The Stuff: Yates or Collins?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

The Stuff: Yates or Collins?

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:03 pm

No one is really clear on who forced the fumble on The Stuff. MSU is checking on it. Collins was just given a national POW award and the story says it was him, but multiple other outlets said it was Yates initially. Maybe both? A lot went into making that play happen. Would be interested to hear Eastwood’s take someday.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Re: The Stuff: Yates or Collins?

Post by LTown Cat » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:25 pm

Looked like Collins to me.

spring creek cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by spring creek cat » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:29 pm

I thought Yates helmet knocked it loose and Collins sent it bouncing away!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:32 pm

Who was the dingdong poster (supposedly a bobcat fan) on here that was talking trash about Grant Collins a couple weeks ago...……………………………………………………………… I wonder how he feels about his play now?

FTG- GO CATS GO!

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:35 pm

At first I agreed with (cledus I think?) the guy who said that Collins got it. After watching it a few more times, I think it's clear that Yates hits his carrying arm hard enough that the ball starts to squirt out of the top of his grip, then I think Collins gets a piece of it, shooting it out of the bottom. I think it would have been a fumble without Collins, but who knows where it would have gone? Possibly into the end zone. For sure though, I think Yates deserves credit for the initial contact which devastated Eastwood's carrying arm.

Edit: this can be seen best from the slomo angle (especially if you slow it down further) which is the third angle shown (second after live).

Spartan23
New Recruit

Post by Spartan23 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:30 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:32 pm
Who was the dingdong poster (supposedly a bobcat fan) on here that was talking trash about Grant Collins a couple weeks ago...……………………………………………………………… I wonder how he feels about his play now?
Yes, Tall and rangy, Bobcat99 and Hiline Cat where are you guys?? Certainly, you will want to weigh in on the most over-rated player in the conference.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:50 pm

spring creek cat wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:29 pm
Yep. The end zone view is pretty clear that Grant actually pooped the ball out, but the jarring hit by Tucker got it all started.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:08 pm

How about we call it the Montana Stuff? Benson (Helena) and Yates (colstrip) destroy the OL. Collins (Bozeman) dives in and Marks (Belgrade) recovers.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:13 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:50 pm
spring creek cat wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:29 pm
Yep. The end zone view is pretty clear that Grant actually pooped the ball out, but the jarring hit by Tucker got it all started.
I don’t remember Grant pooping the ball out but I was drunk so might have missed that.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:01 pm

Spartan23 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:30 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Yes, Tall and rangy, Bobcat99 and Hiline Cat where are you guys?? Certainly, you will want to weigh in on the most over-rated player in the conference.
Hi.

I guess we’ll do this again.

I have never said Collins was the most overrated player in the conference, never said he was bad, awful, not good, etc etc etc.

Collins had an impactful game in Missoula. There were certain parts where he struggled, and obviously certain parts where he excelled. I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again, he’s probably the toughest player we have and a good leader. He’s not the type of player I prefer at Mike, but that doesn’t mean he’s bad. I could point out plays last Saturday where he was out of position, missed the play, etc etc, but we won and I’m not interested in doing that. There’s no point. Try to enjoy the win while you play off that whole “better fan” thing you got going on.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:04 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:08 pm
How about we call it the Montana Stuff? Benson (Helena) and Yates (colstrip) destroy the OL. Collins (Bozeman) dives in and Marks (Belgrade) recovers.
That’s a very cool way of looking at it. If you’re going to say #OwnTheState, this will back it up. Those four definitely owned that play. Last year Thomas did that, so it can be someone from any state.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Spartan23
New Recruit

Post by Spartan23 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:56 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:01 pm
Spartan23 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
Hi.

I have never said Collins was the most overrated player in the conference, never said he was bad, awful, not good, etc etc etc.

Collins had an impactful game in Missoula. There were certain parts where he struggled, and obviously certain parts where he excelled. I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again, he’s probably the toughest player we have and a good leader. He’s not the type of player I prefer at Mike, but that doesn’t mean he’s bad. I could point out plays last Saturday where he was out of position, missed the play, etc etc, but we won and I’m not interested in doing that. There’s no point. Try to enjoy the win while you play off that whole “better fan” thing you got going on.
You're right I will always be "the better fan" that advocates and defends the 85 student athletes that put their heart and soul out on the field every week so that fans like you can celebrate a big win when you are not busy contributing to 8 pages of garbage on why our linebacker corps are the weakest link on our defense. Clearly, you spent another Sunday breaking down game film and grading out our linebacker play because that's a fun way to celebrate the biggest victory against the Griz in years but, that's what you do. Why don't you start signing your name to all of this so we can start evaluating you and whether you are competent enough to do your job without any knowledge of your profession or if you have any issues or injuries that affect your job performance. Now, if you start putting together some evaluations that are based on actual facts instead of your opinion I will go away. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

desmond1957
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by desmond1957 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:54 pm

Great Post, I couldn't have said it better!! It's really sad that one or two posters have nothing better to do but hide behind an anonymous curtain and break down all the missed tackles and screwups that some young man had in a game where he won National Defensive Player of the Week. I fully support Spartan 23 's post, why don't you give us a synopsis of your credentials as a LB analyst? I think Grant did a great job, but I'll admit I'm biased, I'm his Grandpa and damned proud of him!!

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:02 pm

desmond1957 wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:54 pm
Great Post, I couldn't have said it better!! It's really sad that one or two posters have nothing better to do but hide behind an anonymous curtain and break down all the missed tackles and screwups that some young man had in a game where he won National Defensive Player of the Week. I fully support Spartan 23 's post, why don't you give us a synopsis of your credentials as a LB analyst? I think Grant did a great job, but I'll admit I'm biased, I'm his Grandpa and damned proud of him!!
Congratulations Desmond!! I didn’t realize he was your grandson. I would be damn proud of him too. Hell, I’m damn proud of him, and it’s just because he represents my team!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:08 pm

desmond1957 wrote:

That is awesome! =D^

FTG- GO CATS GO!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:13 pm

Spartan23 wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:56 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Spartan23 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
Hi.

You're right I will always be "the better fan" that advocates and defends the 85 student athletes that put their heart and soul out on the field every week so that fans like you can celebrate a big win when you are not busy contributing to 8 pages of garbage on why our linebacker corps are the weakest link on our defense. Clearly, you spent another Sunday breaking down game film and grading out our linebacker play because that's a fun way to celebrate the biggest victory against the Griz in years but, that's what you do. Why don't you start signing your name to all of this so we can start evaluating you and whether you are competent enough to do your job without any knowledge of your profession or if you have any issues or injuries that affect your job performance. Now, if you start putting together some evaluations that are based on actual facts instead of your opinion I will go away. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Sir, with all due respect, all of your posts have been about me. I think you need to move on, you’ve made your point.

I’ve posted before about some players strengths and weaknesses. I’ll be the first to admit I’m often wrong. So take what I say with a grain of salt. But I don’t believe I’ve attacked the character of a player. I’ve said some guys aren’t accurate enough, or fast enough, or have good enough hands. I think that’s ok. I love to discuss football, but I’m not going to only say positive things. Our team went 7-4. We’re not a bad team, but clearly we aren’t a completely positive team either.

I’m sorry that you took what I said personally, because it wasn’t a personal post. But like I said, all 6 of your posts since you signed up have been directed towards me and my criticism of some parts of a players game. You seem to ignore when I compliment him. It’s time for you to move on with this discussion, because I won’t be responding to you again.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:39 pm

Spartan23 wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:56 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Spartan23 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
Hi.

I'm also at a loss why anybody would be critical of this kid! How many shoulder surgeries have you guys had?? Grant you're THE MAN!!!!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:44 pm

desmond1957 wrote:
=D^ =D^ =D^ =D^ =D^

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:33 pm

Whether you’re impressed with Collins or not, he was a big factor in perhaps the greatest and what will be the most memorable play in MSU and Cat-Griz history. The only play I can think of in school history that is on a par is the Roberts’ interception return vs. Rhode Island.

toM StUber

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:22 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:33 pm
Whether you’re impressed with Collins or not, he was a big factor in perhaps the greatest and what will be the most memorable play in MSU and Cat-Griz history. The only play I can think of in school history that is on a par is the Roberts’ interception return vs. Rhode Island.
And I'd argue he made the second-biggest play of that game too. The fumble he caused after running all the way across the field was spectacular. An unbelievable effort that I hope doesn't get lost to history. Taken out of context it was probably a more impressive play than the Stuff, but the Stuff will get mentioned more because of the time and place.