Will this loosen up the donors

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Will this loosen up the donors

Post by GoCats18 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:54 pm

I keep waiting for someone to say that they drove by the stadium and they have started to bring in construction equipment and have started to tear out the north end zone.

Punters are people too!!

stevo
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by stevo » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:05 pm

Just dropped a couple hundo in the pot. very easy to do. Its tax season boys, lets get the deduction now!

stevo

Post by stevo » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:07 pm

Just dropped a couple hundo in the pot. very easy to do. Its tax season boys, lets get the deduction now!
Beer money gone now till 2019

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:47 pm

Hate to mention the global economy here, but the issues facing fund raising these days are going to be far more affected by the stock market and a trade war with China and other unilateral trade blowups, than it does with being 8-5 this year! :coffee:
Last edited by catsrback76 on Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:29 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:47 pm
Hate to mention the global economy here, but the issues facing fund raising these days are going to be far more affected by the stock market and a trade war with China and other unilateral trade blowups, that it does with being 8-5 this year! :coffee:
I KNEW we could blame this on Trump somehow! :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

85CatGrad

Post by 85CatGrad » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:34 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:29 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Hate to mention the global economy here, but the issues facing fund raising these days are going to be far more affected by the stock market and a trade war with China and other unilateral trade blowups, that it does with being 8-5 this year! :coffee:
My donation was in part made possible by lower taxes & less regulations. I call it the Trump Bump!

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:27 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Hate to mention the global economy here, but the issues facing fund raising these days are going to be far more affected by the stock market and a trade war with China and other unilateral trade blowups, than it does with being 8-5 this year! :coffee:
:lol: Thanks! I really needed a good laugh today, unless of course you are serious, in which case I will call :bs:

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:28 pm

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Cat4LifeHouseDivided

Post by Cat4LifeHouseDivided » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:03 pm

85CatGrad wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:34 pm
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
My donation was in part made possible by lower taxes & less regulations. I call it the Trump Bump!
That may be true but nobody has filed a return under the new regs yet so nobody knows if the bill will help or hurt. Remember they limited things on the Schedule A for itemized deductions, increase the standard deduction, and got rid of exemptions. What does that mean? Harder to itemize and use those deductions. Also do to the loss in exemptions, you are likely to owe in more than in previous years. You may pay less tax but end up with a big year end whack.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:10 pm

Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:03 pm
85CatGrad wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
That may be true but nobody has filed a return under the new regs yet so nobody knows if the bill will help or hurt. Remember they limited things on the Schedule A for itemized deductions, increase the standard deduction, and got rid of exemptions. What does that mean? Harder to itemize and use those deductions. Also do to the loss in exemptions, you are likely to owe in more than in previous years. You may pay less tax but end up with a big year end whack.
Based off the year end planning our firm has been doing people aren’t paying more tax, they are actually paying less. The child credit is up to $2,000 per kid now and the threshold went way up, so did the AMT threshold, not to mention the 199A 20% deduction on QBI. I have done many plans already and they haven’t paid more this year based off the year end planning.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Cat4LifeHouseDivided

Post by Cat4LifeHouseDivided » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:18 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:10 pm
85CatGrad wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
Based off the year end planning our firm has been doing people aren’t paying more tax, they are actually paying less. The child credit is up to $2,000 per kid now and the threshold went way up, so did the AMT threshold, not to mention the 199A 20% deduction on QBI. I have done many plans already and they haven’t paid more this year based off the year end planning.
I said you may pay less overall but based on new withholdings and lack of planning, people could pay more at year end. Our firm has examples showing a family of 4 with an income of 100k will pay more. It depends on individuals of course. Losing exemptions and increase to standard deduction will hurt some folks. I go from a combo of itemized deductions and exemptions of 30k to a standard deduction of 24k so there is an effect.

85CatGrad

Post by 85CatGrad » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:32 pm

85CatGrad wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
Your right nobody has filed a return under the new reg, but your wrong when you say nobody knows. My accountants know and have confirmed that I will pay less under the new Trump tax law. In fact most will pay less and yes, a few will pay more. If your interested in figuring out where you stand go to... https://www.calcxml.com/calculators/tru ... calculator

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:57 pm

85CatGrad wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:32 pm
85CatGrad wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
Your right nobody has filed a return under the new reg, but your wrong when you say nobody knows. My accountants know and have confirmed that I will pay less under the new Trump tax law. In fact most will pay less and yes, a few will pay more. If your interested in figuring out where you stand go to... https://www.calcxml.com/calculators/tru ... calculator
Depends a lot on how much you earn.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:14 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:57 pm
85CatGrad wrote:
85CatGrad wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
Indeed it does, i went and saw a cpa after the passage of the tax bill. There's a lot less taxes coming out of my check but according to tge CPA I'll be on the hook to actually pay more than last year since i get 0 itemizations. Dont be fooled, most us of will pay more even though they take less out of your paycheck. Dont get caught with your pants down.

Cat4LifeHouseDivided

Post by Cat4LifeHouseDivided » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:04 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:14 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:57 pm
85CatGrad wrote:
85CatGrad wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
Indeed it does, i went and saw a cpa after the passage of the tax bill. There's a lot less taxes coming out of my check but according to tge CPA I'll be on the hook to actually pay more than last year since i get 0 itemizations. Dont be fooled, most us of will pay more even though they take less out of your paycheck. Dont get caught with your pants down.
This is what I have been trying to say. Also, as a CPA (caveat..i am an auditor), I can guarantee no accountant can confirm you will pay less simply based on planning. They can estimate you will pay less. There are unknowns before yearend. We can prepare an estimate based on known facts but by no means is it set in stone. W-2 amount can vary based on bonuses, your deduction come up short, k1s are different from previous years. Guess we will all see in a few months. Back to one of the earlier posts, as I deal with many nonprofit clients, donations are drying up because of the inability to itemize due to higher standard deductions.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:09 am

Being a tax Manager and on a board of directors for a not for profit, the donations haven’t dried up because the clients donating to not for profits either donate because they believe in the cause no matter about the deduction or donate enough to still get the deduction. If you are a good tax accountant and thourough in your planning, yes you can get pretty close to the number by year end and you definitely can see if the total tax liability at the end of the year will be less or more compared to last year. Again the $2,000 child credit, the higher AMT threshold, and the 199A deduction is going to be huge. My prediction is high earners may pay higher tax, I say may in a tongue in cheek kind of way because the 199A deduction will be the kicker on that one. However, low income people with kids will be way better off and I can say that with pretty good confidence right now.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:54 am

I'm more worried about construction costs than taxes. Will the 16 million planned 2? years ago cover everything a year from now?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

BobCatFan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobCatFan » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:37 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:21 pm
We have to get away from todays instant gratification mentality. It will take time to reach our goal. My recollection is that we still haven’t paid off the new end zone structure. When that happens, we will have additional bonding ability for financing. That all takes time. In the meantime, MSU slowly chips away at the amont needed to finance.

Some of you are disappointed with the fundraising effort, but I get an email at least every two weeks about happenings at MSU. They definitely encourage contributions, but quite honestly, any more solicitation (such as phone calls) could be perceived negatively. How many of you honestly want another phone solicitation?

Also, a number of MSU related organizations are soliciting money from the same people. The Alumni foundation, the school of business, the Quarterback Club, Bobcat Club, etc. It has to be a careful balance where you don’t solicit so much for the new construction that donations to the Bobcat Club go down. This is especially relevant to the smaller donors who might have less disposable income.

I am confident in our leadership at the athletic department. Very well thought out with a long term plan.

Somebody pointed out to me the other day that U of M’s enrollment is actually closer to Tech’s enrollment than MSU’s enrollment. Not sure if that is completely accurate, but how crazy is that perception! We are headed in the right direction. Let’s stay the road and more great things are in store. Just look at the Improvements on the MSU campus and compare to Missoula. It is truly a major success story!
It would be easy for msu to create a website that a fan could go to and a make donatio by credit card. Even setup auto pay for a small payment each month. Pretty simple to that these days.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:55 pm

BobCatFan wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:37 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:21 pm
We have to get away from todays instant gratification mentality. It will take time to reach our goal. My recollection is that we still haven’t paid off the new end zone structure. When that happens, we will have additional bonding ability for financing. That all takes time. In the meantime, MSU slowly chips away at the amont needed to finance.

Some of you are disappointed with the fundraising effort, but I get an email at least every two weeks about happenings at MSU. They definitely encourage contributions, but quite honestly, any more solicitation (such as phone calls) could be perceived negatively. How many of you honestly want another phone solicitation?

Also, a number of MSU related organizations are soliciting money from the same people. The Alumni foundation, the school of business, the Quarterback Club, Bobcat Club, etc. It has to be a careful balance where you don’t solicit so much for the new construction that donations to the Bobcat Club go down. This is especially relevant to the smaller donors who might have less disposable income.

I am confident in our leadership at the athletic department. Very well thought out with a long term plan.

Somebody pointed out to me the other day that U of M’s enrollment is actually closer to Tech’s enrollment than MSU’s enrollment. Not sure if that is completely accurate, but how crazy is that perception! We are headed in the right direction. Let’s stay the road and more great things are in store. Just look at the Improvements on the MSU campus and compare to Missoula. It is truly a major success story!
It would be easy for msu to create a website that a fan could go to and a make donatio by credit card. Even setup auto pay for a small payment each month. Pretty simple to that these days.
There is a website! Click on the link in my signature block.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:51 am

Construction is set to being March 1. This is not a fact, just a guess I am going with.

Punters are people too!!