Next Year Expectations

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Next Year Expectations

Post by technoCat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:56 pm

With the schedule next year I would expect 9 wins. Can't wait to see how recruiting goes!

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:16 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:34 pm
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:33 pm
utucats wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:28 pm
Bump. Onto next year. Did today change anyone’s expectations for next season?
Not a bit. We're a deep, physical, maturing team, that will be ranked in the top 15 the lion's share of next season. The rock got rolling down the hill today, and we weren't up to stopping it. That's a great team, the bizons. Our arrow is up; today was house money.

Could not have said it better myself.
I don’t like the idea that we can get blown out by 6 scores and it’s “house money”. That was a bad loss.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:16 pm

It was amazing that this team made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs to lose badly to the best program in the history of FCS today with a great LB/RB playing QB all season. Definitely house money. Had we won it would have been the biggest upset in college playoff history. A closer game would have been nice, but I also don't see any reason to be down on the team or the program right now. They definitely exceeded my expectations (and those of everyone else that pays any attention) by a whole bunch. I'm really excited for the future.

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:48 pm

I like what Coach Choate said after the game: He says he knows what he needs to do: RECRUIT!

Next year's QB situation will be very interesting, especially if Chris Murray is back. I vote for TA to
play on defense.

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:16 am

Not at all. Though it does open the eyes to the level you have to be at to beat the Bison.

I’m so proud of this year’s team and so excited for next year’s team!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:27 am

This isn't smack on the Grizzlies, but a reminder to Cat fans that UM in its hey-day lost to WIU in 1998 52-9 in the first round (round of 16) and WIU was no NDSU, nor did they make it the championship game and I think they lost out the next week. The Grizzlies were in the national championship just two years later in 2000 and won it in 2001. My point being: a loss like MSU experienced can just as easily a prompt to greater success.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:33 am

onceacat wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:16 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
utucats wrote:
Not a bit. We're a deep, physical, maturing team, that will be ranked in the top 15 the lion's share of next season. The rock got rolling down the hill today, and we weren't up to stopping it. That's a great team, the bizons. Our arrow is up; today was house money.

I don’t like the idea that we can get blown out by 6 scores and it’s “house money”. That was a bad loss.
Your negative posts all season have really gotten old.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:34 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:27 am
This isn't smack on the Grizzlies, but a reminder to Cat fans that UM in its hey-day lost to WIU in 1998 52-9 in the first round (round of 16) and WIU was no NDSU, nor did they make it the championship game and I think they lost out the next week. The Grizzlies were in the national championship just two years later in 2000 and won it in 2001. My point being: a loss like MSU experienced can just as easily a prompt to greater success.
Great post. We still have some work ahead of us, but the future looks bright!

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:30 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:33 am
onceacat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
utucats wrote:

Apologies. When did being frustrated by losing by 42 become "negative" postings? I'll be pretty frustrated if we lose to Texas Tech by 42 next fall, too.

I guess I remember not that long ago when a 7-4 record & a blowout loss in Round 2 of the playoffs was a bad season. I think it was a decent season, just not great.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:52 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:30 pm
Cataholic wrote:
onceacat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
utucats wrote:

Apologies. When did being frustrated by losing by 42 become "negative" postings? I'll be pretty frustrated if we lose to Texas Tech by 42 next fall, too.

I guess I remember not that long ago when a 7-4 record & a blowout loss in Round 2 of the playoffs was a bad season. I think it was a decent season, just not great.
Each season is different though. We were picked 8th in the league. Our schedule was brutal. Our qb situation was a mess. Nearly NO ONE thought we were a playoff team when this season started. It looked even bleaker about 5 weeks ago. And yet here we are. A team that won 5 straight games before running into an NDSU buzzsaw. A team almost guaranteed to be national champs again.

Losing by 42 is never fun. I think they should have kept it a bit closer than that. But I don’t know how anyone can look at this team and all they overcame this season and not be happy with how they performed?

Personally I am VERY proud of this team.

orsalak
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by orsalak » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:21 pm

9-4 or 10-4

22-0

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:48 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:27 am
That's a great point and I think Choate, by his comment that he needs to go recruiting, knows what holes he has to fill. Will he be able to land the players he needs???

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:14 pm

onceacat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
onceacat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
utucats wrote:

Even when we win, you make negative comments. If you put the slightest bit of positivity in a post, you always add “but” and then qualify it with a negative comment. It reminds me of the entitled Griz fans of yesteryear. They could go 9-2 during the regular season and say the coach is on the “hot seat”. This was a remarkable season under difficult circumstances and over 95% of posters are encouraged by the progress. I recall that you are younger poster and patience is not something your generation is familiar with. I am just glad that you have no input on decision making with the staff because we would be a in constant rebuild with a new coach every year.

