Transfer QB's in town this weekend

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Transfer QB's in town this weekend

Post by rivercat » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:51 pm

Listening to Tootell & Nuanez this afternoon. Colter said Gresch Jensen and a P5 qb that he couldn't identify at this time were visiting MSU.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Transfer QB's in town this weekend

Post by CelticCat » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:56 pm

Some discussion in the recruiting thread on this. I'd guess Devod Modster UCLA but you never know.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:59 am

rivercat wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:51 pm
Listening to Tootell & Nuanez this afternoon. Colter said Gresch Jensen and a P5 qb that he couldn't identify at this time were visiting MSU.
I have mixed feelings about signing more QB's. We already have Troy, Rovig, Bauman, and Beltran. And that does not include Jonsen who I assume is no longer a candidate. We have also received a verbal from Hayden Ekern out of Chicago. Seems like plenty of young talent to work with. Do we really want to spend more scholarships on a QB?

Personally I want to see Troy back at QB after a full offseason and spring of working on his passing.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:01 am

84CatGrad wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:59 am
rivercat wrote:
I have mixed feelings about signing more QB's. We already have Troy, Rovig, Bauman, and Beltran. And that does not include Jonsen who I assume is no longer a candidate. We have also received a verbal from Hayden Ekern out of Chicago. Seems like plenty of young talent to work with. Do we really want to spend more scholarships on a QB?

Personally I want to see Troy back at QB after a full offseason and spring of working on his passing.
I'd rather watch Troy blowing up other teams QBs.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:06 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:01 am
84CatGrad wrote:
rivercat wrote:

I'd rather watch Troy blowing up other teams QBs.
Agreed. As much as I like what Troy brings at QB, if we get one of the transfers rumored and we move Troy to LB, we get better at 2 positions.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:18 am

I love watching Troy play QB, but I don’t want to see him there next year and I highly doubt I will.

Hayden Ekern will not play QB here. Probably safety. He’s not a good high school QB. Completed less than half his passes. Threw more interceptions (4) than TDs (1).

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:22 am

84CatGrad wrote:
rivercat wrote:

In my opinion, this team has a chance to be special next year and cannot afford to miss on a QB. If that means bringing in 2 or 3 new guys and having 6-7 dudes battle it out over spring and summer, that's what we need to do. While Troy was fantastic as a QB, I don't think we can afford to be stuck in a situation where we need to use him again. Additionally, I honestly don't think Troy wants to be QB next year.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:00 am

84CatGrad wrote:
rivercat wrote:

We need more and better QBs. Jonsen is not a QB, Andersen really isn't one either but has performed remarkably well. But still, against good teams he's a liability in the passing game.

Adding a veteran to compete with Rovig and Bauman would be very good. I like Beltran, but I think he's a high quality backup. I would like to add another HS QB recruit.

QB is the weakest position on our team. We must fix it.

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:02 am

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:22 am
84CatGrad wrote:
rivercat wrote:

In my opinion, this team has a chance to be special next year and cannot afford to miss on a QB. If that means bringing in 2 or 3 new guys and having 6-7 dudes battle it out over spring and summer, that's what we need to do. While Troy was fantastic as a QB, I don't think we can afford to be stuck in a situation where we need to use him again. Additionally, I honestly don't think Troy wants to be QB next year.
Preach.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:04 am

84CatGrad wrote:
rivercat wrote:

I’m not saying you have said this specifically, but the main knock on Choate so far is that in year 3 they still don’t have an answer at qb (I know there is more to it than that, but that seems to be the general sentiment).
Choate isn’t sitting back and assuming everything will be good for next year with what he has. He’s going out there and bringing in competition to ensure that the qb position is better next year than it was this year.
I doubt both guys on campus right now will come here, it’s more likely one or the other.
I think that sets up well for a great competition next year between Rovig, Bauman, Beltran and a transfer, almost guaranteeing that someone other than TA is qb and whoever that is should be pretty good to beat out the other guys at that position.

I agree with what others have said, if the Cats have a good qb next year, they could be something special, the coaching staff knows this too, they can’t afford to not have someone ready next year.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:12 am

iaafan wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:18 am
I love watching Troy play QB, but I don’t want to see him there next year and I highly doubt I will.

Hayden Ekern will not play QB here. Probably safety. He’s not a good high school QB. Completed less than half his passes. Threw more interceptions (4) than TDs (1).

