Geezer, I mean Weber, State

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Geezer, I mean Weber, State

Post by iaafan » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:43 pm

They have three 25-year-olds, two are 24, five are 23. One of the 24 is a freshman. Four of the 23 are sophomores. Must be nice to be a college coach in Utah, but weird to be a real freshman or a GA. Their photos are funny with all the receding hairlines.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: Geezer, I mean Weber, State

Post by AFCAT » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:27 pm

iaafan wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:43 pm
They have three 25-year-olds, two are 24, five are 23. One of the 24 is a freshman. Four of the 23 are sophomores. Must be nice to be a college coach in Utah, but weird to be a real freshman or a GA. Their photos are funny with all the receding hairlines.
Was it Southern Utah or Weber that had a 30 year old d-lineman a few years ago?

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:59 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:27 pm
iaafan wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:43 pm
Was it Southern Utah or Weber that had a 30 year old d-lineman a few years ago?

Fesi Vaa’ivaka, class of 2004. He played until he was 31 before foregoing his final year of eligibility which would’ve been this fall. To put that in perspective, I graduated high school in 2005 and have been covering Montana State football since 2010. It’s an amazing story but also an advantage the Utah schools use prevalently.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thespe ... p/96188316

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:28 pm

It’s a huge advantage these teams have. We’ll have one similar in Byron Rollins.

But still...they have grown men playing. That’s huge from a physical and mental standpoint.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:24 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:28 pm
It’s a huge advantage these teams have. We’ll have one similar in Byron Rollins.

But still...they have grown men playing. That’s huge from a physical and mental standpoint.
we had the Folsom kids.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:49 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:28 pm

Sometimes. For others, their priorities are different when you add marriage, kids, and even just a little more realistic outlook towards the future as they grow into their 20's. Football isn't always their #1 priority any more, so it can go both ways. I still think it's overall an advantage for them, just pointing out that it doesn't always work out that way and they end up spending a lot of money and scholarships on guys that decide to hang it up after they return from their missions.

GO CATS GO!!!

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:36 pm

The thing with these 25 year old Mormons is that the floor may be high, but the ceiling is lowered a bit. You're not going to get a Travis Lulay or a Zach Minter playing at 25, because the pro-caliber prospects go straight to school and play as freshman. Brett Keisel didn't take two years off. Haloti Ngata didn't take two years off. Eric Weddle didn't take two years off.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers