Big opportunity for Bauman

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Big opportunity for Bauman

Post by iaafan » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:12 am

Things went from red-shirt, scout team QB to taking a ton of first team reps in practice and being one injury away from starter for Bauman. Great chance to show the coaches how well he can run with the ones.

A lot of folks wondering why Jonsen isn’t #2. He may be, but I think the coaches are reluctant to spend time on him there now that the season is half over and they probably don’t want him at QB just for a year. ??? Guessing they have their eyes on Murray, Bauman, Beltran and Rovig in 2019.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Re: Big opportunity for Bauman

Post by JDoub » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:28 am

iaafan wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:12 am
Guessing they have their eyes on Murray, Bauman, Beltran and Rovig in 2019.
and maybe Gresh Jensen

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:37 am

Who's Murray?

Joke aside, Bauman can play in 4 of these next 5 games and still maintain his redshirt...so be prepared to see 7 out there.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:59 am

If he actually starts or plays....I'm ready for some down field passing. Ready to watch Anderson tear it up at RB or LB. Bauman is a bid dude with a big arm. Lets get our WR's in the game.

dUMb
New Recruit

Post by dUMb » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:42 am

Let him play, can’t wait for Saturday!

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:15 am

Did I miss something...did Choate announce that Bauman is definitely going to get some snaps against Weber? Or are people just noting that he is now #2 on the depth chart with Rovig being done for the season and could possibly see some action on Saturday?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:25 am

John K wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:15 am
Did I miss something...did Choate announce that Bauman is definitely going to get some snaps against Weber? Or are people just noting that he is now #2 on the depth chart with Rovig being done for the season and could possibly see some action on Saturday?
Choate always hints at certain things but nothing ever is official. I'm just stating that since we have the ability to use him four out of these next five games and still maintain his redshirt, don't be surprised to see him out there when Troy is struggling throwing the ball downfield and we need a passing element to attack a defense. The coaches believed they could beat Idaho without Casey's services and....well....we did....by a hair.

Anyway, Casey has looked good in practice and has gained a ton of confidence since taking his first reps of fall camp back in August. He is a super-confident, competitive kid and it will be interesting to see when/if MSU uses him.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:37 am

4 games available, to still maintain redshirt... I'm assuming that also includes playoff games, correct?... I am still hoping for a deep playoff run. \:D/

Luckily we have about 19 QB's on the roster (highschool qb's, mostly playing other positions)… ha. cuz so far this year we seem to lose a QB to injury about once every 2 weeks. ](*,)

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:39 am

“Obviously, if we had Tucker I’d feel much better about things, but those freshmen will be ready to go. We’re not going to ask them to do everything in the world.

“One of the things I ask them, ‘I want to see the plays that you like. Let’s go through them. What are the plays that you like?’ So we know if we do get into a situation where we’ve got to play them, we’re kind of putting them in a position where they’re comfortable with what we’re doing.”
http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky- ... fbf6c.html

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:40 am

John K wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:15 am
Anything is possible , we have a lot of underutilized talent on Offense , with our present scheme , I expect some
changes and different looks this week-end. I hope we can EXECUTE so we don't have to fall back to jumping on
Secretariat's back .

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:59 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:37 am
4 games available, to still maintain redshirt... I'm assuming that also includes playoff games, correct?... I am still hoping for a deep playoff run. \:D/

Luckily we have about 19 QB's on the roster (highschool qb's, mostly playing other positions)… ha. cuz so far this year we seem to lose a QB to injury about once every 2 weeks. ](*,)
The way I understood the new redshirt rule is that they can play in up to 4 regular season games and still redshirt. One snap in any game other than regular season and they are no longer eligible to redshirt.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:18 pm

I have seen Choate mention multiple times that Bauman has a big arm but is still adjusting from playing at a smaller school. I did not get any sense that he is a viable option unless Troy gets hurt. Even if you can throw the ball 70 yards, if you can’t adjust to the speed and athleticism of college football players, it could be a disaster. From other Choate comments, I get the impression that as of today, Beltran is better prepared for necessary game reps.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:22 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:59 am
mslacatfan wrote:

The way I understood the new redshirt rule is that they can play in up to 4 regular season games and still redshirt. One snap in any game other than regular season and they are no longer eligible to redshirt.
There was some confusion around that initially. These kids can play in any 4 games (including post season). The only ones who cannot participate in post season and still redshirt are mid year transfers

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:23 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:18 pm
I have seen Choate mention multiple times that Bauman has a big arm but is still adjusting from playing at a smaller school. I did not get any sense that he is a viable option unless Troy gets hurt. Even if you can throw the ball 70 yards, if you can’t adjust to the speed and athleticism of college football players, it could be a disaster. From other Choate comments, I get the impression that as of today, Beltran is better prepared for necessary game reps.
Bauman is the #2. Beltran is the #3. Be prepared to see Casey Bauman play in 4 of the next 5 games.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:27 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:22 pm
RobertCats wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

There was some confusion around that initially. These kids can play in any 4 games (including post season). The only ones who cannot participate in post season and still redshirt are mid year transfers
That's interesting. Can you imagine if we went all season without him taking a snap, make the playoffs, then he gets in and tears it up, plays all four playoff games and still gets to red shirt? lol (Ya, I get it, in that scenario he probably wouldn't red shirt in 2019 but it's nice to have it in the back pocket.)

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:29 pm

Bauman is listed #2 on the depth chart and Choate has said he’s coming along. It’s rare that a backup doesn’t have any game snaps under his belt, so I’d expect to see him play in the same capacity Rovig did. He doesn’t need to have the playbook memorized, just a few of his “favorite” plays. I imagine one of his favorites is the long bomb.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:33 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:23 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Bauman is the #2. Beltran is the #3. Be prepared to see Casey Bauman play in 4 of the next 5 games.
And Rovig was number #2 last week despite having a broken foot. Regardless, is placing Bauman at QB a good decision against arguably the number one defense in the Big Sky? I want to see the kid play, but we saw how that played out with Rovig against SDSU.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:39 pm

If you win the national championship at QB but end up redshirting for that season (say that was only your 2nd game played), that would be about the weirdest stat I ever heard.

That actually makes me think - this is essentially 4 extra games for players, and I imagine some record books will be broken simply because they are allowed to play more snaps now.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:41 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:22 pm
RobertCats wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

Gotchya, thanks for the clarification!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:54 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:33 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:23 pm
Cataholic wrote:
And Rovig was number #2 last week despite having a broken foot. Regardless, is placing Bauman at QB a good decision against arguably the number one defense in the Big Sky? I want to see the kid play, but we saw how that played out with Rovig against SDSU.
You said Beltran is "better prepared for necessary games reps". Also, fans think we would need to run an entirely different offense if Bauman plays QB. So since Beltran is more mobile, he is the logical choice to come in and replace Troy if need be. People need to get that out of their heads because each of our QBs can run the same offense...their just won't be so many designed QB runs when our QB/RB is not under center. Beltran has had an odd cult following by some fans since he was signed but he has never really been in the discussion as a QB good enough to play this year. He has consistently been behind Bauman despite their different skill sets. Bauman has been taking steady reps with the #2's and is 100% the more "prepared" freshman QB we have backing up Troy at this point. You also stated "even if you can throw the ball 70 yards, if you can’t adjust to the speed and athleticism of college football players, it could be a disaster." You really don't think throwing in Beltran would be better? Plus, Bauman has the best arm talent on MSU's football team. Arm talent meaning he can throw deep, intermediate, and short range with accuracy and velocity. I think some fans think he is just a kid who threw bombs in high school and that's it. His game film showed how well he can place the ball all over the field at different depths while from the pocket, on play-action rollouts, and under pressure. Choate has also stated this when all our QBs were healthy as Casey has showed the arm talent in practice. The only thing that has held him back are the common things for any true freshman QB: he is a true freshman coming from a small school (Class A size in Montana for comparison....so the same as Troy), he has been learning the offense, and adjusting to being a college QB in terms of preparation.

So I will say it once again (based off what I have been told), Bauman is the #2. Beltran is the #3. Be prepared to see Casey play in 4 of the next 5 games in a role similar to Tucker.