He was a Bob Cole recruit and has not returned any communication inquiring if he remains committed with Cole no longer at Montana State.

CatBob
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by CatBob » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:19 am

I say go after Khalil Tate. He seems to be looking for a place to play. He may have the skills the Cats are looking for in a qb... 8)

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:23 am

Honestly, I would not be surprised if we lose at least one of our current rostered QBs in the offseason, transfering out of MSU. Possibly a couple guys leaving if we bring in a transfer/drop-down QB. We have quite a few young guys competing for that position, and it t will become very clear next spring that someone is not gonna get to be a QB at MSU. Not saying anything negative; it's just a reality of college football.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:24 am

I think we will be fine, if we get a transfer. We have 2 guys on the roster now that could become that guy, adding a transfer would increase competition. All they have to do is beat out a converted linebacker. If they cant beat out TA then with how much he has improved we would still be fine.

I am assuming that Murray is not coming back and any FR recruit wont be ready for next year.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:47 am

I'm guessing Bauman might still be a year away. No reason for that, just a gut feeling. I think really the only guy who is going to be ready for spring ball is Rovig. Which begs the question, do you have Andersen practice in the spring at QB or LB? It's kind of a crucial decision on the future of Andersen. If you want him in the conversation at QB next year, you need him taking reps in spring. But if not, you have to trust that one of the other QBs on the roster will take the job in the fall, or that a transfer will come in and take it.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:51 am

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:47 am
I'm guessing Bauman might still be a year away. No reason for that, just a gut feeling. I think really the only guy who is going to be ready for spring ball is Rovig. Which begs the question, do you have Andersen practice in the spring at QB or LB? It's kind of a crucial decision on the future of Andersen. If you want him in the conversation at QB next year, you need him taking reps in spring. But if not, you have to trust that one of the other QBs on the roster will take the job in the fall, or that a transfer will come in and take it.
I think Troy moves to defense for the spring. I sort of look at his situation like we are adding a 4* JC linebacker with 2 years of eligibility remaining.

As for Rovig, I really hope he's ready to go by spring, but foot fractures are tricky. Sometimes they heal fine, sometimes they never fully heal and re-break requiring surgery.

2-B-Champ
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 2-B-Champ » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:51 am

rivercat wrote:
Gresch Jensen was on Campus last Tuesday after the Griz game, going to Idaho State and another school before making a decision.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:18 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:12 am
iaafan wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:18 am

He was a Bob Cole recruit and has not returned any communication inquiring if he remains committed with Cole no longer at Montana State.
Not returned any communication with you or the Cats football staff?

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:27 am

I agree that having TA not at QB would be the best for the team. I'm assuming if he doesn't play QB his roll will be LB with some RB (maybe some wildcat) but that is yet to be determined. It is kinda odd that we currently have an unanimous 1st team BSC QB who is a sophomore and we're hoping that he doesn't come back and play QB.

As far as who is the QB .... I'm assuming there will be a transfer brought in with at least 2 years of eligibility left. So whoever that is along with Bauman, Rovig, Beltran and TA if needed. In this scenario I don't see all three, Bauman, Rovig & Beltran remaining. Possibly 2 might leave because they might be thinking that they Could be #3 on the depth chart for the next 2 years behind the transfer and possibly TA. Hopefully a transfer and at least 2 of the QB's on the roster now have a great competition this spring thru to the fall and it makes all three better which results in an outstanding QB at the helm that isn't TA.

I think our chance of having good QB play is better the next couple of years not only because of the upcoming competition that is likely to occur, but we will only lose 1 starter off the OL this year and most likely only 1 next year as well. An experienced OL along with a very good run game will help an average QB perform well. GO CATS!

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:08 pm

2-B-Champ wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:51 am
rivercat wrote:
Gresch Jensen was on Campus last Tuesday after the Griz game, going to Idaho State and another school before making a decision.
Choate has previously said in press conferences if they can get a recruit to Bozeman for a campus visit, there's almost a 100% chance he'll commit. I think he was mostly referring to high schoolers.

GJ is a little different because he has credentials, and thus, more bargaining power. Our sorcery and ace in the hole might not have any effect on his decision to the same extent a high schooler.

Between GJ and this other dude, I would hope we land GJ just because we know there are no surprises. He's already been vetted and put through wringer. I don't think we'd have to worry about whether he's going to slap around some chick or go out and get in fights.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.