Transfer QB's in town this weekend

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Transfer QB's in town this weekend

Post by onceacat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:31 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:25 pm
onceacat wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:09 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:50 pm
You're wrong. Just accept it and move on.
So when the rule says "one year" it really means "one semester"? Gotcha. I'm wrong, I'll move on.
This is directly from the article you just posted:

“When an athlete who is receiving athletically related financial aid transfers within the Big Sky, they have to sit out for “one full academic year (two full semesters or three full quarters excluding summer) before eligible to compete,” according to the rule.”

You are getting confused on one major part of this, “when an athlete transfers WITHIN the Big Sky”. Gresch is NO LONGER a Big Sky to Big Sky (intraconference) transfer. That was completely eliminated when he dropped down to JUCO. He is now a JUCO transfer with no restrictions.
Thats fine, I'm not arguing. I'm just wondering why we almost never see a dropdown show up for spring semester during their JUCO year. Seem like that would be standard operating procedure in that case?

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:32 pm

Darth Yoda wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:30 pm
Is onceacat a griz troll? Doesn't "once a cat" imply no longer a Cat? If you reread all the posts from the beginning with this filter, it all starts to make perfect sense.
We can’t claim him, sorry. He is struggling too hard to realize that Gresch is not a Big Sky to Big Sky transfer. He would have been had he left the Griz and tried to go directly to a Big Sky team, but he made the smartest move he could by dropping down to JUCO instead. Now intraconference rules don’t apply.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:43 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:32 pm
Darth Yoda wrote:
Is onceacat a griz troll? Doesn't "once a cat" imply no longer a Cat? If you reread all the posts from the beginning with this filter, it all starts to make perfect sense.
We can’t claim him, sorry. He is struggling too hard to realize that Gresch is not a Big Sky to Big Sky transfer. He would have been had he left the Griz and tried to go directly to a Big Sky team, but he made the smartest move he could by dropping down to JUCO instead. Now intraconference rules don’t apply.
Hey, I'm just trying to figure this out. I've never cheered for a Griz team, but I have a degree from over there.

Honest question: If going to a JUCO resets everything, it seems like Gresh could have quit the Griz in January, gone to JUCO for spring semester, then been on scholarship for the Cats last fall. Or, he could even have transferred to JUCO for summer semester and still come to the Cats for fall. They way, he wouldn't spend a year of eligibility playing at a JUCO.

I'm not trying to be obtuse, but it seems like a really big loophole. Am I missing something?

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:08 pm

onceacat wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:31 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
onceacat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
So when the rule says "one year" it really means "one semester"? Gotcha. I'm wrong, I'll move on.

“When an athlete who is receiving athletically related financial aid transfers within the Big Sky, they have to sit out for “one full academic year (two full semesters or three full quarters excluding summer) before eligible to compete,” according to the rule.”

You are getting confused on one major part of this, “when an athlete transfers WITHIN the Big Sky”. Gresch is NO LONGER a Big Sky to Big Sky (intraconference) transfer. That was completely eliminated when he dropped down to JUCO. He is now a JUCO transfer with no restrictions.
Thats fine, I'm not arguing. I'm just wondering why we almost never see a dropdown show up for spring semester during their JUCO year. Seem like that would be standard operating procedure in that case?
You didn't see this much in the past because, up until last year, signing day wasn't until February. Most schools were already past the point for late-enrollment at that time. With the early signing day in December now, it's easier to get a kid signed and have time for them to get moved and settled in by the time the spring semester starts.

GO CATS GO!!!

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:49 pm

onceacat wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:43 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Darth Yoda wrote:
Hey, I'm just trying to figure this out. I've never cheered for a Griz team, but I have a degree from over there.

Honest question: If going to a JUCO resets everything, it seems like Gresh could have quit the Griz in January, gone to JUCO for spring semester, then been on scholarship for the Cats last fall. Or, he could even have transferred to JUCO for summer semester and still come to the Cats for fall. They way, he wouldn't spend a year of eligibility playing at a JUCO.

I'm not trying to be obtuse, but it seems like a really big loophole. Am I missing something?

Transfer rules and requirements are very different for each student athlete, sport, and scenario. In football, there are different rules and requirements for say a true JUCO player transferring into a D1 school (referred to as a 2-4 player/transfer) than there are someone who left a 4 year to a JUCO and wants to get back to a 4 year D1 school (called a 4-2-4 player/transfer). Different rules for FBS to FCS and different for FCS to FCS. So lots of confusing and moving parts for sure.

There are always some grade requirements and credit requirements (which is where the qualifier vs non qualifier language comes into play.). In Gresch’s case, he’s a smart kid so I’m guessing is in good standing academically (full qualifier) with the proper credits. The only thing that may come into play is a specific time requirement from when he left his 4 year school. I believe it’s a 6 month minimum or one full semester from when he left UM (which I believe was spring) for a 4-2-4 player. So as long as he meets the semester/timing requirement and the academic good standing he’s good to go. I don’t know exactly when he left UM though.

Darth Yoda

Post by Darth Yoda » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:59 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Darth Yoda wrote:
The case was made at point at which he was whining that the grizz win wasn't good enough and was the worst one of the last three. In this conversation after being told the correct answer over 20 times, he continues to ask the same question. He's a troll plain and simple, and aside from this conversation, he's been a troll this entire season and beyond.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:07 pm

onceacat wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
onceacat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Because most JUCO players have to finish school at their JUCO. They were non qualifiers. Gresch is a full qualifier and will graduate from JUCO in Dec.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:30 pm

Who does everyone think has a better understanding of the BSC rules: Choate & Co or onceacat? :-k

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:01 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:30 pm
Who does everyone think has a better understanding of the BSC rules: Choate & Co or onceacat? :-k
:lol:

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:12 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:07 pm
onceacat wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
onceacat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Because most JUCO players have to finish school at their JUCO. They were non qualifiers. Gresch is a full qualifier and will graduate from JUCO in Dec.
Those two explanations make a ton of sense. Thanks.

BobCatFan

Post by BobCatFan » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:55 pm

I see Coach Choate being the Jeff Fisher of FCS.. Well liked coach by fans, management and players. Runs a good program. Is a good defense coach. Brings in good players, but his offense scheme he requires will be his Achilles heel. Fisher could not keep a good qb or coach them up. He could not bring in a quality offensive coordinator because of the scheme. I see Choate having the same issues. He needs to let the offensive coordinator run the offense. He needs to open up the playbook. Once he does that, be able to bring in a offensive coordinator and qb should not be an issue. Just my humble opinion.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:42 pm

BobCatFan wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:55 pm
I see Coach Choate being the Jeff Fisher of FCS.. Well liked coach by fans, management and players. Runs a good program. Is a good defense coach. Brings in good players, but his offense scheme he requires will be his Achilles heel. Fisher could not keep a good qb or coach them up. He could not bring in a quality offensive coordinator because of the scheme. I see Choate having the same issues. He needs to let the offensive coordinator run the offense. He needs to open up the playbook. Once he does that, be able to bring in a offensive coordinator and qb should not be an issue. Just my humble opinion.
Do you really think NDSU has a flawed offensive scheme? Weber State? It's not about the scheme IMO. We can and will be competitive on a national level with a run-first mindset. We just need to get more mature at the LOS and find some balance.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:15 am

Dang he looks good in that jersey!

Anacomando
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Anacomando » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:25 am

RobertCats wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:15 am

Such a stark contrast from that dark, dark pink....it's nice to see him in those colors! Looks great! I hope Gresch makes the jump. The guy has all the ability and can make all the throws!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:36 am

RobertCats wrote:

Wow! There are going to be some griz fanboys losing it after seeing that photo.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:33 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:36 am
RobertCats wrote:

Wow! There are going to be some griz fanboys losing it after seeing that photo.
Nah, we don't want this guy. Too many on egriz feel he is a putz :D :D

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:43 pm

Since Modster was in the discussion I thought I would post since I didn't see this anywhere.

DEVON MODSTER
POSITION Quarterback
HEIGHT 6-2
WEIGHT 225
CLASS Freshman
HOMETOWN Mission Viejo, Calif.
HIGH SCHOOL Tesoro

Saw action in five games during the season and made starts at Utah and vs. Kansas State (Cactus Bowl) ... Completed one of three passing attempts in his first game action (two series) against Hawai'i ... Came on in the second half of the game at Washington to complete seven of 12 passes for 77 yards and a touchdown to Darren Andrews ... Started the game at Utah and completed eight of 12 passes for 103 yards and a touchdown (Andrews) ... Came on in the second half of the Cal game to help lead UCLA to victory on a last-second drive which produced the winning field goal with four seconds remaining (10 plays, 55 yards, 2:18) ... Completed 14 of 18 passing attempts for 191 yards against the Golden Bears ... In the Cactus Bowl game against Kansas State, he completed 21 of 34 passes for 295 yards and two touchdowns (Jordan LasleyHear how to pronounce Jordan Lasley-52 yards and Theo Howard-70 yards).

Did not see game action in his first year in the program ... Was elevated to the backup quarterback position after the injury to Josh Rosen in game six at Arizona State.

HIGH SCHOOL
Listed by ESPN as four-star recruit and the No. 13 pocket passing quarterback in the nation ... No. 36 recruit in the state of California ... Scout.com four-star recruit, No. 43 on the California 100 list and the No. 21 quarterback in the nation ... Rivals.com four-star recruit, No. 180 in the nation, No. 38 in California, No. 7 dual-threat QB in the country ... Member of the Tacoma News Tribune Western 100 ... Cal-Hi Sports third-team All-State selection ... First-team OC Register All-County selection ... In his senior year, he averaged 305 passing yards per game and threw for 25 touchdowns with five interceptions ... As a junior, he completed 199 of 341 passes for 2,602 yards and 24 touchdowns with nine interceptions ... Rushed 133 times for 680 yards and 12 scores ... All-CIF Southern Section West Valley Division as a senior.

PERSONAL
Full Name: Devon L. Modster… Born in North Torrance, Calif. … Parents: Rudy and Tess Modster … Has one brother, Sean ... His biggest thrill in sports to date has been playing in front of a huge crowd with his teammates in high school ... Lists the NFL's Cam Newton as the famous athlete he most admires ... Hobbies include tennis, hanging out with friends and playing video games ... Named to the Athletic Director's Academic Honor Roll in Fall 2016 ... Plans a major is Sociology.

(from UCLA Bruins site football roster)
Last edited by kwcat on Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:57 pm

Did not see a post with Jensen's highlights.

2 Gresch Jensen QB 6-2 225 So Auburn, WA / Mountainview

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:14 pm

RobertCats wrote:

Would like to see another flat lander at MSU and the right side of the mountain.
(His dad is a Sidney guy)

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:30 pm

bcatfan1 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:31 am
DriscollCat wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:25 am
Cat_gld wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:11 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:05 pm
Bsmithmsu wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:43 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:31 pm
onceacat wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:22 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:16 pm
Bsmithmsu wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:11 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:25 pm
Couple things regarding posts in this thread:

- I am 99.9% sure the BSC intraconference transfer rules are a moot point for Gresch due to his drop down to JUCO route...now he’s just viewed as a JUCO transfer so normal stuff there
- Gresch is definitely a talented QB and will help any team he lands on. If he came to bozeman i think he makes the cats an instant contender for conference championships since QB is your biggest missing piece
- there were a lot of posters here bashing Gresch prior to his first Cat-Griz game saying he isn’t all that great, was overrated, and isn’t that good of a QB. Glad to see you’ve all changed your tune :D
Gresh would no doubt make us contenders. He would probably be the best all around qb the cats would ha e since Lulay. Only issue is how quickly can the offense adapt to a new playbook and will we have enough good wr next year to get all of Gresh’s potential.
:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

C'mon man. DeNarius McGhee and Dakota Prukop would beg to differ.
I think he looked better as a Freshman than McGhee & he's already a far better passer than Prukop ever was. He doesn't have Prukops wheels, but that's a really minor concern with a QB. Well, maybe some Bobcats think differently...
I suppose Prukop is debatable. McGhee is not, especially his freshman year.
I don’t believe either of these two throw as clean of a pass that Gresh does. McGhee was just good at turning a broken play into something and Prukop must have bought his fame because I never was big on him. He showed glimmers of greatness now and then but just couldn’t get it all together.
After starting in the Big Sky, one of these QBs was offered a scholarship to Oregon, Alabama, and Michigan. Guess which one:

a) Gresch Jensen
b) Dakota Prukop
And, how did that turn out? Big joke!
Look, he is a professional football player now, so people better suited to evaluate football talent than any of us didn’t see his performance as a joke.
Also, he didn't play poorly during his brief stint as a starter at Oregon. But the team was not good that year and lost a few games early. Once they were out of contention, it only made sense to give the Freshman the starts to prepare for the future. It was pretty bum deal for Dakota, and I'm sure, in hindsight, he wouldn't have picked Oregon!
In addition he got his undergraduate degree from MSU, and was able to move past the coaching changes that he might not have cared for - I've always said "good for him".

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!