Washington Stadium

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

football fan 0120
BobcatNation Redshirt

Washington Stadium

Post by football fan 0120 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:09 pm

As a Griz Fan and football fan (Yea get that out there) I attended last Saturday's Cat game. While spending time at a fairly large pregame tailgate get together, the topic of the Cat/Griz game came up. I was surprised to hear that a few very loyal Cat fans say they wouldn't attend the game cause it is in Washington Stadium. The other half said , to hell with it, it is probably one of the best places to see an FCS game. The Cat fans who said they wouldn't go, also attend EW, ND, Weber, etc. What would be the reason for them to not attend the biggest rivalry game on the schedule, unless it is in Bozeman? I don't know of any of my Griz friends who shy away from the game when it is in Bozeman (beer and Football is just as good in Bozeman as it is Missoula and vice versa). :)

kmax
Site Admin

Re: Washington Stadium

Post by kmax » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:47 pm

I'll give you my honest answer (opinion) coming from one of those people that does enjoy going to Missoula to watch a game...

The reason that many won't go to the biggest game on the schedule in the opposing stadium (and here I will disagree with you, as I do know Griz fans who say the same thing about coming to Bozeman) is the fans, plain and simple. While the majority of fans, both Cat and Griz, are fun loving and good natured about the rivalry despite an often deep seated hatred, there are the minority on both sides that just can't figure it out. They take pride in making fans of the other team feel completely uncomfortable and many have ruined it for some fans that aren't able to just let that stuff roll off their backs and ignore the idiots in the minority. And for many that won't go to the opposing stadium, this is even just a perceived notion as they have never set foot in the opposing stadium/tailgate etc. But they get it from opposing fans elsewhere, hear horror stories of bad treatment third and fourth hand that have been exaggerated, or hell just happen upon this site or egriz and see the anonymous internet tough guys and decide that it would be the worst experience ever being an opposing fan in the rivals stadium.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:48 pm

going to Cat-Griz in Missoula is a blast...………. BUT... count me in as a die hard Cat fan that will probably never go to another cat-griz game in Missoula. Its just not worth dealing with all the BS, people trying to fight ya cuz yer wearing Cat gear, etc..... This goes both ways, I know plenty of griz fans that say the same thing about going to Cat-Griz in Bozeman.

If you are in the mood to get in a fight, then yeah... game on! ha.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:53 pm

It's all about the company you are with at these games. All I will say is that you have to be mentally ready to be called names that would make your grandmother very unhappy.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:03 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:53 pm
It's all about the company you are with at these games. All I will say is that you have to be mentally ready to be called names that would make your grandmother very unhappy.
Maybe your grandma...

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:14 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:03 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:53 pm
Maybe your grandma...
My grandmother would likely hunt down the verbal abuser for the rest of her days.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:20 pm

Plenty of griz fans that have claimed they’ll never go to a game in Bozeman. It’s been this way for ever.

That said, I bought my 4 tix to the game this morning and can’t wait. I’ll show up Friday night and find a good spot for dinner and drinks. I’ll hit up the press box first thing in the morning for food and cocktails. I’ll wander down to the stadium and watch what is almost always a great game. And win or lose I’ll be out and about Saturday night for food and lots of cocktails!

95% of the people will be great. And I’ll ignore the 5% of the idiots just like I do with the same idiots in Bozeman when my almost 40 year old self finds himself downtown here after games!

I’ll be there with my wife and another couple so it won’t be difficult to avoid the idiots and have a great weekend.

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:56 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:48 pm
going to Cat-Griz in Missoula is a blast...………. BUT... count me in as a die hard Cat fan that will probably never go to another cat-griz game in Missoula. Its just not worth dealing with all the BS, people trying to fight ya cuz yer wearing Cat gear, etc..... This goes both ways, I know plenty of griz fans that say the same thing about going to Cat-Griz in Bozeman.

If you are in the mood to get in a fight, then yeah... game on! ha.
I couldn’t have said it better myself. Cool stadium but I’ve done two Cat/Griz there (both of which we won)...and there won’t be a third. Not worth the ******. Runs both ways though. I’ve seen Cats fans behave in a way that embarrassed me more than once on Cat/Griz day in Cat stadium. Such a bitter rivalry causes people to lose their senses.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:32 pm

I had my car vandalized at one game there. I also was verbally abused and had food thrown at my elderly mother and at me at another game. I know all Griz fans aren’t that way, just the drunk and stupid ones, but I don’t need the trouble.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:40 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:32 pm
I had my car vandalized at one game there. I also was verbally abused and had food thrown at my elderly mother and at me at another game. I know all Griz fans aren’t that way, just the drunk and stupid ones, but I don’t need the trouble.
I went to one Cat/Griz game in Missoula and came out to my Dad's truck with 4 slashed tires and a note on the windshield that said F*** Bozeman and F*** the Cats. We parked a mile and a half from the stadium at a friend's house, my Dad's truck had no Cats stickers or anything on it and regular old Montana plates. But because there was a 6 on the plate we got singled out in a ridiculous and pathetic way. I avoid the town in general, and definitely won't going to another game. I also don't like giving them my money.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:41 pm

Heck, I was at a watch party in Reno at the Tamarack Junction, think it was three years ago, and thought I was going to have to defend myself against a fair sized 40ish year old DRUNK. I would have been 68 then. Wasn't too impressed with that jerk. But yes, most are good folks, they just like that other team.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:33 pm

Whenever you go into the opponents stadium you get crap. Any team, any stadium. It is magnified in the Cat/griz game because it means so much to us. I doubt the Weber fans get as passionate when they play ISU. I am guilty of that also. I can watch us lose to any team but not the griz. I have been to one game in MIssoula and to 3 satellite parties. It is hard for me. I never watch it on TV either. I record it and if we win I watch it 40 times (and each time like I have no idea who is going to win). If we lose I erase it.

As far as the fans I see it on both sides and I am much more amped up myself at the game. I try to be nice, I really do, but it takes very little to get me wound up. I used to sit in 104 and only once some griz fans sat next to me. He made some nasty comment about us after the very first play. Not sure where they watched the rest of the game.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:29 pm

For the "I'll never go to another Cat Griz game in Missoula" crowd, don't you all have a bunch of friends that are Griz fans? I thought that was pretty much inevitable in this state. I sure do and I make damn sure to hang out with them at the game, the tailgates, and the bars afterwards. I had a couple bad encounters several years ago but nothing in the past 8 or 10 years and It's a blast going to Cat Griz wherever it is.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:47 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:29 pm
For the "I'll never go to another Cat Griz game in Missoula" crowd, don't you all have a bunch of friends that are Griz fans? I thought that was pretty much inevitable in this state. I sure do and I make damn sure to hang out with them at the game, the tailgates, and the bars afterwards. I had a couple bad encounters several years ago but nothing in the past 8 or 10 years and It's a blast going to Cat Griz wherever it is.
I’ve always wondered that as well. My grandpa is diehard griz and we always give each other crap. My step brother is a fireman in Missoula and huge griz fan. I have tons of great (albeit confused) griz fan friends. I’ve never had a hard time going to Missoula and having a great time.

The streak did terrible things for this rivalry. Made people forget what it’s all about. Be great to get back to that point where you can talk smack about the other team to the fans around you....then a minute later pass them your flask!

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:48 pm

The last Cat game I attended was the horrible debacle in Missoula when Bleskin had his melt down. I was of course dressed from head to toe in MSU colors and was seated on the sideline section next to the NEZ. OF COURSE, I was the only Cat sitting in that area and was surrounded by griz completely. I'm a pretty big guy and I had no issues that would be considered "beyond the normal". I got ribbed a ton by my seat mates as we melted down on the field. BUT, I expected it. I gave it right back too when McChesney came in and played and scored twice.

The ONLY issue I had was walking downtown by some bar and some guy pops off...but before I could even respond, my sister a huge griz fan backed him down in front of his friends. I loved it! It was all fun and games. I'd go back in a heart beat...no worries!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:00 pm

Along those lines, pretty cool story about a trip to Missoula I had maybe 8 years ago.

I didn’t get my tix through MSU that year so ended up with some in the nez. Had a great time tailgating and had a pretty good buzz by kickoff. Much needed cause it was freezing. Anyway, it was a typical, energy-filled start to the game. Cats busted a big run and scored. I was going nuts and started yelling and kinda hitting the back of a huge dude in front of me. Griz fan. Didn’t say anything awful but was a little obnoxious. He wasn’t real impressed.

Anyway, fast forward a couple possessions and the griz answered. Dude turns around and starts yelling and smashing my shoulders. All in fun but he was definitely giving me a little extra. This went back and forth and before long we were exchanging pulls of our flasks. Gabe each other ****** all game which ended up being a cat win.

After a few celebratory drinks at the press box we went back to the hotel before hitting the bars. Wouldn’t you know I ran into this dude and all his griz buds at some bar later. We both bought our big groups a few rounds and gave each other ******. Great night.

Don’t remember the guys name but to me this is what this rivalry can be. I hate the griz, he hates the cats, we can totally bash one another and our teams, then knock a few back after. Great time!

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:33 pm

I've been to a couple of Cat/Griz games in Missoula and had a great time at both. I also went to the 2009 playoff game in Missoula when um defeated SDSU in one of the very best football games I've ever witnessed. I wore my Cat Gear and was treated well.
Marcus Mariana was magic that day.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/ga ... =293320149

My personal goal is to attend a game in every Big Sky Conference stadium. I have a few left.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:51 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:29 pm
I guess some of us are more selective with those we consider friends... :wink: I was blessed to grow up in an all Bobcat family. Anyone who went to college went to MSU. Guess that's what you get with an Ag family with a number of nurses and engineers in it... my brother in law is a UM fan and alumn, but he grew up in WA and ID during the streak so he was disconnected from it. My brother's GF is a UM fan. Other than those two black sheep, I don't really associate with UM fans... :-^

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

asstastic
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by asstastic » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:59 pm

“The Montana Grizzlies football team is unranked for the first time under head coach Bobby Hauck, ending a streak of 107 consecutive weeks making the Top 25 with him at the helm.”

and

“It’s the first time under Hauck the Griz have lost back-to-back regular-season games.”

Drives me crazy when I read this. HE LEFT. I would appreciate it if journalists, fans, and the like would start the clock over. It’s not 107 weeks. It’s like 101 and then it ended.

And then they can start over.

The griz were ranked under Beavis for a few weeks this year until their bubble burst and now the honeymoon is over.

I am one of those people who will never go to a game in Missoula. I loathe the Griz and their sense of entitlement.

And I have many good friends who are diehard Griz fans.

I laugh at those people who say “ I’ll root for either team in the playoffs”. Not me.

Punchin Griz fans in the mouth since 2002 [-o<

#RTD

19-4-0

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:08 pm

I've been to probably 7 or 8 games in Washington-Bobcat Stadium, and I can unequivocally say that I'll go back again. It's an amazing place to watch a football game. I can hate the griz, but I respect what they have built and I'm jealous of the stadium. Wouldn't trade a lot else, but definitely that. There are always high emotions on both sides at these games, both in Bozeman and Missoula, but if you are venturing into enemy territory, you have to grow a little thicker skin and walk around with a little humility. Like others have said, if you go on the defensive and act aggressive, you probably won't have a lot of fun. If you walk around not looking for trouble and just ignore the idiots, diffuse the situations that arise with a joke and a shared drink, and don't go flapping back telling them they suck etc., you'll have fun.

And remember these things when the game is in Bozeman. Years ago, I didn't come to the defense of a buddy of mine that was getting harassed by some Cats after the game because he's a griz fan. I didn't chip in, but I didn't say anything to back him up. He wasn't pissed at them, he was pissed at me. Thankfully, he called me on it, and I've felt bad about it for 15 years now, and I don't let it happen again. We can be part of the solution. If/when you see someone belligerently acting like a jackass to other fans - of any school - defend the visitors, call out the jackass, and then get the visitors a beer. Makes us look like better fans and hopefully in time makes Bozeman the envy of everyone for being such a great place.

GO CATS GO!!!