff there
- Gresch is definitely a talented QB and will help any team he lands on. If he came to bozeman i think he makes the cats an instant contender for conference championships since QB is your biggest missing piece
- there were a lot of posters here bashing Gresch prior to his first Cat-Griz game saying he isn’t all that great, was overrated, and isn’t that good of a QB. Glad to see you’ve all changed your tune :D
Gresh would no doubt make us contenders. He would probably be the best all around qb the cats would ha e since Lulay. Only issue is how quickly can the offense adapt to a new playbook and will we have enough good wr next year to get all of Gresh’s potential.

I think he looked better as a Freshman than McGhee & he's already a far better passer than Prukop ever was. He doesn't have Prukops wheels, but that's a really minor concern with a QB. Well, maybe some Bobcats think differently...
I don’t believe either of these two throw as clean of a pass that Gresh does. McGhee was just good at turning a broken play into something and Prukop must have bought his fame because I never was big on him. He showed glimmers of greatness now and then but just couldn’t get it all together.
After starting in the Big Sky, one of these QBs was offered a scholarship to Oregon, Alabama, and Michigan. Guess which one:

a) Gresch Jensen
b) Dakota Prukop
And, how did that turn out? Big joke!

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:16 pm

Cat_gld wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:11 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Bsmithmsu wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
onceacat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Bsmithmsu wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:

a) Gresch Jensen
b) Dakota Prukop
Worked well for one of the Herbert brothers

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:32 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:47 pm
Cats15 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:26 pm
Devon Modster was sitting next to Damion Lillard at the Cat b ball game last night FWIW...
Good eye! There is a good picture of Lillard and what I thought was an entourage at the game last night up on Skyline. Guy on the right looks a hell of a lot like Devon Modster.
Who is Damion Lillard?

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:45 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:32 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Cats15 wrote:
Devon Modster was sitting next to Damion Lillard at the Cat b ball game last night FWIW...
Good eye! There is a good picture of Lillard and what I thought was an entourage at the game last night up on Skyline. Guy on the right looks a hell of a lot like Devon Modster.
Who is Damion Lillard?
Basketball star for the Portland Trailblazers.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:47 pm

exppi wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:45 pm
cats2506 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
Cats15 wrote:
Who is Damion Lillard?
so why was he at the MSU game?

Sorry I dont follow BB, its during wrestling season

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:53 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:47 pm
exppi wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
Cats15 wrote:
Who is Damion Lillard?
so why was he at the MSU game?

Sorry I dont follow BB, its during wrestling season
His cousin is on the Bobcats.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:02 pm

exppi wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
Cats15 wrote:
Who is Damion Lillard?
Former Big Sky stud-played at Weber State.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:59 pm

Thanks for the BB player info guys. I understand now

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:15 pm

onceacat wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:20 pm
Grizaddict wrote:

I was hoping we would offer him as soon as he announced he was leaving UM-back when we still thought Murray was coming back. He's an order of magnitude better as a passer than anyone on an MSU roster since D-Mac graduated. OK, maybe not order of magnitude, but he's clearly substantially better than anyone since McGhee. I agree he makes us an instant contender.

Regarding the transfer rule: the way I read it, it only applies to financial aid. You can transfer BSC to BSC as long as you aren't on scholarship. He would have to pay his way with out of state tuition if he came here. If he were my kid, I'd probably suck it up & pay the $7k, but I have no idea what his family finances are like. Considering that he's going to graduate without any other student debt, that seems like a pretty cheap price to pay to have the inside track & spring season jump on a starting spot on a playoff team.
You are correct on the financial aid part. However, with Gresch transferring to a JUCO the Big Sky to Big Sky has been eliminated all together. He is free and clear to go wherever he wants with no restrictions and no financial aid or scholarship parameters.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:16 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:15 pm
onceacat wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:

I was hoping we would offer him as soon as he announced he was leaving UM-back when we still thought Murray was coming back. He's an order of magnitude better as a passer than anyone on an MSU roster since D-Mac graduated. OK, maybe not order of magnitude, but he's clearly substantially better than anyone since McGhee. I agree he makes us an instant contender.

Regarding the transfer rule: the way I read it, it only applies to financial aid. You can transfer BSC to BSC as long as you aren't on scholarship. He would have to pay his way with out of state tuition if he came here. If he were my kid, I'd probably suck it up & pay the $7k, but I have no idea what his family finances are like. Considering that he's going to graduate without any other student debt, that seems like a pretty cheap price to pay to have the inside track & spring season jump on a starting spot on a playoff team.
You are correct on the financial aid part. However, with Gresch transferring to a JUCO the Big Sky to Big Sky has been eliminated all together. He is free and clear to go wherever he wants with no restrictions and no financial aid or scholarship parameters.
Next fall, right? If he wants to enroll at MSU in order to be here for spring practice, he couldn’t be on scholarship, right?

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:30 pm

pubcrawlers wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:43 pm
The film speaks for itself:

[-o< [-o<

He can sure make all the throws, and he can run!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:34 pm

Grizaddict wrote:

- there were a lot of posters here bashing Gresch prior to his first Cat-Griz game saying he isn’t all that great, was overrated, and isn’t thxat good of a QB. Glad to see you’ve all changed your tune :D
Well now he might be our guy😀😀👍

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:25 am

Cat_gld wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Bsmithmsu wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
onceacat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Bsmithmsu wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:

a) Gresch Jensen
b) Dakota Prukop
Look, he is a professional football player now, so people better suited to evaluate football talent than any of us didn’t see his performance as a joke.

bcatfan1

Post by bcatfan1 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:31 am

DriscollCat wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:25 am
Cat_gld wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Bsmithmsu wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
onceacat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Bsmithmsu wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:

a) Gresch Jensen
b) Dakota Prukop
Look, he is a professional football player now, so people better suited to evaluate football talent than any of us didn’t see his performance as a joke.
Also, he didn't play poorly during his brief stint as a starter at Oregon. But the team was not good that year and lost a few games early. Once they were out of contention, it only made sense to give the Freshman the starts to prepare for the future. It was pretty bum deal for Dakota, and I'm sure, in hindsight, he wouldn't have picked Oregon!

Some people are a lot like slinkies....... Not really good for much, but it puts a smile on your face to watch them fall down a set of stairs.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:35 am

onceacat wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:16 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:

Next fall, right? If he wants to enroll at MSU in order to be here for spring practice, he couldn’t be on scholarship, right?
It is my understanding he is no longer a Big Sky to Big Sky intra-conference transfer. That was eliminated when he went to Fullerton College. He is now simply a JUCO transfer and can go wherever he wants with no restrictions.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:36 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:35 am
onceacat wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:

It is my understanding he is no longer a Big Sky to Big Sky intra-conference transfer. That was eliminated when he went to Fullerton College. He is now simply a JUCO transfer and can go wherever he wants with no restrictions.
This is correct.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:33 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:36 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:

This is correct.
There are never restrictions on where you can go, only on financial aid. So he can’t be on scholarship in the spring. He could have transferred here as a walk on last fall as long as he was willing to come on his own dime. The Big asks prohibits offering financial aid for one school year after the student-athlete transfers.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:34 am

onceacat wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:33 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:36 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:

This is correct.
There are never restrictions on where you can go, only on financial aid. So he can’t be on scholarship in the spring. He could have transferred here as a walk on last fall as long as he was willing to come on his own dime. The Big asks prohibits offering financial aid for one school year after the student-athlete transfers.
Because he went JUCO the financial restrictions are gone. His use of a year of eligibility at a school that was not in the Big Sky means that he can play at at a Big Sky school on scholarship.