Phase 1

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Phase 1

Post by catscat » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:50 pm

Darth Yoda wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:21 pm
I don't understand and remain frustrated on this stuff. I was one of only 700 or so individuals to donate to the EZ. That is mindboggling. The same night that number was announced, I was at a county fundraiser for a humane society that had 800 people. We routinely get 18,000 for a game but only 700 ponied up? All the successful grads? Geeeezzzzzzuuuuus that was embarrassing.

I heard the dUMb got over 3000 individuals in the first month of their champions (haha) center campaign. What the hell is the matter with MSU? I hope the new AD has the answer to the riddle.
I too was one of the 700 or so donating to the EZ. Not sure the new AD has the answer to the riddle. I wrote him a letter last year about a concern and never heard from him. I'm not a 6 or 7 figure donor, but he doesn't know that. Sooner or later he's going to ask all of us to donate. I'll have to think long and hard if I want to support an athletic department that does not value me enough to answer a letter. I'll continue to donate to MSU, but athletics - maybe not.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:05 pm

I know MSU isn’t Boise, but BSU and Learfield were paid $12.5 million by Albertsons for the naming rights to their stadium.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:19 pm

catscat wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:50 pm
Darth Yoda wrote:
I don't understand and remain frustrated on this stuff. I was one of only 700 or so individuals to donate to the EZ. That is mindboggling. The same night that number was announced, I was at a county fundraiser for a humane society that had 800 people. We routinely get 18,000 for a game but only 700 ponied up? All the successful grads? Geeeezzzzzzuuuuus that was embarrassing.

I heard the dUMb got over 3000 individuals in the first month of their champions (haha) center campaign. What the hell is the matter with MSU? I hope the new AD has the answer to the riddle.
I too was one of the 700 or so donating to the EZ. Not sure the new AD has the answer to the riddle. I wrote him a letter last year about a concern and never heard from him. I'm not a 6 or 7 figure donor, but he doesn't know that. Sooner or later he's going to ask all of us to donate. I'll have to think long and hard if I want to support an athletic department that does not value me enough to answer a letter. I'll continue to donate to MSU, but athletics - maybe not.
The only time I've really felt "valued" as a booster was after the EZ Project, being invited to the early opening. I too was one of those 700, and while I'm far, far from a big donor, I drop a couple grand a year on tickets, booster fees, etc. My biggest gripe? I sit on the east side, the "ghetto" and feel most times like that's how we're treated. Between the rust holes in the stands, falling every damn winter and busting your ass on the icy metal bleachers, every stadium promotion aimed at the club ticket holders on the west, etc, etc I don't exactly feel all that needed by my University. I donate because I think it's important and I get satisfaction and entertainment out of it, not because I think MSU really values my money. THAT'S probably the rub with the fund-raising logic. I understand the strategy of why it's done the way it's done, but it leaves the rest of us really feeling like MSU couldn't care less about whether they get my paultry $1,000 or $2,000 gift to a stadium project.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:07 am

Darth Yoda wrote:

Yes it was. I was blown away by that 700 number as well. Especially since those donations were earmarked solely for the endzone project itself. I was one of the 700 that donated. I think that web page where it had the goal tracker (football field with yards to go) really helped push that over the top. It helped keep people interested in it and pushing towards the goal.

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:36 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:48 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:50 pm
topshelfthepuck wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:21 pm
Denny Washington was raised most his life in Missoula, MT and his net worth is 6 billion. Not sure those guys are just easy to come by out the back door of bobcat stadium
MSU graduate and she lives in Bozeman. Her brother is worth just as much and he lives in Livingston.

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/riche ... net-worth/

Soooo that article says she is worth 3 billion... see if my math is correct here:

If she were to donate 15 million to the stadium fund... that would be the equivalent of someone worth 1 million dollars, donating 5 thousand..........

C’mon now......... that should be easy.
If she donates to the football stadium we would proabably have some sweet flower beds around it for landscaping.......

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:08 am

Costello will be available at a booth for the next home game. Hugs are $500. Words of appreciation are $100.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

DCC2MSU
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by DCC2MSU » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:22 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:09 pm
it is still strange to me that the program can't find a "denny Washington" in the Bozeman area to make a large donation toward athletics.... whether that be a person or a business.... Comparing the demographics of Bozeman to Missoula, its not even close. There is sooooo much money in the Bozeman area. Ted frickin Turner has a ranch their for Christ sake (not that he is a bobcat fan, but just an example).
Does anyone know the total $ donated both athletically and academically to MSU and UM? I don't follow UM donations, but don't recall seeing a news story about any donation in the ballpark of either the new engineering or business buildings. I would think MSU has a higher total $ influx, just that it doesn't all go to football. Maybe also a big reason the enrollments of the two schools are on much different trends??? It's pretty amazing to me when I come back to to town and walk thru campus the improvements that are continually happening.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:57 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:19 pm
catscat wrote:
Darth Yoda wrote:

The only time I've really felt "valued" as a booster was after the EZ Project, being invited to the early opening. I too was one of those 700, and while I'm far, far from a big donor, I drop a couple grand a year on tickets, booster fees, etc. My biggest gripe? I sit on the east side, the "ghetto" and feel most times like that's how we're treated. Between the rust holes in the stands, falling every damn winter and busting your ass on the icy metal bleachers, every stadium promotion aimed at the club ticket holders on the west, etc, etc I don't exactly feel all that needed by my University. I donate because I think it's important and I get satisfaction and entertainment out of it, not because I think MSU really values my money. THAT'S probably the rub with the fund-raising logic. I understand the strategy of why it's done the way it's done, but it leaves the rest of us really feeling like MSU couldn't care less about whether they get my paultry $1,000 or $2,000 gift to a stadium project.
this is a bummer story and I know the powers that be don't want any fan to feel like this. i'm not sure what the answers are but I know they're not trying to alienate anyone.

we all want the same thing. we want a winning program with great student athletes playing in amazing facilities. and while we're not all capable of writing 6-figure checks, we can all play a part in reaching that goal. but I see how hard these guys all work behind the scenes to get us there and I think they'd be really bummed to know some people feel this way.

my guess is they already have people working to make sure that big donors and small donors all know they're appreciated.

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:03 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:57 pm
KittieKop wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:19 pm
catscat wrote:
Darth Yoda wrote:

this is a bummer story and I know the powers that be don't want any fan to feel like this. i'm not sure what the answers are but I know they're not trying to alienate anyone.

we all want the same thing. we want a winning program with great student athletes playing in amazing facilities. and while we're not all capable of writing 6-figure checks, we can all play a part in reaching that goal. but I see how hard these guys all work behind the scenes to get us there and I think they'd be really bummed to know some people feel this way.

my guess is they already have people working to make sure that big donors and small donors all know they're appreciated.
Let's hope the do have people working to make sure donors know they are appreciated. Based on KK's and my own experience, if they are, it appears they aren't very successful so far.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:05 pm

I made a 4 figure donation to the facilities plan last year and I received a letter from Cruzado and Costello thanking me. The Alumni foundation even called me up and I had coffee with one of their representatives and learned a bit about the new plan. I make monthly donations to the facilities plan too and I receive a thank you letter every time. I even asked them to stop the thank you letters and just send me a yearly update (for tax purposes) of my donations instead. I feel appreciated, but I do get why others might not. I believe MSU could do a better job of reaching out.

Oh, I also get a couple of phone calls a year from student athletes thanking me for donating to the athletics program.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:45 am

I think that MSU have missed the boat on a huge opportunity. I have said it before, and will say it again; there has been NO effort to keep former athletes in touch with the University. I receive my degree from MSU while being an all-conference, 3 year starter, and 4 year letter winner on the football team. After I exhausted my eligibility, I never heard from the athletic department again. I wouldn't say my feelings are hurt, but over the years I feel less connected to MSU and have put my philanthropic donations into other areas that I feel more connected to. I have voiced my thoughts to the athletic department over the years with no response, and frankly don’t try anymore. I know many other former athletes feel the same way. I don’t see this ever changing, but maybe I will be surprised and there will be an effort to reconnect former athletes to the athletic department and build another opportunity of community and fundraising.

Clinton T
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Clinton T » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:31 pm

catscat wrote:
Darth Yoda wrote:

Not to pile on, but I had a similar experience. On two separate occasions PF got back to me the same day I called with a question/concern. He didn't know me from Adam, but still took five minutes out of his day to speak with me. I appreciated that and the gesture went a long way toward me becoming a booster and donor. Now, I understand that LC's time is better spent courting big time donors, and I hope he is spending most of his time doing that, but it doesn't take much to shoot an email (or have your secretary send an email in your name). He is not the athletic director of a P5 school and certainly has the time to speak with consumers, even if it is for two minutes. Heck, I have read stories about CEOs of multibillion dollar companies who budget an hour a day to speak directly with consumers.

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:06 am

Clinton T wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:31 pm
catscat wrote:
Darth Yoda wrote:

Not to pile on, but I had a similar experience. On two separate occasions PF got back to me the same day I called with a question/concern. He didn't know me from Adam, but still took five minutes out of his day to speak with me. I appreciated that and the gesture went a long way toward me becoming a booster and donor. Now, I understand that LC's time is better spent courting big time donors, and I hope he is spending most of his time doing that, but it doesn't take much to shoot an email (or have your secretary send an email in your name). He is not the athletic director of a P5 school and certainly has the time to speak with consumers, even if it is for two minutes. Heck, I have read stories about CEOs of multibillion dollar companies who budget an hour a day to speak directly with consumers.
Unfortunate experiences........I saw LC in Portland at the Alumni event...spoke with him for a few minutes, even though his ride was waiting outside...seemed very gracious. My overall intereaction with MSU the last few years has been excellent...very responsive....I hope your experience is some sort of misunderstanding.....we need everyone solidly behind the Cats!!

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:59 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:28 pm
technoCat wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:53 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
it is still strange to me that the program can't find a "denny Washington" in the Bozeman area to make a large donation toward athletics.... whether that be a person or a business.... Comparing the demographics of Bozeman to Missoula, its not even close. There is sooooo much money in the Bozeman area. Ted frickin Turner has a ranch their for Christ sake (not that he is a bobcat fan, but just an example).
We do have people like that but they donate to the academic buildings... stupid academics... :lol:
Exactly. Our people give to the academic side. Can’t lie, if I had enough money, I’d rather give it to academics than to the football team.
I would go purely Athletics because it will serve both needs. I interviewed leaders at 3 schools (U of Wisconsin), (U of Minnesota) and (U of Montana). All three emphasized that when the football team wins (or becomes a winner after years of losing) academic contributions go up many fold. U of Montana told me that when they won the national title academic contributions went up $10 Million.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:00 pm

gtapp wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:59 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:28 pm
technoCat wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:53 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
We do have people like that but they donate to the academic buildings... stupid academics... :lol:
Exactly. Our people give to the academic side. Can’t lie, if I had enough money, I’d rather give it to academics than to the football team.
I would go purely Athletics because it will serve both needs. I interviewed leaders at 3 schools (U of Wisconsin), (U of Minnesota) and (U of Montana). All three emphasized that when the football team wins (or becomes a winner after years of losing) academic contributions go up many fold. U of Montana told me that when they won the national title academic contributions went up $10 Million.
But we just got a $50 million gift and a $25 million gift (I think those numbers are right) that were strictly for academics despite losing seasons in football. Pretty sure both donors had absolutely no cares for the athletics department. Yes athletics success helps all areas, but it goes the other way too. Putting $75 million into athletics probably wouldn’t have found us a cool $150 million for academics.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:00 pm

Sigh.......................

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:24 pm

They should have broken ground on getting rid of that stupid track.

GO CATS GO!!!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:40 pm

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:46 pm

Phase 1: collect underpants

Phase 2: ?

Phase 3: profit

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:51 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:40 pm
Not as nice as the one the Cats have planned for 19 years from now. :lol: