Big opportunity for Bauman

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Re: Big opportunity for Bauman

Post by RobertCats » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:21 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:54 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:33 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:23 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:18 pm
I have seen Choate mention multiple times that Bauman has a big arm but is still adjusting from playing at a smaller school. I did not get any sense that he is a viable option unless Troy gets hurt. Even if you can throw the ball 70 yards, if you can’t adjust to the speed and athleticism of college football players, it could be a disaster. From other Choate comments, I get the impression that as of today, Beltran is better prepared for necessary game reps.
Bauman is the #2. Beltran is the #3. Be prepared to see Casey Bauman play in 4 of the next 5 games.
And Rovig was number #2 last week despite having a broken foot. Regardless, is placing Bauman at QB a good decision against arguably the number one defense in the Big Sky? I want to see the kid play, but we saw how that played out with Rovig against SDSU.
You said Beltran is "better prepared for necessary games reps". Also, fans think we would need to run an entirely different offense if Bauman plays QB. So since Beltran is more mobile, he is the logical choice to come in and replace Troy if need be. People need to get that out of their heads because each of our QBs can run the same offense...their just won't be so many designed QB runs when our QB/RB is not under center. Beltran has had an odd cult following by some fans since he was signed but he has never really been in the discussion as a QB good enough to play this year. He has consistently been behind Bauman despite their different skill sets. Bauman has been taking steady reps with the #2's and is 100% the more "prepared" freshman QB we have backing up Troy at this point. You also stated "even if you can throw the ball 70 yards, if you can’t adjust to the speed and athleticism of college football players, it could be a disaster." You really don't think throwing in Beltran would be better? Plus, Bauman has the best arm talent on MSU's football team. Arm talent meaning he can throw deep, intermediate, and short range with accuracy and velocity. I think some fans think he is just a kid who threw bombs in high school and that's it. His game film showed how well he can place the ball all over the field at different depths while from the pocket, on play-action rollouts, and under pressure. Choate has also stated this when all our QBs were healthy as Casey has showed the arm talent in practice. The only thing that has held him back are the common things for any true freshman QB: he is a true freshman coming from a small school (Class A size in Montana for comparison....so the same as Troy), he has been learning the offense, and adjusting to being a college QB in terms of preparation.

So I will say it once again (based off what I have been told), Bauman is the #2. Beltran is the #3. Be prepared to see Casey play in 4 of the next 5 games in a role similar to Tucker.
Spot on, for what it's worth I heard that Bauman was adjusting to the speed of the game just fine and that his talents (along with TR's injury) are forcing the coaches' hands. The hesitation was more the fact that Bauman had a pretty vanilla playbook with not a whole lot of presnap responsibilities and faced rather vanilla defenses where he did not have to work very hard to recognize coverages. That is where the learning curve has been but he is coming along and has made major strides since camp. I am not going to pretend to be a QB guru by any means but in my humble opinion, his high school tape showed one of the most polished, talented, all-around QB signings we have ever got.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:26 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
I have seen Choate mention multiple times that Bauman has a big arm but is still adjusting from playing at a smaller school. I did not get any sense that he is a viable option unless Troy gets hurt. Even if you can throw the ball 70 yards, if you can’t adjust to the speed and athleticism of college football players, it could be a disaster. From other Choate comments, I get the impression that as of today, Beltran is better prepared for necessary game reps.
Bauman is the #2. Beltran is the #3. Be prepared to see Casey Bauman play in 4 of the next 5 games.
and our luck would be that he'd play very good, be a huge contributor to winning games....and NOT be able to play in the playoffs. that would be typical bobcat luck.... 8)

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:48 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
And Rovig was number #2 last week despite having a broken foot. Regardless, is placing Bauman at QB a good decision against arguably the number one defense in the Big Sky? I want to see the kid play, but we saw how that played out with Rovig against SDSU.
You said Beltran is "better prepared for necessary games reps". Also, fans think we would need to run an entirely different offense if Bauman plays QB. So since Beltran is more mobile, he is the logical choice to come in and replace Troy if need be. People need to get that out of their heads because each of our QBs can run the same offense...their just won't be so many designed QB runs when our QB/RB is not under center. Beltran has had an odd cult following by some fans since he was signed but he has never really been in the discussion as a QB good enough to play this year. He has consistently been behind Bauman despite their different skill sets. Bauman has been taking steady reps with the #2's and is 100% the more "prepared" freshman QB we have backing up Troy at this point. You also stated "even if you can throw the ball 70 yards, if you can’t adjust to the speed and athleticism of college football players, it could be a disaster." You really don't think throwing in Beltran would be better? Plus, Bauman has the best arm talent on MSU's football team. Arm talent meaning he can throw deep, intermediate, and short range with accuracy and velocity. I think some fans think he is just a kid who threw bombs in high school and that's it. His game film showed how well he can place the ball all over the field at different depths while from the pocket, on play-action rollouts, and under pressure. Choate has also stated this when all our QBs were healthy as Casey has showed the arm talent in practice. The only thing that has held him back are the common things for any true freshman QB: he is a true freshman coming from a small school (Class A size in Montana for comparison....so the same as Troy), he has been learning the offense, and adjusting to being a college QB in terms of preparation.

So I will say it once again (based off what I have been told), Bauman is the #2. Beltran is the #3. Be prepared to see Casey play in 4 of the next 5 games in a role similar to Tucker.
I am not trying to be argumentative, but I said From other Choate comments, I get the impression that as of today, Beltran is better prepared for necessary game reps. It is only my opinion.

Here is Choates’s quotes. Maybe I am reading too much into it.

On Beltran after some information about coming from a large school - “Ruben is very cerebral and is kind of a football junkie. Very accurate, savvy kid, can get himself out of trouble with his feet, not afraid to run some of the quarterback run game,”

On Bauman - “He played smaller-school ball, so the progression to playing Division I football has been a little different, but I’ve seen a noticeable change in terms of his preparation.”

I am also very high on Bauman, but I am concerned about the jump from small school to FCS for a passing QB. You of all people understand the difference between a 5.1 second cornerback and CB with 4.6 speed. I hope you are right that he is ready, but Beltran has played against a higher level of competition. And you are going against one of the best defenses in the Big Sky.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:50 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:48 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

I am not trying to be argumentative, but I said From other Choate comments, I get the impression that as of today, Beltran is better prepared for necessary game reps. It is only my opinion.

Here is Choates’s quotes. Maybe I am reading too much into it.

On Beltran after some information about coming from a large school - “Ruben is very cerebral and is kind of a football junkie. Very accurate, savvy kid, can get himself out of trouble with his feet, not afraid to run some of the quarterback run game,”

On Bauman - “He played smaller-school ball, so the progression to playing Division I football has been a little different, but I’ve seen a noticeable change in terms of his preparation.”

I am also very high on Bauman, but I am concerned about the jump from small school to FCS for a passing QB. You of all people understand the difference between a 5.1 second cornerback and CB with 4.6 speed. I hope you are right that he is ready, but Beltran has played against a higher level of competition. And you are going against one of the best defenses in the Big Sky.
Bauman has played better than Beltran in practice against our FCS defense so the "high school competition" angle is eliminated at this point.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:57 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:26 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
and our luck would be that he'd play very good, be a huge contributor to winning games....and NOT be able to play in the playoffs. that would be typical bobcat luck.... 8)
If that is our Luck " and we are due some". Casey plays very good, and contributes to winning games ,especially the
next two , I would predict he doesn't Redshirt this year .

