Next Year Expectations

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BisonCardinal
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: Next Year Expectations

Post by BisonCardinal » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:57 pm

RickRund wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:51 pm
There have been several posts regarding NDSU vs CATS weight programs. I realize it is much more than just pumping out reps. Does anyone know anything about their program and how/if it differs from ours?
RR, good question. I really enjoyed the Iowa Hawkeyes message boards after we beat them in 2016. How did our 80K S&C coach and program run circles around their 600K S&C coach and program in the fourth quarter?

My two cents is:
1) respect and desire to performance for Jim Kramer (our S&C coach)
2) sodium analysis - NDSU and Sanford Health(major sponsor) analyse each players sodium needs so they can intake rehydration best suited for them.
3)employ a full time nutritionist
4)spend money on a full fledged fueling station at all times.

I don't think I am spilling any trade secrets as the sodium analysis was published in the Fargo Forum several years back after we defeated a substantial P5 program.

Good luck to the Bobcats program next year.

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:35 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:57 pm
Now that the season is over:

@TTU: L
SEMO: Toss up - W
@WIU: Toss up - W
NFS: W
NAU: W
@CP: W
SCS: W
@UND: Toss up - L
SUU: W
@UNC: W
@UCD: Toss up - W
UM: Toss Up - W

I think we give TTU a game for longer than they expect and that gives us confidence going into SEMO. We play better against SEMO than we expect and use that momentum to win at WIU. After that we roll until we take a trip back to North Dakota and luck doesn't go our way (gotta happen at some point in the season). We recover over the next two weeks and squeak out a comeback win at Davis. Never know what's going to happen in Cat/griz but four straight sounds pretty nice.

10-2
I like this , I’m just a optimist until proven wrong . I think we got some culture wins this year ,considering the adversity
We faced. I think with another year or two , of buy in of culture and some maturity we are on track for a come and go,
Next man up , plug and play program . The culture will carry the program . I see the Bigsky changing from the high flying
Offense to the physical run first tough defense that plays in December . When you look at Weber , Best has Ewu going that direction , that’s our DNA and you know that will be um in time ,Barney ball , Cal Poly, the Sky is fixing to get physical, we’re a head of the curve in that respect I think . Good times are coming for the Cats.

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

wapiti

Post by wapiti » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:01 am

technoCat wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:26 pm
wapiti wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:08 pm
Here is my guess at next year:

SEMO: W
@WIU: L Toss Up
@CP: W Toss Up
BYE
@UND: W
@UCD: L
UM: W Toss Up

Putting us at best 9-3
or at worst 7-5
I agree mostly other than I would switch the L at WIU to a win and the toss up from CP to NAU. WIU loses a lot of pieces and will most likely not be as good next year. So 10-2 max, 7-5 min in other words. I see NAU as more dangerous than CP. Their backups got a lot of playing time this year and they always seem to step up for their competition.
NAU will have a new HC next year and was not very good this year. Plus the NAU game will be in Bozeman. We should get the W against NAU.

The CP game will be at CP, thus making is a toss up. And CP showed improvement thought the season this year and I predict they will build on that even though Prothero (sp) will be gone.

(I was tempted to make the UND game a toss up too.)

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:53 am

BisonCardinal wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:57 pm
RickRund wrote:
There have been several posts regarding NDSU vs CATS weight programs. I realize it is much more than just pumping out reps. Does anyone know anything about their program and how/if it differs from ours?
RR, good question. I really enjoyed the Iowa Hawkeyes message boards after we beat them in 2016. How did our 80K S&C coach and program run circles around their 600K S&C coach and program in the fourth quarter?

My two cents is:
2) sodium analysis - NDSU and Sanford Health(major sponsor) analyse each players sodium needs so they can intake rehydration best suited for them.

I don't think I am spilling any trade secrets as the sodium analysis was published in the Fargo Forum several years back after we defeated a substantial P5 program.

I myself have never heard about the sodium analysis being done, but makes absolute sense. Athletes getting the necessary nutrients for their muscles in order to perform at peak levels during crucial moments. I didn't see it as much this year as I have in years past were players on the ground holding their legs because of cramps. If MSU has taken part of the sodium analysis in players cramping would be something that would certainly be limited or at least reduced because of it. Good to know.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:06 pm

Team10 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:53 am
BisonCardinal wrote:
RickRund wrote:

My two cents is:

I myself have never heard about the sodium analysis being done, but makes absolute sense. Athletes getting the necessary nutrients for their muscles in order to perform at peak levels during crucial moments. I didn't see it as much this year as I have in years past were players on the ground holding their legs because of cramps. If MSU has taken part of the sodium analysis in players cramping would be something that would certainly be limited or at least reduced because of it. Good to know.
I remember in boot camp cramping up pretty bad in the middle of the night. Not once, but several times. I finally said something to my senior drill instructor and he told me to make sure I was putting salt on my food. I started doing that at every meal and to this day have never had another cramp. From what I remember, it doesn't take much. Just enough to taste.

I was in the infantry and we were pretty active, so I don't buy for a minute that football players are more active, sweating more, burning more calories, etc.

So, now I'm curious about "sodium analysis." There might be something to it, but it sounds kind of new age-y to me.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:29 pm

I think Brittney is doing a fantastic job with the resources she is given.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Team10

Post by Team10 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:16 pm

Cledus wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:06 pm
Team10 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:53 am
BisonCardinal wrote:
RickRund wrote:

My two cents is:

I remember in boot camp cramping up pretty bad in the middle of the night. Not once, but several times. I finally said something to my senior drill instructor and he told me to make sure I was putting salt on my food. I started doing that at every meal and to this day have never had another cramp. From what I remember, it doesn't take much. Just enough to taste.

I was in the infantry and we were pretty active, so I don't buy for a minute that football players are more active, sweating more, burning more calories, etc.

So, now I'm curious about "sodium analysis." There might be something to it, but it sounds kind of new age-y to me.
Have you played football? Not being snarky, that's a serious questions. There is a difference between being "pretty active" and going zero to 100 for four hours over and over and over again. I shouldn't really need to explain how many times some of those guys have to fight through blocks and pick themselves up after each and every play. On top of that the fact that more lean muscle burns more calories, and these guys are stacked with that, proves they will burn more calories in the same amount of time.

However, I do like the simpleness of, put enough salt on your food until you can taste it.

lakesbison

Post by lakesbison » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:46 pm

no way you lose to und next year, they will be like 3-8

i see you goin 9-3 & do better in the playoffs and maybe put you opposite bracket of NDSU :)

Catfanatic84

Post by Catfanatic84 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:02 am

lakesbison wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:46 pm

i see you goin 9-3 & do better in the playoffs and maybe put you opposite bracket of NDSU :)
Lakebison....what's the appetite in Fargo for signing up for another home and home series with the Cats.....(we'll promise not to buy it out this time!)....I'd like to see NDSU in Bozeman for Gold Rush!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:06 am

Catfanatic84 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:02 am
lakesbison wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:46 pm

Lakebison....what's the appetite in Fargo for signing up for another home and home series with the Cats.....(we'll promise not to buy it out this time!)....I'd like to see NDSU in Bozeman for Gold Rush!
Dear God, why? Everyone else in the FCS is playing for 2nd place.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:14 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:22 pm
btribby wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:51 pm
I think next year will be tough. I am not nearly as optimistic as everyone else. Here is what I see.

SEMO: L
@WIU: L
@UND: L
UM: Toss Up

We go into the Cat/griz game sitting at 6-5. However, this is a ridiculously early prediction. So much will change between recruiting and the hiring of coaches.
BTribby, serious question, since we've been friends for a while. Why are you so down on Choate and this program? I remembered you as a super fan?
Hey Walkon. Sorry for the delay in my response. We are on a family hunt.

I'm not necessarily down on Choate. Do I get frustrated with his teams performances? Yes. But, I really really like how he represents Montana State. I am extremely down on the progress of the program. I know that Coach Ash left the cupboard pretty empty. And I realize what has happened at the QB position. But in my mind, this is Montana State. How in the heck can Weber, ISU, UND etc be more competitive and win Big Sky crowns while we seem to spin our tires inching forward. I believe that is unacceptable. I think that MSU should compete for Big Sky championships every year. I think losing seasons should almost never happen. So yes, I'm frustrated. But, this program finally showed its first signs of life under Choate starting the beginning of November. I have some confidence things are finally trending in the right direction. But, we still need a signature win to really get the ball rolling.

Hating the griz since 02.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:43 pm

btribby wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:14 pm
WalkOn79 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:22 pm
btribby wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:51 pm
I think next year will be tough. I am not nearly as optimistic as everyone else. Here is what I see.

SEMO: L
@WIU: L
@UND: L
UM: Toss Up

We go into the Cat/griz game sitting at 6-5. However, this is a ridiculously early prediction. So much will change between recruiting and the hiring of coaches.
BTribby, serious question, since we've been friends for a while. Why are you so down on Choate and this program? I remembered you as a super fan?
Hey Walkon. Sorry for the delay in my response. We are on a family hunt.

I'm not necessarily down on Choate. Do I get frustrated with his teams performances? Yes. But, I really really like how he represents Montana State. I am extremely down on the progress of the program. I know that Coach Ash left the cupboard pretty empty. And I realize what has happened at the QB position. But in my mind, this is Montana State. How in the heck can Weber, ISU, UND etc be more competitive and win Big Sky crowns while we seem to spin our tires inching forward. I believe that is unacceptable. I think that MSU should compete for Big Sky championships every year. I think losing seasons should almost never happen. So yes, I'm frustrated. But, this program finally showed its first signs of life under Choate starting the beginning of November. I have some confidence things are finally trending in the right direction. But, we still need a signature win to really get the ball rolling.
ISU and UND were more competative this year? :-^ :-^

But seriously, we would like to think MSU is such a great place but lots of kids see Bozeman as a hick town and honestly our facilities are falling behind. The only real advantage we have is our crowd size and that only goes so far. The fact that we have only had 3 losing seasons since 2002 is pretty incredible and you look at ISU and UND they have had far more bad seasons than really good ones. Heck even Weber was terrible for quite a few years.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:22 pm

I have to agree with btribby in some regards, that we should have expectations to at least make the playoffs every year. The location challenge only goes so far, we aren't the only program who faces it. I honestly don't know how our facilities compare to other FCS schools but I can't imagine it makes a big enough different to keep us from being a perennial top 25 team.

But recruiting to Bozeman is a challenge. Choate said himself, if they can get a kid to come out here on a recruiting trip it's an easy sell, but getting them here is a challenge mainly because it's expensive to fly into Bozeman.

On a related but sort of tangential note, did JetBlue recently come to Bozeman? The more carriers the better.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:00 pm

My expectations ... win the Big Sky Championship... win the NC.

Same as every season.

GO CATS!!!!