Transfer QB's in town this weekend

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Transfer QB's in town this weekend

Post by Grizaddict » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:35 pm

Bob Stitt just got hired with Texas State as their new OC. Will be interesting to see if Gresch Jensen follows him there. They have a pretty good relationship.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:38 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:35 pm
Bob Stitt just got hired with Texas State as their new OC. Will be interesting to see if Gresch Jensen follows him there. They have a pretty good relationship.
Compete for conference titles and have a chance at playoff runs, or play for a losing team with no fan base? I'm not sure there is anything to think about, good relationship or not.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:39 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:34 am
onceacat wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:33 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:36 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:35 am
onceacat wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:16 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:15 pm
onceacat wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:20 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:25 pm
Couple things regarding posts in this thread:

- I am 99.9% sure the BSC intraconference transfer rules are a moot point for Gresch due to his drop down to JUCO route...now he’s just viewed as a JUCO transfer so normal stuff there
- Gresch is definitely a talented QB and will help any team he lands on. If he came to bozeman i think he makes the cats an instant contender for conference championships since QB is your biggest missing piece
- there were a lot of posters here bashing Gresch prior to his first Cat-Griz game saying he isn’t all that great, was overrated, and isn’t that good of a QB. Glad to see you’ve all changed your tune :D
I was hoping we would offer him as soon as he announced he was leaving UM-back when we still thought Murray was coming back. He's an order of magnitude better as a passer than anyone on an MSU roster since D-Mac graduated. OK, maybe not order of magnitude, but he's clearly substantially better than anyone since McGhee. I agree he makes us an instant contender.

Regarding the transfer rule: the way I read it, it only applies to financial aid. You can transfer BSC to BSC as long as you aren't on scholarship. He would have to pay his way with out of state tuition if he came here. If he were my kid, I'd probably suck it up & pay the $7k, but I have no idea what his family finances are like. Considering that he's going to graduate without any other student debt, that seems like a pretty cheap price to pay to have the inside track & spring season jump on a starting spot on a playoff team.
You are correct on the financial aid part. However, with Gresch transferring to a JUCO the Big Sky to Big Sky has been eliminated all together. He is free and clear to go wherever he wants with no restrictions and no financial aid or scholarship parameters.
Next fall, right? If he wants to enroll at MSU in order to be here for spring practice, he couldn’t be on scholarship, right?
It is my understanding he is no longer a Big Sky to Big Sky intra-conference transfer. That was eliminated when he went to Fullerton College. He is now simply a JUCO transfer and can go wherever he wants with no restrictions.
This is correct.
There are never restrictions on where you can go, only on financial aid. So he can’t be on scholarship in the spring. He could have transferred here as a walk on last fall as long as he was willing to come on his own dime. The Big asks prohibits offering financial aid for one school year after the student-athlete transfers.
Because he went JUCO the financial restrictions are gone. His use of a year of eligibility at a school that was not in the Big Sky means that he can play at at a Big Sky school on scholarship.
But he hasn't used a year yet. He's used one semester.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:43 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:38 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Compete for conference titles and have a chance at playoff runs, or play for a losing team with no fan base? I'm not sure there is anything to think about, good relationship or not.
He might be thinking Stitt is a guy that could get him to the NFL though. Maybe he doesn't care about fan bases or conference titles. I don't think it seems all that crazy.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:43 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
There’s so much more though. So many of these kids want to play FBS, good team or not. And in this situation, Gresch was very vocal about his support for Stitt. You can tell they are very tight. To be able to play for your mentor and plug directly into his system without missing a step, that’s pretty attractive. And that system helped Gresch make a splash into the Big Sky and FCS landscape.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:46 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:39 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:

- I am 99.9% sure the BSC intraconference transfer rules are a moot point for Gresch due to his drop down to JUCO route...now he’s just viewed as a JUCO transfer so normal stuff there
- Gresch is definitely a talented QB and will help any team he lands on. If he came to bozeman i think he makes the cats an instant contender for conference championships since QB is your biggest missing piece
- there were a lot of posters here bashing Gresch prior to his first Cat-Griz game saying he isn’t all that great, was overrated, and isn’t that good of a QB. Glad to see you’ve all changed your tune :D
I was hoping we would offer him as soon as he announced he was leaving UM-back when we still thought Murray was coming back. He's an order of magnitude better as a passer than anyone on an MSU roster since D-Mac graduated. OK, maybe not order of magnitude, but he's clearly substantially better than anyone since McGhee. I agree he makes us an instant contender.

Regarding the transfer rule: the way I read it, it only applies to financial aid. You can transfer BSC to BSC as long as you aren't on scholarship. He would have to pay his way with out of state tuition if he came here. If he were my kid, I'd probably suck it up & pay the $7k, but I have no idea what his family finances are like. Considering that he's going to graduate without any other student debt, that seems like a pretty cheap price to pay to have the inside track & spring season jump on a starting spot on a playoff team.
You are correct on the financial aid part. However, with Gresch transferring to a JUCO the Big Sky to Big Sky has been eliminated all together. He is free and clear to go wherever he wants with no restrictions and no financial aid or scholarship parameters.
Next fall, right? If he wants to enroll at MSU in order to be here for spring practice, he couldn’t be on scholarship, right?
It is my understanding he is no longer a Big Sky to Big Sky intra-conference transfer. That was eliminated when he went to Fullerton College. He is now simply a JUCO transfer and can go wherever he wants with no restrictions.
This is correct.
There are never restrictions on where you can go, only on financial aid. So he can’t be on scholarship in the spring. He could have transferred here as a walk on last fall as long as he was willing to come on his own dime. The Big asks prohibits offering financial aid for one school year after the student-athlete transfers.
Because he went JUCO the financial restrictions are gone. His use of a year of eligibility at a school that was not in the Big Sky means that he can play at at a Big Sky school on scholarship.
This might sound crazy but have you considered that Choate wouldn't have offered Jensen (including scholarship) if he wasn't available to play immediately?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:59 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:43 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
He might be thinking Stitt is a guy that could get him to the NFL though. Maybe he doesn't care about fan bases or conference titles. I don't think it seems all that crazy.
I don't think it's crazy. Personally though I'd rather play for a team competing for championships than a garbage team just because they are FBS. If you are an NFL talent you will get noticed.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:07 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:46 pm
onceacat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:

This is correct.
This might sound crazy but have you considered that Choate wouldn't have offered Jensen (including scholarship) if he wasn't available to play immediately?
Did he have a scholarship offer for spring? I thought the offer was for next fall. Do we even have any scholarships available for spring? He would obviously be available to play next fall. Thats a non issue. Its showing up for classes next month that's in question.

Heck, with Stitt landing at Texas State and the offer on the table from ISU, its not even clear that he'll be coming here, let alone in January.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:22 pm

onceacat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:

This is correct.
One year, one playing season, of use. As in, freshman year, junior year, etc.

Point being, he's eligible, he can play, he can be on scholarship, you're arguing about a big nothing burger.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:55 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:22 pm
onceacat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:

This is correct.

Point being, he's eligible, he can play, he can be on scholarship, you're arguing about a big nothing burger.
The question I was replying to (and its not even in this thread) is if he could come here in time to compete at Spring practice. So, no, not unless he gives up his JUCO scholarship and pays his own way. As soon as Spring semester is over, he can join the team, just like any other offer.

Same as Murray...he can potentially walk-on this spring but he has to pay his own tuition.

I've been thinking Gresh was a shoo-in for the starting job, but thinking about the off season, I'm not quite as sure. Murray is a known quantity, we've at least seen Rovig against a Top 5 team & two really talented true frosh. I'd still love to see him here, but I'm not sure its as clear cut as I thought it was.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:03 am

onceacat wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:55 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
onceacat wrote:

This is correct.

The question I was replying to (and its not even in this thread) is if he could come here in time to compete at Spring practice. So, no, not unless he gives up his JUCO scholarship and pays his own way. As soon as Spring semester is over, he can join the team, just like any other offer.

Same as Murray...he can potentially walk-on this spring but he has to pay his own tuition.

I've been thinking Gresh was a shoo-in for the starting job, but thinking about the off season, I'm not quite as sure. Murray is a known quantity, we've at least seen Rovig against a Top 5 team & two really talented true frosh. I'd still love to see him here, but I'm not sure its as clear cut as I thought it was.
As many many others have stated, gresch can come in this spring and receive a scholarship right away. It will be interesting to see if stitt recruits him to Texas.

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:55 am

I think a big draw for any Transfer QB to MSU is a veteran OL both this coming year and the following year. The easiest way to make a QB look good is to have a good run game and time to throw. GO CATS!

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:28 am

onceacat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
onceacat wrote:

This is correct.

How does that work if he graduates JUCO? He might not have a scholarship there anymore because he graduates.

The other thing bouncing around in my brain. Hauck was at NAU and then went to the Griz and played this year. No delay there. If there is a will, there is a way.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:18 am

exppi wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:28 am
onceacat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:

This is correct.

How does that work if he graduates JUCO? He might not have a scholarship there anymore because he graduates.

The other thing bouncing around in my brain. Hauck was at NAU and then went to the Griz and played this year. No delay there. If there is a will, there is a way.
Robby was not forced to sit out a year because of special circumstances following his dad. It was still a huge uphill battle for that to go his way. First, Jerome at NAU had to sign off with his blessing, then the Bog Sky Conf had to sign off and approve, and finally the NCAA had to approve it, which they denied initially. Griz appealed and then NCAA finally approved him playing right away.

Gresch situation is entirely different. Robby was an intraconference transfer and Gresch is not since he went JUCO. Now Gresh it is simply a JUCO transfer just like many of the players already on the Cats and Griz, there are no restrictions or stipulations.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:41 pm

Starting next fall, there are no restrictions. A transfer needs to sit out ONE FULL academic year for scholarship purposes only. That means Gresh can transfer here for Spring Ball, but can't be on scholarship. OR, he can transfer here and pay full out of state tuition FOR SPRING BALL.

https://missoulian.com/sports/college/b ... 2fadb.html

This is 2013, but I can't find anything newer. https://static.bigskyconf.com/custompag ... 2013.pdfHe needs to go JUCO for one full year in order to accept financial aid from MSU.

Its only a concern because the young QBs are clearly quite talented, and I could see them having a big head start by taking snaps in the Spring.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:50 pm

You're wrong. Just accept it and move on.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:09 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:50 pm
So when the rule says "one year" it really means "one semester"? Gotcha. I'm wrong, I'll move on.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:25 pm

onceacat wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:09 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:50 pm
So when the rule says "one year" it really means "one semester"? Gotcha. I'm wrong, I'll move on.
This is directly from the article you just posted:

“When an athlete who is receiving athletically related financial aid transfers within the Big Sky, they have to sit out for “one full academic year (two full semesters or three full quarters excluding summer) before eligible to compete,” according to the rule.”

You are getting confused on one major part of this, “when an athlete transfers WITHIN the Big Sky”. Gresch is NO LONGER a Big Sky to Big Sky (intraconference) transfer. That was completely eliminated when he dropped down to JUCO. He is now a JUCO transfer with no restrictions.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:28 pm

Also, don't overlook the "eligible to compete" phrase. A transfer like Jensen could participate in the Spring Semester and Spring Football, since he is not "competing" inter-collegiately.

Darth Yoda

Post by Darth Yoda » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:30 pm

Is onceacat a griz troll? Doesn't "once a cat" imply no longer a Cat? If you reread all the posts from the beginning with this filter, it all starts to make perfect sense.