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:59 pm

Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:57 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
If that is our Luck " and we are due some". Casey plays very good, and contributes to winning games ,especially the
ya that's a good point.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:25 pm

Did you know:
Bauman ran for 619 yards and 15 touchdowns his senior year.
He played some outside linebacker.
Was also his team’s long snapper.

joe_montana_state
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by joe_montana_state » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:01 pm

Great. When choate finds out we will have him playing both ways AND long snapping! I kid!

iaafan wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:25 pm
Did you know:
Bauman ran for 619 yards and 15 touchdowns his senior year.
Was also his team’s long snapper.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:04 pm

So if he plays this weekend, our two freshman QBs (Rovig, Bauman) will have had their first snaps against SDSU, and Weber, respectively. Talk about trial by fire.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:16 pm

iaafan wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:25 pm
Isn't LB a position of need? Maybe we can play him there. :wink:

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:53 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Any chance we end up seeing Beltran at Running Back?

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:54 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:41 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:22 pm
RobertCats wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:59 am
mslacatfan wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:37 am
4 games available, to still maintain redshirt... I'm assuming that also includes playoff games, correct?... I am still hoping for a deep playoff run. \:D/

Luckily we have about 19 QB's on the roster (highschool qb's, mostly playing other positions)… ha. cuz so far this year we seem to lose a QB to injury about once every 2 weeks. ](*,)
The way I understood the new redshirt rule is that they can play in up to 4 regular season games and still redshirt. One snap in any game other than regular season and they are no longer eligible to redshirt.
There was some confusion around that initially. These kids can play in any 4 games (including post season). The only ones who cannot participate in post season and still redshirt are mid year transfers
Gotchya, thanks for the clarification!
Question here; what is a mid year transfer?

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:58 pm

RickRund wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:54 pm
RobertCats wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:41 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:22 pm
RobertCats wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:59 am
mslacatfan wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:37 am
4 games available, to still maintain redshirt... I'm assuming that also includes playoff games, correct?... I am still hoping for a deep playoff run. \:D/

Luckily we have about 19 QB's on the roster (highschool qb's, mostly playing other positions)… ha. cuz so far this year we seem to lose a QB to injury about once every 2 weeks. ](*,)
The way I understood the new redshirt rule is that they can play in up to 4 regular season games and still redshirt. One snap in any game other than regular season and they are no longer eligible to redshirt.
There was some confusion around that initially. These kids can play in any 4 games (including post season). The only ones who cannot participate in post season and still redshirt are mid year transfers
Gotchya, thanks for the clarification!
Question here; what is a mid year transfer?
Transfer in December and play in January games is the easiest way to think of it... Leave school at the end of Quarter/Semester and start new schools Quarter/Semester. Play in the Bowl or Playoff game and you use a year of eligibility.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:20 pm

Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:57 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Actually MSU’s luck would be that he’d do very well for years. At least that’s been the recent luck for starting frosh QBs. The last three freshmen to start have been to the playoffs twice, won the league twice and beat UM all three times. For their careers (10 seasons) they have won six league titles and are 7-3 vs the Grizzlies.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:45 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
UNCO and Cal Poly may give Beltran a chance to get some snaps for experience as well, limiting Bauman 3 games before the end of the season. 8)

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:01 pm

"He's unique, for sure" - Weber State prepares for Andersen with Bobcat QB ranks suddenly thin
https://skylinesportsmt.com/hes-unique- ... enly-thin/

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:41 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:01 pm
"He's unique, for sure" - Weber State prepares for Andersen with Bobcat QB ranks suddenly thin
https://skylinesportsmt.com/hes-unique- ... enly-thin/

Ya THINK??? :lol:

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:40 am

Does anybody know what the status is with Chris Murray? Is he he in school and/or playing?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:43 am

superbobcat wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:40 am
Does anybody know what the status is with Chris Murray? Is he he in school and/or playing?
Thought he was in the MSU student directory as the plan was for him to strictly focus on school. But just checked and he is not listed anymore. I think the ship has sailed.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:30 pm

Chris has been at a couple home football games (I've heard), so I assumed he was still in school this semester.