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:38 pm

2016: 4-7, 2-6 in conference
2017: 5-6, 5-3 in conference
2018: 7-4, 5-3 in conference

So I guess another step forward would be:

2019: 9-3, 6-1 in conference

TTU is the obvious loss off the top. If UCD is as good next year, then playing them on the road is a logical spot to peg another one, and you figure they drop maybe one of the other OOC games (SEMO, WIU, NFST, UND).

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:57 pm

onceacat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
onceacat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
utucats wrote:

This is just my opinion but any year we beat the pink bears, it's a good year.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:04 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:20 pm
onceacat wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:22 pm
Cledus wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:16 pm
WalkOn79 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:50 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:25 pm
Not worried about UC Davis, but EWU and Weber, yes very concerned. uC Davis will be a one hit wonder, EWU and Weber are proven and a they are a thorn in our side.
I say 7-4 for us next year
But we don't play either, so we're going to be better than a 7 win team
Plus, I think we have a twelve game schedule. I expect us to finish no worse than 8-4.
I think 8-4 next year is really disappointing given how easy our schedule looks at this point. Ceiling of 11-1, floor of 9-3.
Ceiling is definitely 11-1 but I would say the floor is 8-4 not 9-3. We open against and FBS school and then an FCS playoff team. After that we go to WIU, a team we barely beat at home this year. After the 'Necks it's very realistic that we win every game until UC Davis, another playoff team. Cat-Griz is of course a toss up (we'll be a better team but so will they).

With a full offseason to develop our QBs and a style that suits them the offense should be much better. The big question is how the D-line recovers from losing all the current senior leadership.

I can see us reeling off 11 straight wins after giving Texas Tech a bit of a scare but I can also see us starting slow at 0-2 or even 0-3 with a new OC and then not getting the breaks to fall our way over the last two weeks.
Why do people think we'll have a new OC? I think Matt's the guy and he'll be with us for a few years.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:41 pm

Feels like a good time for a limerick:

Have you heard of a Coach named Choate?
Who is quickly righting the Bobcat boat?
He keeps whooping the bears,
Sure, he's made some errors,
But can you think of a coach with bigger scrote?

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:12 am

WalkOn79 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:04 pm
coloradocat wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Cledus wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Not worried about UC Davis, but EWU and Weber, yes very concerned. uC Davis will be a one hit wonder, EWU and Weber are proven and a they are a thorn in our side.
Plus, I think we have a twelve game schedule. I expect us to finish no worse than 8-4.
I think 8-4 next year is really disappointing given how easy our schedule looks at this point. Ceiling of 11-1, floor of 9-3.
Ceiling is definitely 11-1 but I would say the floor is 8-4 not 9-3. We open against and FBS school and then an FCS playoff team. After that we go to WIU, a team we barely beat at home this year. After the 'Necks it's very realistic that we win every game until UC Davis, another playoff team. Cat-Griz is of course a toss up (we'll be a better team but so will they).

With a full offseason to develop our QBs and a style that suits them the offense should be much better. The big question is how the D-line recovers from losing all the current senior leadership.

I can see us reeling off 11 straight wins after giving Texas Tech a bit of a scare but I can also see us starting slow at 0-2 or even 0-3 with a new OC and then not getting the breaks to fall our way over the last two weeks.
Why do people think we'll have a new OC? I think Matt's the guy and he'll be with us for a few years.
Matt has done an admirable job, but I tend to expect Coach Choate to bring in extremely high caliber staff. I am expecting Choate to reveal someone with a track record on the offensive side of the ball similar to Gregorak on the defensive side. Choate specifically used the word “acting” when referring to Millers current role. My sense is that it wasn’t inadvertent that he used that word.

That is based on nothing but his track record for bringing in big time guys on his staff.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:26 am

DriscollCat wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:12 am
WalkOn79 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Cledus wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:

Matt has done an admirable job, but I tend to expect Coach Choate to bring in extremely high caliber staff. I am expecting Choate to reveal someone with a track record on the offensive side of the ball similar to Gregorak on the defensive side. Choate specifically used the word “acting” when referring to Millers current role. My sense is that it wasn’t inadvertent that he used that word.

That is based on nothing but his track record for bringing in big time guys on his staff.
True, but Choate has also described Miller as a rising star in the coaching world. Demoting him would likely mean losing him, which I don't think Choate wants to do. I think there's a good chance he stays at OC.

Long Time Cat

Post by Long Time Cat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:50 am

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:26 am
DriscollCat wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:12 am
WalkOn79 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Cledus wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:

True, but Choate has also described Miller as a rising star in the coaching world. Demoting him would likely mean losing him, which I don't think Choate wants to do. I think there's a good chance he stays at OC.
Bob Cole was an experienced Coach that many including myself had high hopes for and that didn’t work out. If Choate is sincere in his praise for Miller and I have every reason to believe he is I would expect Miller to stay.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi